REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 11-25-2014, 04:29 PM   #1
RS controls my life!

Thanked 1,245 Times in 274 Posts
Raising Min. Wage to $15

Petition - Fight for $15 BC

Advertisement
Godzira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 04:35 PM   #3
RS controls my life!

why.

"In the U.S., cities including Seattle and San Francisco are moving to a $15 an hour minimum wage.

“Seattle and San Francisco know that increasing the minimum wage gives a boost to local economies,” said Irene Lanzinger, secretary treasurer of the BC Federation of Labour. “ Low wage earners are more likely to spend their money at businesses in their neighbourhood. Businesses may also experience improved employee retention and productivity when employees feel valued and respected.”
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 11-25-2014, 04:36 PM   #4
what manner of phaggotry is this

Thanked 5,473 Times in 1,814 Posts
Fuck no.

First of all, why does a 15 year old kid need to make $15/hour?

More importantly, what happens when all of the skilled labor who work their ass off to do better than minimum wage who are currently making $15-$18/hour suddenly don't have any incentive to work harder than a minimum wage job? They are going to need a raise to keep them at a pay grade above minimum wage to reflect their work level. So now why would a highly skilled labor or journeyman who is currently making $25/hour want to go thru all that effort to get there, when they can take the easy route and make about the same?

Second of all, raising minimum wage WILL increase costs on businesses who employ labor workers. So now that $10 meal that you worked 1 hour to afford is a $15 meal, which you still need to work 1 hour to afford, so affordability doesn't go up.
Old 11-25-2014, 04:39 PM   #5
RS controls my life!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRxtar View Post
Fuck no.

First of all, why does a 15 year old kid need to make $15/hour?

More importantly, what happens when all of the skilled labor who work their ass off to do better than minimum wage who are currently making $15-$18/hour suddenly don't have any incentive to work harder than a minimum wage job? They are going to need a raise to keep them at a pay grade above minimum wage to reflect their work level. So now why would a highly skilled labor or journeyman who is currently making $25/hour want to go thru all that effort to get there, when they can take the easy route and make about the same?

Second of all, raising minimum wage WILL increase costs on businesses who employ labor workers. So now that $10 meal that you worked 1 hour to afford is a $15 meal, which you still need to work 1 hour to afford, so affordability doesn't go up.
why wouldn't it raise wages for trades and salary workers? it has to start somewhere
Old 11-25-2014, 04:39 PM   #6
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,316 Times in 5,636 Posts
exactly.

Does somone who cant even get a mcdonalds order right deserve the same $15 a guy digging trenches all day long get? i'd say no.

This whole "children living in poverty" story the news is running the last few days kinda pisses me off. I get that some people are really in dire straights because of shitty circumstances etc.

but the story they led with was a teacher explaining her encounter with a mother of a student "the mother of the 8 year old, who had a 6 year old, who was also pregnant, living in a new city, broke down to me that the only thing she had in her fridge was a jar of olives"

Well.. not to sound cold hearted, but if you couldnt afford to feed one child, what exactly gave ya the idea to have 2 more?
Old 11-25-2014, 04:40 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzira View Post
why.

"In the U.S., cities including Seattle and San Francisco are moving to a $15 an hour minimum wage.

“Seattle and San Francisco know that increasing the minimum wage gives a boost to local economies,” said Irene Lanzinger, secretary treasurer of the BC Federation of Labour. “ Low wage earners are more likely to spend their money at businesses in their neighbourhood. Businesses may also experience improved employee retention and productivity when employees feel valued and respected.”
The government mandated raise in minimum wage does absolutely nothing to increase employee value and respect. If anything, Im now going to be pissed off that this useless tit is costing me so much money that if he is now expendable. At a $10 wage I could tolerate a few mistakes, but when he costs me 50% more, hes wasting me money. Plus Im still pissed off that hes making as much as my skilled workers make/ used to make.

If minimum wagers want to earn more in my company, they can work to earn that.

Minimum wage jobs arent supposed to be a career.

I would much rather see huge income tax incentives for low paid workers than see wages go up
Old 11-25-2014, 04:40 PM   #8
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 3,814 Times in 957 Posts
LOL @ $15/hr

Are people fucking retarded? Goodness these self-entitled fucks.
flagella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 04:40 PM   #9
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,316 Times in 5,636 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzira View Post
why wouldn't it raise wages for trades and salary workers? it has to start somewhere
lol... Construction right now is tight as FUCK when it comes to making money, people are litterally undercutting people to make HUNDREDS of dollars in profit on some jobs, and some are just taking work to break even in order to continue to bid on work.

a $3-$4 overall increase in wages to most struggling construction companies would mean shutting down.
Old 11-25-2014, 04:44 PM   #10
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,941 Times in 765 Posts
U want more money, get a better job

U want a better job, get skilled and/or work harder

U want a McJob, don't expect to be middle class, McJobs are for 15 yr olds and those working towards something more (ppl getting educated)

Yes, it is that simple
4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 04:44 PM   #11
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

Fuck that!

When I was younger I busted my balls for $15 an hour.

I agree raising to maybe $12 but FUCK $15
RickyTan3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 04:44 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
lol... Construction right now is tight as FUCK when it comes to making money, people are litterally undercutting people to make HUNDREDS of dollars in profit on some jobs, and some are just taking work to break even in order to continue to bid on work.

a $3-$4 overall increase in wages to most struggling construction companies would mean shutting down.
Exactly. Wages go up means company costs go up which means bids go up. But theres always an east indian company (no racist. just being honest) paying their family cash and room and board to work for them, that will undercut the fuck out of the job and get it. Which means the reputable company loses the job, and likely has to lay employees off.

If minimum wage goes up, so does unemployment.
Old 11-25-2014, 04:45 PM   #13
nuggets mod

Thanked 3,798 Times in 981 Posts
It's not that hard to make $15/hour.. if you're worth $15/h, you'll get $15/h. If you're not worth that much, you won't..
Old 11-25-2014, 04:47 PM   #14
RS controls my life!

well then.
This post thanked by:
Old 11-25-2014, 04:49 PM   #15
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,290 Times in 2,507 Posts
Undoubtedly, the cost of living is high in Vancouver, but my personal feeling is that this is primarily due to a high housing and transportation costs, not a low minimum wage. Trying to jack up the min wage when housing and transportation costs are the real culprit seems like a dumb solution.
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-25-2014, 04:55 PM   #16
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

The reason why San Francisco can afford to raise to 15/hr is because multi-billion dollar tech companies dump millions and millions of dollars into the talents they have there. There are a lot of engineers pulling 6 figures and up driving up cost of living.

We have nothing compared to places like those, our cost of living are jacked up by rich immigrant money, not because median incomes are rising. We can't afford 15/hr here.
Geoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 04:58 PM   #17
Returner of Lost Phones and Turtles

Thanked 3,997 Times in 963 Posts
BRB making petition to cap gas price at $1.00/L so I can afford a V8

21' 718 Cayman GTS 4.0
23' VW MK8 GTI 40th Anniversary
18' Tesla Model 3 LR RWD
21' Ducati Streetfighter V4 S

--
16' Mineral Grey F80 BMW M3 6MT SOLD -11/22
22' Halo Toyota GR86 6MT SOLD -11/22
12' Phantom Black - B8 Audi S4 - SOLD 04/19
07' WDP Acura TL Type-S - A-Spec/ATLP/H&R - SOLD 12/17
18' Matte Silver Ice - Triumph 765 Street Triple RS - SOLD 4/21
LP700-4 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-25-2014, 05:02 PM   #18
Wanna have a threesome?

Thanked 5,054 Times in 1,657 Posts
Quote:
Exactly. Wages go up means company costs go up which means bids go up. But theres always an east indian company (no racist. just being honest) paying their family cash and room and board to work for them, that will undercut the fuck out of the job and get it. Which means the reputable company loses the job, and likely has to lay employees off.

It's not just immigrant contractors.

I've bid against a number of contractors who were born in Canada that are basically buying work, and they've proceeded to go bankrupt, but their predecessors start up and take their place. They do it in an attempt to keep their crews busy so they don't walk but it simply doesn't work, because if they can't find profitable work now they won't be able to later.
MindBomber is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-25-2014, 05:04 PM   #19
Need to Seek Professional Help

Thanked 1,820 Times in 501 Posts
To be fair, it's customary for labour groups to ask for a higher amount than they expect to receive. If they just ask for $11 they won't get $11, but if they ask for $15 they can then "negotiate" $11.

That being said, the minimum wage should go up with the cost of living... but $4 dollar increase? No way. What will end up happening is that employers will just hire less people and/or overwork the remaining staff. Low-wage jobs are low-wage for a reason, they're not "lifer" jobs. Not to sound like a jerk but I don't know how one can work at McDonalds for their entire life (or that's what they're making it sound from the article) and be "satisfied" regardless of the wage lol.

The moral of the story is that kids are too entitled these days. How about you get out of Generation Me mode and think of the bigger picture...

EDIT: Not to mention, like someone said above, Vancouver's cost of living is high NOT due to high median incomes, but wealthy immigrant investor money that "invests" into the housing market, thereby keeping housing prices up, and a relatively high cost of fuel + public transport compared to other cities

Last edited by Tone Loc; 11-25-2014 at 05:23 PM.
Tone Loc is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-25-2014, 05:04 PM   #20
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
This will only hurt small business. The small shops will either close or have to lay ppl off. The big crop will still operate just fine because they will just pass the cost down to customers (they can afford to do that lol). So who suffers in end? Small business.
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-25-2014, 05:18 PM   #21
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traum View Post
Undoubtedly, the cost of living is high in Vancouver, but my personal feeling is that this is primarily due to a high housing and transportation costs, not a low minimum wage. Trying to jack up the min wage when housing and transportation costs are the real culprit seems like a dumb solution.
this

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoc View Post
The reason why San Francisco can afford to raise to 15/hr is because multi-billion dollar tech companies dump millions and millions of dollars into the talents they have there. There are a lot of engineers pulling 6 figures and up driving up cost of living.

We have nothing compared to places like those, our cost of living are jacked up by rich immigrant money, not because median incomes are rising. We can't afford 15/hr here.
+ this

Quote:

yup, temp foreign employees and Shady companies that pay their employees cash under the table.

You wonder how they can build a house for $100 a square foot and you see that it's guys getting paid $10 cash an hour. Needs to be a crackdown on this imo. Let the market decide, and if you crack down on the illegal cheap labour, the wages of labour should go up (less supply).
iEatClams is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-25-2014, 05:24 PM   #22
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,839 Times in 1,483 Posts
Fuck No.

A little off topic but on the same lines...

I do believe full service restaurant workers should be paid a higher wage like some other countries. Only have ever worked at McDonalds during my high school years I don't really have any food service experience but I know enough people that do. They survive on tips, and good tips. I think it's absolutely ridiculous what is expected from North Americans. 20-25% for bringing me my food, topping up my drink a couple times and i'm paying you the same amount that that 15 year old kid is sweating his balls off over an oven in a fast food restaurant for an entire shift? Something seems out of place.

I don't deny it's a tough job, they work hard and tips give some incentive for good service but god damn. If I want a $50 steak, I don't want to pay you $10 to ask me if I want it medium rare, and to walk it over to me without dropping it.

If they were paid a decent wage, food costs would go up, but I can guarantee not 20%. An added benefit the employees would even be taxed properly. But I suppose most students would starve ha. Fuck I eat out to much and I guess i'm a cheap ass.

Last edited by hud 91gt; 11-25-2014 at 05:41 PM.
hud 91gt is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-25-2014, 05:36 PM   #23
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

Thanked 1,127 Times in 134 Posts
3 years ago when I was making a minimum hourly wage, I would've totally sided with this. But it was because I was making so little I worked my ass off to have a salary like I do today. Making $15/hr a minimum will produce a lot of lazy fucks in the whole job industry. I guess it really depends what side of the fence you are on.
bicboi is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-25-2014, 05:38 PM   #24
The Brown Reason

Thanked 5,863 Times in 1,525 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LP700-4 View Post
BRB making petition to cap gas price at $1.00/L so I can afford a V8
Good analogy.

$15/hour is ridiculous. I have worked since ~2005? Working minimum wage taught me that i wanted more. Where's the motivation to go through the bullshit that's post-secondary if you're already living relatively comfortably?

Society doesn't function without people making $10/hour ... I don't wanna pay 50% more for shit just because people want to be paid more. I know people that have gone through a BCIT course / have a undergraduate degree and they're making $17/hour ... why the hell would anyone want to pay for all that school to only make $2/hour more than minimum wage?
BrRsn is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-25-2014, 06:02 PM   #25
HELP ME PLS!!!

Take a look at countries that had raised their minimum wage exponentially like in UK and Australia and you will notice first-hand that it DOES NOT improve affordability. Inflation will skyrocket, increasing the cost of basic necessity and services even higher. It's all a snowball effect.

That $8 bowl of large Pho you pay today will cost $13 tomorrow because that server makes $15/hr now. It will hurt small businesses because they can't afford to pass the additional cost to consumers, like large enterprises can.

And how is Canada's economy built?

From small businesses. This is the opposite of improving the lives of the working class.
willystyle is offline   Reply With Quote