REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 01-09-2015, 10:52 PM   #1
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,806 Times in 8,185 Posts
Islamic jihadists killed 2000 people in Nigeria this week

Nigeria: Massacre Possibly Deadliest in Boko Haram?s history | Amnesty International USA

Kind of lost in the Paris news, since that attack is more direct in the west... But this is obviously much worse. They're still against everything the good side of the world is for - their name literally means "Western education is forbidden"

Boko Haram - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Advertisement
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-09-2015, 11:20 PM   #2
...in the world.

Thanked 7,636 Times in 2,321 Posts
Wow, that is fucked. I'm not one to blame religion, because the actual nicest person I know is Muslim and has always been nothing but a bro but holy shit, that's fucked. 2000 people?

Radical assholes. That's such a misguided way to live.
Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 11:44 PM   #3
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,380 Times in 3,906 Posts
I always thought their name meant Book Forbidden(haram) heard that boko pronounced in their african language sounds like book in english

The US has been talking about doing something about Boko Haram for a long time now and nothing yet :/ The African Union declared war on them but doesn't seem capable or really willing to do anything -_-
The UN or some other world powers should step up and put an end to it.

As I understand Boko Haram started up as an Anti-government corruption party and attracted a lot of poor and those who felt disenfranchised by the government but they somehow turned into what it is today...murderous nutjobs

It's not real news unless it happens in the west it would seem, I didn't hear anything about it until your post
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 11:51 PM   #4
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,806 Times in 8,185 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StylinRed View Post
I always thought their name meant Book Forbidden(haram) heard that boko pronounced in their african language sounds like book in english

The US has been talking about doing something about Boko Haram for a long time now and nothing yet :/ The African Union declared war on them but doesn't seem capable or really willing to do anything -_-
The UN or some other world powers should step up and put an end to it.

As I understand Boko Haram started up as an Anti-government corruption party and attracted a lot of poor and those who felt disenfranchised by the government but they somehow turned into what it is today...murderous nutjobs

It's not real news unless it happens in the west it would seem, I didn't hear anything about it until your post
Apparently book is slang for western books (since they're saying it in English) and thus "western education"

Since we are in the west, it only makes sense that news that happens in the west is what we hear about. You have to hope someone brings up other news like this, but IMO it's nothing to complain about.
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 11:58 PM   #5
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,380 Times in 3,906 Posts
for something so huge though i'd expect it on the BBC as they usually cover Africa pretty well given their history with the region (not complaining mind you just quite surprised)

Even in their African subtopic currently the only article about Boko Haram is Niger dropping out of the war against them (and even that's buried at the bottom)

BBC News - Africa

Quote:
Niger has said it will not be involved in attempts to retake the key north-east Nigerian town of Baga from the militant Islamist group, Boko Haram.

Bodies reportedly lay strewn on the streets of the town following an assault by the Islamists on Wednesday, with hundreds feared killed.

The town is near the border with Chad and had housed a military base staffed partly by multinational forces.

Soldiers from Niger had been there but were not present when it was attacked.

Nigerian officials say government troops backed by air strikes have now begun an effort to recapture Baga.
BBC News - Boko Haram crisis: Niger 'will not help retake' town of Baga
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 07:45 AM   #6
MG1
Fathered more RS members than anybody else. Who's your daddy?

Thanked 11,509 Times in 4,901 Posts
Very tragic. Even moreso that it hasn't really been covered by the media as much.....

Rest in Peace and Namo Amida Butsu to those who suffered at the hands of mindless, selfish bastards.

on a side note, I was reminded of this

Spoiler!
MG1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 03:50 PM   #7
I keep RS good

Thanked 5,539 Times in 1,502 Posts
it's happening everywhere.

even places like china have terrorist trouble. u just never hear it on the news cuz... well china.

these guys are everywhere man.
Ulic Qel-Droma is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: