REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Food & Fine Dining

Food & Fine Dining Hungry? Come on down to Wings - Fun, Food and Drinks.
Top Restaurants in town? Got a good recipe to share? Share culinary info or post up photos of your delicious dish. #revsceneVLS

Old 12-26-2014, 04:10 AM   #1
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,816 Times in 8,190 Posts
Aeropress

Just got one of these for xmas and I have to say it toally rejuvenated my love for coffee. My previous favourite method was a moka pot, but since moving I haven't had a gas element to use it with (it won't work with conductive stoves)

I've been using a french press since then, but it can be finicky to get a nice brew from it. Everything has to be just right, and every coffee bean and grind is a bit different...

I was sceptical of the aeropress being any good, with the cheesy marketing, but it really is good. Very simple and quick to use, with very little cleanup. I haven't tried espresso with it yet though.

Now I just need a good grinder to go with it... Someone tell Santa for me!

Anyone have one? Tried different methods? I've been using the 'inverse method' but I'm not sure if that's even necessary. I tried an ice coffee today and it was pretty good.
Advertisement
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 10:25 AM   #2
My bookmarks are Reddit and REVscene, in that order

Thanked 13,465 Times in 1,814 Posts
My boss has permaloaned me his aeropress.
I've tried it a few times now, my preferred coffee (for home) are from those vacuum sealed bricks of espresso grind from Italy.
I love how the Aeropress filter is so fine, no sediment in my coffee.

Still prefer my French press for now, but that may change after I nail the perfect cup.
This post thanked by:
Old 12-29-2014, 10:33 AM   #3
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Aeropress produces a coffee with a real clean finish but I prefer the pour over with the Hario V60. That being said though, my favourite is still the full body you get with a French Press.
Old 12-29-2014, 11:15 AM   #4
Old School RS

Thanked 3,947 Times in 1,202 Posts
Funny timing for this thread, I am JUST making a decision between a pour over, french press, and aeropress. I guess for $25 can't really go wrong to try the aeropress out. Did you prefer the moka stovetop route? I have a gas stove so it is an option for me.

I love espresso but since I drink my coffee straight am finding it hard to buy a $1500 machine with all sorts of bells and whistles for dual temperatures, etc. when I just want a damn good cup of coffee!

Mark
Old 12-29-2014, 12:36 PM   #5
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 1,726 Times in 546 Posts
What is your budget for the grinder Skinny? I could name a few options here from cheapest to somewhat "higher end".

Disclaimer* My recommendations and preference might not be the same as others...The items below I have once owned or still have so is based on my personal experience.

There are two categories of coffee grinders; blade and burr. The former being ones you want to ignore. Most burr grinders will give you good grind consistency as well as sizing profile. Like chief's knifes, burrs come in different materials, sizes and quality. In my opinion, the best bang for the buck will be burr grinders from Baratza. They have been in the coffee grinder business for a long time and they are pretty much bullet proof.

A few question you should ask before you purchase.

1) How often will you be using the device each day? If you only plan to use it once per day, then maybe a hand grinder will be a viable option since it is portable, easy to maintain and usually less prone to breaking.
2) Are you planning to use this only for your areopress and other brewed coffee? If you plan to get an espresso machine later on, then you want to look for a machine that can grind fine enough for espresso. Most semi-pro and cafe shops will have 1 dedicated espresso grinder and 1 brew grinder.
3) Kitchen/desk real estate. Some of these machines are loud and take up space. Again, maybe a hand grinder will be a better option.

1- Hario Skerton (hand grinder)http://www.amazon.ca/Hario-Coffee-Ha.../dp/B001802PIQ - Cheap! You can get great grind consistency with a few tweaks (search online). Is portable and light, so if you decide to upgrade, this could be a great back up or travel hand grinder. Expect to turn about 150-200 rotations for 15g. Not recommended for espresso.

2-Porlex Grinder (hand grinder) http://www.amazon.ca/Porlex-Tall-Han...eywords=porlex A more premium material hand grinder. I actually prefer the Hario's handle, but I do find the Porlex to give me better grind consistancy and grind profile right out of the box. Not recommended for espresso.

3-OE Lido 2 (hand grinder) OE Lido 2 Manual Coffee Grinder A niche market hand grinder that is in high demand for coffee geeks. They are hand built by a couple in Idaho. Solid metal and glass material with a heavy duty conical burr. I currently have this at my office for my french press, aeropress and pour over setup. It only takes about 50 rotations to get 17g of coffee out. The Lido can also be used for espresso grounds.

I need a coffee break... I will write about electric grinders on my next post.

Last edited by bcedhk; 12-29-2014 at 12:42 PM.
bcedhk is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-29-2014, 12:53 PM   #6

Motorized Grinders.

1- Baratza EncoreEspressotec | Baratza Encore Burr Grinder - Entry level burr grinder that offers pretty much all the grind profile needed for brew coffee. One issue is the static build up around the tray, so you will bound to have a messy kitchen area. Some people say is enough for espresso grinds, but I would say otherwise...

2. Bodum Bistro Grinder Bodum Bistro Burr Grinder Not much to rave about. I bought one, returned it the next week. Although it looks better visually, the sound of the motor was loud and sounded like it will not last. Grind profiles were hard to achieve for anything finer than drip.

3.Baratza VarioEspressotec | Baratza Vario Burr Grinder Pretty much the best bang for your dollar. Mahlkonig made burrs, sturdy constuction and is actually quite good looking in a kitchen! It has micro and macro adjustment as well as 3 programmable timer (I set two of them for brewed, one for espresso). I've had mine for 4 years now and have had no issues
Old 12-29-2014, 02:37 PM   #7

Thanks for the advice! ~$30 would be about as much as I'd want to spend on a grinder, so that first one is probably my only option
Old 12-29-2014, 02:41 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowside67 View Post
Funny timing for this thread, I am JUST making a decision between a pour over, french press, and aeropress. I guess for $25 can't really go wrong to try the aeropress out. Did you prefer the moka stovetop route? I have a gas stove so it is an option for me.

I love espresso but since I drink my coffee straight am finding it hard to buy a $1500 machine with all sorts of bells and whistles for dual temperatures, etc. when I just want a damn good cup of coffee!

Mark
I really like the moka pot but for convenience I'd still go with the aeropress.

I've been tweaking it a bit, and in the morning I like it with a bit of single cream and topped off with a dash of extra water. In the afternoon I'll just take it straight. Right now I'm using UCC sumiyaki (charcoal roasted) beans. All I've ever tried is grocery store brands, with the exception of some Kona my sister sent after a Hawaii vacation. I may try some fancy roasters some time, but only if the price is right.
Old 12-29-2014, 02:47 PM   #9

Skinny, you are still in Hong Kong right?

5 Excellent Cafes In Hong Kong - Sprudge

Dark coffee, imo is not going to be mind blowing with the aeropress. I would actually recommend a french press for any coffee that is 'starbucks roast'. The aeropress really works well with medium roast.
Old 12-29-2014, 02:58 PM   #10

Thanks for the tips.. Interesting I literally just came across that first place on that list, when looking for local roasters. They sell this coffee which looks to be a reasonable price that I can check out.

Edit: After doing more research, I am really looking forward to trying some different medium roast high quality coffee.
Old 12-29-2014, 07:57 PM   #11

Specialty coffee is growing quite fast in Hong Kong. FYI, At The 2014 world Barista competition, Kapo Chiu from Hong Kong got 2nd place.

Medium roast will definetly be a change from drinking commercial coffee. Is like going from drinking budlight to craft beer; some people love it, some won't be able to appreciate it.

I recommend south american coffees if you don't want something too "extreme".
Old 01-02-2015, 07:03 AM   #12
Old School RS

Thanked 3,947 Times in 1,202 Posts
I just pulled the trigger on the Aeropress, I am looking forward to trying it out! Next up is a good grinder. Thinking I will go electric but still debating.
Old 01-05-2015, 10:56 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowside67 View Post
I just pulled the trigger on the Aeropress, I am looking forward to trying it out! Next up is a good grinder. Thinking I will go electric but still debating.
Honestly, unless you make 2-3 cups a day. a hand grinder, especially for an aeropress will suffice.

http://www.amazon.ca/Hario-Coffee-Ha.../dp/B001802PIQ
Old 01-13-2015, 10:50 AM   #14

Anyone have any favourite recipes?

I am just about to finish a pack of Lavazza oro beans (I think it's their only full arabica product, I find it to be pretty decent). I use 1.5 scoops of grind + water to "full" (I actually havent' measured it). I boil the water, dump it in a measuring cup, and then into the inverted aeropress. I find that this drops the temperature to about 85C immediately. I let it brew for about a minute, then add a bit of extra water for a nice strong black coffee. Sometimes I'll add a splash of condensed milk (dai pai dong brand, the only stuff I can get that is not made from milk powder)

I also do the same brew but blend in 1 tbsp of butter and 1 tbsp of MCT oil to make "bulletproof" coffee. I hate that name, but don't know what else to call it... It tastes so good and is a nice satisfying morning drink that easily tides me over until lunch time.