REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Computer Tech, Gaming & Electronics

Computer Tech, Gaming & Electronics THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Silicon Valley.
Tips & tricks, tech support, home theatre, online gaming, reviews, latest news...

Old 01-07-2015, 06:51 PM   #1
Zombie Mod

Thanked 5,169 Times in 1,551 Posts
Intel Compute Stick

This is pretty amazing. It's a stick that can run full Windows (or Linux)!

Quote:

LAS VEGAS, NEVADA—Set-top boxes and streaming sticks are decent, cost-effective ways to turn the TV you already have into a "smart TV," but Intel has an intriguing new option for those of you who want something a little more versatile. The Intel Compute Stick is a full Bay Trail PC complete with a USB port, Wi-Fi and Bluetooth, and a micro SD expansion slot, and you'll be able to get them with both Windows 8.1 and Linux.

We got a chance to see and hold the stick at CES this week. It's just a bit bigger and bulkier than simple sticks like the Chromecast or the Fire TV stick, but they're all basically comparable in size. The stick is big enough to block one or more neighboring HDMI ports depending on how your TV or monitor is laid out, but Intel says it will bundle a short extension cable you can use to keep this from happening.

The stick has a number of potential applications—in a business, you could hook it up to any HDMI monitor and create a makeshift all-in-one PC, or hook it up to a TV for use as a digital signage kiosk. At home, plugging it into your TV would give you something less than a full HTPC, but something much more capable than a basic streaming stick or even most streaming set-top boxes. The biggest problem for now is that the stick cannot be powered over HDMI—you'll need a powered USB port or a USB power adapter if you want to be able to turn the thing on.

The micro USB port used for power, the small power button, and a full-size USB port for use with peripherals or hubs are lined up on the left side of the stick, while a microSD card slot for expansion is on the right side. It will come in two different flavors: a Windows 8.1 version with 2GB of RAM and 32GB of storage for $149, and a Linux version with 1GB of RAM and 8GB of storage for around $89. Intel says that Ubuntu will probably be the distribution of choice for the Linux version, though installing an alternate distribution should be just as easy as it is on a regular PC.

Both sticks come with a quad-core Bay Trail Atom Z3735F, Bluetooth 4.0, and 2.4GHz 802.11n Wi-Fi. They should be available in March.
Advertisement
Old 01-07-2015, 07:13 PM   #2
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,383 Times in 3,465 Posts
Sticks like that have been out for months in China. It is a great idea and the CPU is not that slow. I have an HP Stream 7 tablet that has similar specs and it's not slow even with only one gig of ram. The best part is it only cost me $109.

This came out in October
MEEGO-T01 HDMI TV Stick Supports Android, Windows 8.1, and Ubuntu/Linux

Old 01-07-2015, 07:35 PM   #3
Say! Say! Say!

Thanked 3,215 Times in 1,398 Posts
The Z3735F is actually a nice and snappy processor. It's in my ASUS X205TA notebook that I use for general computing and school. I'd probably recommend getting the 2GB version of the Intel stick though.
Originally Posted by 89blkcivic View Post
Did I tell you guys black is my favourite colour? My Ridgeline is black. My Honda Fit is black. Wish my dick was black........ LOL.
Razor Ramon HG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 07:00 AM   #4
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

I have an android TV stick, works ok, but, is a couple years old. These new ones look really good, i like the idea of running Windows
Habboy is offline   Reply With Quote