REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Entertainment Forum

Entertainment Forum THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Entertainment District
Members' movie reviews, Trailers, TV show post-discussions. Warning: Absolutely, do not post links to pirated or illegal download sites!

Old 12-25-2015, 08:40 AM   #276
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,046 Times in 1,176 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by neggo View Post
I can't wait to re-watch episode VII!

Maybe this time I'll watch in 3D.
I saw it in 3D but didn't find anything special about it. The reserved seating is nice though.

I wanna re-watch it again too, but probably in January when the crowds die down.
Advertisement
Honest to fucking Christ the easiest way to get a married woman in the mood is clean the house and do the laundry.....I've been with the same girl almost 17 years, ask me how I know. - quasi
Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2015, 11:22 PM   #277
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Ah, already booked the 3D showing...

Regardless, should be enjoyable watching for the second time.
neggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 03:59 PM   #278
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 3,927 Times in 1,873 Posts
Just saw it this afternoon ... well done but it was like watching Star Wars IV, A New Hope all over again except you change a few actors around. WAY too much similarities.
whitev70r is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 12:57 PM   #279
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,478 Times in 1,679 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitev70r View Post
Just saw it this afternoon ... well done but it was like watching Star Wars IV, A New Hope all over again except you change a few actors around. WAY too much similarities.
I agree about the story.

Spoiler!
Old 12-27-2015, 07:39 PM   #280
(╯°□°)╯聽不到 ╮(°□°╮)

Thanked 11,193 Times in 2,275 Posts
Tim Budong is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-28-2015, 07:11 AM   #281
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,872 Times in 3,849 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pastarocket View Post
I agree about the story.

Spoiler!
Spoiler!
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-28-2015, 07:17 AM   #282

Spoiler!
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Quote:
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Old 12-28-2015, 08:31 AM   #283
Performance Moderator

Thanked 15,098 Times in 4,998 Posts
I really hope they rehashed everything so that it would provide a "reboot" into Eps 8 and 9... although I think Disney is promising to release a movie a year that's Star Wars related, so expect to see all kinds of spin-offs like a Boba Fett trilogy, etc... they're going to kill Star Wars for us by overdoing it.

I don't have as much of a problem with Ep7 because it's classic JJ Abrams.... I mean you eat mediocre foot at the Abrams restaurant 8 times in a row, why expect great food the 9th time right? He's always preferred mystery over actual storytelling and Ep7 was full of lazy lazy lazy directorial decisions just glossing over scenes that have obvious information required in them while saying nothing about it and moving on to the next one.

If you ever get a chance, watch JJ's Mystery Box TED talk someday... it pretty much explains his philosophy on how all his movies and TV shows are.

This one:
68style is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 01:34 PM   #284
...in the world.

Thanked 7,636 Times in 2,321 Posts
I LOVED THIS MOVIE. There's lots of similarities and callbacks to the original movie but there's enough of a difference and a compelling enough story to keep you in it. I really enjoyed all the characters.

The only time I really groaned was the sweeping helicopter shot at the end. That felt too long and weird. Set up the next movie with a hero shot, would ya?
Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-28-2015, 04:03 PM   #285

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
I LOVED THIS MOVIE. There's lots of similarities and callbacks to the original movie but there's enough of a difference and a compelling enough story to keep you in it. I really enjoyed all the characters
Serious question, because I keep hearing people say this, what was new or different in it?
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 12-28-2015, 08:22 PM   #286
...in the world.

The biggest difference for me is the modern storytelling. Lucas is hilariously clunky at times while TFA felt more dynamic.

And I like Fin's character. I had no idea stormtroopers were actual people. I thought they were all Jango clones or whatever since that's what the prequels told us.
Old 12-28-2015, 08:40 PM   #287
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Quote:
The biggest difference for me is the modern storytelling. Lucas is hilariously clunky at times while TFA felt more dynamic.
Let's be honest, the acting was pretty clunky in the original, too, other than the old pros (Alec Guinness and Peter Cushing).

Quote:
And I like Fin's character. I had no idea stormtroopers were actual people. I thought they were all Jango clones or whatever since that's what the prequels told us.
Did you watch the prequels first? There were plenty of indications the Stormtroopers were regular joe jarheads from the very start. "Aren't you a little short for a Stormtrooper?" and so on... Luke at the start wanting to go away to the Imperial Academy, etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 09:08 PM   #288

Quote:

Fair enough, but the actual content of said story was just rehashed from the previous 6. When I say I wanted a movie that's new I mean not being told the exact same story that I've known damn near my entire life.

As far as Stormtroopers go my understanding was that the original army were all clones to create an army faster/stealthier, but afterwards all the troopers were regular people (they definitely weren't clones in 4-6). The bit in 7 about having clone or human trooper armies available didn't make much sense to me.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 12-28-2015, 09:52 PM   #289
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Just started the starwars series with my gf. One episode down 5 more to go.
Old 12-28-2015, 10:04 PM   #290
Orgasm Donor & Alatar owned my ass twice!

Thanked 4,387 Times in 1,145 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
Fair enough, but the actual content of said story was just rehashed from the previous 6. When I say I wanted a movie that's new I mean not being told the exact same story that I've known damn near my entire life.

As far as Stormtroopers go my understanding was that the original army were all clones to create an army faster/stealthier, but afterwards all the troopers were regular people (they definitely weren't clones in 4-6). The bit in 7 about having clone or human trooper armies available didn't make much sense to me.
I guess some of the head bad guys find that training real ppl to be storm troopers especially those who believe in their cause is more reliable than a clone army. Hopefully they get into more details about that in future movies.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) hi there
(づ。◕‿‿◕。)づ・。*。✧・゜゜・。✧。*・゜゜・✧。・$$$$$゜゜・。*。・゜*✧ .

xxx~*…like dis post if u cry evry time…~*xxx
DanHibiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 11:20 PM   #291
Performance Moderator

Thanked 15,098 Times in 4,998 Posts
Quote:

I have to ask you though.......... what storytelling???

Spoiler!
68style is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-28-2015, 11:22 PM   #292
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,372 Times in 3,904 Posts
Quote:

I assumed that
Spoiler!

i agree though the movie is rife with issues, but overall it was still really enjoyable to watch
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 09:30 AM   #293

I agree with 68 on the new characters. To me this a big problem with the other slightly original bit of the movie is

Spoiler!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanHibiki View Post
I guess some of the head bad guys find that training real ppl to be storm troopers especially those who believe in their cause is more reliable than a clone army. Hopefully they get into more details about that in future movies.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StylinRed View Post
I assumed that
Spoiler!
I don't think the Empire used clones beyond the initial armies of the prequels, but now all of a sudden the New Order has some clone armies and some regular human armies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StylinRed View Post
Spoiler!
I'm wondering about this Republic, they only briefly mentioned it exists but we're supposed to believe that someone organized a new Republic this quickly?
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 12-29-2015, 09:45 AM   #294
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Quote:
I'm wondering about this Republic, they only briefly mentioned it exists but we're supposed to believe that someone organized a new Republic this quickly?
I believe it is discussed in the canon novel Aftermath which takes place after the Battle of Endor in ROTJ

http://www.amazon.ca/Aftermath-Star-...ords=aftermath
Tr1ll is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-29-2015, 09:50 AM   #295
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,815 Times in 341 Posts
Spoiler!

2018 Golf R MK7.5 (Daily)
2001 S2000 (Weekend Warrior)
1991 Merc 300 TE-24 AMG Estate - Sold
2005 STi - Sold
1987 AE86 GTS - Sold
1986 AE86 GTS - Sold
gilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 12:42 AM   #296
...in the world.

For Rey's lightsabre combat...I was like...whaaaat? But for her other force powers, she discovers them when she finds that she can resist Kylo Ren's mind read and shit so she copies what she sees him doing. It's also possible she's is more force attuned so she can do this sort of thing from the start? We know that some do it better than others and some start younger than others so it isn't inconceivable that she can hold her own against a wounded Kylo Ren, who ended up being sort of weak compared to what you are led to believe 5 minutes in. I don't think I've seen any character stop a blaster shot in midair.

As for Fin's backstory...well, sort of irrelevant. We aren't always given the backstory. There's only 2 hours of movie. Lots of shit in the movies is only mentioned in passing or happens off screen. I think he decided when he was ordered to fire on civies that he was outta there. It was his first battle I think.
Old 12-30-2015, 04:14 AM   #297
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,372 Times in 3,904 Posts
Quote:
This article fills in the gaps that we're missing between Return of the Jedi and A New Hope 2

A complete guide to the new Star Wars canon before The Force Awakens | The Verge

the new Republic was formed after the Battle of Jakku, Mon Mothma is the leader (was also the leader of the Rebels)

The article helps settle a lot of questions, but it doesn't resolve all the issues with the film
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-30-2015, 10:16 AM   #298
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Quote:
I LOVED THIS MOVIE. There's lots of similarities and callbacks to the original movie but there's enough of a difference and a compelling enough story to keep you in it. I really enjoyed all the characters.

The only time I really groaned was the sweeping helicopter shot at the end. That felt too long and weird. Set up the next movie with a hero shot, would ya?
Just watched it last night and thought that it was amazing. I agree with you on this... There's a lot of parallels between the original trilogy and this one and it was very well executed
zetazeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 10:55 AM   #299
...in the world.

The Battle of Jakku sounds pretty badass...too bad we don't get to see it.

It's like that for a lot of shit. Remember all the adventures that Obi-wan and Anakin mention in passing in ep 2 and 3? Those sounded like way better movies than any of the material actually in the prequels
Old 12-30-2015, 11:06 AM   #300
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,232 Times in 2,483 Posts
Quote:
It's like that for a lot of shit. Remember all the adventures that Obi-wan and Anakin mention in passing in ep 2 and 3? Those sounded like way better movies than any of the material actually in the prequels
Those are supposed to be shown in the Clone Wars cartoons. I think those are still considered to be part of the canon.
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote