REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Music & Clubbing (https://www.revscene.net/forums/music-clubbing_31/)
-   -   School Me on The Cello (https://www.revscene.net/forums/700015-school-me-cello.html)

xmisstrinh 12-05-2014 01:41 PM

School Me on The Cello

I want to buy one and take lessons. I don't know anything beyond that. Please help. Thank you :)

bcrdukes 12-05-2014 02:10 PM

Hi,

I may be able to help you so I have a few questions:

1. Do you have any previous music/instrument experience?
2. Do you plan on playing for pleasure or professionally?

Thanks.

Alphamale 12-05-2014 02:14 PM

3. Are you Korean? If not, do you plan to be?

**I've only seen Korean people carrying their cellos around. Any cello player that is worth anything has been white, except for Yoyo Ma. He's like a Unicorn Cello Player. Then again with a name like Yoyo, how the fuck do you not own everything you do.

xmisstrinh 12-05-2014 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bcrdukes (Post 8565327)
Hi,

I may be able to help you so I have a few questions:

1. Do you have any previous music/instrument experience?
2. Do you plan on playing for pleasure or professionally?

Thanks.

I played piano (haven't played for 7 years) but still sight read for fun here and there.

I want to learn for pleasure. I've always loved the sound.

punkwax 12-05-2014 02:21 PM

I've heard cello is one of the most difficult instruments to learn, and they are also expensive habits.

I know someone who has been playing regularly for ~5 years and he still feels he has a long way to go.

So time, money and commitment are three things I hope you possess.

bcrdukes 12-05-2014 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xmisstrinh (Post 8565334)
I played piano (haven't played for 7 years) but still sight read for fun here and there.

I want to learn for pleasure. I've always loved the sound.

This may not be the best resource, but you can start here:

Find a Teacher Here! - Vancouver Academy of MusicVancouver Academy of Music -

If not, you can look at contacting the music faculties of Vancouver Community College, Capilano University, or UBC's School of Music for teachers.

I would suggest you get in touch with a teacher first before you buy one because there may be alternative options, such as renting one. For all you know, you may not even like it and cellos are not cheap because there are better ways of becoming a Korean. While I do not play the cello or any string instrument, seeing fellow musicians carry around their cello is just a fucking eye sore and a huge waste of time.

Since you already play piano, I hope you can master Saint-Saëns' Introduction and Rondo Capriccioso then apply it onto your cello/violin or what have you. :)

xmisstrinh 12-05-2014 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bcrdukes (Post 8565337)
This may not be the best resource, but you can start here:

Find a Teacher Here! - Vancouver Academy of MusicVancouver Academy of Music -

If not, you can look at contacting the music faculties of Vancouver Community College, Capilano University, or UBC's School of Music for teachers.

I would suggest you get in touch with a teacher first before you buy one because there may be alternative options, such as renting one. For all you know, you may not even like it and cellos are not cheap because there are better ways of becoming a Korean. While I do not play the cello or any string instrument, seeing fellow musicians carry around their cello is just a fucking eye sore and a huge waste of time.

Was either plastic surgery or the cello. I like my face as is.

trollguy 12-05-2014 03:09 PM

this thread is confusing

so where do i sign up to become a korean?

bcrdukes 12-05-2014 03:10 PM

Get in line, hipster.

trollguy 12-05-2014 03:12 PM

already play the harp so eat it

dyan 12-05-2014 03:13 PM

Come on.. we all know that hipsters play ukeleles...:troll:

bcrdukes 12-06-2014 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dyan (Post 8565364)
Come on.. we all know that hipsters play ukeleles...:troll:

Ukelele is soooo 2004.

This is what's in. :fuckyea:

tiger_handheld 12-06-2014 09:45 PM

Vancouver Cello Club

snails 12-07-2014 10:12 AM

learn to do this and return

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uT3SBzmDxGk

edit: youtube embeds not working

Farfetched 12-07-2014 12:00 PM

Not quite the same, but I picked up the double bass a couple of years ago. Even playing the electric bass for a long time, there was a huge learning curve. Being a fretless instrument, there is a lot of muscle memory you have to develop which only comes via practice. I haven't a clue on the cello market, but I imagine a decent one will run you more than a 1k for a decent one. You might be better off renting until you are sure you want to fully commit to it.