REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 11-03-2014, 04:58 PM   #1
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 4,763 Times in 1,748 Posts
So the new World Trade Center tower (WTC1) opened today

13 years after the September 11 attacks, the new tower finally opens today.

Construction basically began in 2004 (after debris was cleared out)

Said to be a symbol of American resiliance...

In contrast, the Burj Khalifa at almost 1000ft taller started in 2004 and opened in 2010.

American resiliance, or fading world power?
Advertisement
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-03-2014, 04:59 PM   #2
In RS I Trust

Thanked 17,574 Times in 4,294 Posts
they really should of opened it on Sep11th or Remembrance day would be a lot more fitting...
murd0c is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-03-2014, 05:03 PM   #3
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 2,667 Times in 960 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Great68 View Post
[IMG]
In contrast, the Burj Khalifa at almost 1000ft taller started in 2004 and opened in 2010.

I bet a lot of those American workers who built it are damn proud of their work and enjoyed their time building it.

While we are not against progress, innovation and growth, we feel that during all the excitement about the opening of the the Burj Khalifa (formerly known as Burj Dubai), it is forgotten that those who built it, mainly south-Asian migrant workers, have paid a high price for this ambitious project. Those workers toiled 12 hour a day, 6 days a week for pay as little as $4 per day.

Built by slave labour.

Behind the Glamorous Facade of the Burj Khalifa | Advancing the rights of migrant workers throughout the Middle East | Migrant Rights

A Human Rights Watch report from November 2006 about construction workers in the UAE found that “on average a migrant construction worker earns $175 a month (the average per capita income in the UAE is $2,106 a month).” The report found several abuses that construction workers suffer in the UAE, including “unpaid or extremely low wages, several years of indebtedness to recruitment agencies for fees that UAE law says only employers should pay, the withholding of employees’ passports, and hazardous working conditions that result in apparently high rates of death and injury.”

Wonder how many people died building the WTC1 VS the Burj K?
multicartual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 05:11 PM   #4
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by murd0c View Post
they really should of opened it on Sep11th or Remembrance day would be a lot more fitting...
agree. I think opening it on Remembrance day is better though. A lot of ppl is still not over Sept 11 yet.
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 06:27 PM   #5
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,372 Times in 3,904 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by multicartual View Post
I bet a lot of those American workers who built it are damn proud of their work and enjoyed their time building it.

Wonder how many people died building the WTC1 VS the Burj K?

2 ppl died in 1WTC's construction and many injuries, also the NY Daily Newspaper uncovered at least 34 serious injuries had gone unreported including broken backs EXCLUSIVE: Dozens of injuries at World Trade Center construction site went unreported - NY Daily News

with the Burj only 1 reported death occurred in 2007 when someone fell off of it however HRW (human rights watch) thinks there must have been many more deaths due to heat exhaustion Burj Khalifa (Dubai) ? The Truth Behind the Bling | Archi-Ninja
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-03-2014, 06:36 PM   #6

Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,322 Posts
Quote:

We're talking a blank cheque book in Dubai, you dump money at any project whether it's a paint job on a car, a home renovation or the tallest building in the world and you can speed up production.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I don´t care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. That´s how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa

Last edited by quasi; 11-03-2014 at 06:49 PM.
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-03-2014, 06:48 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by quasi View Post
We're talking a blank cheque book in Dubai, you dump money at project and you can speed up production.
Right which is what you think would have done in this particular case to show resilience instead of showing it took the US 13yrs! to recover (even though their economy is still in the dump)

Although it only cost $1.5bn to build the burj and $3bn to build the new wtc
This post FAILED by:
Old 11-03-2014, 06:50 PM   #8
what manner of phaggotry is this

Thanked 5,473 Times in 1,814 Posts
WTC1 cost $3.9billion vs BK's $1.5billion. Tells you a little something about the costs associated with using high quality trades, vs slave labor.
Old 11-03-2014, 06:52 PM   #9

Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,322 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StylinRed View Post
Right which is what you think would have done in this particular case to show resilience instead of showing it took the US 13yrs! to recover (even though their economy is still in the dump)

Although it only cost $1.5bn to build the burj and $3bn to build the new wtc
Who owns that building? Private investors probably are not willing to increase there budget by say 50% to get it done a few years sooner in Dubai they have so much money they can wipe there asses with it.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I don´t care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. That´s how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-03-2014, 07:09 PM   #10
HELP ME PLS!!!

Quote:
2 ppl died in 1WTC's construction and many injuries, also the NY Daily Newspaper uncovered at least 34 serious injuries had gone unreported including broken backs EXCLUSIVE: Dozens of injuries at World Trade Center construction site went unreported - NY Daily News

with the Burj only 1 reported death occurred in 2007 when someone fell off of it however HRW (human rights watch) thinks there must have been many more deaths due to heat exhaustion Burj Khalifa (Dubai) ? The Truth Behind the Bling | Archi-Ninja
There are unreported casualties on both sides. But which one is importing cheap disposable labour?
Old 11-03-2014, 07:22 PM   #11
MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD

Thanked 3,511 Times in 1,156 Posts
It's a beautiful building I must say when I saw it in person, Almost appears to dissapear on a clear day.
[03-07, 03:26] Yodamaster - The feeling when you quickly insert without hitting the sides
nabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 07:26 PM   #12
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 2,420 Times in 669 Posts
That's comparing apple and oranges. That's like saying, "by contrast, the Chinese could have built that in a week"
Old 11-03-2014, 07:26 PM   #13
:inoutugh:

Thanked 5,833 Times in 1,836 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nabs View Post
It's a beautiful building I must say when I saw it in person, Almost appears to dissapear on a clear day.
I see what you did there..
Old 11-03-2014, 07:39 PM   #14
I help report spam so I got this! <--

Thanked 1,215 Times in 535 Posts
I'm sure they have considered the option of building the tallest, baddest motherfucking tower in the universe but this was chosen in place instead for better reason than showcasing the US is a fading world power.
Nlkko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 07:48 PM   #15
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,478 Times in 1,679 Posts
Is it a coincidence that the timing of the new WTC tower is close to the U.S. and its allies' war against ISIS?

America's symbolic way of saying "fuck Terrorists?"

Old 11-03-2014, 08:03 PM   #16
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,775 Times in 8,169 Posts
Quote:

I think a smaller tower built by Americans is more symbolic than all the ridiculously ostentatious structures built by slaves in that godforsaken shithole.
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 08:22 PM   #17
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,238 Times in 5,599 Posts
since this has become a burj discussion..

i was amazed when at the top of the eifel tower they had the comparison charts inside, i havent been to the CN tower since i was like 10, but the CN tower is only very slightly taller than the Eifel tower, and the Burj is almost 3 times the height of both

:S
Old 11-03-2014, 11:15 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
I think a smaller tower built by Americans is more symbolic than all the ridiculously ostentatious structures built by slaves in that godforsaken shithole.
As if undocumented workers weren't used in 1wtc.... (they were, it was on the news sometime ago about a bunch getting arrested) if you Google it though you'll only get a load of results regarding all the illegals that died in the wtc during 9/11 fighting for gov't. Support

Cool gif showing the construction

This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 11-03-2014, 11:28 PM   #19
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,775 Times in 8,169 Posts
Quote:
As if undocumented workers weren't used in 1wtc.... (they were, it was on the news sometime ago about a bunch getting arrested) if you Google it though you'll only get a load of results regarding all the illegals that died in the wtc during 9/11 fighting for gov't. Support

Cool gif showing the construction

illegal immigrants is quite a different thing from government sanctioned slavery. Come on
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-03-2014, 11:43 PM   #20
Banned (ABWS)?

Thanked 3,978 Times in 1,684 Posts
Quote:

13 years after the September 11 attacks, the new tower finally opens today.

Construction basically began in 2004 (after debris was cleared out)

Said to be a symbol of American resiliance...

You noob...

The WTC1's roof is exactly 1368 ft tall, which was the same height as the original North Tower.
An antennae was added on top to bring the structure's exact height to 1776 ft. I'll let you figure out the significance of 1776 (for Americans).

It was never intended to challenge the Burj Khalifa or to show "world power" by having the tallest penis sticking up in the sky.
Last edited by AzNightmare; Today at 10:09 AM
AzNightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 01:34 AM   #21
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 2,667 Times in 960 Posts
I love America and everything it represents. Even with all of the Anita Sarkeesians and other social justice warriors, with all of the rednecks, queers, retards, pop star faggots and Dan Bilzerians, I'm so happy America exists.

Life is a playground, thank America for that.
multicartual is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 11-04-2014, 07:15 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
illegal immigrants is quite a different thing from government sanctioned slavery. Come on
its not that far off, illegals are paid less than min wage in the states with no rights and if they get injured they're simply told to fuck off in an expensive inhospitable environment

with the uae sure they were paid shit wages too about 15 Emirati for a full day but that's not too far off from pay in surrounding countries and prices aren't as high as they are in the states (except in the wealthy areas)

my point is they're both bad, I would agree UAE is worse but you can't praise one while demonizing the other
This post FAILED by:
Old 11-04-2014, 07:37 AM   #23
The Brown Reason

Thanked 5,863 Times in 1,525 Posts
Quote:
its not that far off, illegals are paid less than min wage in the states with no rights and if they get injured they're simply told to fuck off in an expensive inhospitable environment

with the uae sure they were paid shit wages too about 15 Emirati for a full day but that's not too far off from pay in surrounding countries and prices aren't as high as they are in the states (except in the wealthy areas)

my point is they're both bad, I would agree UAE is worse but you can't praise one while demonizing the other
Uhh .. yeah you can -- I'd rather be a foreign worker in America than UAE any day of the week

Foreign workers are considered 'untouchables' in their culture -- it is socially acceptable to beat them for any reason and in general treat them like shit. They go to their home country, promise them good money, and once they get to Dubai essentially their passports are taken away, they are charged for their shelter/food and are basically stuck in a cycle where they can never get enough money to get out. On top of that, no running water, no sewer systems, and living in all-male shanty towns in the desert where the heat easily surpasses 40 degrees celsius with no AC either.

Deaths aren't reported because they don't have to be, there's footage of some of these workers being interviewed and they admit each one of them knows of at least 1 or 2 people that have died on a construction site, or because they decided to just kill themselves because of the situation they were stuck in
BrRsn is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-04-2014, 08:25 AM   #24
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,238 Times in 5,599 Posts
Who cares?

The bottom line is, despite what the bleeding hearts might think, is that NOT everyone is entitled to basic human rights. Especially when your government couldn't care less whether you live or die. In fact it's probably far better that you die than live.

The guys working on the burj, the kids in India working on salvage yards shoulder deep in mercury. If they weren't doing that, they probably wouldn't be doing anything and as a result wouldn't be eating.

*Sinatra voice * That's lifeeeee!

Last edited by Hondaracer; 11-04-2014 at 08:31 AM.
Hondaracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 09:23 AM   #25
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOS'd View Post
I see what you did there..
I think he was being serious, because thats how it really looks
Its crazy that when a plane fly's by about every minute or so the planes shadow goes across the building
VR6GTI is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: