REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Vacations and World Travel

Vacations and World Travel Visiting our beautiful city? Come stay at the Arbutus Vista - Vancouver's Bed & Breakfast.
How was your trip? Which tour packages would you recommend/avoid? Must do's and must eats? Share tips, photos and experiences with other senior RS members who just want to get away..

Closed Thread

Old 12-04-2014, 07:16 PM   #1
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Thanked 1,099 Times in 168 Posts
Thailand - not land of smiles

I moved from Vancouver to Bangkok 2 years ago. I have been watching the country fall apart since day 1. Just a heads up if you are thinking of vacationing here.

1.) If you smoke weed in Canada I highly suggest you do not visit Thailand. Due to anti corruption campaigns, the thai police have recently been targeting any foreigner in search of tea money. They interrogate them, passport check (even though it's not required to carry), and piss test (on the road). If you piss hot you will be arrested for drug consumption or will be extorted for a lot of money. Regardless if you ingested the drug in another country, you are still guilty here. I feel like a Jew in 1942. They wanted to make foreigners wear arm bands but that idea was shot down.

2.) It's 2014, yet Thai people still refer to white people as 'farang'. All they see is you are not thai so you are 'farang'. They have no idea the difference between a Brit, Canadian, South African, etc. Some people consider it to be derogatory which I agree with.

3.) The country is run by the military ever since the 12th coup but nobody has a clue of anything going on. Everyone has their own interpretation of the law.

4.) You are seen as a walking ATM here. People will try to scam you or rip you off whenever possible.

5.) Violence against foreigners is on the rise and Thai authority have no interest in your safety. It's very dangerous here, lots of murders, robberys, "suicides", and theft.

6.) They have 2 tier pricing here based upon your skin color. Prices are not like they used to be. Anything is more expensive.

There are many other points I can add later. 'Amazing Thailand' is no more. I would recommend another destination. I will be moving to another country as soon as I sell my car and motorcycle as foreigners are no longer welcome here. Shame, such a lovely country.

This is just a heads up. You can find many stories on Thai Visa forums. Many people are warning tourists to go elsewhere.
Advertisement
Old 12-04-2014, 07:34 PM   #2
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,812 Times in 8,187 Posts
I've only ever visited there, but I definitely agree with points 4 and 6

Overall the people were quite nice though, but I haven't been back in years.
This post thanked by:
Old 12-04-2014, 07:56 PM   #3

Yes I have some very good Thai friends that make me feel like family. There are a lot of GOOD people and GOOD things here but they are often overshadowed by police thugs, scammers, thieves, rapists, murders, pedophiles, racists, ladyboys, etc.
Old 12-04-2014, 08:23 PM   #4
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

Is this just happening in Bangkok and other major cities? The Thai economy is largely based on tourism if I'm not mistaken, this will obviously have an impact on it?
This is a shame, I absolutely loved it there, probably my favourite of all South East Asia. (besides Indo, I have yet to go there, you been FishTaco?)
This post thanked by:
Old 12-04-2014, 09:01 PM   #5

The reports are from all over thailand. People that have lived in villages for over 10 years and now being harassed by police.

Oh by the way, they have removed all beach chairs and umbrellas, cracked down on prostitution, bars close at 12 now as well. Before they banned beach chairs, there is a popular video of a tourist laying on her own towel when some mafia guy kicks sand all over her for not renting his chair. Not long after, tourists were told by police that they have to remove their umbrellas that they purchased. A joke.

The country is trying to change their image from a sexpat paradise to a family vacation country but they are going about it all wrong. They are wanting to get rid of street vendors and markets because they want to have "quality tourists". 1 problem, people come to Thailand for everything they are destroying. For example; Khao San is known to anyone visiting thailand. It's a long busy street made up of street vendors, food, bars, etc. it's cramped, noisy, chaotic, and people love it! They want to come see it, taste it, smell it, and live it but Thailand wants to be like sterile Singapore and remove everything!

Unfortunately you have monkeys working in Tourism department molding Thailand into what they think tourists want, instead of what they actually want.
Old 12-04-2014, 09:04 PM   #6

No I've never been to indo either. To be honest, I am not fond of death penalty for drug trafficking nor would I feel safe in the largest Muslim country in the world right now.

I'm thinking of relocating to cambodia or Nicaragua.
Old 12-04-2014, 09:10 PM   #7
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 2,341 Times in 970 Posts
the term 'farang' is how they try to pronounce "foreign"
Old 12-04-2014, 09:15 PM   #8

Farang (Thai: ฝรั่ง [faràŋ]) is a generic Thai word for someone of European ancestry, no matter where they may come from. The Royal Institute Dictionary 1999, the official dictionary of Thai words, defines the word as "a person of white race".[1]

Edmund Roberts, US envoy in 1833, defined the term as "Frank (or European)."[2] People of mixed African-European descent were called farang dam (Thai: ฝรั่งดำ; 'black farang') to distinguish them from white people.
Old 12-04-2014, 09:24 PM   #9
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

buddy, you're a fool

i've been in and out of thailand 10+ times in the last year and a half (I'm here right now), and yes that since the coup things have changed but the people are all still very nice for the most part...just like at home there are assholes everywhere you go

of cource white people get looked at as ATM's and get charged higher prices....how would you not think that would be the case

i recommend you move back to canada....if you think cambodia is going to be any better you're SORELY mistaken
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 12-04-2014, 09:26 PM   #10
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,402 Times in 552 Posts
2-Tier pricing and being targeted for ridiculous scams left and right were exactly the reason why I felt like Thailand was a complete waste of my vacation time the last time I went.
This post thanked by:
Old 12-04-2014, 09:30 PM   #11

lol then do some research and know what things should cost...
This post FAILED by:
Old 12-04-2014, 09:38 PM   #12
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Thanked 5,279 Times in 603 Posts
this kinda shit goes for a good portion of Indochina. I've never been to Thailand, but I can attest that Vietnam is like this too; albeit to a lesser degree

bribery, violence, scams, pricing discrepancies and whatnot; similar stuff
Old 12-04-2014, 09:39 PM   #13
HELP ME PLS!!!

Same shit happens here, it's just called local pricing and tourist pricing. Just not as extreme.
Old 12-04-2014, 09:43 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkgsr View Post
buddy, you're a fool

i've been in and out of thailand 10+ times in the last year and a half (I'm here right now), and yes that since the coup things have changed but the people are all still very nice for the most part...just like at home there are assholes everywhere you go

of cource white people get looked at as ATM's and get charged higher prices....how would you not think that would be the case

i recommend you move back to canada....if you think cambodia is going to be any better you're SORELY mistaken
Over 10 times in 1 year hey? And what visa are you using exactly? You know that you can no longer do visa on arrival right? So say good bye to just showing up whenever you feel like it.

Yes there are people like you who are naive and ignorant to reality around them. Maybe you would notice the hundreds of stories on Thai Visa of people being shaken down by police if you open your eyes. Even my Thai friends are complaining. You are a tourist. Try living here or at least educating yourself before trying to debate.

The Thai governent just recently welcomed ideas from foreign nations on how they can bring back the tourists.
Old 12-04-2014, 09:50 PM   #15

Here are 17 pages about this. There are many other threads that are similar but this is the newest one.

Surge of reported police harassment suggests campaign targeting tourists, expats - Thailand News - Thailand Forum
Old 12-04-2014, 09:55 PM   #16
nma
#RVG

Spent a month in Phuket in March and was fine. How different is Southern Thailand from Mid / North?
This post thanked by:
Old 12-04-2014, 10:05 PM   #17

Phuket is considered one of the seediest areas for crime.

The southern border is plagued with car bombings, teachers, students, and monks are often targeted. There's a dispute between Malaysia and Thai extremists about who owns what and just getting worse. Schools having bombs planted, students shot while going work, IED's, and kidnappings. It's best to avoid the southern provinces. The North is more relaxed in my opinion. The islands are controlled by mafia. Bangkok is the Wild West.

I've been traveling since I was 14. I've backpacked through all of Thailand, Hong Kong, Singapore, Malaysia, Laos, Cambodia, Costa Rica, Dubai, and Mexico.

I even spent 7 months fighting in Afghanistan. I'm pretty sure I know what I'm doing so you can take my advice, or take the advice from the sex tourist who has been to thailand 10 times in a year, up to you.
Old 12-04-2014, 10:20 PM   #18
HELP ME PLS!!!

The drug addict fighting in afghanistan for that cannabis they're growing out there, that's you mean right?

lol, at least the sex tourist hasn't been shaken down yet like the stories your talking about.

That was quite the conclusion you jumped to btw.

Yeah, parts of Phuket can be seedy. for gods sake, they got those damned sex shows going on in bars. How much worse can it get? On top of that, if that kind of stuff goes on there, how can it not be run by mafia where the money and power would corrupt just about anyone.
Old 12-04-2014, 10:35 PM   #19

I'm not sure what your argument is? I've read it twice.

Do you think we were looking for canabis in Afghanistan???

Are you saying thailand is corrupt and just deal with it?

Everyone is aware and has always been aware of the corruption here. The problem arises when the police are no longer getting their money from shop owners but now lead lavish lives and need to make payments. Where you think they go looking? White face ATMs. Was never like this before. They are aggressive from what I've seen and what people are saying.
Old 12-04-2014, 10:55 PM   #20
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

So are you only offended because the corruption is affecting you and tourists? Since it seems you understand the corruption has always been there but the difference now is the shift towards foreigners.

Are you also offended in a predominately under educated population referring to European descendants in a derogatory term? The same can be seen with any minority group, they are often referred to incorrectly or in slang terms. Don't get too offended by what ignorant fools say.

Two tier pricing is common in many developing countries, it allows locals to enjoy the same things on their local pays while making a small amount more on foreigners. While in Bali I had to pay double what locals were, after currency conversion it cost me a whole $1 CAD more. Does it suck? Yes, but I try to believe I made his day.

But in the end it makes me appreciate Canada way more, what we take for granted are not guaranteed in other countries.
This post thanked by:
Old 12-04-2014, 11:01 PM   #21
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Dayum...I thought vietnam was bad but looks like Thailand is worse.

I have a trip planned for the feburary full moon party.
5 days phuket and 5 days koh phangan.
I have a friend whos showing me around.

What tips do you have for tourists who plan on going. Are you saying dont go at all?
This post thanked by:
Old 12-04-2014, 11:54 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retrac View Post
So are you only offended because the corruption is affecting you and tourists? Since it seems you understand the corruption has always been there but the difference now is the shift towards foreigners.

Are you also offended in a predominately under educated population referring to European descendants in a derogatory term? The same can be seen with any minority group, they are often referred to incorrectly or in slang terms. Don't get too offended by what ignorant fools say.

Two tier pricing is common in many developing countries, it allows locals to enjoy the same things on their local pays while making a small amount more on foreigners. While in Bali I had to pay double what locals were, after currency conversion it cost me a whole $1 CAD more. Does it suck? Yes, but I try to believe I made his day.

But in the end it makes me appreciate Canada way more, what we take for granted are not guaranteed in other countries.
I'm not talking about some uneducated farmer using the word, I'm talking about the entire nation, even the prime minister.

Do japanese tourists pay more than Canadians? No because we have embraced multiculturalism. Something thailand has yet to do.

And yes, normally when the tourism industry is your golden goose laying golden eggs, generally not a good idea to cut it open looking for more.
Old 12-05-2014, 12:01 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludepower View Post

What tips do you have for tourists who plan on going. Are you saying dont go at all?
I don't want to scare monger anyone. Just making an observation of the 2 years I've been living here and hopefully people will have a heads up.

PS.

My brother just visited here. He lives in Saudi Arabia. When he got here he was blinged out in his gold chain necklace. I told him not wear it here but he didn't listen. Motorcycle gang saw it and attacked the girl he was with by pushing her over. When my brother picked her up they grabbed it and rode off. Also 2 tourists just had their faces smashed in on Ko Tao. Nobody believes the 2 Burmese men killed them but are only framed by the police to protect thailands image.
Old 12-05-2014, 12:12 AM   #24

Forgot to mention that if the police do stop you and want to search you, do not let their hands into your pockets or bag. Happens too many times where they put drugs on tourists and extort them and put them in prison if they can't pay. Ask them to show you their hands first, then open your bag for them, and empty your own pockets. Also record it.
Old 12-05-2014, 03:44 AM   #25

Sex tourist hahahahahahahahahahaha

buddy my wife and i have been travelling through SE asia for the past 8 months (along with Europe) as well as we were here last year

as for your not getting visa on arrival....what the fuck are you talking about??? i landed here three days ago and got my visa no problem

what exactly is it that you do in bangkok mr-non-creepy-white-guy-living-in-thailand?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludepower View Post

you'll be fine...just don't act like a drunk retard
This post FAILED by:
Closed Thread