REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 01-16-2015, 06:06 PM   #1
YOU CANT CUT BACK ON FUNDING! YOU WILL REGRET THIS

Thanked 3,092 Times in 1,038 Posts
ICBC Write-off, what is there that I can do?

Hello all,

I have to say i've never faced a write off before for the past 20 years in Canada... so now that my gf has totalled her car I'm a bit lost as to what my options are.

The car is a 2008 Matrix

Now, from what I understand from pictures of the crash, everything EXCEPT the front passenger quadrant of the vehicle is in perfect working order, no scratches or anything... That being said I foresaw a write-off because she said the front passenger door is buckled and won't open, indicating that the frame has been compacted, rear passenger door remains OK

She walked away from the crash... she is at fault.
She also would really like to keep the car. sentimental value above everything

TLDR Questions:
Can we reverse or have ICBC reconsider the total loss decision?
what steps can we take to increase the payoff if the decision is firm?

Thanks guys!

Also: know of anywhere with a good deal on a monthly rental?
Advertisement

Last edited by CP.AR; 01-16-2015 at 06:16 PM.
CP.AR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 06:16 PM   #2
I wish I was where I was when I wished I was here

Thanked 3,098 Times in 733 Posts
Post some ads on Craigslist and Kijiji with same year model and roughly same mileage for more than what you're expecting. And post in multiple areas (Washington State, Lower mainland, Central BC) Extreme long shot but worth a try since adjusters look for similar condition vehicles on sites like listed above

From what I understand you can tell your adjuster you would prefer to keep the vehicle if possible but if they say no you're SOL unless you salvage it.

Cadillac CTS (Current)
hchang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 06:17 PM   #3
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,192 Times in 481 Posts
I'm assuming you haven't searched.
There's some info on here about dealing with total losses and if you're having troubles than at least look at the one I started.

Where's the matrix right now? Private body shop? In Icbc's possession?
SSM_DC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 06:27 PM   #4
YOU CANT CUT BACK ON FUNDING! YOU WILL REGRET THIS

Thanked 3,092 Times in 1,038 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSM_DC5 View Post
I'm assuming you haven't searched.
There's some info on here about dealing with total losses and if you're having troubles than at least look at the one I started.

Where's the matrix right now? Private body shop? In Icbc's possession?
sorry, forgot the #1 rule as I'm in a bit of a... depressed state right now
it's at a private shop. apparently the quote is 900 dollars over ICBC's budget
Old 01-16-2015, 06:32 PM   #5
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 3,105 Times in 975 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amuro Ray View Post
sorry, forgot the #1 rule as I'm in a bit of a... depressed state right now
it's at a private shop. apparently the quote is 900 dollars over ICBC's budget
Ask your adjuster if you can pay the $900 out of your own pocket and have the car fixed. If I was in your shoes I would be happier writing the car off.
tegra7 is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-16-2015, 06:32 PM   #6
nma
#RVG

maybe you can agree to pay the $900 your self, if that $900 is worth it for you in "sentimental value"
nma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 06:45 PM   #7
I don't get it

She's at fault so her insurance will already be going up due to the other car/injuries. So since it is already going up this is what I would do:

First research into rebuilt status of cars, how to do so, steps needed, inspections etc.

1. Accept that it is a write off, get paid for the car value.
2. Before signing anything, tell your adjuster you would like to buy back the vehicle.
3. They will let you buy back at an insanely low rate (my buddy got his 98 accord for $150 with only fender damage)
4. The buy back amount will be deducted from how much you get paid for the car (you are responsible for paying the towing out if it is at icbc)
5. Get a private body shop to fix the damage
6. Get inspections done to approve the car for rebuild status($200-$500+ depending on damage and where)
7. Car now has rebuild title, worth less, but you have your sentimental value for it and you've been paid the cost of the vehicle to offset a portion or all of how much you need to spend on fixing the car and insurance rate increase for next 3 years as it was her fault.

Another option if you have the time/space and would be okay with letting the car go.
1. get paid for car because its a write off.
2. If the car is cheap enough to buy back, and you know you can get back more from the car by parting out than they are charging for the buyback + tow, buy back.
3. Part it out, make more money on top to ease insurance rate increases.
4. When done parting out, scrap the car or sell to junkyard.

Last edited by Tillerz; 01-16-2015 at 06:50 PM.
Tillerz is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-16-2015, 07:17 PM   #8
Head of HR....have a seat on that couch

Thanked 15,586 Times in 4,318 Posts
Her insurance may not be affected, depending on her CRS level.

IMO, let the car go and make some new memories.

Since you mentioned it, it is possible ICBC will still cover the $900 over their original estimate. There's no way of knowing the extent of the damage until the shop starts peeling back the layers.

Originally posted by v.b.
can we stop, my pussy hurts...
Originally posted by asian_XL
fliptuner, I am gonna grab ur dick and pee in your face, then rub shit all over my face...:lol
Originally posted by Fei-Ji
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Originally posted by FastAnna
when I was 13 I wanted to be a video hoe so bad

RSUV #7
fliptuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 08:15 PM   #9
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,305 Times in 2,513 Posts
Agree with Ice Boy -- let the car go and create some new memories. If the frame is damaged, the car won't survive the next crash nearly as well as this first one. Your girl's own safety is more important than the sentimental value the car represents.

Secondly, I'd argue that this is a perfect opportunity for your girl to -- for the lack of a better word -- grow up. If people don't know how or when to let go, they won't know how to become a more mature person. Whatever sentimental values the car represents, they do not reside in the car itself. Rather, they reside in her mind and her memories.

Last edited by Traum; 01-16-2015 at 09:05 PM.
Traum is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-16-2015, 08:51 PM   #10
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

would you drive a car with the frame that is bent and doesn't drive the same as before?
minor fender bender is ok but like a cracked egg shell, no matter how much you glue it back together, if you get in another collision again your life might be in danger

rather just get it written off and get another vehicle, but as mentioned find ads on craigslist/buy&sell to similar condition vehicle and maybe ask the adjuster for a bit more (reasonable amount) cuz you love the car

as for monthly rental, ask who the private body shop deals with, they probably get some sorta deal worked out

all the best with the insurance process
hirevtuner is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-16-2015, 10:06 PM   #11
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,926 Times in 3,878 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tillerz View Post
She's at fault so her insurance will already be going up due to the other car/injuries. So since it is already going up this is what I would do:

First research into rebuilt status of cars, how to do so, steps needed, inspections etc.

1. Accept that it is a write off, get paid for the car value.
2. Before signing anything, tell your adjuster you would like to buy back the vehicle.
3. They will let you buy back at an insanely low rate (my buddy got his 98 accord for $150 with only fender damage)
4. The buy back amount will be deducted from how much you get paid for the car (you are responsible for paying the towing out if it is at icbc)
5. Get a private body shop to fix the damage
6. Get inspections done to approve the car for rebuild status($200-$500+ depending on damage and where)
7. Car now has rebuild title, worth less, but you have your sentimental value for it and you've been paid the cost of the vehicle to offset a portion or all of how much you need to spend on fixing the car and insurance rate increase for next 3 years as it was her fault.

Another option if you have the time/space and would be okay with letting the car go.
1. get paid for car because its a write off.
2. If the car is cheap enough to buy back, and you know you can get back more from the car by parting out than they are charging for the buyback + tow, buy back.
3. Part it out, make more money on top to ease insurance rate increases.
4. When done parting out, scrap the car or sell to junkyard.
I'm pretty sure they changed the rules, IIRC now only approved shops can acquire written off vehicles and rebuild them.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 07:49 PM   #12
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Got any pics or description of her matrix? Colour?
marksport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 09:19 PM   #13
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 2,667 Times in 960 Posts
Rebuild it + 2JZ
multicartual is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-22-2015, 09:21 PM   #14
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Thanked 2,300 Times in 556 Posts
Quote:
She also would really like to keep the car. sentimental value above everything
Worst reason to keep a car. I've done it, kept cars past their due-date for sentimental reasons. It's a terrible, terrible idea.

Print a photo she loves that the car is still in, hang it on the wall and let them write it off.

-Dave
CCA-Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-22-2015, 09:29 PM   #15
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Hey man, not much to contribute here. But hope your gf is alright!
jjson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 12:46 AM   #16
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Thanked 1,399 Times in 396 Posts
Not to hijack your thread, but what happens when its write-off + not at fault.

Obviously most of us wouldn't just want into a dealership and buy a new car like people do with iPhones. Is there a way to claim rental car usage for the short term? few days? 1-2 weeks? Or is this only covered by those with Roadstar and loss of use?
v_tec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 01:59 PM   #17
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

You do get a free rental car when your not liable. It usually not long since ICBC only pays for the rental car until they decide to write your car off or send for repairs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by v_tec View Post
Not to hijack your thread, but what happens when its write-off + not at fault.

Obviously most of us wouldn't just want into a dealership and buy a new car like people do with iPhones. Is there a way to claim rental car usage for the short term? few days? 1-2 weeks? Or is this only covered by those with Roadstar and loss of use?
vantrip is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-28-2015, 02:09 PM   #18
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 3,899 Times in 1,380 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
I'm pretty sure they changed the rules, IIRC now only approved shops can acquire written off vehicles and rebuild them.
The latest I heard was only licenced motor dealers with a valid dealers licence can purchase salvage vehicles from Adesa Impact. This was put into effect recently to prevent shady body shops buying and fixing them with joe blow buddy guy mechanic passing inspections when they are no where near safe for the road. I have sold salvage cars through the auction channels but never purchased.

OP: just make sure ICBC gives you a fair value for the car(average retail asking prices on CL is fine). Take the money and buy something else.
white rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 02:17 PM   #19
Ask me about how I answered the question "How fat is TOO fat?"

Thanked 4,122 Times in 1,141 Posts
Biggest mistake people make with write-offs is keeping it due to sentimental value (unless it truly is a special car *ahem* e46 m3 *ahem* but at that point it varies on the damage too. She will lose substantially in the used market when it comes time to selling. I'd push for her to settle OP.

░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
Current
e92 335i 6MT FBO
e90 330i 6MT
Former
e46 330ci 5MT - RIP
uc1 5AT
em2 5MT
db7 5AT - RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyota86 View Post
the guys over at lambo vancouver said there are 60-70 pre-orders already. don't quote me though.
The_AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 02:32 PM   #20
nuggets mod

Thanked 3,799 Times in 981 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tillerz View Post
She's at fault so her insurance will already be going up due to the other car/injuries.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ICE BOY View Post
Her insurance may not be affected, depending on her CRS level.
Just to clarify, her insurance WILL be affected: She will move down the CRS scale.
Her discount may or may not be affected, depending on which level she ends up at.

My wife was in a minor accident, and she's at level 17. Even though her premiums will not increase, she will still drop on the scale. We still haven't decided if are going to pay out of pocket or not. Even though her premiums won't increase, there is still value in being higher on the scale (the drops could be used for more serious accidents)
Old 01-28-2015, 03:33 PM   #21
Head of HR....have a seat on that couch

Thanked 15,586 Times in 4,318 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freakshow View Post
Just to clarify, her insurance WILL be affected: She will move down the CRS scale.
Her discount may or may not be affected, depending on which level she ends up at.

My wife was in a minor accident, and she's at level 17. Even though her premiums will not increase, she will still drop on the scale. We still haven't decided if are going to pay out of pocket or not. Even though her premiums won't increase, there is still value in being higher on the scale (the drops could be used for more serious accidents)
Yes and no. I mean all that really matters is the bottom-line right?

In your wife's case, unless the damage is <$500 or so, she should just claim it. At -17, if she's at fault or it's a single vehicle accident, her CRS will still be at -14 and basic will still be at 43%. IF by some freak chance, she gets into another at fault accident right after, she'll drop to CRS -10, still a 43% discount. The only advantage to having a CRS of -15 or better is that you get better discounts on optional coverage BUT they're not even that much.

While we're on the subject, it's absolutely retarded that the CRS maxes out at -20. Theoretically, by the time someone's in their mid-thirties they could be at the maximum discount level. Conservatively, people will drive until they're 70. So a good/lucky driver goes 30+ years without a better discount.

Originally posted by v.b.
can we stop, my pussy hurts...
Originally posted by asian_XL
fliptuner, I am gonna grab ur dick and pee in your face, then rub shit all over my face...:lol
Originally posted by Fei-Ji
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Originally posted by FastAnna
when I was 13 I wanted to be a video hoe so bad

RSUV #7
fliptuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 11:12 PM   #22
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Thanked 1,399 Times in 396 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vantrip View Post
You do get a free rental car when your not liable. It usually not long since ICBC only pays for the rental car until they decide to write your car off or send for repairs.
What happens if you're not statisfy with the amount ICBC gives (which is a pretty normal occurrence).
But at the same time you obviously can't be an ass and take 3 months to give them a counter offer.

Or are you suppose to give the rental car back even when you're in the process of negotiating a settlement?
v_tec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 05:59 PM   #23
I don't get it

The way ICBC works with offers, is that they will:

1. Give you an offer based on condition, their book value, options, similar vehicle for sale prices (from what i've seen in documents, they refer to kijiji for most of their source vehicles)
2. You can then accept or decline offer.
3. They are obligated to give you a second offer (this can be higher or lower, based on a closer inspection of condition of interior/exterior/mechanical and options/other for sale vehicle price etc)
4. You can then accept of decline this offer.
5. After this, I am a bit grey on the process, but from what I recall from the paperwork, there wasn't anything stated that they need to give you a third offer. This process could now be taken to court where evidence will have to be given on both sides to why they think the car is to be valued at what you or icbc is stating.

Personally, its easier just to take their offer than dealing with the rest of the bs. After the first offer, try to get them to bump the price slightly and/or include the buy back of the vehicle in the price?

Remember that you can back track your insurance to the day of the accident if within 3 months i believe so you can get your insurance money back for the days its sitting insured at ICBC.

Lastly, be sure to submit documents on maintenence/modifications done to vehicle. This will increase payment of the car. Up to $5000 in aftermarket styling/body and performance parts. Up to $1000 in audio equipment that is bolted to the car, stereo unit, speakers, subs, etc. Must be bolted securely to car to qualify.
You may even get more money if you show things like it has a new alternator, battery, belts, etc. Depends on the adjuster, my friend got paid extra because it had a replaced OEM battery and alternator a few months before the write off.

EDIT:
Referring to my friend buying back the car, this was done in spring of 2014 and the inspections in summer of 2014 and he was able to do this. I am not sure if the policy has changed. But, OP, if the car is damaged badly don't deal with the headache of doing this, just part out or don't even buy back.
Tillerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 11:35 PM   #24
I don't get it

I had a write off last year. I didn't keep the car so this is what I did,

1. Once I knew my car was a write off, I pulled out from my files of aftermarket parts and service records. I faxed over their phone number tons of recent services or modifications done to the car. This will increase your total loss payment.

2. Waited for the total loss handler to phone me back on their book value evaluation.

3. I said it was an acceptable amount and issued a cheque to my closest ICBC center within two days.
a00755836 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 11:44 PM   #25
...in the world.

Thanked 7,636 Times in 2,321 Posts
Tell her to rip a part off the car and let it go. I took the badges off my Mazda 3 at the ICBC scrap yard.
Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote