REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Mobile Phone & Tablet Chat

Mobile Phone & Tablet Chat Need to unlock your phone? Check us out at JP Cellular Repair.
Smatphones, Tablets, Pagers (lol), Accessories, Networks, Services, Tips & Tricks, Download ringtones, Screen savers..

Old 12-30-2014, 12:29 PM   #1
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,053 Times in 595 Posts
Anyone use Zoomer/Citiphone Wireless?

In my search for a better phone deal, I came across the Citiphone thread on RFD. Going through the last 10 pages or so, Zoomer Wireless also came up as being identical to Citiphone (both Rogers vendors, using the Rogers network). To me, an analogy that seems to make the most sense is using PC Financial as your primary banker (while CIBC runs it). Zoomer and Citiphone have no retail store presence, and everything is done over the phone or online.

Their current promotions are quite something- almost too good to be true. For $36, you get 400 Canada-wide minutes, 1gb, unlimited international text, CID, VM, etc etc. For 5 dollars more, you get 100 extra minutes and unlimited incoming.

As someone who likes to do extra due-diligence, I was wondering if anyone on here uses either provider. I PMd a person on RFD that made the switch and said that there's no difference in service that he could see. For reference, here are the plans (spoilered in case I'm breaking any forum rules):

Advertisement
m3thods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 01:29 PM   #2
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,595 Times in 922 Posts
try getting the saskatchewan/manitoba koodoo $55 plan. its pretty easy to get. i haven't done it yet as i am still in a contract and dont want to spend money getting out of it.

if you're worried about how to approach the situation at the koodoo dealer, just flat out lie and tell them you're moving there because you just got a job. make up something on the spot..
Gucci Mane is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-30-2014, 03:03 PM   #3
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,053 Times in 595 Posts
I've thought about it, but I am mostly interested in keeping my plan as low of a monthly cost as possible. I currently have a Virgin promo plan from almost 2 years ago ($29/mo for 400 canada wide min, 600mb, unlimited intl text, cid/vm), but it jumps to $40 in July. I never get above 300mb or 200 min talking in a given month over the past 2 years, so there's no need to get the extra data in my case.

I can jump ship now as I have an account credit which will take care of my cancellation fees, and the only "perk" I really care about is the bogo free cineplex movies. That said, going to Zoomer will save me almost $50 a year, so that's enough to cover the few times I use the bogo coupons. I'm just wary (as to be expected) when not going with one of the big 3 or their direct discount subsidiaries.
m3thods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 10:06 PM   #4
MiX iT Up!

Thanked 2,066 Times in 865 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight_KB View Post
try getting the saskatchewan/manitoba koodoo $55 plan. its pretty easy to get. i haven't done it yet as i am still in a contract and dont want to spend money getting out of it.

if you're worried about how to approach the situation at the koodoo dealer, just flat out lie and tell them you're moving there because you just got a job. make up something on the spot..
can you elaborate how it's easy to get? what the features are?

Sometimes we tend to be in despair when the person we love leaves us, but the truth is, it's not our loss, but theirs, for they left the only person who couldn't give up on them.

Make the effort and take the risk..

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't." - Eleanor Roosevelt
tiger_handheld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 12:17 PM   #5
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 2,420 Times in 669 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger_handheld View Post
can you elaborate how it's easy to get? what the features are?
Koodo $55 plan
Old 01-06-2015, 12:31 PM   #6
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 2,485 Times in 1,007 Posts
I went from Koodo to fido $55.. lol
Only diff is that I earn dog $...
Good thing is that BOYP gives you 10%... so after taxes, its less then $56...
I used to be on Wind, even with unlimited data, I find myself using wifi more cause slow data.. now with the MB/SK plan, I dnt use wifi unless I need to download a large file or if Im close to my data limit...
Old 01-06-2015, 04:34 PM   #7
MiX iT Up!

Thanked 2,066 Times in 865 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shenmecar View Post
If anyone wants to try this and report back:

1. Have an unlocked phone, there is no other way to do this, you need an unlocked phone. You also need to have a current Cell Phone plan with any carrier.

2. Go to a place that sells Koodo phone plans (I don't recommend going to a Koodo store. Try a Wireless Wave, Best Buy Mobile, London Drugs).

3. Tell them you are going to Saskatchewan for work or school and you need to activate a Saskatchewan line and that your friend/relative recommended a great plan with Koodo for $55. (school is believable still because it's the beginning of September)

4. The person selling you the plan will most likely think you need a Saskatchewan Address & Postal Code to get the new plan. THIS IS NOT THE CASE tell them to just try with your Current Address / Postal Code. It will work. Let them know you'll update the billing address later.

5. They will now give you a Koodo Sim Card and your new Saskatchewan number, put it in test it out make sure it's working. Take it out and put in your old Sim Card.

6. Go home check your email and set yourself up on Self Serve - Monthly Customers

7. Go to Mobile Phone --> Change Number. This is where you will be able to Port your current mobile phone number on top of your Saskatchewan one, after this step you will now have the $55 Koodo plan with your 403/587 number.

8. You need your current account number with your previous carrier (It will say on your last bill). You need to make sure you have no existing balances with your previous carrier make sure all payments are up to date in order for this to work.

9. Once you confirm this turn your phone off for 15-20 minutes and pop your Koodo Sim Card in.

10. You will receive an email telling you that the Port has been successful and you're now good to go.

There is obviously going to be a few questions, if you have any feel free to ask. I did this 2 weeks ago and it has been going flawless for me.

my experience, this plan is no longer offered by RoBelUs

Sometimes we tend to be in despair when the person we love leaves us, but the truth is, it's not our loss, but theirs, for they left the only person who couldn't give up on them.

Make the effort and take the risk..

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't." - Eleanor Roosevelt
tiger_handheld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 07:38 PM   #8
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

isn't this thread about Zoomers, not Koodo plan?
Old 02-04-2015, 07:48 PM   #9
Returner of Lost Phones and Turtles

Thanked 3,997 Times in 963 Posts
I very recently made the switch from Mobilishitty. Pretty straightforward and easy process. I was spooked out by the fact that they have no retail stores or any booths at all but apparantly they are owned and operated by rogers themselves so no worry of them needing to shut down or anything like mobilicity is. Called them up, requested a plan, give info and credit stuff, then they ship the phone of your choice to your home, i got mine in 2 days. Not too many phone options so best if you are bringing device then you can sell off the one they give you.

In terms of service i have friends that have fido/rogers and my reception is on par to theirs. LTE is fast as hell compared to mobilicity data.

$36 is a bargain for what you get. I believe double data/minutes promo ends at the end of this month. There is a referral bonus for $25 in credit to you so if anyone is signing up feel free to pm me.

21' 718 Cayman GTS 4.0
23' VW MK8 GTI 40th Anniversary
18' Tesla Model 3 LR RWD
21' Ducati Streetfighter V4 S

--
16' Mineral Grey F80 BMW M3 6MT SOLD -11/22
22' Halo Toyota GR86 6MT SOLD -11/22
12' Phantom Black - B8 Audi S4 - SOLD 04/19
07' WDP Acura TL Type-S - A-Spec/ATLP/H&R - SOLD 12/17
18' Matte Silver Ice - Triumph 765 Street Triple RS - SOLD 4/21
LP700-4 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-20-2015, 07:38 AM   #10
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LP700-4 View Post
There is a referral bonus for $25 in credit to you so if anyone is signing up feel free to pm me.
PM'd