REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 11-27-2014, 02:34 PM   #151
RS controls my life!

Thanked 1,245 Times in 274 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freakshow View Post
This is completely incorrect. Working harder does demand more pay, if for nothing else, simply because of supply and demand. If there are two jobs that require the same mental skill, but one is hugely demanding on the body, an easy majority of people will choose the less demanding one if they pay the same. So hard, physical labour jobs do deserve more pay according to what the market bares.
Agreed. I just think that if minimum wage increases so should labourers wage and everyone elses lol. but its not a perfect world. when I started in the trade I made $15/hr and worked my ass off! I would come home exhausted every day but at the same time I didn't care I loved my job and it got my foot in the door I didn't mind starting out at that knowing it wasn't a dead end job.
Advertisement
Godzira is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-27-2014, 04:16 PM   #152
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 2,667 Times in 960 Posts
Anyone been to Mundy park in Coquitlam?

Back like 18 years ago, I helped dig a bunch of trenches for the jogging paths there. I worked from like Feb-April in the freezing ass rain digging ditches. We would then pour drain rock, sand, dirt and wood chips over top. I believe we dug about 3 or 4 feet deep to create these trails.

I was like 18 at the time, but it was extremely ball-busting work. I made $7 an hour. Back then you could get a Subway 4" round sandwich for .99 cents, sometimes you could even get a veggie round for .69!!! Gas was like .39 cents a liter as well, and a 6-pack was 5.50 or 6 bucks. No cel phones... pagers were still the shit.
multicartual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 04:27 PM   #153
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

gas was not 39cents ya lying bastard!

it was like 60 cents ( i remember vividly, the mid late 90's gas on the prairies was a consistant 56 cents a liter)

Last edited by StanleyR; 11-27-2014 at 05:03 PM.
StanleyR is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-27-2014, 04:30 PM   #154
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Thanked 1,532 Times in 479 Posts
Quote:
This is completely incorrect. Working harder does demand more pay, if for nothing else, simply because of supply and demand. If there are two jobs that require the same mental skill, but one is hugely demanding on the body, an easy majority of people will choose the less demanding one if they pay the same. So hard, physical labour jobs do deserve more pay according to what the market bares.
They don't deserve more pay, they get more pay because without it, the job would never get done.

Shovelling dirt and flipping burgers are not skilled trades, doctors, mechanics, engineers, lawyers, and cooks (real cooks) are. With those trades, there is a potential to fuck up so badly that you could kill multiple people or severely mess with their lives, therefore the people that are skilled enough to accomplish those tasks deserve more pay.

A plane isn't going to fall out of the sky and kill 300 people because I missed a spot with my shovel. A plane could easily fall out of the sky if the technicians working on it do not know what they are doing, which makes the technicians that do know, worth more.

Getting paid more because you're willing to take a shitty job does not make you deserve your wage any more than a guy flipping burgers.
Yodamaster is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-27-2014, 04:33 PM   #155
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanleyR View Post

it was like 60 cents ( i remember vividly, the mid late 90's gas on the prairies was a consistant 56 cents a liter in the mid - late 90s)

Hey, I smoked a lot of dope since then!

The cheapest I ever bought was for was like 31 cents/liter in Silverdale, near Mission. Filled up my 5.0's tank for like $13.
This post thanked by:
Old 11-27-2014, 04:35 PM   #156
Banned (ABWS)

I firmly believe that we should stop the Chinese from investing in our economy.

Things were a lot better before they arrived.
J_Crow is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 11-27-2014, 04:45 PM   #157
RS controls my life!

honestly from my experience back home. you PAY for what you GET.
I worked with a bunch of immigrants freshies to Canada that sent money back home to their families.. I started after them, got paid double what they did but I worked ten times as hard.. they worked 1 monkey job each while I would pull engines, transmissions, diagnosed, etc. the amount of shotty work and comebacks on their exhaust jobs was unreal. but the boss kept them because they worked for pennies and despite their shit work they made him alot of profit. I would never trust them with my car and personally think they gave our shop a bad rep. but they would kiss our bosses ass and pretend to sweep as soon as he came around.. the second Ed was out of sight .. so were they. im not racist at all id like to clarify that.. but it just goes to show if you pay a little more you get exactly what you want.
This post thanked by:
Old 11-27-2014, 04:47 PM   #158
Banned (ABWS)

We do not need a raise in minimum wages.

We need an immigration reform.
J_Crow is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 11-27-2014, 04:54 PM   #159
nuggets mod

Thanked 3,799 Times in 981 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yodamaster View Post
They don't deserve more pay, they get more pay because without it, the job would never get done.

Shovelling dirt and flipping burgers are not skilled trades, doctors, mechanics, engineers, lawyers, and cooks (real cooks) are. With those trades, there is a potential to fuck up so badly that you could kill multiple people or severely mess with their lives, therefore the people that are skilled enough to accomplish those tasks deserve more pay.

A plane isn't going to fall out of the sky and kill 300 people because I missed a spot with my shovel. A plane could easily fall out of the sky if the technicians working on it do not know what they are doing, which makes the technicians that do know, worth more.

Getting paid more because you're willing to take a shitty job does not make you deserve your wage any more than a guy flipping burgers.
Actually, it DOES. You literally deserve more money because it is a job that no one else wants to do, similar with isolation pay, you deserve more money because other people won't do it.

Suppose there is a surplus of doctors skilled doctors to the point where they could be paid 50k per year. They then deserve 50k.

To argue otherwise is to impose some sort of arbitrary philosophical numerical value to certain professions based on what you think they deserve.. and i'll be damned if you (or I) should get to decide what everyone in society 'deserves'.
Old 11-27-2014, 05:09 PM   #160

Quote:
Originally Posted by multicartual View Post
Hey, I smoked a lot of dope since then!

The cheapest I ever bought was for was like 31 cents/liter in Silverdale, near Mission. Filled up my 5.0's tank for like $13.
I remember losing my shit when gas was up to like 68 -70 cents a liter. My GF at the time was able to fill her tank on her 91 Chev Sprint with a little bit less than a $20 bill.

THOSE were the days my friend
This post thanked by:
Old 11-27-2014, 05:11 PM   #161
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
I remember losing my shit when gas was up to like 68 -70 cents a liter. My GF at the time was able to fill her tank on her 91 Chev Sprint with a little bit less than a $20 bill.

I remember before cel phones and the internet... life was a LOT MORE SIMPLE. Holy fuck!
This post thanked by:
Old 11-27-2014, 05:14 PM   #162
Need to Seek Professional Help

Thanked 1,820 Times in 501 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Crow View Post
I firmly believe that we should stop the Chinese from investing in our economy.

Things were a lot better before they arrived.
Not going to argue whether or not you are "right", but there's no real way to do that... foreign investment is integral to every country's economy and Chinese investment in other countries is everywhere. If foreign investment was made illegal, the United States would have gone belly-up by now. I have a friend who is on exchange from Norway, and the "problem" of excessive foreign immigration and investment is taking a toll on their economy as well. Basically every "first-world" developed nation is experiencing an influx of Chinese, for better or worse. It's just how the world works, can't really blame wealthy Chinese for wanting to escape a country whose government can/will take away their wealth in an instant, has basically no concept of an unbiased justice system, is rife with crazy amounts pollution, and is grossly overpopulated in urban areas.

I'm personally not the biggest fan of it either, but I am an immigrant (or the son of two) and let's face it I'd rather be in poverty here than "wealthy" in the Philippines.. so who am I to talk?
Tone Loc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 05:14 PM   #163
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Quote:

it was like 60 cents ( i remember vividly, the mid late 90's gas on the prairies was a consistant 56 cents a liter)
yes it was...39.9 was already considered expensive...i remember driving from surrey to port kells because gas will be at 31.9 there...
Old 11-27-2014, 05:32 PM   #164

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseBlue View Post
yes it was...39.9 was already considered expensive...i remember driving from surrey to port kells because gas will be at 31.9 there...
that's cause you in the middle of nowhere. seriously, I have no idea where port kells is.

Wow, to think Saskatchewan actually had higher gas prices than BC
Old 11-27-2014, 05:45 PM   #165
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzira View Post
Agreed. I just think that if minimum wage increases so should labourers wage and everyone elses lol.
"Should"? Why "should" they? Do those positions suddenly become more valuable just because the government decrees the fry guy needs to make more to be able to afford his Yaletown condo that he shouldn't have bought in the first place if he wasn't making enough?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 05:47 PM   #166
Raping Captured Dolphins since 2002 on EZ board days

Quote:
I have no idea where port kells is.
WTF! Street races in PK, meet at timmies.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphamale View Post
I give a lot of people rim jobs.
My Feedback
RFlush is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-27-2014, 08:10 PM   #167
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Thanked 1,532 Times in 479 Posts
Quote:
Actually, it DOES. You literally deserve more money because it is a job that no one else wants to do, similar with isolation pay, you deserve more money because other people won't do it.

Suppose there is a surplus of doctors skilled doctors to the point where they could be paid 50k per year. They then deserve 50k.

To argue otherwise is to impose some sort of arbitrary philosophical numerical value to certain professions based on what you think they deserve.. and i'll be damned if you (or I) should get to decide what everyone in society 'deserves'.

I feel as though earning and deserving are being mixed up here.

You earn your pay for doing a hard day's work, I think everyone agrees. It applies to all fields, even working at McDonalds.

I feel as though deserving higher pay is relegated to fields that require extensive training/schooling to work in, things that the average person could not do. "Deserve" isn't really the best way to describe this anyway, "Qualify" sounds better.
Yodamaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 08:14 PM   #168
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,283 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseBlue View Post
You damn kids....
You guys forgot about the gas wars when it was 29.9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
SumAznGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 04:46 AM   #169
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by multicartual View Post
People laugh at me when I say 10k a month does not go very far anymore
it doesn't. Atleast 500k year

I spend 100k on entertainment, clothing, etc, a year alone.

25k year for food
25k year on clothes
25k year for a few vacations
25k year for car, gas, insurance
and there's still living costs, fun, gambling money, gf, canucks ticket, etc?

But family has passive income of around $1-1.5 million year from business, rentals, collecting interest just doing nothing all day.

Last edited by p6rf1ct_s$m$n; 11-28-2014 at 05:07 AM.
p6rf1ct_s$m$n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 05:38 AM   #170
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:

she couldn't find a guy better than you?

if she's hot or atleast decent looking, she can easily get through life with a handsome tall guy with $$$$ than going through a tough life struggling with you

leave your gf to a REAL MAN lol
Old 11-28-2014, 05:45 AM   #171
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzira View Post
Agreed. I just think that if minimum wage increases so should labourers wage and everyone elses lol. but its not a perfect world. when I started in the trade I made $15/hr and worked my ass off! I would come home exhausted every day but at the same time I didn't care I loved my job and it got my foot in the door I didn't mind starting out at that knowing it wasn't a dead end job.
i'll take care of you if you're decent/hot, you can just quit your job
Old 11-28-2014, 07:35 AM   #172
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,812 Times in 2,501 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by p6rf1ct_s$m$n View Post
she couldn't find a guy better than you?

if she's hot or atleast decent looking, she can easily get through life with a handsome tall guy with $$$$ than going through a tough life struggling with you

leave your gf to a REAL MAN lol
maybe he was over 6' and had decent abs?

Quote:
your gf don't mind?

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-28-2014, 08:36 AM   #173
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 4,525 Times in 1,357 Posts
Quote:
No offence to people that are in labour jobs but I know that at least in Japan, labour jobs are looked down upon and do not pay well.

Simply because labour jobs are not academic enough and society will look at it as it's the job for high school drop outs or people who couldn't finish university degree. Thus, they do not deserve getting paid well.
Timpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 09:01 AM   #174

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Crow View Post
We do not need a raise in minimum wages.

We need an immigration reform.
We do not need a raise

We need a government that can organize their finance better.
Raising the minimum wages means more income tax for the government.

Low income people & government will benefit from this, but NOT the middle class like us.

We will suffer from inflation because of the raised minimum wage PLUS the employers will try to cut cost by maintaining the middle class wage the SAME.

My Buyer / Seller Rating
http://www.revscene.net/forums/60152...o-6-0-0-a.html
Y2K_o__o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 09:02 AM   #175
RS controls my life!

Quote:
haha well in that case can I have $3000 for injectors haltech and a dyno tune

This post thanked by: