REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 11-26-2014, 12:13 PM   #76
RS controls my life!

Thanked 1,245 Times in 274 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLOW View Post
for some reason i was imagining this as all part of your plan and you were like this

Advertisement
Godzira is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-26-2014, 12:19 PM   #77
The Brown Reason

Thanked 5,863 Times in 1,525 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzira View Post
I prefer this:

"Fuck this shit, we out!"
BrRsn is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-26-2014, 01:10 PM   #78
I keep RS good

Thanked 5,538 Times in 1,502 Posts
lol, you guys critisizing people for having kids when they can't afford it.

you fucking forget the sole purpose of your existence. is to fuck and have kids.

you think if people could control that shit, the world would be over populated? all those poor countries have the most problem with over population.

why don't we just make it illegal?

how about if you're poor and you have a kid, we force you to have an abortion?

how about if youre too poor to afford car parts, but you get them anyway, the government fuckign takes your car away.

are you guys fucking crazy.

as for 15 bux an hour...

you guys keep targeting 15 year olds and jobs.

guess what, if minimum wage is 15 bux an hour, i wouldnt be hiring any 15 year olds

and mcdonalds workers are not 15 years old. if you guys havent fucking noticed, they're like 25-40 year old workers. most of them are like immigrants.

when i was like 20 years old, i worked at the airport getting paid like 14 bux an hour. it was not bad for my age, especially since OT was x2.

what WAS sad was all the other people in my training group, were immigrants and shit and they had families and shit, and they were getting paid 14 bux an hour too.

i don't even know how the fuck they survived.

if they do raise it to 15 bux an hour, guess what, kids wont be getting no fucking jobs anymore, they'll fire all the kids, and start hiring all the 22-30 year olds that can't even get a job right now.

BC has a problem, i think the wage isnt the primary problem, it's the lack of opportunity. there's just no fucking jobs. doesn't matter what the fucking pay is.

it's fucking sad when 25-30 year olds can't find jobs or still have to push coffee at starbucks or some shit. and i can tell you it ain't because they're stupid or "can't work hard".

i've noticed a trend, instead of working at mcdix now people work at banks. u get a decent 14-20 dollars an hour starting depending on which bank. and u basically do what you do at mcdix but instead of pushing patties, you're pushing some financial bank product on people that don't need it or can't afford it lol!

low level banking as become the new mcdonalds.

as for people complaining about their businesses might have to shut down if they raise wages... well guess what, that's the great flood, and the businesses that can survive this change will survive, and the ones that don't, won't. if your margins are that thin, you're not succeeding, you're barely getting by.

the economy needs bigger stronger companies, not a buncha little ones that are fighting for scraps, sorry.

if it ain't a wage increase, it'll be the next recession or whatever the fuck. there will be some test that will come and it WILL sweep and clean out all the razor thin margin barely getting by companies. that's JUST the way it is. it's called capitalism. it's called competition. just cuz you started a company, doesn't fucking mean you have the right to survive. it doesn't mean jack shit other than you're on a higher alert for fending for yourself cuz there will be bigger meaner companies that are out to fucking eat you.

that being said, i really have no opinion on the 15 dollar hour wage thing. I am in for more job creation.

and not only CHEAPER education, but BETTER and more USEFUL education. education system is fucked.

if i education were so good, there wouldn't be a buncha university degree holders serving coffee or beer/food at local restaurants.

there's something fundamentally fucked up about our system. and it's nothing to do with gen Y and millennials being more "self centered".

if they all worked as hard as the great generation, we'd still be stuck in the same situation.

the basic framework is fucked.

and yes, CEO's are getting paid way too much lol. but we're fucking capitalists right? not communist... the weak die. the strong will prevail. there is no equality in capitalism. the bigger companies destroy the small ones. that's how it works.

Last edited by Ulic Qel-Droma; 11-26-2014 at 01:39 PM.
Ulic Qel-Droma is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-26-2014, 01:23 PM   #79
The Brown Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulic Qel-Droma View Post
Spoiler!
Ok .. so wage increase is not so bad.

but what are you gonna tell the construction worker making $20/hour, or the mill worker making $16/hour busting their asses with hard physical labour for 8+ hours a day? Their jobs are inherently more difficult, and in a resource-based economy, what incentive will there be for people to work these demanding jobs? Are you gonna tell them their job is only $1-$5/hour harder than flipping burgers?

The effects of a sweeping wage increase will reverberate far beyond just helping those struggling. Jealousy is an innate response in humans, how do you propose the government circumvents that?

this is going to open up a can of worms

BC as we know it won't work with the most desirable jobs being a fast food worker or cleaner
This post thanked by:
Old 11-26-2014, 01:34 PM   #80
I keep RS good

Thanked 5,538 Times in 1,502 Posts
let them be jealous.

so because of a few jealous people that don't want people getting to where they are with an "upgrade"... you're saying we have to satisfy these jealous people forever and therefore the system never gets an upgrade?

why are they even comparing to the people below them? LOL.

when CEO's get raises, does it make the person making 20 bux an hour go "oh my 20 bux is worth less now!"

where's the logic in that?

yeah the people full of themselves that want to see their "20 bux" stomp on lower 12 bux an hour will always be jealous

"i could afford a steak, but now this kid can too! i want two steaks instead" shut the fuck up man. just enjoy the fucking steak you already have.

let them be fucking jealous. what the fuck are they gonna do? QUIT? go ahead, the door is that way.
Ulic Qel-Droma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 01:43 PM   #81
Need to Seek Professional Help

Thanked 1,820 Times in 501 Posts
Probably one of the few times I agree with Ulic. BC has a problem, and raising the minimum wage every few years isn't going to fix it. IMO that problem is the overvaluation of education, like Ulic said above there are plenty of people waiting tables and working retail who have university degrees and simply can't find work. Nowadays you pretty much "have" to have a post-secondary degree, what good is that? To be starting your "adult life" off with $20-30,000 in debt if your parents didn't have the foresight/income to pay for it for you.

The flipside of this is that the trades industries really need people from all the baby boomers retiring... the stigma is always that people who do trades aren't "as good" as 9-5 drones and all that. My buddy is at BCIT right now for Automotive Tech and is literally being offered jobs by dealerships and he doesn't even have his Red Seal yet (but is close). Meanwhile, all the people I know who took like 6 courses/semester in uni and are graduating early with zero work experience can't find work.. surprise surprise

So in a way, maybe people are being "entitled"? By saying working a trade isn't good for them and all. I have pretty Asian parents and that's what they believe... stuck in that old mentality of "university degree = high paying job". Not anymore lol
Tone Loc is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-26-2014, 01:47 PM   #82
I wish I was where I was when I wished I was here

Thanked 3,098 Times in 733 Posts
Quote:

when CEO's get raises, does it make the person making 20 bux an hour go "oh my 20 bux is worth less now!"

The number of CEOs to people making $20/hour is far smaller.
hchang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 02:49 PM   #83
Banned (ABWS)

I Agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp View Post
This will only hurt small business. The small shops will either close or have to lay ppl off. The big crop will still operate just fine because they will just pass the cost down to customers (they can afford to do that lol). So who suffers in end? Small business.
I Agree, all this will do is put many small business either out of business or under a lot of pressure. It will drive up the costs of many and then nothing is accomplished.
VanCellClinic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 03:09 PM   #84
The Brown Reason

Quote:
let them be jealous.

so because of a few jealous people that don't want people getting to where they are with an "upgrade"... you're saying we have to satisfy these jealous people forever and therefore the system never gets an upgrade?

why are they even comparing to the people below them? LOL.

yeah the people full of themselves that want to see their "20 bux" stomp on lower 12 bux an hour will always be jealous

"i could afford a steak, but now this kid can too! i want two steaks instead" shut the fuck up man. just enjoy the fucking steak you already have.

let them be fucking jealous. what the fuck are they gonna do? QUIT? go ahead, the door is that way.
what I was trying to say is this will get more people demanding huge pay increases, and may set the precedent for wage increases to come.

While it may not seem like a huge detriment to the economy initially, we are heavily dependent on natural resources to generate revenue. There is a huge booming tech/biotech/pharmaceutical sector that we are barely a part of, and other countries routinely sweep up most of our talent contributing to the brain drain.

By increasing wages overall, it's going to become more difficult for companies to start up and stay in Canada. Not a big deal now, but this move seems pretty shortsighted imo. Canada's healthcare system actually buys a ton of their stuff from America -- we have maybe 2 large biotech companies in BC that I know of, one of them being Stem cell technologies. They sell most of their products abroad, and are projected to contribute 2-3 billion to the canadian government annually by 2020. I see that as a huge positive because it's not just Canadian money going back into the Canadian economy

anyways, just my 2 cents
Old 11-26-2014, 03:15 PM   #85
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,137 Times in 259 Posts
I sometimes feel alone in thinking it's not the governments job to educate children about everything. I agree that educating people about money is a good thing. Why can't parents teach their kids this? My father taught me. Stop blaming the government because people can't talk to their kids. Also, the public library doesn't cost dick. Read a fucking book and learn shit on your own and don't expect hand outs because by chance you were born here or born into a family of people that moved here. Take control. Pussies.
Old 11-26-2014, 03:28 PM   #86
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,436 Times in 4,279 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScizzMoney View Post
I sometimes feel alone in thinking it's not the governments job to educate children about everything. I agree that educating people about money is a good thing. Why can't parents teach their kids this? My father taught me. Stop blaming the government because people can't talk to their kids. Also, the public library doesn't cost dick. Read a fucking book and learn shit on your own and don't expect hand outs because by chance you were born here or born into a family of people that moved here. Take control. Pussies.
While I don't disagree with you, one can argue that life isn't as black and white as you make it seem to be. Some people, particularly newly landed immigrants, refugees, disabled folks etc. have other priorities such as finding a job, feeding their children, and ensuring they have a roof over their heads.

AS much as going to the library doesn't "cost dick" as you put it, someone needs to pay for such public services and that means people like you and me. The people who are unable to take the time out of their day to go read Rich Dad Poor Dad and how to make the next million dollars are trying to make ends meet under difficult circumstances.

To call these people pussies is a bit unfair. You don't know what struggles and hardships they are facing in life.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-26-2014, 03:41 PM   #87
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 4,984 Times in 995 Posts
that day a bowl of pho is $10 is the day I will never be coming back.... or I will just stab myself

edit: i remember the days of chocolate milk for $.50 and cookies for $.25 in elementary school, now it's $2 at best with minimum wage at $10.25. If minimum wage is going to be $15.... I am sure canada/vancouver can do a better way to help the cost of living in Vancouver. Gas prices too god fucking damnit!

Can someone tell good or unusual dating spots? Or what was your the most unusual date? THanks for sharing!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp View Post
my bedroom =D
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhillon09 View Post
that's a great secret date spot,
i bet no girl in vancouver has seen it.
Verdasco is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-26-2014, 04:43 PM   #88
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 1,314 Times in 540 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by melloman View Post
How many people remember the $6/hr for your first 500 hours of work?

People make stupid fucking choices, and figure they should get paid more just because they live in an expensive city. Great, and you tell me this isn't about entitlement.

How many kids these days, go to school, then work full-time after that? Bet it's about... 2% of that population. I worked warehouse jobs, after school, breaking my back to get out from the minimum wage shitshow.

Yet this whole discussion started after the 21% child poverty rate we have here. The fault doesn't lie in the minimum wage, in the housing or transportation costs.. It lies in people making bad decisions. If you're making ends meet now, why do you think you can start a family? Just because you can get pregnant, doesn't mean you should.
This is very true, a lot of the hardships people face later on is mostly a result of choices made earlier on. However, what people don't understand is that if you're looking for 2nd chances, our city does well at providing that as well

Here are some examples:

* If one can just swallow their pride, it is not out of the ordinary for a 30 yr old or a 40 yr old to go back to school and get a post-secondary education

* If one cannot afford an education, we have BC Student Loans to provide for that. You don't know the process? Go to any school and even their counsellors will help you with that.

* Unlike other places in the world, highschool is FREE!!!! (Now, I wish I didn't have to include this point, but I recall a pretty big discussion/thread not too long ago, I think started by DieselTest about the merits of graduating HS or not - and to my surprise, a lot of people were advocating that it wasn't necessary)

* Have kids? Well, I'm no parent, and don't quote me on this but from what I hear from low income parents, I think you can get government assistance for this as well.

Not directly related but also helps:

* Medical insurance is free for low income individuals
* I think some schools have programs to offset the costs of Transit commute

(now these two aren't directly related to education and but they're programs/benefits available specifically to us to also offset/alleviate costs and ultimately assist you should you want to better yourself)

So yes, the avenues to bounce back, correct mistakes, improve one's life is there. Why do a lot of people still not do this? Because it still requires a degree of risk, and a whole lot of hard work; 2 elements we are all subject to unless you're born in the upper class (which I am not )

Quote:
lol well, I didn't think this would stir up so much shit... there are a lot of good points though that I never would've considered. I didn't see any of the negative effects to raising min. wage but clearly I was wrong.. I still think they should raise it a little bit, BC has the lowest minimum wage in Canada, it doesn't need to be so drastic but I think if they fight for $15 and get it bumped up a little bit it wouldn't be so bad :P
No! And it's not a good idea to develop an attitude asking things for nothing.

If you really want to better your life, you have to start looking at what you can do - evaluate your options. If you think you're underpaid in BC (and I'm not just talking about the minimum wage labour force, but certain professional industries as well), consider moving to a province or city that pays higher. I know a lot of people that relocate to Ontario or Alberta for better pay - some even outside the country.

Vice versa, I also know some people who sacrificed pay to move to Vancouver, for reasons ranging from weather, to our openly accepted gay culture.

Just remember, that just because one element of a another city/province is better than your current, doesn't mean in general it's better in that said province. It's up to you to ultimately weigh where you're better off and make moves toward making things better for youself (whichever city that may be).

Last edited by Noir; 11-26-2014 at 04:48 PM.
Noir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 04:49 PM   #89
RS controls my life!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noir View Post
No! And it's not a good idea to develop an attitude asking things for nothing.

If you really want to better your life, you have to start looking at what you can do - evaluate your options. If you think you're underpaid in BC (and I'm not just talking about the minimum wage labour force, but certain professional industries as well), consider moving to a province or city that pays higher. I know a lot of people that relocate to Ontario or Alberta for better pay - some even outside the country.

Vice versa, I also know some people who sacrificed pay to move to Vancouver, for reasons ranging from weather, to our openly accepted gay culture.

Just remember, that just because one element of a another city/province is better than your current, doesn't mean in general it's better in that said province. It's up to you to ultimately weigh where you're better off and make moves toward making things better for youself (whichever city that may be).
I never said I make minimum wage. and this time last year I was working in Alberta in a trade but moved to BC knowing I would make less money for doing the same thing.

Last edited by Godzira; 11-26-2014 at 04:55 PM.
Old 11-26-2014, 04:57 PM   #90

Quote:
I never said I make minimum wage. and this time last year I was working in Alberta in a trade but moved to BC knowing I would make less money for doing the same thing. maybe you shouldn't make so many assumptions.
So if all you care about is your bottom line, why didn't you stay in Alberta?

And you don't have to hide that you're pretty low in the payscale. Sure you may not be at $10 per hour, but I'm gonna take a guess I know why you wanted a $15 min. wage.
Old 11-26-2014, 04:58 PM   #91
RS controls my life!

Quote:
So if all you care about is your bottom line, why didn't you stay in Alberta?

And you don't have to hide that you're pretty low in the payscale. Sure you may not be at $10 per hour, but I'm gonna take a guess I know why you wanted a $15 min. wage.
i never said thats all i care about either have you even read this thread? or are you just coming to random conclusions on your own .
Old 11-26-2014, 05:12 PM   #92

Quote:
i never said thats all i care about either have you even read this thread? or are you just coming to random conclusions on your own .
I'm not gonna go through all 4 pages but according considering the primarily monetary nature of your first 4 posts starting this thread, I'm gonna guess that you care about it a great deal at least.

And I wasn't telling you to GTFO of BC. I'm agreeing with you that there are other places where you can get more for the same amount of work. What I'm saying is that if your bottom line is high in your priority list, you have better options such as relocating to a different province instead of holding your breath for the BC gov to raise it's minimum wage to 15.

Quote:
Quote:
why.

"In the U.S., cities including Seattle and San Francisco are moving to a $15 an hour minimum wage.

“Seattle and San Francisco know that increasing the minimum wage gives a boost to local economies,” said Irene Lanzinger, secretary treasurer of the BC Federation of Labour. “ Low wage earners are more likely to spend their money at businesses in their neighbourhood. Businesses may also experience improved employee retention and productivity when employees feel valued and respected.”
Quote:
why wouldn't it raise wages for trades and salary workers? it has to start somewhere
Quote:
well then.
Old 11-26-2014, 06:16 PM   #93
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 4,525 Times in 1,357 Posts
Quote:
lol, you guys critisizing people for having kids when they can't afford it.

you fucking forget the sole purpose of your existence. is to fuck and have kids.

you think if people could control that shit, the world would be over populated? all those poor countries have the most problem with over population.

why don't we just make it illegal?

how about if you're poor and you have a kid, we force you to have an abortion?

how about if youre too poor to afford car parts, but you get them anyway, the government fuckign takes your car away.

are you guys fucking crazy.
I think people are talking about how some people are so selfish. Having kids and cars before even thinking about it.
I certainly wouldn't get a car or have kids if I think I won't be able to afford it.

We're living in a society, not in a wild.
If you're responsible adult, you think before you act.

I think a lot of people are lacking financial literacy and having money problems.
Timpo is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-26-2014, 06:21 PM   #94

I would like to ask one question to Ulic and everybody though.

Do you think Canadian education is fucked?

Really? We certainly didn't have this unemployment problem back in the day.
So you're saying that Canadian education was good back in the day, but today's education system is fucked.

Are there any other factors that are causing this unemployment problem?
Old 11-26-2014, 06:24 PM   #95

Old people usually say how University Degree used to be a prestigious thing.
It was not something that everyone could have.

Now things have changed and we all have an option to go get a degree if we like.

Obviously more people walking around with degree, less valuable it becomes.
Do you think that's the problem?

Maybe all the Universities have to raise their standards so that people can't have a degree, or skyrocket the tuition to the point people can't afford it.

As you know Universities are business and they need to make money by enrolling students. I don't know if that would ever be possible.
This post thanked by:
Old 11-26-2014, 06:27 PM   #96

Raise minimum wage in B.C. to $15 an hour: B.C. labour | Globalnews.ca
Old 11-26-2014, 06:28 PM   #97
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,372 Times in 3,904 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScizzMoney View Post
I think people forget BC =/= Vancouver. I get 99% of this forum is from the lower mainland though. How do people think this would change the rest of BC like Hope, Golden, Castlegar, Salmon Arm, Terrace, etc. Even smaller towns where small grocery stores already have to keep their prices high because their volumes are so low and the shipping costs are high. Most of the towns in BC are too small to be considered for a Wal-Mart or anything like that. I know some people that keep their little stores open strictly to provide goods for their community and barely make profit as it stands.
that's why i mentioned municipality min wages based on the city and its costs of living a min wage would be calculated for those living/working within those borders but there would be a whole slew of details that need to be worked out including dealing with people crying foul

As for the question of "what about labourers making close to min wage?" well there wages would be expected to rise as well...
or the remarks of "but all min wage workers are kids!" well not exactly at least in the States here's an article that you guys may enjoy reading http://www.brookings.edu/blogs/up-fr...kearney-harris

and to bring the argument back locally the minimum wage hasn't exactly changed for decades when adjusting for inflation

Minimum Wage in 2013 same as 1975 Statscan
Quote:
"If you're looking at it in terms of have we made any progress, well, in real terms, no, there hasn't been any growth in almost 40 years adjusted for inflation," said Doug Porter, chief economist with the Bank of Montreal.

Last edited by StylinRed; 11-26-2014 at 06:36 PM.
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 06:45 PM   #98

OMG! This is what they mean by BC having the lowest minimum wage in the country?

Anyways, so apparently the objective of this movement is to:

Quote:
“It is time to increase the minimum wage and address income inequality in BC,”
And even though I believe the real target is $13 min. wage and not $15, BCFED is aiming that BC have the highest min. wage in the country by a margin of a full dollar. That's still fucking nuts.

Last edited by Noir; 11-26-2014 at 06:51 PM.
Old 11-26-2014, 07:07 PM   #99
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,372 Times in 3,904 Posts
their target is likely $13 and I imagine matching it with the rate of inflation

Ontario had been talking about that for awhile (even in that old article i linked just above) and finally implemented an increase to $11 + indexing with inflation
http://www.orangeville.com/news-stor...-to-inflation/
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 07:47 PM   #100
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,782 Times in 2,491 Posts
Quote:

OMG! This is what they mean by BC having the lowest minimum wage in the country?
i feel like this should be a meme

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote