REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   Marine Pub DESTROYED by Fire!!! (https://www.revscene.net/forums/700741-marine-pub-destroyed-fire.html)

Habboy 01-10-2015 07:46 AM

Marine Pub DESTROYED by Fire!!!

Burnaby?s Marine Pub gutted by three-alarm fire - BC | Globalnews.ca

This place has been around for a while was a bit of a landmark.

Soundy 01-10-2015 07:53 AM

Noooooooo! Used to go to a tech school right across the road (it's a daycare now, or something)... many good post-exam beers were had there.

death_blossom 01-10-2015 09:13 AM

oh man, I used to love going there. RIP Marine Pub :(

Gtrr33 01-10-2015 09:21 AM

One of our go to wings place! Rip

punkwax 01-10-2015 10:09 AM

I've had the hot wings there once, and it basically a bowl of soup there was so much hotsauce on them. Super hot hotsauce too... :moon:

Euro7r 01-10-2015 12:57 PM

Use to always go there for canucks and wings night. :fuuuuu:

Lomac 01-10-2015 03:35 PM

Used to love that place! :okay:

pastarocket 01-12-2015 06:53 PM

The owner released surveillance video of the scumbags who were in the pub prior to its destruction:

Surveillance video of suspicious activity at gutted Burnaby pub | Watch News Videos Online

Presto 01-12-2015 07:02 PM

^^^

Looks like one of them is female.

moody 01-12-2015 08:14 PM

I drove by there on Sunday and my heart sunk a bit. I remember the $0.10'wings, cheap pizza, ufc and Canucks nights. I always thought the pub was in the middle of nowhere.. Lol I hope they'll rebuild it and have its doors open soon!

Tapioca 01-12-2015 09:20 PM

Not a chance it gets rebuilt as a pub. The landlord will submit a rezoning application and it'll be turned into residences. Pretty standard issue in Metro Vancouver.

lowside67 01-12-2015 10:32 PM

If you were to go full CiC on the situation, that would make for a pretty strong motive to burn a place down... insurance money and then a potential justification for a rezoning...

Yodamaster 01-13-2015 02:31 PM

Fuck, so the only good pub near my shop gets burned down, this is bullshit.

murd0c 01-13-2015 03:03 PM

Do the owners of the land own the pub tho? Even if they are not they still have a lease for the property so with insurance covering the damage they should still be able to rebuild the pub and not rezone it for housing.

Habboy 01-13-2015 03:40 PM

Still hoping it gets rebuilt, but , ya, the realities are that more $$$ would be made otherwise

AzNightmare 01-13-2015 07:50 PM

Owner believes arsonist torched iconic B.C. pub | CTV Vancouver News

Quote:

Singh (pub owner) said he vows to rebuild the pub as soon as possible.

VR6GTI 01-14-2015 10:24 AM

Why am i only hearing about these wings after this place burns down?

Tapioca 01-15-2015 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by murd0c (Post 8580732)
Do the owners of the land own the pub tho? Even if they are not they still have a lease for the property so with insurance covering the damage they should still be able to rebuild the pub and not rezone it for housing.

It depends who owns the building - the landlord or the lessee (i.e. the company managing the pub). If the landowner does, then it would just collect the insurance on the building and probably sell the land to the highest bidder who would then apply to the city for a rezoning.

If it does get rebuilt as a pub, it'll probably be sold to another company (say Donnelly) who will gentrify the pub which will destroy any charm the original pub had.

jing 01-15-2015 11:19 PM

The pub was sold by the original owner a few years back already. I have heard from a reliable source that the owners had previously applied for rezoning in hopes of yet another condo development but we're rejected by the city. Take this post with a grain of salt however.

bing 01-16-2015 01:00 AM

It's highly probable the lease will become 'frustrated' (legal jargon) and the contract terminated. Final say would depend on what clauses were in the contract between lessee and lessor though.

That's based on my understanding after completing the property management licensing course.

sebTeggy 01-16-2015 07:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bing (Post 8581914)
It's highly probable the lease will become 'frustrated' (legal jargon) and the contract terminated. Final say would depend on what clauses were in the contract between lessee and lessor though.

That's based on my understanding after completing the property management licensing course.

God, that sucks! I remember that was one of the only places you could drink a beer on the patio, have a smoke, with the heater on. Even the view out the back I remember being nice. Lots of clear land, almost felt like you were out in the country, not in South Burnaby.

They do have a really nice piece of real estate though. Marine Drive @ Marine way has been hardcore developed recently, and I wouldn't be surprised if they had something in the words for that area, it would make a very attractive subdivision for sure.