REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   Remembrance Day 11/11 - Lest We Forget (https://www.revscene.net/forums/699537-remembrance-day-11-11-lest-we-forget.html)

JD¹³ 11-10-2014 05:09 PM

Remembrance Day 11/11 - Lest We Forget

November 11th this year (2014) marks the 100th anniversary of the start of WWI and the 70th anniversary of D-Day which turned the tides of WWII. Canadians have lost over 100,000 lives with hundreds of thousands more wounded throughout its military history. Canadians have fought in WWI, WWII, the Spanish Civil War, Korean War, Gulf War I, the Yugoslav Wars, Afghanistan, Libya, and are now part of the coalition taking on ISIS in Iraq. We have also taken on numerous peacekeeping and humanitarian missions around the world. This thread is for those who are no longer with us, who were wounded in combat, and who continue to serve our great nation. I have friends on the ground and in the air over Iraq right now, and I'll be thinking of them and all that came before them while on parade tomorrow.

Soundy 11-10-2014 05:46 PM

hchang 11-10-2014 05:49 PM

Those pics man.... Right in the fucking feels

Jmac 11-10-2014 09:02 PM

I have a cousin and a friend both in the military, both have done numerous tours in the middle east. Some of the shit I see working at the hospital rattles me, so I can't even imagine myself lasting long in a war zone.

Here's my friend Lindsay talking about PTSD last year:

pastarocket 11-10-2014 09:23 PM

-mad respect for our country's military personnel, both past and present, who sacrificed so much in their lives so that we can live with the freedom that we have in this country. :bigthumb:#Canadaremembers

http://e-forwards.com/wp-content/upl...AND-QUOTE.jpeg

murd0c 11-11-2014 10:45 AM

My grandfather trained as a Canadian Navy seal in WW2 and kept it as a secret until before his death on Dec11.05.. He was one of the best men I have ever known and I'm thankful for everything he did and everyone else to help us live the life we have today.

http://i.imgur.com/hy2hjng.jpg

sdubfid 11-11-2014 11:59 AM

They don't make em like they used to

Zedbra 11-11-2014 05:35 PM

That last video got me.

I took my family and my International Student to both the Remembrance Day Ceremony and then wreath laying today here in town. It is important that we teach the next generation to never forget those few that go so much to so many.

JD¹³ 11-11-2014 08:35 PM

meme405 11-11-2014 08:55 PM

Our entire site of 350 guys did a full stand down outside of our mill building today for 1 full minute. It was something to see considering it was -15 outside.

westopher 11-11-2014 09:06 PM

The best way we can honour our fallen soldiers is to support the ones that survived. Our country needs to treat vets better than it does. More vets die from suicide than they do from battle in the modern military, and thats just fucked.

hchang 11-11-2014 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by meme405 (Post 8555412)
Our entire site of 350 guys did a full stand down outside of our mill building today for 1 full minute. It was something to see considering it was -15 outside.

Let me go get you a cookie

white rocket 11-12-2014 08:26 AM

Had a great Remembrance Day. My grandfather was honoured for his service in WWII by being asked to place the wreath on the Cenotaph at Richmond City Hall on behalf of all veterans. It was quite the honour and awesome to see.

adambomb 11-13-2014 04:27 PM

Unfortunate that this dipshit has pissed off so many veterans with his actions.

:seriously: :failed:

Quote:

Ottawa police are now investigating a Quebec man who is alleged to have illegally worn a Canadian Forces uniform during Remembrance Day ceremonies at the National War Memorial.

The Department of National Defence has now confirmed that Franck Gervais is not a member of the military.
http://static.theglobeandmail.ca/ecc...ldier13nw1.jpg

Police investigating after suspicious soldier deemed a fake - The Globe and Mail

Tr1ll 11-13-2014 06:24 PM

Don't see how he thought he was going to get away with what he did, especially after giving an interview on national news.

And his beret looks like shit.

JD¹³ 11-13-2014 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by adambomb (Post 8556093)
Unfortunate that this dipshit has pissed off so many veterans with his actions.

:seriously: :failed:

http://static.theglobeandmail.ca/ecc...ldier13nw1.jpg

Police investigating after suspicious soldier deemed a fake - The Globe and Mail

Very well formed Airborne beret, wearing an Air Force blue shirt under his Army DEU's, with engineer pins?, and a non-reg beard?! What a moron and a scumbag. I hope they charge him.

Tr1ll 11-13-2014 07:01 PM

Hondaracer 11-13-2014 07:34 PM

I saw the story on the news today and he's got all these wedding photos of his own wedding wearing all the uniform and shit..

so i dont really get it, was he trying to have some facad, or is he just fucked up in the head? or he just likes getting dressed up in it?

MG1 11-13-2014 08:04 PM

Messed up poser........... mental illness comes in all forms, like the Chinese dude at my high school who thought he was Scottish - accent as well as dressing up like one.

a00755836 11-15-2014 07:48 PM

CHARGED!

Man faces four charges of impersonating decorated soldier on Remembrance Day - The Globe and Mail

Ulic Qel-Droma 11-16-2014 04:11 AM

even as a member of the forces... i don't feel he's "taking" anything away.

he's just some guy that wants to be something he isnt a part of. any vet should take it as flattery.

no different than a kid wanting to dress up as a soldier.

he's just a doofus... too much ego on what is "rightfully earned".

rightfully earned isnt an appearance. it's just knowing what you've done. who cares if there's an imitator. flattery at worst.

ruin a man's life, just because he dressed up as something he wanted to be. everyone has a dream lol. he just wanted to be a soldier, so he did. who the fuck cares.

let the kid be a kid. i'm sure you guys have better business than to dictate what this grown man can do or can't do.

yeah, it's pathetic. and that's all it is. fuck him, who the FUCK cares.

"stealing our valour" my ass. knowing you did the real thing is good enough. leave the retard alone. he knows he's a fake. that's all that matters.

Hondaracer 11-16-2014 07:35 PM

pretty much, also like how often do you see Canadian forces in uniform out and about? almost never

when they showed examples in the states it seemed like they all dressed up trying to get chicks, or free drinks, or discounts on shit, etc.

this guy is just kinda fucked, and to wear it to your wedding when youre not actually in the forces? lol

Zedbra 11-16-2014 07:47 PM

Thing I don't like and why they should make an example of this guy is that he dressed in uniform and walks right up to Cenotaph where one of our soldiers was killed just a few weeks before. From that event, many more people attended and it just labels it as an easy way to invite possible wackos from walking right into a group and going crazy. I'm not a guy that is a fear monger, but it is a plausible situation that should be publicly corrected, and this schmuck is gonna be the fall guy.

Pho Dac Biet 11-16-2014 09:24 PM

he's probably leading a double life where his wife and her family think he's a soldier. When approached for the interview he had to play the part to keep selling the lie. That woman next to him looked very proud of him.