REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 01-07-2015, 06:32 PM   #26
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,809 Times in 8,186 Posts
We'll be offering this deal until people start saying this service sucks. But it appears to be pretty solid, so it'll be here for a while I think
Advertisement
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-07-2015, 07:14 PM   #27
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Can this be used on any home setup (with Shaw, for example)? I understand the importance of hiding your address using a VPN due to the new piracy laws in 2015, but I'm not educated in modifying network settings such as these.
JHatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 08:27 PM   #28

Yes, it's as easy as running the software if you don't know how to set it up yourself.

Enter your login info, choose a region, and run it whenever you need to protect your connection. You can set it so it shuts down your internet completely if it logs out for whatever reason.

Alternatively there are many other ways to set it up within any OS you use, including phones, etc.

If you have a powerful router, you can set it up right there. This is not recommended for budget routers however.
This post thanked by:
Old 01-07-2015, 08:39 PM   #29
HELP ME PLS!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
You should be able to do it via OpenVPN... Try googling instructions?

Here are a couple I found

HideMyAss Wiki - Chrome OS

Digital Payments | The Dwolla Blog
Thanks, I'll try to give that a shot.
willystyle is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-07-2015, 09:06 PM   #30
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Are these private VPNs undetectable? Can one be blocked from their ISP or Netflix by using them?

Spoiler!
JHatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 09:52 PM   #31
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

a VPN isn't illegal so your ISP won't ban you, for the most part they will try to avoid giving away your personal info as it means they will lose clients. Your ISP will see the amount of activity you are doing but it will be encrypted so they will have no idea of what it is.
Adorkami is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-08-2015, 12:15 AM   #32
HELP ME PLS!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHatta View Post
Are these private VPNs undetectable? Can one be blocked from their ISP or Netflix by using them?

Spoiler!
All your ISP will see is the VPN Server (IP address) that you're connected to. They cannot see the data that's exchanged.
Old 01-08-2015, 12:26 AM   #33
misfortune cookie (V)

Thanked 2,716 Times in 422 Posts
Just signed up. Torrent download speed slightly dropped but still very happy with the program

Last edited by LsquareD on 00-00-0000 at 00:00 PM
LsquareD is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-08-2015, 12:43 AM   #34
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 2,796 Times in 915 Posts
works with Torrents i'll sign up.
Old 01-08-2015, 01:03 AM   #35
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 4,984 Times in 995 Posts
so with the new bill, if a company decides to sue you, they can contact the ISP and get evidence? this isnt mandatory right? to download the VPN

Can someone tell good or unusual dating spots? Or what was your the most unusual date? THanks for sharing!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp View Post
my bedroom =D
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhillon09 View Post
that's a great secret date spot,
i bet no girl in vancouver has seen it.
Verdasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 02:41 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verdasco View Post
so with the new bill, if a company decides to sue you, they can contact the ISP and get evidence? this isnt mandatory right? to download the VPN
Yes, that's what it means.

It's not mandatory to download the VPN software, if that's what you mean
Old 01-08-2015, 01:44 PM   #37
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Signed up before the Revscene stuff so I still got about 10 months left. Good service tho. I'm so paranoid I google what's my ip before I download any torrents heh.
mos_skeeto is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-08-2015, 05:22 PM   #38
Fanboy

I'm wondering how RS benefits from this?
Old 01-08-2015, 05:54 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by invader View Post
I'm wondering how RS benefits from this?
Commission on each sale... How else would we?
Old 01-08-2015, 06:03 PM   #40
Fanboy

Quote:
Commission on each sale... How else would we?
Ok, just was a little confused how you switched from promoting the other VPN service so quickly.

Is there a code or something we need to input?
Old 01-08-2015, 06:16 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by invader View Post
Ok, just was a little confused how you switched from promoting the other VPN service so quickly.

Is there a code or something we need to input?
I switched from the other one because they didn't allow torrenting, which is what a lot of people use a VPN for.

No code needed, as long as you use this link. Thanks!
Old 01-08-2015, 06:23 PM   #42
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,746 Times in 1,179 Posts
Interested in signing up as I use VPN often.

Can anyone with PIA who are currently in China test it out for me? The main purpose I use VPN is for leaping through the fucking wall. And I have gone through countless VPNs to find one that offers a decent speed (by decent I mean youtube would load smoothly)
Old 01-08-2015, 07:22 PM   #43
I subscribe to the Revscene NWS thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hehe View Post
Interested in signing up as I use VPN often.

Can anyone with PIA who are currently in China test it out for me? The main purpose I use VPN is for leaping through the fucking wall. And I have gone through countless VPNs to find one that offers a decent speed (by decent I mean youtube would load smoothly)
I remember one of my buddies using PIA in China had mentioned they were blocked. However, from a bit of research, it looks like they just block the domain via DNS, so if you use the IP, it works fine.

I found a review from someone within China that rates the VPN services. Might be helpful for you:

What's the Best VPN for China (Jan 2015) - Top 5 VPN Reviews
syee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 07:31 PM   #44
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Quote:
Done!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-08-2015, 09:17 PM   #45
HELP ME PLS!!!

Been using PIA for 3 years this coming July. Great price, great speed, great support and most importantly, they have a great privacy policy (no data retention), and allows torrenting, which is crucial, as that's what most people use VPN for. They are definitely one of the best VPN's out there for price to performance ratio. I'd recommend them!
Old 01-09-2015, 11:19 AM   #46
Fanboy

Quote:
I switched from the other one because they didn't allow torrenting, which is what a lot of people use a VPN for.

Just signed up.
Thanks for the suggestion for this site.
Old 01-09-2015, 02:46 PM   #47
My bookmarks are Reddit and REVscene, in that order

Thanked 13,465 Times in 1,814 Posts
I've been with PIA for a couple months now, overall, quite pleased.

On the subject of gaming
Just a word of caution though,
Since you're have 1 more "link" in your connection, it's 1 more point for failure.
There are occasional hiccups and the connection does die.
Consider that when gaming.
I have been booted from server mid-game.
I still game via VPN.
Also, obviously, higher ping, but still sub 300. Quite manageable.

On the subject of leakages
I'm a bit of a networking newb, but from my understanding,
- when PIA software active AND connected, then internet goes through it.
- when PIA connection dies, internet defaults back to normal.

This means you CAN end up with your torrent client connecting back directly to your ISP.
Even if PIA software kills net when connection is lost, that doesn't prevent user error of starting your torrent client WITHOUT turning PIA software on first.

I haven't done this myself yet, but there is a way to punch in your VPN info directly into your torrent client so there are no leaks.
I think one of our network admin vets can advise how best to do this.
This post thanked by:
Old 01-09-2015, 03:34 PM   #48

Quoting Presto from the bill c-11 thread:

Quote:
Looks like it's starting to happen, and the copyright trolls are so excited about it that they didn't change their email to apply to Canadian laws.

Quote:
Canada’s new copyright notice-and-notice system has been in place for less than a week, but rights holders are already exploiting a loophole to send demands for payment citing false legal information. Earlier this week, a Canadian ISP forwarded to me a sample notice it received from Rightscorp on behalf of BMG Rights Management. The notice, which is posted below with identifying information removed, must be forwarded to the subscriber or the ISP faces the possibility of statutory damages of between $5 – 10,000. Rightscorp announced that it was entering the Canadian market last year, so its participation in the notice-and-notice system is not a surprise. What is surprising is that the company has brought its model of issuing demands for payments to Canada by warning of U.S. damage awards and Internet termination in order to stoke fear among Canadians that they could face massive liability if they refuse to pay.

The notice falsely warns that the recipient could be liable for up to $150,000 per infringement when the reality is that Canadian law caps liability for non-commercial infringement at $5,000 for all infringements. The notice also warns that the user’s Internet service could be suspended, yet there is no such provision under Canadian law. Moreover, given the existence of the private copying system (which features levies on blank media such as CDs), some experts argue that certain personal music downloads may qualify as private copying and therefore be legal in Canada (Howard Knopf explains the applicability when the music is copied to “audio recording medium”).

In addition to misstating Canadian law, the notice is instructive for what it does not say. While a recipient might fear a lawsuit with huge liability, there is very little likelihood of a lawsuit given that Rightscorp and BMG do not have the personal information of the subscriber. To obtain that information, they would need a court order, which can be a very expensive proposition. Moreover, this is merely an allegation that would need to be proven in court (assuming the rights holder is able to obtain a court order for the subscriber information).

The full notice states:

Subject: Unauthorized Use of Copyrights RE:
Date: Fri, 2 Jan 2015 00:00:00 -0600 (CST)
To: abuse@isp.com

**NOTE TO ISP: PLEASE FORWARD THE ENTIRE NOTICE***

Re: Unauthorized Use of Copyrights Owned Exclusively by BMG Rights Management (US) LLC

Reference#:

Dear Sir or Madam:

Your ISP has forwarded you this notice.
Your ISP account has been used to download, upload or offer for upload copyrighted content in a manner that infringes on the rights of the copyright owner.
Your ISP service could be suspended if this matter is not resolved.
You could be liable for up to $150,000 per infringement in civil penalties.

The file BMG Artist – BMG Song.mp3 was infringed upon by a computer at IP Address 192.—.—.— on 2015-01-02 00:00:00.0 GMT.

We represent the copyright owner.
This notice is an offer of settlement.
If you follow the link below and login to the Rightscorp, Inc. automated settlement system, for $20 per infringement, you will receive a legal release from the copyright owner.

Follow this link or copy and paste into your browser:
https://secure.digitalrightscorp.com/settle/

Rightscorp, Inc. represents the following ‘copyright owner(s)’ BMG Rights Management (US) LLC (‘BMG’). BMG is the exclusive owners of copyrights for BMG Artist musical
compositions, including the musical compositions listed below. It has come to our attention that ISP Internet Services Provider is the service provider for the IP address listed below, from which unauthorized copying and distribution (downloading, uploading, file serving, file ‘swapping’ or other similar activities) of BMG’s exclusive copyrights listed below is taking place.

This unauthorized copying and/or distribution constitutes copyright infringement under the U.S. Copyright Act. Pursuant to 17 U.S.C. 512(c), this letter serves as actual notice of infringement. We hereby demand you immediately and permanently cease and desist the unauthorized copying and/or distribution (including, but not limited to downloading, uploading, file sharing, file ‘swapping’ or other similar activities) of recordings of BMG Artist compositions, including but not limited to those items listed in this correspondence.

BMG will pursue every available remedy including injunctions and recovery of attorney’s fees, costs and any and all other damages which are incurred by BMG as a result of any action that is commenced against you. Nothing contained or omitted from this letter is, or shall be deemed to be either a full statement of the facts or applicable law, an admission of any fact, or a waiver or limitation of any of BMG’s rights or remedies, all of which are specifically retained and reserved. The information in this notification is accurate.

We have a good faith belief that use of the material in the manner complained of herein is not authorized by the copyright owner, its agent, or by operation of law. I swear, under penalty of perjury, that I am authorized to act on behalf of the owner of the exclusive rights that have been infringed. While BMG is entitled to monetary damages from the infringing party under 17 U.S.C. Section 504, The BMG believes that it may be expeditious to settle this matter without the need of costly and time-consuming litigation.

In order to help you avoid further legal action from BMG, we have been authorized to offer a settlement solution that we believe is reasonable for everyone. To access this settlement offer, please copy and paste the URL below into a browser and follow the instructions for the settlement offer:

https://secure.digitalrightscorp.com/settle/

Very truly yours,

Christopher Sabec
CEO
Rightscorp, Inc.
3100 Donald Douglas Loop, North,
Santa Monica, CA 90405
Telephone: (310) 751-7510

** For any correspondence regarding this case, please send your emails to DMCA@DigitalRightsCorp.com and refer to Notice ID:

If you need immediate assistance or if you have general questions please call the number listed above.

Infringement Source: Torrent
Timestamp: 2015-01-02 00:00:00.0 GMT
Infringers IP Address: 192.—.—.—-
Infringers Port: 12345
Listing of infringement(s) (Title/Filename/Timestamp/Hash): BMG Artist
BMG Song | BMG Artist – BMG Song.mp3 | 2015-01-02 00:00:00.0 | SHA1 |

In a nutshell, Rightscorp and BMG are using the notice-and-notice system to require ISPs to send threats and misstatements of Canadian law in an effort to extract payments based on unproven infringement allegations. Many Canadians may be frightened into a settlement payment since they will be unaware that some of the legal information in the notice is inaccurate and that Rightscorp and BMG do not know who they are.

The government could have avoided this misuse of the system had it issued regulations specifying the precise content of the notices. Despite months of discussions on the regulations, Industry Minister James Moore abandoned the process, implementing the system with no additional information requirements and no sanctions for the inclusion of false or misleading information. The government’s backgrounder says that the law “sets clear rules on the content of these notices”, however, it does not restrict the ability for rights holders to include information that goes beyond the statutory minimum. Rightscorp and BMG are exploiting this loophole to send demands for payment accompanied by false information on Canadian law.

These actions necessitate two responses. First, Internet service providers should add their own information to the notices, advising their subscribers on the true state of Canadian law and reassuring them that they have not disclosed their personal information to the notice sender. The law does not prohibit ISPs from adding additional information within the forwarded notice and they should begin doing so immediately.

Second, the government should quickly implement regulations prohibiting the inclusion of settlement demands within the notices and creating penalties for those companies that send notices with false or misleading information. The Canadian government has frequently defended the notice-and-notice system as a balanced approach, but its fairness is being undermined with Canadians now facing the prospect of misleading settlement demands.
source: Rightscorp and BMG Exploiting Copyright Notice-and-Notice System: Citing False Legal Information in Payment Demands - Michael Geist
Old 01-09-2015, 03:34 PM   #49
:inoutugh:

Thanked 5,833 Times in 1,836 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Culverin View Post

This means you CAN end up with your torrent client connecting back directly to your ISP.
Even if PIA software kills net when connection is lost, that doesn't prevent user error of starting your torrent client WITHOUT turning PIA software on first.

I haven't done this myself yet, but there is a way to punch in your VPN info directly into your torrent client so there are no leaks.
If you check the box for "VPN Kill Switch" it should stop that issue from happening.
Old 01-09-2015, 03:35 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Culverin View Post
I've been with PIA for a couple months now, overall, quite pleased.

On the subject of gaming
Just a word of caution though,
Since you're have 1 more "link" in your connection, it's 1 more point for failure.
There are occasional hiccups and the connection does die.
Consider that when gaming.
I have been booted from server mid-game.
I still game via VPN.
Also, obviously, higher ping, but still sub 300. Quite manageable.

If you use the software, you can set it to shut down your connection completely if the VPN connection is lost. Pretty cool feature that should prevent this