REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Vacations and World Travel

Vacations and World Travel Visiting our beautiful city? Come stay at the Arbutus Vista - Vancouver's Bed & Breakfast.
How was your trip? Which tour packages would you recommend/avoid? Must do's and must eats? Share tips, photos and experiences with other senior RS members who just want to get away..

Closed Thread

Old 12-05-2014, 04:00 AM   #26
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Thanked 1,099 Times in 168 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkgsr View Post
Sex tourist hahahahahahahahahahaha

buddy my wife and i have been travelling through SE asia for the past 8 months (along with Europe) as well as we were here last year

as for your not getting visa on arrival....what the fuck are you talking about??? i landed here three days ago and got my visa no problem

what exactly is it that you do in bangkok mr-non-creepy-white-guy-living-in-thailand?
Here you go. You might not be so lucky next time.

Confirmed: Visa run crackdown effective from August 12, 2014: Thai Foreign Ministry - Thai visas, residency and work permits - Thailand Forum

As for myself, I teach at a bilingual school, I'm part of a motorcycle club, I modify my car, play airsoft, watch movies, eat food, bang my gf, play with my dog and cat, get drunk, smoke weed, play video games, go to the beach, jungle trek, and enjoy life.

Many people like yourself visit and never have a problem, but don't forget that just because you haven't had a problem, doesn't mean it's not happening. Just takes being in the wrong place at the wrong time.
Advertisement
Old 12-05-2014, 08:14 AM   #27
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

fishtaco: the point you seemed to miss a few posts ago was that you went full retard and accused buddy of being a sex tourist because he disagreed with you. you're so clueless that when someone jokingly mentioned you might have been in afghanistan fighting for cannabis, that went over your head.

so seeing these things makes me take your information with a grain of salt. it's thailand. that shit has been happening forever. now that YOU notice it doesn't make it a problem. it's always been a problem.
you want 1st world protection? live/travel in the 1st world. love the adventure of a shit hole country? that's cool, accept that you have a 2% chance of being murdered and probably another 5% of extreme robbery/extortion/bodily harm.
Old 12-05-2014, 08:33 AM   #28
RS controls my life!

Thanked 1,245 Times in 274 Posts
Thanks for the heads up OP its always good to know things like this. Even if it doesn't happen to everyone its just something to keep in mind so you can be a little more cautious.
This post thanked by:
Old 12-05-2014, 08:35 AM   #29
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinn3r View Post
this kinda shit goes for a good portion of Indochina. I've never been to Thailand, but I can attest that Vietnam is like this too; albeit to a lesser degree

bribery, violence, scams, pricing discrepancies and whatnot; similar stuff
Loved Thailand. Disliked Vietnam. Maybe because I'm not white so I was not targeted, but if I don't like the price, I just walk away.

However, in Vietnam, you have even the taxi cab scamming you with inaccurate meters. You can tell all the wars and communism made the country 20 years behind.
Old 12-05-2014, 08:37 AM   #30
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanks OP for the heads up.

I believe @fishtaco made a thread on how he started his life in BKK a year or so ago. Its great to see what Thailand has become from the point of view of an expat. I myself just visited Thailand twice in 2 years, so I would not have been exposed to what @fishtaco may have observed.
Old 12-05-2014, 08:44 AM   #31
:inoutugh:

Thanked 5,833 Times in 1,836 Posts
inb4 blkgsr is asian. thus asian perspective vs "white man" perspective
Old 12-05-2014, 08:51 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Karl View Post
fishtaco: the point you seemed to miss a few posts ago was that you went full retard and accused buddy of being a sex tourist because he disagreed with you. you're so clueless that when someone jokingly mentioned you might have been in afghanistan fighting for cannabis, that went over your head.

so seeing these things makes me take your information with a grain of salt. it's thailand. that shit has been happening forever. now that YOU notice it doesn't make it a problem. it's always been a problem.
you want 1st world protection? live/travel in the 1st world. love the adventure of a shit hole country? that's cool, accept that you have a 2% chance of being murdered and probably another 5% of extreme robbery/extortion/bodily harm.
Called him a sex tourist because he disagreed? No. Because anyone visiting thailand so frequently doesn't make sense. It's 26 hours in flights each time. I would like to see passport stamps if it's true.

The canabis comment is obviously still going over my head, so please enlighten me. It's a joke towards pot users being drug addicts? Or calling Canadian army drug addicts? What does it have to do with anything?
Old 12-05-2014, 09:02 AM   #33

Surge of reported police harassment suggests campaign targeting tourists, expats - Page 20 - Thailand News - Thailand Forum

Please do your part to stop BKK police from harassing tourists/expats - Page 3 - Thailand Travel Forum - Thailand Forum

Police stop and searches on Sukhumvit on the rise - Page 17 - Thailand News - Thailand Forum

To the dummies who think all is well. You think people suddenly started making these threads for fun out of boredom? I hope some of the people who posted never travel for their sakes.
Old 12-05-2014, 09:10 AM   #34
linguistic ninja

Thanked 3,374 Times in 1,227 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FishTaco View Post
No I've never been to indo either. To be honest, I am not fond of death penalty for drug trafficking nor would I feel safe in the largest Muslim country in the world right now.

I'm thinking of relocating to cambodia or Nicaragua.
Buddy you're an idiot, deport your ass back to Canada and stay put. Indonesia isn't Syria or Saudi Arabia. Most people there are marginally Muslim but extremely hospitable and humble. If I'm not mistaken you said you've been to Malaysia and Singapore which has the same penalties for Drug Trafficking if not tougher.

...and you want to move to Nicaragua? the place has got double the murder rate of Thailand and 20 times that of Indonesia.

Still a card carrying member of the SFC :)
This post thanked by:
Old 12-05-2014, 10:42 AM   #35
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Thanked 5,279 Times in 603 Posts
What's with the animosity in here? FishTaco's doing us all a service by advising us of the injustice going on down there. A heads up, folks; take what you want out of it
Positions are anecdotal, but FishTaco's backing it up. Like he said, just 'cause it hasn't happened to you, doesn't mean it isn't prevalent

It's nice to be aware
Old 12-05-2014, 11:23 AM   #36
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Thanks for the heads up OP
This post thanked by:
Old 12-05-2014, 11:31 AM   #37
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

Am I the only one that can't stand when someone is speaking to you and refers to you as "buddy","bud"? budddddyyy
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 12-05-2014, 11:36 AM   #38
RS controls my life!

Thanked 1,245 Times in 274 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeHB View Post
Am I the only one that can't stand when someone is speaking to you and refers to you as "buddy","bud"? budddddyyy
bro, seriously bro, bro.
Old 12-05-2014, 12:29 PM   #39
linguistic ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeHB View Post
Buddy, no one gives a flying fuck.

This post thanked by:
Old 12-05-2014, 01:01 PM   #40
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

I spent 2 months in Thailand last January, most of it being in the South..Koh Phangan, Koh Tao, Koh Phi Phi, Koh Samui and never got hassled. Group of 5 guys, all white, no problems. Life in the South is so much different, there's dozens of reggae bars, mushroom bars, laughing gas sold on the beaches, etc. etc. Everywhere was so peaceful and chill but obviously you have to be smart about things. Just don't draw attention to yourself and you'll be fine. I also have a brother-in-law who's been living in Thailand for 10 years, currently teaching English in Saratani so he steered us in the right direction.

Bangkok is actually the worst part of Thailand, I don't know how you manage to live there for two years. The only time I ever felt sketched out was on Khao San Road, which is so greasy. Our 2 minute cab ride to the ping pong show turned into half an hour. They wanted 1000 baht admission, so we gtfo of there. I didn't want to be one of those white guys that gets ripped off at a ping pong shows.

Stop fear mongering, you're making people paranoid for no reason.
Old 12-05-2014, 02:20 PM   #41
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,904 Times in 3,867 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonChi View Post
Same shit happens here, it's just called local pricing and tourist pricing. Just not as extreme.
That shit happens literally EVERYWHERE, the only continent where you won't be overpriced or have someone try to scam you for being a tourist is Antarctica. If you don't want to get ripped off at all then you can only travel to places where you speak the language flawlessly and can blend in with the locals.

I got scammed in Nassau once but it cost me a whopping $5 so I considered it the cost of learning about travel and never fell for it again despite seeing it on several other islands, and I'm definitely not going to tell people to avoid the Caribbean because of it.

Quote:
Farang (Thai: ฝรั่ง [faràŋ]) is a generic Thai word for someone of European ancestry, no matter where they may come from. The Royal Institute Dictionary 1999, the official dictionary of Thai words, defines the word as "a person of white race".[1]

Edmund Roberts, US envoy in 1833, defined the term as "Frank (or European)."[2] People of mixed African-European descent were called farang dam (Thai: ฝรั่งดำ; 'black farang') to distinguish them from white people.
I'm sorry, but how do you find their official word for "white person" racist? What the fuck are they supposed to say? Are Thai people offended by the term "Asian"?
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
This post thanked by:
Old 12-05-2014, 02:31 PM   #42
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Thanked 5,279 Times in 603 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CivicBlues View Post
bawdy fawk chrome to ya dome mmk
bhenchod
Old 12-05-2014, 02:56 PM   #43
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

Quote:
My bad, clearly someone who uses the word in every sentence might get a little defensive.

Sorry,

Buddy
This post thanked by:
Old 12-05-2014, 03:24 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
That shit happens literally EVERYWHERE, the only continent where you won't be overpriced or have someone try to scam you for being a tourist is Antarctica. If you don't want to get ripped off at all then you can only travel to places where you speak the language flawlessly and can blend in with the locals.

I got scammed in Nassau once but it cost me a whopping $5 so I considered it the cost of learning about travel and never fell for it again despite seeing it on several other islands, and I'm definitely not going to tell people to avoid the Caribbean because of it.

I'm sorry, but how do you find their official word for "white person" racist? What the fuck are they supposed to say? Are Thai people offended by the term "Asian"?
That's a great story about the bahamas... Did they call you 'white boy'? Did you call everyone 'blackie'? If you walk around calling people 'Asian' here you would get sorted out real quick. When they say 'farang', it's generally followed by an eye roll and in a demeaning tone.

Now let's look at a real scam. Rent a jet ski in thailand, rentals say you damaged and you have to pay $600. You say no, jet ski rental place guys beat the shit out of you and phone the police to have YOU arrested.

How about, taxi offers to sell you weed, then phones his friend to have you arrested so he can get commission. Police show up, arrest, take you ATM machine and drain it, then kill you in jail and say it was suicide.
Old 12-05-2014, 03:26 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAnthony View Post
I spent 2 months in Thailand last January, most of it being in the South..Koh Phangan, Koh Tao, Koh Phi Phi, Koh Samui and never got hassled. Group of 5 guys, all white, no problems. Life in the South is so much different, there's dozens of reggae bars, mushroom bars, laughing gas sold on the beaches, etc. etc. Everywhere was so peaceful and chill but obviously you have to be smart about things. Just don't draw attention to yourself and you'll be fine. I also have a brother-in-law who's been living in Thailand for 10 years, currently teaching English in Saratani so he steered us in the right direction.

Bangkok is actually the worst part of Thailand, I don't know how you manage to live there for two years. The only time I ever felt sketched out was on Khao San Road, which is so greasy. Our 2 minute cab ride to the ping pong show turned into half an hour. They wanted 1000 baht admission, so we gtfo of there. I didn't want to be one of those white guys that gets ripped off at a ping pong shows.

Stop fear mongering, you're making people paranoid for no reason.
And what's your point? You had no problems so there are no problems right?? Reading comprehension owns you. You missed the comments about that already.
Old 12-05-2014, 03:33 PM   #46

Quote:
Buddy you're an idiot, deport your ass back to Canada and stay put. Indonesia isn't Syria or Saudi Arabia. Most people there are marginally Muslim but extremely hospitable and humble. If I'm not mistaken you said you've been to Malaysia and Singapore which has the same penalties for Drug Trafficking if not tougher.

...and you want to move to Nicaragua? the place has got double the murder rate of Thailand and 20 times that of Indonesia.
You think Indonesia is all smiles and lollipops hey there buddddds? And what a great way to start an argument by calling someone an idiot. Everyone you post after loses all credibility, however I feel inclined to learn you about how the world works. You should really educate yourself before spreading your ignorance on everyone. Did you forget about the Bali bombings?

Yes I've visited Malaysia and Singapore. Visiting and living are on different ends of the spectrum. I don't care about the drug policy of I'm just passing through. Would I live there? Nope.

Thailand is rated the most dangerous tourist destination in the world. Please show me your facts of the stats you just quoted of Nicaragua having 20 times more murders. Even if it was true, were the murders against foreigners or locals?

So much ignorance that it's overwhelming.
This post FAILED by:
Old 12-05-2014, 03:40 PM   #47
linguistic ninja

Aren't you a bundle of joy? Calling everyone ignorant while you're the most ignorant of them all on here. Seems to me you put yourself in harms way purposely and cry foul when things go south. Well here's a thought, don't be an idiot?

You've visited SE Asia and lived as a white boy drinking and fucking everything that moves right? I've lived there moron, I think that gives me a bit more credibility than you. You yourself admit that you know nothing about Indonesia but that it can't be safe because it's full of Muslims.

Your ignorance and sense of white privilege is mind numbing.

I told you earlier to come back to Canada to spare us your whinging but now I think it's better for the world if you exit the nearest plane door over the Pacific on your return flight.

This post thanked by:
Old 12-05-2014, 03:43 PM   #48
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Quote:
And what's your point? You had no problems so there are no problems right?? Reading comprehension owns you. You missed the comments about that already.
No, i'm saying just because things are bad in that shit hole Bangkok doesn't mean all of Thailand is "going down the drain". I also read through that thread you posted, not all grey market business have been shut down, the police shut down a few rub and tugs for one single day. It's just a bunch of ex pats freaking out that their perfect life is becoming slightly less perfect.

Last edited by AAnthony; 12-05-2014 at 03:49 PM.
Old 12-05-2014, 03:43 PM   #49

There are nay Sayers in thailand too with their heads in the sand.

I for one don't mind a bit of corruption. When I drive and break the law, I have no problem paying up. However, if I'm walking down the street minding my own business and approached by police who have no reason to stop me, question me, check my bag, frisk my body, touch my dick, and forced to pee in a cup in hopes that they will be able to extort you.

This isn't some big secret I'm unravelling. It's just now gotten to the point that people even the government are aware of how bad it is actually getting.

I've posted numerous stories, if you think it cant happen to you, then God speed.

I have nothing to gain from this, I have no hidden agenda. Come visit, I won't be living here though and you will see why I chose to move to another country. Does Cambodia have crime? Sure does but I would rather be robbed by a normal person and have the chance to fight back rather than being robbed by the police who can ruin your life very fast while you just sit there and take it.

I've never had an issue with any of these stories, but I have many friends that have so I'm not jaded, just leaving before this country gets worse.
Old 12-05-2014, 03:44 PM   #50
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,809 Times in 8,186 Posts
White people aren't allowed to feel threatened or targeted. We're too privileged. And if you're a white person in asia, it automatically means you're there to take advantage of that privilege, fucking everything that moves and doing drugs and drinking all the time.
This post thanked by:
Closed Thread