REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > 4x4's and the Great Outdoors

4x4's and the Great Outdoors THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
When pavement meets dirt, Beautiful British Columbia
When life on tarmac isn't enough. This section is for 4x4 Offroad Events, Pics, Discussion. Places to test your truck, Techniques and Skills. Everyone of all skill levels are welcome. Got a wicked campsite you would like to share? Discover the great outdoors, gear discussion etc.
A little mud never hurts, so get down and dirty...

Old 11-13-2014, 05:57 PM   #1
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

upgrading a basic tacoma to off roading

im looking into buying a tacoma, i want the 4x4 v6 dual cab, and i want it to be fully off road capable for hunting. would it be better to buy it with the offroad package or go to an auto shop and get them to install one?
Advertisement
kyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 06:32 PM   #2
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

Thanked 1,118 Times in 161 Posts
if u are mechanically inclined i would upgrade everything specifically to your liking if not then you should buy prepped.
Jayboogz is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-13-2014, 07:24 PM   #3
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

do i really need to be that mechanically inclined? couldnt i just go to the shop and get them to do everything? haha
Old 11-13-2014, 07:28 PM   #4
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

but yes i am somewhat, although i know next to nothing about the mechanics of a truck i am willing to learn
Old 11-13-2014, 11:58 PM   #5
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

Thanked 1,118 Times in 161 Posts
your gonna break stuff eventually offroading.

what do you wanna do to the truck anyways?
Jayboogz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 02:14 AM   #6
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 3,782 Times in 1,242 Posts
OME lift kit, 33's and you'll go more places than you know what to do with.
Old 11-14-2014, 04:10 AM   #7
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 4,069 Times in 1,253 Posts
Just get the trd off road edition

Quote:
MG1: in fact, a new term needs to make its way into the American dictionary. Trump............ he's such a "Trump" = ultimate insult. Like, "yray, you're such a trump."
bcrdukes yray fucked bcrdukes up the nose

dapperfied yraisis
dapperfied yray so waisis

FastAnna you literally talk out your ass
FastAnna i really cant
FastAnna yray i cant stand you
yray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 11:18 AM   #8
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 3,899 Times in 1,380 Posts
what Gab said. The Tacoma is an amazing beast in stock form anyway. A little clearance with better tires and you are golden. Unless you are getting the Off Road package on the Access Cab then don't bother. You can't get the rear e-locker on a double cab in Canada; which sucks balls. I'm not sure what else the TRD Sport package gives you in terms of better "off road" equipment.

If you can deal with a short box then get the TRD Off Road Pro double cab in the States. Four doors with the e-locker. The Pro's now come with remote res Bilstein shocks all around. Pretty killer stuff.
white rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-14-2014, 11:35 AM   #9
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

i pretty much want what the offroad package comes with, Active Traction Control (A-TRAC)
Rear Differential Locks, and upgraded shocks, but not all the unnecessary extras that you have to pay for as part of the package like the chrome etc. and also you cant get the offroad package with the dual cab only the access cab. so can you get rear differential locks installed at a shop somewhere in van or is that not possible or to expensive?
Old 11-14-2014, 11:38 AM   #10
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by white rocket View Post
what Gab said. The Tacoma is an amazing beast in stock form anyway. A little clearance with better tires and you are golden. Unless you are getting the Off Road package on the Access Cab then don't bother. You can't get the rear e-locker on a double cab in Canada; which sucks balls. I'm not sure what else the TRD Sport package gives you in terms of better "off road" equipment.

If you can deal with a short box then get the TRD Off Road Pro double cab in the States. Four doors with the e-locker. The Pro's now come with remote res Bilstein shocks all around. Pretty killer stuff.

i would get it in the states, but from what ive heard its really hard to bring them over into canada and you wont get the 5 year warranty that comes with buying it brand new... as far as i know.
Old 11-14-2014, 11:39 AM   #11
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,595 Times in 922 Posts
yeah buy the trd edition, no point in trying to cheap out now.

put about a 4" lift on it and 33's. it'll be high enough and you'll be able to have so much fun with it.

edit: not sure what your price range is, but this is a nice one. http://vancouver.craigslist.ca/pml/ctd/4749754197.html
Gucci Mane is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-14-2014, 12:16 PM   #12

You can buy a TRD double cab and have a shop install the factory Toyota e-locker. I would guessimate a cost of about $1,000 for parts and labour. The only reason to upgrade the suspension is for extra clearance and articulation as the stock stuff is pretty good. Toytec makes pretty decent stuff so you can check them out for lifts. Or go all out with Fox or ICON.

The Toyota warranty thing is up for debate. I've heard that Toyota dropped their policy on it as there are different model in the US market that Canadians want. It's more about product options availability rather than a cost savings, which is why manufacturers put up blockers in the first place.
Old 11-14-2014, 01:04 PM   #13
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

do you think its necessary to get the e-lockers for off roading in bc(just going through hunting trail in the interior) or should i be good just throwing in the bilstien shocks and maybe 33's?
Old 11-14-2014, 01:53 PM   #14

No one really "needs" a rear locker. It's just cool that Toyota has the e-locker option. Saves having on-board air for an air locker(ARB, etc). Normal 4WD should be enough but when you get hung up and the front left tire and right rear tire are teetering(sp?) it's handy to have.

Read up on rear lockers and see how they operate. You be the judge whether you would like to have it or not.

As for the 33's, yes, you would need a lift to get the tires to clear without rubbing.
This post thanked by:
Old 11-14-2014, 03:26 PM   #15
Meet on the Level and Part on the Square

Thanked 2,093 Times in 669 Posts
I take my Nissan Frontier crew cab long box with 5" lift and 33" tires down all the access/ex-FSR roads for hunting with no issues and no lockers. This year, we took my friend's 2001 Dodge dually and it was walking over trees etc.

E-lockers have a tendency to break, not sure how well the Toyota ones are, but they really aren't needed unless you are climbing steep rock faces or going through deep mud on a regular basis.
Zedbra is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-14-2014, 04:35 PM   #16
Survivor MOD

Thanked 1,623 Times in 577 Posts
i would just get the double cab sport edition and throw on whatever you need.

swap out the suspension. if you're on a budget go with OME's if you've got money to blow, fox/king/icon all make a nice remote resi setup.

i'd go 3 inch lift and 33's. its a good balance of off-road clearance and on-road driving (which you'll do the most of).

i would go with an ARB locker instead of an e-locker for a few reasons. mainly, it gives you the secondary benefit of having on-board air.

upgrade the factory skids to some better armor. also get a nice set of sliders. the sliders not only protect your rocker panel but also give you a point to jack from when using a hi-lift.

as for bumpers? unless you're doing some hardcore crawing you would be just fine with the factory bumpers. a hidden winch setup is nice to have if you do plan on venturing solo. an alternative is to have from and rear mounted hitches so that you can pop the winch onto whatever end you need when getting yourself out.

i would also include some creature comforts. ibs dual battery setup, arb roof top tent, etc

here's some inspiration

T4RAWR is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-17-2014, 08:41 AM   #17

^^^ugh! that's the dream truck right there. Access Cab Off Road. Just gorgeous.
This post thanked by:
Old 11-17-2014, 12:03 PM   #18
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,923 Times in 3,876 Posts
How hardcore is the stuff you're traveling on? I'd start with a stock truck and take it out for fun (not on a hunting trip) and see where it falls short.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-17-2014, 04:32 PM   #19
Survivor MOD

Thanked 1,623 Times in 577 Posts
only thing to keep in mind is that the anything that isnt a off road edition will lack skids for the gas tank so be mindful of obstacles.

el-cheapo solution is find an off road edition at a wreckers and pull the stock skid and bang it up till you can afford a nice set of skids like shrockworks or budbuilts.
T4RAWR is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-17-2014, 07:40 PM   #20
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
How hardcore is the stuff you're traveling on? I'd start with a stock truck and take it out for fun (not on a hunting trip) and see where it falls short.

not to hardcore mostly forest service roads, which can get pretty rough. im not going out looking for serious off roading by an means
Old 11-17-2014, 09:11 PM   #21
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,923 Times in 3,876 Posts
FSR's you're probably fine in a stock truck if you exercise a little caution in the rougher bits, though you obviously know the roads you'll be on better than we will. Determination and skill can get vehicles through a lot though, I've seen cars in places I would've hesitated to take my Cherokee.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-17-2014, 11:08 PM   #22
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,206 Times in 385 Posts
make sure it actually has front diff, some models have trd off road badging but are only rwd with elocker
sdubfid is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-19-2015, 06:44 PM   #23
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Thanked 1,141 Times in 385 Posts
Reviving from the dead because I may be in the market for a tacoma.

I would be looking at used, preferably 08 as I believe the TRD sports still came with an elocker.

-main question is to any current or past owners. How bad was the fuel mileage?

I read mixed reviews. My plan would be a 3" lift with 33" all terrain tires. I base most of reading off mpg, so it seems some people complain about mileage as low as 13-14mpg, and some say 16-17mpg. These are mixed/city driving.

-how do they drive around the city, the double cab short box is still pretty long at 17.3 feet. Is it quite cumbersome around town, or manageable and maybe almost car like shifting/maneuvering?

Any other basic information I should be aware of? I'm looking into a manual double cab, short box.
Old 07-19-2015, 08:46 PM   #24

are you getting rid of your 3500 ram for one?
Old 07-24-2015, 03:42 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by white rocket View Post
^^^ugh! that's the dream truck right there. Access Cab Off Road. Just gorgeous.
This one is pretty sick too!

Last edited by T4RAWR; 07-24-2015 at 09:23 PM. Reason: fixed photo link