REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   Sony Stores in Canada being shut down (https://www.revscene.net/forums/700848-sony-stores-canada-being-shut-down.html)

Mikoyan 01-15-2015 09:41 AM

Sony Stores in Canada being shut down

Following right behind Target, Sony's shutting down all 14 Sony Stores.

I'm surprised they stayed open this long.

Sony will close all of its stores in Canada: reports | News1130

6o4__boi 01-15-2015 09:46 AM

did this really need a thread...

there's like one store here in metro and no one gave a shit about it.
afaik no one will even noticed it closed down cus no one went in the first place lol

Verdasco 01-15-2015 09:56 AM

there is one in PC that is always empty... and richmond centre

pastarocket 01-15-2015 09:59 AM

The problem with Sony is that they missed the boat big time in terms of bringing new, innovative products to market. Cloud storage? Apple beat them to it.

Mobile devices? Again, Apple beat them to the punch with the iPhone and iPod.

They haven't had a hit since the Walkman, and the Playstation. :smug:

Sony Pictures? The Interview sucks! :heckno:

Tone Loc 01-15-2015 10:18 AM

Sony products in their stores were always overpriced and often more expensive than the exact same Sony product at Best Buy/Future Shop. The only reason the Apple Store works is because their stuff pretty much never goes on sale, and when it does it's only for $50~ or so below normal price.

ts14 01-15-2015 10:20 AM

inb4 new thread " VELOCITY CARS SHUT DOWN"

Spoon 01-15-2015 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 6o4__boi (Post 8581465)
did this really need a thread...

there's like one store here in metro and no one gave a shit about it.
afaik no one will even noticed it closed down cus no one went in the first place lol

That corner's like the dead zone of Metrotown. Makes me wonder if rent is relatively lower just to be located there. :lawl:

quasi 01-15-2015 11:44 AM

God dammit, now where am I going to go to pay 20% more then say Best Buy or Future Shop for the same model Sony TV?............FML.

Hondaracer 01-15-2015 11:52 AM

Sony TV's > *

meme405 01-15-2015 11:57 AM

I'm just hoping their action cam gear goes on sale so I can snap up a few things I need.

320icar 01-15-2015 12:53 PM

Fuck Sony stores. I've been unhappy with so many products over the years with them. I can only speak for the Richmond centre staff but they are aweful. Totally snobby and act like if you don't drive a benz then get the fuck out of my store

underscore 01-15-2015 12:56 PM

The fact that any of them were open as long as they were is amazing, the one they had in Kelowna was always dead. The salespeople were always assholes and the prices were stupid.

mk1freak 01-15-2015 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ts14 (Post 8581487)
inb4 new thread " VELOCITY CARS SHUT DOWN"

inb4 new thread "VIP autobody shuts down"
Spoiler!

Manic! 01-15-2015 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pastarocket (Post 8581473)
The problem with Sony is that they missed the boat big time in terms of bringing new, innovative products to market. Cloud storage? Apple beat them to it.

Cloud storage was not new when Apple got into the game.

keifun 01-15-2015 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 320icar (Post 8581569)
Fuck Sony stores. I've been unhappy with so many products over the years with them. I can only speak for the Richmond centre staff but they are aweful. Totally snobby and act like if you don't drive a benz then get the fuck out of my store

+1 for the snobby staff at the Richmond Centre location.

Went to Visions instead of their overpriced electronics in store.

Sid Vicious 01-15-2015 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pastarocket (Post 8581473)

you take that back...the movie was hilarious

Exc3L 01-15-2015 01:39 PM

Richmond centre staff is the worst!
Even the manager was unprofessional.
That being said, Sony North America is way behind, especially in Canada.
They have a lot of cool products in Europe in Asia, that we never get there.
Pricing is just not competitive.

EmperorIS 01-15-2015 01:50 PM

Can't wait to go to a Sony store and laugh at their cocky unemployed faces

Bouncing Bettys 01-15-2015 02:16 PM

With the Canadian dollar dropping, I'm surprised to see these companies, not trying to stick it out a little longer since their operating costs are going down.

Simplex123 01-15-2015 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Exc3L (Post 8581603)
Richmond centre staff is the worst!
Even the manager was unprofessional.
That being said, Sony North America is way behind, especially in Canada.
They have a lot of cool products in Europe in Asia, that we never get there.
Pricing is just not competitive.

Actually they have some high end audio systems, headphones, and walkmans that are only available at the Sony store.

G-spec 01-15-2015 02:22 PM

First and only interaction with Sony store was when I called the Metrotown one asking for something, (can't remember what) Anyway short story long, he tried to BS me about it, so I politely with a hint of snarkiness called him out on his BS... at which point he got fluttered and ended up threatening me with a bunch of hilarious off key limbo only immigrants could spew (I myself am an immigrant/refugee so no offense meant) but the exact words that stuck with me and had me rolling, were his last...

read(yell) the following in a fob asian accent for full effect
"Do you want to make enemies with me !!!"
in a coarse (obviously hilarious) Asian accent.... oh the fine poetic wordplay, teh delivery.... twas glorious I couldn't stop laughing

then his manager took (from the sounds of it, ripped) the phone from him and apologized to me offering his further assistance
but sad to see him go, dude sounds like an awesome co worker no lie, better to be entertained at work than bored to death

underscore 01-15-2015 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simplex123 (Post 8581624)
Actually they have some high end audio systems, headphones, and walkmans that are only available at the Sony store.

That sounds like a bit of a dumb idea when the market is flooded with such things. Only Sony fanboys would end up buying them.

The_AK 01-15-2015 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EmperorIS (Post 8581607)
Can't wait to go to a Sony store and laugh at their cocky unemployed faces

Have some decency.

Apart from that, they're in-store staff really wasn't all that helpful. I was debating between purchasing an Xbox One and PS4 since I was still on the fence. I went to a store and asked an associate what would some benefits be over a PS4 compared to an Xbox One since I was legitimately curious between the two. He didn't know.... :\

So I'm happy to say I'm a proud owner of an Xbox One. Customer experience is such an important aspect of retail.

Akinari 01-15-2015 03:16 PM

The thing about Sony Store employees is that they are under commission, whereas a lot of competing electronics retailers are no longer under commission, or were never under commission to begin with. The selling strategy and feel of the store is completely different when a store is commission-based.