REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 11-11-2014, 01:52 PM   #1
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Canada Post custom duties reassessment?

So i ordered a front lip for my car from ebay that costs roughly $60CAD with shipping around $110 CAD from the US(USPS).

I received a delivery notice on my door and the custom fees owed is $308.12.........that is just ridculous, has anyone have experience with reassessment from customs?

Canada post has noted that I should call CBSA.
Advertisement
extracrunchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 03:04 PM   #2
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,382 Times in 3,908 Posts
when you pick up your lip, there will be a customs form attached to your package (since its from usps/canada post otherwise you'll need to download one), the front of it is your invoice and the back of the form is for you to fill out to request a reassessment

you'll have to provide your receipts etc and mail it in, after that it can take up to 2 months iirc to get a cheque or a denial letter
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 03:16 PM   #3
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

is the $308 total or just the custom fees? When i ordered my exhaust across the border the brokerage fee was EXPENSIVE.
ree666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 03:17 PM   #4

So basically I won't be able to return it after the assessment and pay whatever the assessment is?
Old 11-11-2014, 03:17 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquar1u2 View Post
is the $308 total or just the custom fees? When i ordered my exhaust across the border the brokerage fee was EXPENSIVE.
It was written on the delivery notice, so it was strictly customs fee
Old 11-11-2014, 04:24 PM   #6
The Brown Reason

Thanked 5,863 Times in 1,525 Posts
This happened to me last year when I ordered some goods from England, and the shipper wrote the declared value as being way higher than what I paid. They wanted something like $400 for duties when I paid $600 + tax for the item -- I refused the package and it got sent back (didn't wanna wait the months it takes for a re-assessment and risk losing $400)

They re-sent the package with the correct amount declared, no customs were due
BrRsn is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-11-2014, 05:12 PM   #7
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

This thread just reminded me of something that happened about 8 months ago.

I received an express package from within Canada but the post office assessed me something to the tune of $60 in duties. I needed the item immediately so paid it off on the spot and decided to deal with a reassessment later. I sent off the form and receipt later that week to the CBSA but forgot about it up until now. I didn't follow up on it and don't think I ever got reimbursed!
BillyBishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 05:49 PM   #8
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,382 Times in 3,908 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by extracrunchie View Post
So basically I won't be able to return it after the assessment and pay whatever the assessment is?
you can return the item if you want

you can refuse pickup right now and have it returned to sender without you paying a dime

or you can pay the assessment and request a reassessment based on your evidence

and if you decide to return the item after paying the assessment include your return shipping invoice along with your reassessment form to request all your taxes back
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-11-2014, 07:30 PM   #9
I don't get it

Thanked 2,127 Times in 204 Posts
you also have the option of refusing the item and getting it returned to cbsa for reassessment
Coren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 09:03 PM   #10
I subscribe to the Revscene NWS thread(s)

They won't return your brokerage fee though. They screwed up and somehow charged me $30 in taxes and fees on a $35 item. (for some reason,the CBSA import form said the value was $160 but the actual customs declaration said $35)

I ended up getting $14 of the $30 back, so basically that was the $10 fee the GST+PST on the actual value. Honestly, if they didn't f*ck up on the actual value, I wouldn't have had to pay the customs fee so I probably should have argued that but just be prepared to not get some of it back.
syee is offline   Reply With Quote