REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 12-12-2014, 09:48 PM   #51
HELP ME PLS!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
Is that worse than releasing tons of carbon into the air?

It's a scaling issue, as I see it, if we replaced our energy needs with solar, it would be an incredible amount of panels we would need. When they become useless, what do we do with them. Releasing tons of carbon into the air might not seem so bad after that.

What kind of health issues? Source for temperature changes? (and not from a whackjob source please) Are these issues worse than releasing tons of carbon into the air?

Imagine not being able to sleep for hours on end, it's like a slow death. I would take tons of carbon into the air if it meant a release from suffering.

As for the temperature changes, i've heard that there was a wind farm around the gulf of mexico or southern US that raised the oceans temp by a couple degrees. It was in another thread.
http://www.nasa.gov/topics/earth/fea...wind-farm.html
http://www.engadget.com/2012/04/30/s...-temperature-/

They can be issues if the wind farms scale up to the space we need them to. Which would probably disrupt wildlife and nearing human population. I don't know if it's worse because it's comparing apples to oranges. Mass of carbon vs disruption/health issue.

Wind turbine noise not linked to health problems, Health Canada finds - Technology & Science - CBC News

Is killing a bunch of birds worse than releasing tons of carbon into the air?

Same thing with solar, scaling up to produce more energy from this method takes up more habitat/land.

These are genuine questions... If these are the biggest issues people come up with, it's not a very good argument against alternative energy.
Maybe if I'm bored enough, I'll do a calculation of how much land we need to replace our energy needs with solar fields. But i'm kinda tired right now.

You're right, those are weak ass reasons against alternative energy. The real reason is money.
Advertisement

Last edited by DragonChi; 12-12-2014 at 10:26 PM.
DragonChi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 10:08 PM   #52
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,872 Times in 3,849 Posts
Solar/wind aren't practical on a large enough scale to be significant, solar panels are very dirty to make and aren't very efficient once they are made. For cars, anything with battery systems are nasty to make because of all the shit in the batteries that has to be shipped all over the place and then dealt with when the battery is fried 5 years later. Cargo ships are notoriously nasty things compared to cars, so the ship used to transport all the batteries will likely offset any gains from running on electrics anyways.

The move to actually cleaner energy I understand from a pollution perspective, the whole climate change schmozzle is a different story since the last I checked nobody could conclusively prove that climate change was actually human caused.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 12-12-2014, 10:58 PM   #53
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,777 Times in 8,170 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
last I checked nobody could conclusively prove that climate change was actually human caused.
Where did you last check? because outside the fanatical right wing fringe, it seems to be the scientific consensus.

I have been agnostic on that issue for years, but everything I look to that isn't written by nutjobs suggests that...
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-12-2014, 11:00 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonChi View Post
Maybe if I'm bored enough, I'll do a calculation of how much land we need to replace our energy needs with solar fields. But i'm kinda tired right now.

You're right, those are weak ass reasons against alternative energy. The real reason is money.
Those are practical problems that need practical solutions. Obviously solar power isn't the solution to everything - it depends on the scale. To even suggest using solar panels to replace all our energy needs... you must be tired if you're not just being sarcastic.

The most practical clean energy is of course nuclear, but I really hope we can find a way to use it more efficiently. Having piles of nuclear waste sitting around can't be good.
Old 12-13-2014, 02:05 AM   #55
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 2,667 Times in 960 Posts
I see dropping gas prices as incentive to hoon
multicartual is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-13-2014, 03:47 AM   #56
I keep RS good

Thanked 5,538 Times in 1,502 Posts
well Lockheed has their bets on having an operational fusion based reactor in 10 years, it's already been in the works for 4 years.

They're dumping a lot of money into alternative energy sector to hedge against cutbacks on military spending.

I think we will see an exponential increase in the rise of efficiency in alternative energy in the next few decades... and that's when we'll have TRUE population problems.
Ulic Qel-Droma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 07:23 AM   #57
HELP ME PLS!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulic Qel-Droma View Post
well Lockheed has their bets on having an operational fusion based reactor in 10 years, it's already been in the works for 4 years.
Yeah those Lockheed Martin claims are pretty big. Fusion has also been 50 years away, every year.

Quote:
The most practical clean energy is of course nuclear, but I really hope we can find a way to use it more efficiently. Having piles of nuclear waste sitting around can't be good.
There's also the idea of have a mini reactor for every neighbourhood kicking around too. There are new reactors out there that use spent fuel too. From what I understand, progress is so slow in the nuclear industry because there's so much red tape and regulation. It's warranted of course.

Quote:
I think we will see an exponential increase in the rise of efficiency in alternative energy in the next few decades... and that's when we'll have TRUE population problems.
One day our population problem will be so bad, we'll have collapsed all the fish stocks and will be reduced to eating algae pellets. I don't see that happening in my lifetime though.

I think climate change is going to happen whether it be natural or human. But the human cause makes it happen waaaay faster. I for one would like Canada to get warmer. LOL
Old 12-13-2014, 08:37 AM   #58
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 7,109 Times in 1,264 Posts
Hmmmm global population is expected to settle at around 10B with only Asia and Africa seeing significant increases in population - if I'm not mistaken the Americas will only see an additional 1B at most, and this side of the planet can easily support that population. (Fertility rates drop as life expectancy increases)

Projections of population growth - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Clean energy is no doubt the future, the biggest change imo will be the increase in centralization and use of mass transit, incorporation of energy reduction in planning and construction of the cities of the future etc. We will still use oil/gas but hybrids will be the new norm and we will be well beyond a simple catalityc converter to reduce emissions. Urban sprawl will die a well deserved and painful death.

I'm actually strangely optimistic about the future for being such a realist lol though I will say that I feel less optimistic regarding certain geographic areas... Namely the Middle East and Africa... I think China will do alright if they actually straighten out their political problems.
jasonturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-15-2014, 06:12 AM   #59
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Quote:
Originally Posted by asian_XL View Post
THIS is what gas price supposed to be!

Sure, the price of gas was cheap, but the fuel economy of vehicles was terrible back then.
Reeyal is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 12-15-2014, 06:36 AM   #60

Thanked 1,137 Times in 259 Posts
Solar Power is bad because when we take all the energy from the Sun we won't have a Sun anymore.
Old 12-15-2014, 02:54 PM   #61
I'm better than you.

Thanked 3,087 Times in 658 Posts
But diesel is still expensive!

'14 Toyota Yaris [Work Daily]
'89 Toyota Cressida MX83 [Collector's status]
'15 Honda Ruckus [Summer cruiser]
'96 Toyota Hilux Surf KZN185 [Weekend Warrior]

Buy & Sell Ratings!
b0unce. [?] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 04:59 PM   #62
Banned (ABWS)

Nomomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 05:00 PM   #63
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reeyal View Post
Sure, the price of gas was cheap, but the fuel economy of vehicles was terrible back then.
Take your fist out of your anus and tell me how much better mpg Honda has gotten from now vs the 80's hondas
Nomomo is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-16-2014, 06:05 AM   #64
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

i think he's probably referring to the good old 5L's and other muscle cars of the day compared to the higher horsepower much better fuel economy versions of today
blkgsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 07:35 AM   #65
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

Bit of a rough ride today for us who are short oil.
Don't get scared.
ancient_510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 08:22 AM   #66
I keep RS good

Quote:
Originally Posted by ancient_510 View Post
Bit of a rough ride today for us who are short oil.
Don't get scared.
it's a bull trap. they're all gonna go hang themselves in the washroom over the next few weeks.
This post thanked by:
Old 12-17-2014, 03:44 PM   #67
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

Sweet so save 800 a year on gas but make 60k less working commercial..
GtRawr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 03:45 PM   #68
GO FLAMES GO

Thanked 2,210 Times in 701 Posts
96.9 in Kamloops...woot!
2001 Acura Integra Type-R *SOLD*
Club-Integra.net OG
Your Friendly Neighborhood Firefighter
Tegra_Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 04:01 PM   #69
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

The rubble is crashing.
meowjinboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 05:09 PM   #70
I keep RS good

Quote:
Originally Posted by meowjinboo View Post
The rubble is crashing.
it can say it's probably on purpose.

the purpose though, i duno.
Old 12-17-2014, 05:19 PM   #71
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 7,759 Times in 2,313 Posts
Quote:
it can say it's probably on purpose.

the purpose though, i duno.
To put pressure on the Russians.

Why else would the US start dipping into their own oil reserves.

It's also really funny how just as Russia seems to show a steadiness, the US signals for more sanctions. Its like they have a belt around Russia's neck, and every time the country exhales a little sigh of relief, the US tightens that belt even further.

Barney Fucking Purple FX35
Brianna - 2008 FX35 - Build Thread
meme405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 05:47 PM   #72

Russia fucked around trying to take over the European natural gas industry. They failed hard and are now suffering the consequences.
Old 12-17-2014, 05:51 PM   #73

Thanked 7,109 Times in 1,264 Posts
Quote:
Russia fucked around trying to take over the European natural gas industry. They failed hard and are now suffering the consequences.
Bingo. (At least IMO)
jasonturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 05:53 PM   #74
2x Variable Nockenwellen Steuerung

Thanked 1,174 Times in 704 Posts
It is more like Saudi wants to pressure Iran and Qatar to fold.. and also make sure the tarsands and North Dakota crude is not economically viable (might not be a bad thing for us, at least it will get the environmentalists off our backs for a while).

Russia is just a side show. It is not even OPEC.

Either way, Russia is and will be the only economical LNG supplier to Europe (a lot of fracking projects in Europe turn up bubkuss) .. Europe right now just wants a regime change, because they know Russia holds them by the balls.

Quote:

Last edited by godwin; 12-17-2014 at 05:59 PM.
godwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 07:24 AM   #75
HELP ME PLS!!!

Maybe relevant to the climate change discussion. What It Would Really Take to Reverse Climate Change - IEEE Spectrum