REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Employment Resources

Employment Resources THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Revscene-opolis
Share job postings, network, workplace humour or politics..

Old 01-14-2015, 09:52 AM   #1
RS controls my life!

Thanked 1,245 Times in 274 Posts
Any HD Mechanics on here?

I'm a automotive apprentice in Alberta, after moving to BC I was hired on at a shop but I would've had to start my apprenticeship over..

If I need to start from scratch I was thinking I would try Heavy Duty instead.

Should I make the switch? What should I expect? Has anyone else worked in both of these trades? Can you tell me any pros, cons, suggestions, etc.

I'm a petite girl so it's not going to be easy to find a place that will give me a chance but it was just as hard getting hired on as an apprentice at an automotive shop so if I can do that hopefully I can get lucky again. I have really good references, the handskills and knowledge.

I'd just like to weigh my options before going through all of the trouble and it's a big choice to make.
Advertisement
Originally Posted by SkunkWorks View Post
I believe cars are meant to be driven. I see zero point in having a beautiful car and never driving it. Might as well have Miranda Kerr in your bed and sleeping on the ground cause you don't want to fudge her mascara...

We go through our entire lives being told what to do every step of the way. The garage was always the one place where you could indulge in your own passion, with not a care for the outside world.
Godzira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 01:13 PM   #2
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,496 Times in 4,303 Posts
Hi,

There was a similar thread in Vancouver Off Topic that may answer a few questions.

http://www.revscene.net/forums/700123-career-help.html

Good luck.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 01:47 PM   #3
RS controls my life!

so that's basically just saying "be an HD mechanic"

I'm mostly wondering what I'd be getting myself into or if it would even be physically possible for me to do it.

With automotive, hoists and jacks do all the lifting for me other than tires and whatever else but it's very minor compared to HD.
I kind of assumed it was easier in heavy duty since everything's bigger and easier to get to.. I wouldn't have to bend my arm in unnatural ways to get at a part and wouldn't be cramped in a tiny little compartment.

I don't feel like weight lifting just for a job.. but I'm still trying to get a feel for what I could expect out of that career path. or is it completely out of the question for a weakling to be an hd mechanic??
I believe cars are meant to be driven. I see zero point in having a beautiful car and never driving it. Might as well have Miranda Kerr in your bed and sleeping on the ground cause you don't want to fudge her mascara...

We go through our entire lives being told what to do every step of the way. The garage was always the one place where you could indulge in your own passion, with not a care for the outside world.
Old 01-14-2015, 01:49 PM   #4
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,496 Times in 4,303 Posts
You should also consider the prospective employers should you choose to enter in to heavy duty.

Despite this being a general statement, large corporations will often have hiring practices that promote women in the work force as opposed to say "Joe's Garage up the street." I have a female friend who has been very successful in both aerospace and in transportation industries as a mechanic.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-14-2015, 02:13 PM   #5
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 3,782 Times in 1,242 Posts
Work smarter not harder. Just because you're a HD mechanic doesn't mean you're lifting heavy ass shit, lots of assisted lifting equipment out there.

That being said, it's still a "trade". Can't be expecting to not bust your ass from time to time.
Old 01-14-2015, 02:15 PM   #6
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 3,782 Times in 1,242 Posts
Double post
Old 01-14-2015, 11:40 PM   #7
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

i can chime in since im a short guy and was doing auto mechanic and some heavy duty stuff at the same time,

first off, your gonna have a hell of a time getting the hood open, i was about 130lbs and had trouble getting the front open, you gotta grab the front of the hood and use your weight to pull the hood open

there are wheel dollies you can use to move wheels around if they are the type where 2 wheels are bolted together, but otherwise, if its just a single tire, your probably dealing with a wheel thats over 100lbs, try lifting a wheel of that weight onto the axle and holding a 30lb impact gun to tighten the wheels

there are no tire machines for mounting tires, you gotta just fall on the rim while holding the tire and it will just pop in, no need to balance them

everything is bigger and heavier, a brake drum on a tractor trailer is usually 100lbs

when your working in heavy duty, it almost feels like your working out 8 hours a day, its tough and hard work but its fun driving those trucks around

auto mechanic is not bad but be prepared to invest alot in tools and scanners, you cant install a battery in a bmw these days without having a scan tool
Old 01-15-2015, 06:37 AM   #8
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Up here in Fort Mac, you'd have to find a company willing to take you in for an apprenticeship. It all depends who you work for as well, some companies have fuel and lube techs, tire techs, laborers so you won't have to do everything.

When it comes to lifting stuff, can't lift anything over 50lbs as per WCB. Most of the work usually require a shop crane or even any lifting equipment so you won't have to work hard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Presto View Post
I went to Saskatchewan once. 30min is all I need to know that I don't want to go back there.
koukimonst3r is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-15-2015, 08:45 AM   #9
RS controls my life!

Thanks for all of the input, I really appreciate it.
from what I've been told from friends and what you guys are saying I'm pretty sure my fragileness is a huge set back for hd and I'm leaning more towards restarting my automotive apprenticeship. I need to do something hands on for sure, I have a desk job right now just to get back on my feet from the move and I can't take the mind numbingness long days of sitting at a computer I find it way more exhausting than hard labour as crazy as that sounds.
It is slow season in the auto industry too so I might wait until around may to drop resumes off.
I'm really kicking myself for choosing this job over an apprenticeship. I worked a day at a rhd shop on the island when we first moved out here the pay was garbage but they would front me money for school and get all my paperwork together to restart my apprenticeship, then gm called me and offered me a lot more money to sit at a desk in service. Financially it was the better choice but now I'm really regretting it

Old 01-31-2015, 06:32 PM   #10
I don't get it

If you want to be a mechanic and stay with the lighter stuff, get into the forklift industry but stay with the battery powered machines. They are always looking for people that have an electrical aptitude. All food warehouses are using electric forklifts, power jacks, scissor lifts, walkies, etc. and they need people that can troubleshoot problems.
sleepywheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 12:31 PM   #11
RS controls my life!

Well I quit my job today I start at a shop on Feb. 23, I'm sooo excited!!!