REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > House and Home Renovations

House and Home Renovations THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Designing your new condo or townhouse? Renovating your kitchen? Share your photos and project ideas with other experts here! We're not just modifying our cars anymore..

Old 11-20-2014, 05:58 PM   #1
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

questions about framing a pony wall

hi guys, i'm going to build a straight 12' long x 8' tall pony wall, attached to one wall at studs. i'm wondering if this is going to be stable or if i'll need to add reinforcement of some kind. i'll be using steel frame on concrete floor.

thanks.
Advertisement

-----
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6793026 View Post
she's a whore. you're a loser.
in the garage:
'05 Dodge Ram 2500
'06 BMW 530i
'08 Chevy Equinox LT
the_rickster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 05:10 PM   #2
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

is it running full height to the ceiling? you'll want to secure it to the ceiling joints/structure somehow

if it's just a free standing wall will only attachments at the one end and floor it's going to be wobbly as fuck
blkgsr is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-24-2014, 05:37 PM   #3
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,340 Times in 5,649 Posts
im assuming it's only a half wall or smaller since you used the term pony

typically in wooden framing these would be secured heavilly with scructural straps. If it's on a concrete floor i'd say some leg bolts with big nuts + washers in the bottom plate would be best if you can

get a hammer drill, drill the hole, get some Hilti hit or some other sort of adhesive, get the bolts in place then drop the wall over the holes and secure with the nuts + washers
Old 11-24-2014, 05:40 PM   #4
The Brown Reason

Thanked 5,863 Times in 1,525 Posts
assuming you don't have radiant heating, what hondaracer mentioned sounds pretty good. I've done something similar w/ epoxy as the adhesive
BrRsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 04:24 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
im assuming it's only a half wall or smaller since you used the term pony

typically in wooden framing these would be secured heavilly with scructural straps. If it's on a concrete floor i'd say some leg bolts with big nuts + washers in the bottom plate would be best if you can

get a hammer drill, drill the hole, get some Hilti hit or some other sort of adhesive, get the bolts in place then drop the wall over the holes and secure with the nuts + washers
he said it was 12'x8'(high), that's full height in most houses hence my question

you're recommendation for bolting to concrete is WAY overkill......hammer drill 5/8" bit, wire and 3 1/4" duplex nails ever 2' is more than enough to keep that wall from moving......you can use screw in anchors is you want but epoxying rod is way too much, it's not a structural wall......same with the straps, only used in load bearing walls
blkgsr is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-25-2014, 06:33 AM   #6
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,340 Times in 5,649 Posts
We use straps in all our pony walls. But typically they are at the top a stair landing so it would be quite dangerous if the wall were to give away lol

Yea the duplex and wire is probably a much easier idea
Old 11-25-2014, 08:58 AM   #7
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,322 Posts
It's been said but the term pony wall by definition is a short wall usually like 3' or less high. Is there a ceiling above? If there is a ceiling just brace to U/S Slab/deck above the wall.

If I was going to do a traditional pony wall 3' or less depending on the span I'd use a brace similar to the one linked below at the end of the wall and possibly in the field depending on the span.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I donīt care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. Thatīs how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 03:26 PM   #8
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

bracing to the ceiling and or joists is not an option. too high. yes you're right a pony wall by definition is usually short, but in this case i was using the term to explain that it isn't full height or attached to two studs.

i've been advised by a framing expert to attach an eyelet bolt to the top corner of the end of the wall and another to the bottom corner of the wall that will be on the stud, run aircraft cable from top to bottom through the stud and get it as tense as possible. he said this will greatly reduce flexing in the wall. i've done a ton of research on finding the best way to do this wall and i have never heard of this technique.

-----
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6793026 View Post
she's a whore. you're a loser.
in the garage:
'05 Dodge Ram 2500
'06 BMW 530i
'08 Chevy Equinox LT
the_rickster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 01:58 AM   #9

ya that works