REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Police Forum

Police Forum Police Head Mod: Skidmark
Questions & info about the Motor Vehicle Act. Mature discussion only.

Old 12-18-2014, 08:41 AM   #26
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzira View Post
I don't know why you're defending this so hard.
if you're stupid enough to want to drive your car when professionals are advising you NOT to..for the safety of yourself and others. then fuck it they should keep your car you clearly aren't responsible enough to be driving it.
Problem is that there's so many stories of shady mechanics that some people will think they are being taken advantage of and not believe the mechanic.

For me, I have a reputable mechanic so if he ever tells me something is wrong with my car that needs immediate attention, I believe him.

On my Rav4, I had a slow leak in one of the tires that I didn't notice. Dealership noticed when the car was in the shop and they told me about it. They gave me the option of them repairing the tire or just swapping with the spare so that I can fix the tire elsewhere if I wanted to. They swapped it for me for free, and I took the tire to my mechanic who fixed it for free (vs. $30 at Toyota).
Advertisement
wing_woo is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-18-2014, 08:44 AM   #27
RS controls my life!

Thanked 1,245 Times in 274 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wing_woo View Post
Problem is that there's so many stories of shady mechanics that some people will think they are being taken advantage of and not believe the mechanic.

For me, I have a reputable mechanic so if he ever tells me something is wrong with my car that needs immediate attention, I believe him.

On my Rav4, I had a slow leak in one of the tires that I didn't notice. Dealership noticed when the car was in the shop and they told me about it. They gave me the option of them repairing the tire or just swapping with the spare so that I can fix the tire elsewhere if I wanted to. They swapped it for me for free, and I took the tire to my mechanic who fixed it for free (vs. $30 at Toyota).
fair enough, in that case the shop wouldn't dare to hold the car if they were lying about repairs that needed to be done and trying to rip people off.. thats a whole other lawsuit in itself.

shops would only hold a car if it was a serious safety issue.

I'm being very black and white I'm not saying every shop under every circumstance should be doing this. but once in a while a moron comes along with a death trap on wheels that's too cheap and stupid to fix it and drives it away then their brakes fail and blame everyone else.
Originally Posted by SkunkWorks View Post
I believe cars are meant to be driven. I see zero point in having a beautiful car and never driving it. Might as well have Miranda Kerr in your bed and sleeping on the ground cause you don't want to fudge her mascara...

We go through our entire lives being told what to do every step of the way. The garage was always the one place where you could indulge in your own passion, with not a care for the outside world.
Godzira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 09:55 AM   #28
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,906 Times in 3,869 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzira View Post
I don't know why you're defending this so hard.
if you're stupid enough to want to drive your car when professionals are advising you NOT to..for the safety of yourself and others. then fuck it they should keep your car you clearly aren't responsible enough to be driving it.
I'm not talking about DRIVING the car I'm talking about RELEASING the car. Have you never heard of a tow truck?

My issue is with the shops demanding that they be the ones who fix it and not allowing the car to be released at all, they aren't authorized to seize someones vehicle on a whim. If it's a legitimate hazard they should call the police not pull some auto shop vigilante bullshit, they aren't allowed to force someone to have the vehicle repaired at their shop simply because they found the issue, the RO has zero obligation to have a specific shop perform work just because that shop suggested it and claimed it a hazard.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 10:06 AM   #29
RS controls my life!

Thanked 1,245 Times in 274 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
I'm not talking about DRIVING the car I'm talking about RELEASING the car. Have you never heard of a tow truck?

My issue is with the shops demanding that they be the ones who fix it and not allowing the car to be released at all, they aren't authorized to seize someones vehicle on a whim. If it's a legitimate hazard they should call the police not pull some auto shop vigilante bullshit, they aren't allowed to force someone to have the vehicle repaired at their shop simply because they found the issue, the RO has zero obligation to have a specific shop perform work just because that shop suggested it and claimed it a hazard.
then that's where we are arguing the same point. There's no way they can hold the vehicle until the repairs are done at that specific shop. The vehicle will not be road worthy and you need to tow it and fix it- not drive it.
Originally Posted by SkunkWorks View Post
I believe cars are meant to be driven. I see zero point in having a beautiful car and never driving it. Might as well have Miranda Kerr in your bed and sleeping on the ground cause you don't want to fudge her mascara...

We go through our entire lives being told what to do every step of the way. The garage was always the one place where you could indulge in your own passion, with not a care for the outside world.
Godzira is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-18-2014, 12:40 PM   #30
Head of HR....have a seat on that couch

Thanked 15,584 Times in 4,318 Posts
IMO, call the cops to force them to release the vehicle and get it towed to a preferred one, to avoid getting a VI.

Originally posted by v.b.
can we stop, my pussy hurts...
Originally posted by asian_XL
fliptuner, I am gonna grab ur dick and pee in your face, then rub shit all over my face...:lol
Originally posted by Fei-Ji
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Originally posted by FastAnna
when I was 13 I wanted to be a video hoe so bad

RSUV #7
fliptuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 01:22 PM   #31
Need to Seek Professional Help

Thanked 1,820 Times in 501 Posts
Or just bring $300 to Canadian Tire on Boxing Day, buy yourself some nice tools and learn how to do things yourself. Google and YouTube have made it possible for even someone with no real mechanical experience to self-teach themselves basic maintenance and simple repairs..

No offense to the legit shops and techs out there, but I have a buddy who has apprenticed at multiple shops in the GVRD and some of his stories are appalling to say the least. I wouldn't trust any shop with my car unless it was somewhere well-known like the Speed Syndicate, and even then I would only go for things I can't do at home such as alignments.
Tone Loc is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-18-2014, 11:43 PM   #32
RS controls my life!

I have my BC motor-vehicle inspectors license and from what i remember from my course, I can not legally hold a car even if i see it is a hazard on the road. I'd have to release it and call the "compliance people". They are some group in charge of some sort of BC inspection or saftey thing. Either that or call the cops.
Been about 17 years since i've taken that course so things might have changed since then.
Old 12-19-2014, 05:21 AM   #33
RS Peace Officer

Thanked 1,636 Times in 683 Posts
I had a couple of calls from a friend of mine who was a mechanic inspecting some bikes that were unsafe. I was able to talk to the owner who was there at the time and convince them to not ride the bike away. I did mention the danger due to the mechanical condition and the additional consequences if I spotted the bike on the road in that shape. One guy had wrapped duct tape around what was left of the tread. Seriously!
zulutango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 05:35 AM   #34
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
I guess duct tape really does fix EVERYTHING!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 06:40 AM   #35
RS Peace Officer

Thanked 1,636 Times in 683 Posts
Well, in MY case, the women didn't find me handsome..............
zulutango is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: