REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   Photo of UVic parking warning due to student’s midterm goes viral (https://www.revscene.net/forums/700671-photo-uvic-parking-warning-due-student%92s-midterm-goes-viral.html)

Soundy 01-07-2015 04:22 PM

Photo of UVic parking warning due to student’s midterm goes viral

Photo of UVic parking warning due to student?s midterm goes viral - BC | Globalnews.ca

http://i2.wp.com/vipmedia.globalnews...size=720%2C480

punkwax 01-07-2015 04:27 PM

Good chance if that note wasn't clearly written by a girl, there would have been a fine.

Amirite?

Hehe 01-07-2015 07:13 PM

UVic is seriously fuck'd up in term of parking spaces.

They took out so many spots to build new buildings without considering how they were going to accommodate all the students/staffs.

When I was still there 8 years ago, it was always hard to find a spot already. With so many new buildings up, I can only imagine it being so much worse.

Nabatron 01-07-2015 07:41 PM

this is garbage! first off its only a warning and also it was from 2013 how is this even current news?

underscore 01-07-2015 08:01 PM

Reddit's been a little lackluster in content lately, and it hows.

DragonChi 01-07-2015 08:04 PM

There's always parking in the number 8 lot on the map. I went there 3 years ago, and it was never full. Most people are lazy and don't want to walk like 10 minutes across campus. Though, in the winter of 2010, it was cold as fuck during the December finals.

http://www.uvic.ca/home/about/campus...map-latest.gif

Also, last I heard they're upgrading the Ian Stewart complex (ISC) and upgrading parking lots there. Though, it's like a 15 minute walk to campus from the ISC.

SkinnyPupp 01-07-2015 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by punkwax (Post 8578192)
Good chance if that note wasn't clearly written by a girl, there would have been a fine.

Amirite?

Or a first offence?

Great68 01-07-2015 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hehe (Post 8578279)

They took out so many spots to build new buildings without considering how they were going to accommodate all the students/staffs.

When I was still there 8 years ago, it was always hard to find a spot already. With so many new buildings up, I can only imagine it being so much worse.

The new CARSA building is getting a parkade with 330 spots, despite all the protests from the NIMBYers in the area. They did have to make it smaller to appease those pieces of shit.

jonwon 01-07-2015 08:41 PM

Did this really need it's own thread? I was anticipating her getting fined and then causing a feminist shit storm, but nope.

DragonChi 01-07-2015 08:44 PM

Yup, I love hearing news about my old university even if it's a year late :p

DragonChi 01-07-2015 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Great68 (Post 8578335)
The new CARSA building is getting a parkade with 330 spots, despite all the protests from the NIMBYers in the area. They did have to make it smaller to appease those pieces of shit.

LOL, it's on School property, who the hell would care what they do with it. Other than the disabled groups hut they're building over it. At least, I think it was their hut.

j.f0ng 01-07-2015 09:11 PM

Current UVic student here.

Holy shit don't even get me started on the CARSA thing. I live pretty close to UVic, so I drive by the construction site whenever I go out or go home. I have lost count of how many times they've completely stopped traffic going both ways because of the construction site during the early phase. They completely ripped out the road and had it repaved, got rid of the stoplight on Finnerty and McKenzie and replaced it with a roundabout, threw in a new stop light, and a bunch of other stuff, all of which took forever and a half to build. Last year was not a fun time to be driving near that area of UVic.

Great68 01-07-2015 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DragonChi (Post 8578345)
LOL, it's on School property, who the hell would care what they do with it. Other than the disabled groups hut they're building over it. At least, I think it was their hut.

Well there are things like city bylaws that say what you can and can't build in an area.

And apparently there are height restrictions for buildings in that area, the parkade was originally supposed to be 7 storeys tall so Uvic needed a variance. Of course the Cadboro Bay area, whose residents are pretty affluent, had a protesting shitstorm over the "impougly sing seven storey concrete behemoth", so UVic had to cut it down to 3 storeys.

Great68 01-07-2015 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by j.f0ng (Post 8578361)
Current UVic student here.

Holy shit don't even get me started on the CARSA thing. I live pretty close to UVic, so I drive by the construction site whenever I go out or go home. I have lost count of how many times they've completely stopped traffic going both ways because of the construction site during the early phase. They completely ripped out the road and had it repaved, got rid of the stoplight on Finnerty and McKenzie and replaced it with a roundabout, threw in a new stop light, and a bunch of other stuff, all of which took forever and a half to build. Last year was not a fun time to be driving near that area of UVic.

The Finnerty road work is a City of Saanich project and is not a component of the CARSA project itself.

j.f0ng 01-07-2015 09:27 PM

^ah, gotcha. I pretty much just assumed the whole mess over there was one big project going on at once.

Jmac 01-08-2015 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hehe (Post 8578279)

Tell me about it, I was there in 2002 and 2003 and it was a nightmare then. Can't even begin to imagine how bad it is now.

BrRsn 01-08-2015 10:54 AM

Nice, so next time I'm at UVIC just write a sappy note instead of paying for parking :thumbs:

Godzira 01-08-2015 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dhillon09 (Post 8578547)
Nice, so next time I'm at UVIC just write a sappy note instead of paying for parking :thumbs:

only if you have nice girly writing