REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Police Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/police-forum_143/)
-   -   Excessive Speeding with an N (https://www.revscene.net/forums/700448-excessive-speeding-n.html)

Inaii 12-27-2014 02:38 PM

Excessive Speeding with an N

I'm having trouble finding this info on the ICBC website or the MVA website and just wanted confirmation. If you're caught excessively speeding (3pts) you also receive a suspension correct? If so, how long is the suspension? I found a thread that dealt with this, but it was from 2011 and I'm not certain whether the rules have changed or not (I've had my class 5 for almost 2 years now, so I don't pay attention to N rules anymore).

Guy from my other club was caught excessively speeding and was asking if he would receive a suspension. People are telling him he won't because you need 6pts on an N to be suspended, but iirc, excessive falls under different rules? Can anyone help me out with this info?

320icar 12-27-2014 02:48 PM

You only need 3 points on an N to get suspended *i believe*. I had one speeding ticket in 2009 when I had my N. Clocked at 61 in a 50, and my license was suspended after that. Clean record otherwise.

Inaii 12-27-2014 02:53 PM

That's what I thought too, but ICBC took down the page that stated how many points you could have as an N/5 before being suspended.

nma 12-27-2014 02:54 PM

dispute ticket on 29th day, pass class 5 test, pay ticket, problem solved.

Inaii 12-27-2014 03:03 PM

Not quite the information I was asking for, but thank you.

zilley 12-27-2014 03:30 PM

he will get suspended.

l2_narain 12-30-2014 02:38 AM

http://www.pssg.gov.bc.ca/osmv/share...guidelines.pdf

Page 13

Also, excessive speeding will get your car impounded for 7 days on the first offense

Excessive Speeding and Careless Driving - Road Safety Rules and Consequences of Unsafe Driving - RoadSafetyBC

|<e|_ 12-30-2014 07:49 AM

You should need 4points to get suspended if rules haven't changed. Got a speeding back when I was N 9years ago and wasn't suspended. But an offence like excessive speeding or dui might be a suspension regardless of points.

Traum 12-30-2014 08:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 320icar (Post 8573915)
You only need 3 points on an N to get suspended *i believe*. I had one speeding ticket in 2009 when I had my N. Clocked at 61 in a 50, and my license was suspended after that. Clean record otherwise.

Gee... 61 in a 50 zone while you are still an N-driver, and you fxxking get suspended?! WTF is this shxt, man...

Last time I got ripped off coming down Knight, and was literally cruising down at just a hair over 60 (quite literally, probably 61 since needle was just hovering above the 60 line mark), and the cop nailed me. Granted, it was my own stupid fault for not seeing him on the bridge. But this one strike and you're out business is just plain bullshxt, esp when it is something as bullshxt as doing 61 in a 50 zone.

BoostedBB6 12-30-2014 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nma (Post 8573919)
dispute ticket on 29th day, pass class 5 test, pay ticket, problem solved.

From what I understand, if you are found guilty even after you get your Class 5 they still impose the suspension still.

I read that on here, apparently someone had done this and it did not pan out how they had planned :P

underscore 12-30-2014 11:08 AM

Previously IIRC you needed 4 points to get suspended on an N, speeding was 3 and excessive was 6 or something. Now both are 3 points but I'm not sure what the limit is for an N driver before a suspension.

Fines & points for B.C. traffic offences

Here's a breakdown of the points associated with each ticket.

rriggi 12-30-2014 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BoostedBB6 (Post 8574830)
From what I understand, if you are found guilty even after you get your Class 5 they still impose the suspension still.

I read that on here, apparently someone had done this and it did not pan out how they had planned :P

If that was the case, me and many other people I know would have been suspended by now. Depends really I guess, its a work around for a system put in place in the interest of public safety

Inaii 12-30-2014 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by underscore (Post 8574866)
Previously IIRC you needed 4 points to get suspended on an N, speeding was 3 and excessive was 6 or something. Now both are 3 points but I'm not sure what the limit is for an N driver before a suspension.

Fines & points for B.C. traffic offences

Here's a breakdown of the points associated with each ticket.

Thanks, I knew what the points were for the offence, but wasn't sure about how many you need for a suspension. Either way, maybe he'll learn not to be an idiot now (probably not). Thanks for the information guys, it's much appreciated :)

320icar 12-30-2014 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Traum (Post 8574814)
Gee... 61 in a 50 zone while you are still an N-driver, and you fxxking get suspended?! WTF is this shxt, man...

Last time I got ripped off coming down Knight, and was literally cruising down at just a hair over 60 (quite literally, probably 61 since needle was just hovering above the 60 line mark), and the cop nailed me. Granted, it was my own stupid fault for not seeing him on the bridge. But this one strike and you're out business is just plain bullshxt, esp when it is something as bullshxt as doing 61 in a 50 zone.

Yeah it was pretty bullshit. Just another reason why I hate icbc. But at the time I lived right on a bus route and it was easy and cheaper to just hop on the bus to work. Live and learn

kkthind 12-30-2014 12:03 PM

How many points on class 5 before that gets suspended

Inaii 12-30-2014 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kkthind (Post 8574881)

I've heard 9 and I've heard 15... so I'm guessing somewhere between :lol

Traum 12-30-2014 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kkthind (Post 8574881)

At any rate, I think it is 4 points and you start paying insurance premiums. Especially when it comes to speeding offences, the current point system is ridiculous since the posted speed limits are unrealistically and unnecessarily slow in far too many places.

nma 12-30-2014 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BoostedBB6 (Post 8574830)

False

Source: I did it..

bossha 12-30-2014 08:50 PM

I was given a 3 point ticket and was only issued a warning through the mail.(had my N at the time)

However.. For excessive I think it's a 3 month suspension, and you restart your 2 years to be eligible for your class 5.

Soundy 12-30-2014 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 320icar (Post 8574879)
Yeah it was pretty bullshit. Just another reason why I hate icbc.

You do understand that it's not ICBC's fault you broke the law, right? And it's not ICBC who suspends you, it's the Superintendent of Motor Vehicles?

By all means though, do carry on displaying your ignorance....

underscore 12-30-2014 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inaii (Post 8574884)

Well according to the ICBC site (I can't find the page again though) there's listings for the cost of having up to 50 points. How the hell you could rack up 50 is beyond me, but the cutoff for suspension definitely isn't higher than that :lol

Nlkko 12-30-2014 09:51 PM

4 points of any combination to get a suspension under N. But suspension and restart N is the least you have to worry about.

After suspension, you pay couple hundreds just to get your license reinstated. 30 bucks for your license. You also pay driver penalty point premium based on points unless you surrender your license for a period (1 year?) then that is waived.

Speeding I get it. Dick cops are out to get you. Excessive speed, you brought it upon yourself.

R&R 12-30-2014 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inaii (Post 8574884)

i got 9 then suspended 2013

nma 12-30-2014 11:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nlkko (Post 8575087)
4 points of any combination to get a suspension under N. But suspension and restart N is the least you have to worry about.

After suspension, you pay couple hundreds just to get your license reinstated. 30 bucks for your license. You also pay driver penalty point premium based on points unless you surrender your license for a period (1 year?) then that is waived.

Speeding I get it. Dick cops are out to get you. Excessive speed, you brought it upon yourself.

I believe it's ON the 4th point though, like as soon as you go over 3 it's automatic suspension.. Not exactly sure because I've had my full license for a while.. Things do change.

Tone Loc 12-31-2014 01:06 AM

If you have your N still, the points threshold is 4, but for things like Excessive Speed you are pretty much guaranteed a suspension. I was suspended for 4 months with Excessive Speed as my one offence. It was a stupid thing to do, and the 4 months I spent taking the bus everywhere again and losing my then-GF because she didn't want to date someone with no car (good riddance) taught me a very good lesson. Live and learn lol