REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 01-28-2015, 08:34 AM   #76
:inoutugh:

Thanked 5,833 Times in 1,836 Posts
Is there a a way to run 2 internet connections on your computer?

Ie: My normal shaw internet for browsing the web/playing games while at the same time only having my torrent program using the PIA servers to download a torrent?

If there is no way to do that then I guess simplest way is to have another computer for strictly torrenting.
Advertisement
Old 01-28-2015, 11:15 AM   #77
HELP ME PLS!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOS'd View Post

Ie: My normal shaw internet for browsing the web/playing games while at the same time only having my torrent program using the PIA servers to download a torrent?

If there is no way to do that then I guess simplest way is to have another computer for strictly torrenting.
Use a Socks 5 proxy for torrent downloading. It's available to you when you login to the client site on PIA. Use the generated login and password and setup your BT client then check to see if the torrent setting are accurate here.

Check My Torrent IP | Proxy & VPN Verification | TorGuard
willystyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 06:41 PM   #78
フルコンボ

Thanked 3,944 Times in 585 Posts
Just signed up! Thanks for the link!
RCubed is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-30-2015, 07:29 PM   #79
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,114 Times in 482 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by willystyle View Post
Use a Socks 5 proxy for torrent downloading. It's available to you when you login to the client site on PIA. Use the generated login and password and setup your BT client then check to see if the torrent setting are accurate here.

Check My Torrent IP | Proxy & VPN Verification | TorGuard
can you shed some light as how to do this? im using uTorrent and i have set the proxy as SOCKS5. used the generated username and password for SOCKS. proxy and port is set to proxy-nl.privateinternetaccess.com port 1080 as provided on PIA support page. after all that and applying the info, when i used uTorrent, it does not show that warning with successful detected IP as shown at your torguard url. tracker still shows from the site i used to grab my torrent from.
Alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 10:38 PM   #80
HELP ME PLS!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alby View Post
can you shed some light as how to do this? im using uTorrent and i have set the proxy as SOCKS5. used the generated username and password for SOCKS. proxy and port is set to proxy-nl.privateinternetaccess.com port 1080 as provided on PIA support page. after all that and applying the info, when i used uTorrent, it does not show that warning with successful detected IP as shown at your torguard url. tracker still shows from the site i used to grab my torrent from.
https://www.privateinternetaccess.co...s-proxychecker

EDIT: I recommend Vuze instead as you can bind your BT client to your VPN. If your VPN disconnects, your Vuze client will stop downloading immediately, preventing data leak. I'm not sure if uTorrent can do that. But I guess it doesn't really matter since you're using a proxy.

Last edited by willystyle; 01-30-2015 at 11:04 PM.
This post thanked by:
Old 01-30-2015, 11:05 PM   #81

thanks for the info. however, i set up everything as shown in the link it and still doesn't show that its using the proxy IP. still says the tracker where i got the torrent from. i have no clue as to why that is
Old 01-30-2015, 11:10 PM   #82
HELP ME PLS!!!

Well, it should either display the proxy IP or your real IP. I'm not sure what you mean by tracker.

What's your proxy address?
Old 01-30-2015, 11:45 PM   #83

ok i believe i got it working. it was just a noob/misunderstanding on my part on how it was done
Old 01-31-2015, 10:20 PM   #84
The Brown Reason

Thanked 5,863 Times in 1,525 Posts
Quote:

Just dedicate an old netbook/laptop with an external for torrents.

I'm using my netbook from 2009 with utorrent + vpn, and I use the utorrent remote on all my other computers to add/remove/manage torrents from anywhere in the house.

I signed up too, $40/year isn't bad
BrRsn is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-02-2015, 09:55 PM   #85
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

Has anyone else's PIA stopped working? It's just stuck on connecting no matter what region option I choose. Coincidentally, I can't download torrents either (this is on a non-VPN connection) since it can no longer find peers.
dasani604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 03:44 AM   #86
:inoutugh:

Thanked 5,833 Times in 1,836 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrRsn View Post
Just dedicate an old netbook/laptop with an external for torrents.

I'm using my netbook from 2009 with utorrent + vpn, and I use the utorrent remote on all my other computers to add/remove/manage torrents from anywhere in the house.

I signed up too, $40/year isn't bad
So just keep the other thing running whenever you want to download and add/remove from any other computer in the house?
Old 02-03-2015, 07:58 AM   #87
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 7,172 Times in 2,405 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasani604 View Post
Has anyone else's PIA stopped working? It's just stuck on connecting no matter what region option I choose. Coincidentally, I can't download torrents either (this is on a non-VPN connection) since it can no longer find peers.
Try disabling and re-enabling the network adapter (both the physical and the TAP), sometimes things get mixed up and stops working.
2010 Toyota Rav4 Limited V6 - Wifey's Daily Driver
2009 BMW 128i - Daily Driver
2007 Toyota Rav4 Sport V6 - Sold
1999 Mazda Miata - Sold
2003 Mazda Protege5 - Sold
1987 BMW 325is - Sold
1990 Mazda Miata - Sold

100% Buy and Sell Feedback
sonick is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-03-2015, 08:31 AM   #88
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Been on PIA for a couple weeks now, thanks for the link
danny_d19 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-03-2015, 11:20 AM   #89
The Brown Reason

Quote:
So just keep the other thing running whenever you want to download and add/remove from any other computer in the house?
It's a netbook so it uses like what, 10 watts? Plus it doesn't produce any heat.

I just leave it running 24/7 with 2x 1 terabyte external drives plugged in. Share the drives on the network and connect your netbook via ethernet and it's a pretty reliable, snappy set up.

For the OS I screwed around with Linux/Samba and NAS OS-es but kept runing into driver issues. In the end, I just installed a hacked version of XP. My Yosemite Macbook + Windows machines + Android tablets can all access/modify/stream the files from just about anywhere in my house
This post thanked by:
Old 02-03-2015, 01:48 PM   #90
HELP ME PLS!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasani604 View Post
Try re-installing the TAP drivers under Private Internet Access under the Start Menu folder. Fixes most PIA issues.
Old 02-05-2015, 07:40 PM   #91
HELP ME PLS!!!

PERFECT! I was just about to get PIA VPN with the gift card I got for Christmas. Now I can support RS while getting it.

BTW I'm back from a 3 year slumber.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bananana View Post
I definitely wouldn't want to run all my traffic through the VPN installed on the router. However I don't know if this is even possible.. would you be able to funnel all your torrent traffic through a bypassed port and have the VPN only on this specific port?
In that case you would just get a proxy such as BTGuard, but for the price you're paying, PIA is a better deal. Every single thing you browse, especially if you are on Google, is tracked, monitored, and logged. Not to say that VPN is bulletproof, but it's a start! VPN will not help you regain your privacy, I doubt anything will anymore, but at least you get some mobility back.
"With chocolate, you know what you're gonna get and I can't always be delicious."
Gachinto is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-07-2015, 06:19 AM   #92
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,322 Posts
I got an anoying issue I'll share in case anyone else is experiencing the same. I was using VPN Kill Switch & DNS Leak Protection and at some point when I shut down PIA it caused a bug. Basically I couldn't connect to the internet unless PIA was running. It didn't matter if I unchecked them, disconnected and exited properly it had changed some settings.

I had to uninstall PIA and uninstall my network adapter. I then reinstalled both and now it's working fine on or off. I won't be using those features anymore. I'm running Windows 7 and the standard PIA App.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I don´t care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. That´s how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 09:55 AM   #93
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Thanked 1,536 Times in 427 Posts
i use the vpn kill switch feature in PIA. when i disconnect from the VPN, i lose my internet connection, but once i quit the program after, i get it back.

try to disconnect and then quit, instead of just quitting. not sure if that would make a difference.
SoNaRWaVe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 10:07 AM   #94
フルコンボ

Thanked 3,944 Times in 585 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by quasi View Post
I got an anoying issue I'll share in case anyone else is experiencing the same. I was using VPN Kill Switch & DNS Leak Protection and at some point when I shut down PIA it caused a bug. Basically I couldn't connect to the internet unless PIA was running. It didn't matter if I unchecked them, disconnected and exited properly it had changed some settings.

I had to uninstall PIA and uninstall my network adapter. I then reinstalled both and now it's working fine on or off. I won't be using those features anymore. I'm running Windows 7 and the standard PIA App.
I got had the same issue with you except i never used VPN kill switch or DNS leak protection. They were never checked off but when i disconnect PIA, i lose internet.
RCubed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 03:30 PM   #95
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,814 Times in 8,189 Posts
If I were using a VPN, I'd rather use Windows' built in system for it. Just enter the IP and login info, it's probably way more reliable than any app could be.
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 04:30 PM   #96
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Hey guys, new to the whole idea of VPN and a bit unsure of how it works.
Can it be used with more than 1 computer on 1 PIA account? How will that affect speeds through the VPN, etc?

Is the VPN client necessary? Or can it be setup within the OS? I have multiple computers using both windows and Mac.

Does the ISP matter? i.e. if i setup PIA on my MacBook and take it outside away from my home ISP, and use my school's WiFi while I'm there, will PIA still work?

Thanks in advance.
chouchou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 06:04 PM   #97
The Brown Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by chouchou View Post
Hey guys, new to the whole idea of VPN and a bit unsure of how it works.
Can it be used with more than 1 computer on 1 PIA account? How will that affect speeds through the VPN, etc?

Is the VPN client necessary? Or can it be setup within the OS? I have multiple computers using both windows and Mac.

Does the ISP matter? i.e. if i setup PIA on my MacBook and take it outside away from my home ISP, and use my school's WiFi while I'm there, will PIA still work?

Thanks in advance.
I think you can have upto 5 devices on 1 PIA account.
The speeds are pretty good throughout -- you are sharing the VPN with everyone using it -- my internet speeds dropped by about 4% at peak, unnoticeable otherwise.

ISP doesn't matter -- it will work on any network you connect to by encrypting your data. Your school might not like you downloading/uploading large amounts of data, but in most cases it goes unnoticed (UBC/SFU WiFi from experience doesn't give a crap unless you get caught .. which you won't because VPN).
This post thanked by:
Old 02-09-2015, 09:41 PM   #98
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 4,578 Times in 934 Posts
my slow ass internet seemed to somehow get faster on vpn, go figure

no vpn.png
vpn.png
vitaminG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 08:47 AM   #99
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 7,172 Times in 2,405 Posts
I think I read somewhere it's because the VPN servers compress data, and so speedtests through the VPN may be artificially inflated.
2010 Toyota Rav4 Limited V6 - Wifey's Daily Driver
2009 BMW 128i - Daily Driver
2007 Toyota Rav4 Sport V6 - Sold
1999 Mazda Miata - Sold
2003 Mazda Protege5 - Sold
1987 BMW 325is - Sold
1990 Mazda Miata - Sold

100% Buy and Sell Feedback
sonick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 12:36 PM   #100
HELP ME PLS!!!

Been using VPNetMon the last couple of days, it's more stable and less problematic than PIA's VPN Kill switch and VPNCheckPro (paid software). VPNetMon is also a freeware, works with Windows XP/Vista/7/8/8.1. I have it set up to monitor my browser and Popcorn Time, so far so good. It disconnects immediately once my VPN connection is dropped. You can have it setup so that your browser automatically opens when VPN connection is detected. Pretty handy at startup.
This post thanked by: