REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Mobile Phone & Tablet Chat

Mobile Phone & Tablet Chat Need to unlock your phone? Check us out at JP Cellular Repair.
Smatphones, Tablets, Pagers (lol), Accessories, Networks, Services, Tips & Tricks, Download ringtones, Screen savers..

Old 11-06-2014, 07:44 AM   #1
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 2,485 Times in 1,007 Posts
Official Battery Life thread

So, never really saw one so decided to make one..

Really impressed with the results..

I dont really use my phone much except for some SMS/Whatsapp, surf web to look for info and some music. Other then that, dont really use my phone...

OnePlus One
Stock CM11s rom
Franco Kernel with some tweaks

Whats your best results?
Advertisement
Old 11-06-2014, 07:55 AM   #2
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
As long as it gets me pass the day I am happy. Usually when I get off work I still have about 85% or more.
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 07:50 AM   #3
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FerrariEnzo View Post

I dont really use my phone much except for some SMS/Whatsapp, surf web to look for info and some music. Other then that, dont really use my phone...

OnePlus One
Stock CM11s rom
Franco Kernel with some tweaks

Whats your best results?
you really shouldn't discharge the battery that low, you should keep the battery topped up
dicecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 08:07 AM   #4
Rs has made me the man i am today!

I found out recently that AMOLED screens use less power when it's displaying black because it doesn't use one big backlight. I changed my wallpaper to black and going to experiment to see if it helps at all.

mos_skeeto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 11:14 AM   #5
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by dicecube View Post
you really shouldn't discharge the battery that low, you should keep the battery topped up
Hope this isn't a dumb question, but can you share more info on this theory?

Whenever I buy a new product, whether it be a laptop, cellphone, PSVITA, etc etc, I always ask myself "Do I want to preserve this battery as long as possible?"

After asking myself that, I usually just end up charging it whenever without worrying about the battery life and "proper charge cycles" or whatever.

I always hear different ideas on preserving battery life. Some say to deplete it completely the first time you use it, and fully charge it.

Other people say just charge and unplug whenever, it doesn't matter.

You're saying not to let it drop that low, and keep it topped up... constantly? as often as possible?

So confused lol. Hope this isn't a thread jack, but was hoping you guys can share your experiences/methods, and how they have worked out for you. NOTE: I'm in the process of buying a new Cellphone soon. So, I hope to keep the battery healthy for as long as possible ;P

Thanks in advance!
Old 11-07-2014, 02:13 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dicecube View Post
haha... I know.. should charge it when it gets around 50-60% or so...

I was just testing for the hell of it...
Old 11-07-2014, 04:37 PM   #7
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 6,697 Times in 1,625 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PuYang View Post
Hope this isn't a dumb question, but can you share more info on this theory?

Whenever I buy a new product, whether it be a laptop, cellphone, PSVITA, etc etc, I always ask myself "Do I want to preserve this battery as long as possible?"

After asking myself that, I usually just end up charging it whenever without worrying about the battery life and "proper charge cycles" or whatever.

I always hear different ideas on preserving battery life. Some say to deplete it completely the first time you use it, and fully charge it.

Other people say just charge and unplug whenever, it doesn't matter.

You're saying not to let it drop that low, and keep it topped up... constantly? as often as possible?

So confused lol. Hope this isn't a thread jack, but was hoping you guys can share your experiences/methods, and how they have worked out for you. NOTE: I'm in the process of buying a new Cellphone soon. So, I hope to keep the battery healthy for as long as possible ;P

Thanks in advance!
A quick google gave me this page, which is essntially what you're looking for:
How To Take Care of Your Smartphone Battery the Right Way

Basically,

Depleting it first use applies to Nickel based rechargeable batteries. A lot of older appliances and phones came with Nickel Cadmium or Nickel Hydride batteries, and this would be true. Nickel based batteries have a "memory" effect, so a full discharge and recharge, would in essence "train" your battery to work properly.

Most, if not all newer appliances and phones use a Lithium based battery, which works very differently. They have a set number of charges, and everytime you fully discharge it, that's you shaving off the battery life.

Lithium Polymer (li-po) batteries are also more sensitive, so it's actually important to charge them correctly. The stories you hear about phones exploding while charging are usually all traced back to using shitty chinese chargers. Official products are best, 3rd party chargers (Belkin, etc.) will work fine, night market shit should be avoided.

Edit: To answer your question, it doesn't matter - don't let it drain. It's obviously ok to do it once or twice if its inevitable, but constantly letting it drain will ruin your battery. This is why removable batteries are a bonus, because eventually your battery will become shitty, and you can just replace it.
inv4zn is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-07-2014, 10:30 PM   #8
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Thanks for the link and info!

Looks like my PSVita's battery is doomed LOL. I charge it and play it, then it sits for MONTHS without me touching it, and the battery is always completely dead when I take it out again. Not gonna lose sleep over this, cause boohoo to my boring Vita ;p

Unfortunately, I have a habbit of leaving my phone plugged in over night while sleeping haha. I always like a fully charged phone in the morning. I'll probably follow the 50-80% guide for my new phone though~

thanks again!
Old 11-07-2014, 10:42 PM   #9
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 6,697 Times in 1,625 Posts
I think I read somewhere newer phones don't actually charge to 100%.

Your phone will display 100, but the actual battery is not charged to 100.

Not sure if true though. For what it's worth, I leave mine plugged in all night as well. I think 99% of the world does too lol
inv4zn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 11:32 PM   #10
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,114 Times in 482 Posts
Alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 02:35 AM   #11

Nice.. whats your Screen time?
Old 11-08-2014, 02:08 PM   #12
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,114 Times in 482 Posts