REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   Video of dumbass stealing Macbook from Body Energy in City Square on Cambie (https://www.revscene.net/forums/700278-video-dumbass-stealing-macbook-body-energy-city-square-cambie.html)

E-SPEC 12-17-2014 01:09 PM

Video of dumbass stealing Macbook from Body Energy in City Square on Cambie

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v...59&pnref=story

He disguised himself as a plumber according to the poster of video.

pingu81 12-17-2014 01:31 PM

a plumber with a safety vest :toot:

E-SPEC 12-17-2014 01:34 PM

Thats exactly the description made by the body energy store.

TOPEC 12-17-2014 01:37 PM

the macbook can be tracked the moment it connects to the internet, unless the owner didnt set it up properly

GLOW 12-17-2014 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pingu81 (Post 8570399)
a plumber with a safety vest :toot:

funny you should say this. a few coworkers were discussing how you can practically walk in to anywhere with a hi vis vest and hard hat and people will think you belong there.

multicartual 12-17-2014 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GLOW (Post 8570410)
funny you should say this. a few coworkers were discussing how you can practically walk in to anywhere with a hi vis vest and hard hat and people will think you belong there.

Who posted that video of that guy walking through the hotel? The dude who is paid to break in and prove they can destroy corporations and people extremely easily because security is a joke?

Mr.C 12-17-2014 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by multicartual (Post 8570412)
Who posted that video of that guy walking through the hotel? The dude who is paid to break in and prove they can destroy corporations and people extremely easily because security is a joke?

I did. He does pentesting.

Relevant part starts at 19:00, but if you haven't seen it, watch the whole thing. It's excellent.

godwin 12-17-2014 06:42 PM

That's a lot of ifs. Find My Mac only works with Wifi. Once it is wiped.. there is nothing to track with. Also from my experience, location doesn't mean the cops will go arrest that person at the location even if it is a residence.. They will just politely go to the door and ask the person at the door to return it and who would admit they stole something to cops?!.. If you want the police to arrest, you need concrete evidence ie user's picture.. that's why don't rely on Find My Mac but spend the money on Hidden instead.

The store is dumb, for not to have at least a Kensington lock on the macbook. I bet they won't claim insurance because the deductible will be more than the Macbook.

I hope no customer information is on there because they can get in quite a bit of trouble for that.

The only dumb thing the thief had done is he didn't use a more powerful light source.. CMOS cameras are very prone to be knocked out.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TOPEC (Post 8570402)
the macbook can be tracked the moment it connects to the internet, unless the owner didnt set it up properly

AzNightmare 12-20-2014 01:39 AM

Practically can steal any bike in broad daylight with a lock cutter as long as you're wearing a construction vest.

People will just assume it's some guy working for the city, and someone's locked their bike in a spot not meant for bike locking.

quasi 12-20-2014 06:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GLOW (Post 8570410)

It's true, hell you don't even need the vest if you have a clipboard it's pretty much good enough. When I have to go look at a space to check out the existing conditions I can't remember ever having a problem getting in anywhere with just a clipboard, business card, tape measure and a camera including into stock rooms of retail stores and left alone.

GLOW 12-20-2014 08:06 AM

yeh i've done just a hard hat or just a note pad and people ask me if they can help me i say no i'm just reviewing the building & i ask where a panel is and they get me the keys to the back of house rooms.

alex.w *// 12-21-2014 07:15 AM

Wow not gonna lie, that is one good hd cctv camera.

All cctv standard should be this quality by now.