REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 01-19-2015, 12:04 AM   #1
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

What kind of tires do you guys use for your daily driver performance cars?

Car: 2015 mustang gt
Me: Know dick all about tires/wheels...be patient please.

Been reading lots of articles on tire rack. Wound up on this page: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/types/tiretype.jsp

I'll be using the gt as a daily driver, but have an SUV in the 1-2 days it actually snows in vancouver. So I guess I need tires for rain & dry.

Car is my first real sporty car, I probably won't be taking it to the track or counting my 0-60 everyday. But I do want a good balance of cost to performance.

Can't think of better people to ask than vancouver people.

1) Do you guys think I need just summer tires then? Or do summer tires not offer a noticeable performance increase over all seasons.

2) extreme performance? just "ultra high".

3)I think I'll do square setup so I can rotate tires better since it's my daily driver?

4) Any good brands to start looking into? Any brands to avoid like the plague?

5) Is there a link that shows 0-60 times of the same car with different tires? All seasons, summers, etc? Only link I found is this: http://www.edmunds.com/car-reviews/f...vs-summer.html. Seems to show no 0-60 difference between summer and all season, but slightly better braking and handling for the summers. That sound about right?

6) Tires it comes with: [Standard]: 18 x 8.0-in. Eagle F1 Asymmetric All-Season - should I sell these right away?
Advertisement

Last edited by clevernickname; 01-19-2015 at 12:17 AM.
clevernickname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 12:17 AM   #2
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

Michelin super pilot sport. Best daily performance tire hands down. You'll pay for the privilege though. These tires are really good, you can even track with them. Lots of grip and good wet traction too.
bomiheko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 12:54 AM   #3
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 14,760 Times in 3,870 Posts
So are you tracking the car? Eagle f1's are horrible in cold weather (I have them on now) and provide plenty of warm weather grip. No need for anything stickier driving to and from work

Edit: it's a 2015 as well, so you still have a good two years at least before you need to worry about new tires anyways
Old 01-19-2015, 01:05 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 320icar View Post
So are you tracking the car? Eagle f1's are horrible in cold weather (I have them on now) and provide plenty of warm weather grip. No need for anything stickier driving to and from work

Edit: it's a 2015 as well, so you still have a good two years at least before you need to worry about new tires anyways
"I probably won't be taking it to the track or counting my 0-60 everyday"

So just keep my all seasons? No need to upgrade to summers?
Old 01-19-2015, 01:08 AM   #5

Eagle f1's are NOT all seasons, they are summer only with 240 treadwear (Michelin pilot sports which are good tired have a 500+ treadwear rating, though the ratings are not interchangeable)
Old 01-19-2015, 01:11 AM   #6

Sorry, what do you mean they're not all seasons? It says it in the description and everything: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....ric+All-Season

whats a treadwear rating lol..
Old 01-19-2015, 01:36 AM   #7
Marcosexual Fan Club, CEO

There are no such thing as performance all seasons.
Old 01-19-2015, 01:40 AM   #8

I don't get it... so good year is lying? Or is everyone saying even though it tries to be all seasons, they lean more towards a summer tire than an all season tire.
Old 01-19-2015, 02:15 AM   #9

I have eagle f1's, they come standard on my focus st. They are definitely summer only tires, or at best "3 season tires" lol. Really the only upgrade from these would be things like a toyo re-11, Michelin super sport, r888, nitto nt-03 or whatever. From a heavy car like the stang on everyday driving, you really won't notice a difference spending $1500 on new tires. I mean you will, but you will notice more performance improvement spending that $1500 on an intake and a tune
Old 01-19-2015, 02:21 AM   #10
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 7,449 Times in 1,438 Posts
You should keep the Eagle F1 Asymmetric All-Season.

They have good tread wear and performance.
asian_XL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 02:42 AM   #11

Perfect. Thanks guys. I guess it would be more economical then to get 18s for some aftermarket wheels?
Old 01-19-2015, 03:34 AM   #12
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

My DD has Michelin Pilot Super Sports and I couldnt be happier with them. The wet performance is very good and the dry performance is outstanding. They also wear very nicely too.

My other DD has Nitto NT555R and they are terrible.... not the best DD tire tbh...

Its probably my fault.
rriggi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 05:16 AM   #13
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 7,109 Times in 1,264 Posts
Continue DW, almost* as brilliant as Michelin Pilot Sports but half the price.

You will find other tires that offer similar grip in the dry, but they work very well in the wet and make very little noise.
jasonturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 06:56 AM   #14
Witness protection

Thanked 5,343 Times in 2,222 Posts
i am running continental extreme contacts on my mustang that were takeoffs from a 270z (thanks DHP!). i would have going with michelin pilots but these were much cheaper at the time. really happy with them.

currently on pirelli sottozeros for winter... a/s tires in bad weather is a death wish on a mustang
"The guy in the CR-V meanwhile, he'll give you a haughty glare. He's responsibly trying to lessen his impact, but there you go lumbering past him with your loud V8, flouting the new reality. You may as well go do some donuts in a strawberry patch and slalom through a litter of kittens." Dan Frio, Automotive Editor, Edmunds
thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 08:00 AM   #15
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 4,905 Times in 1,655 Posts
BFG Sport comp-2's. Once they're scrubbed in they grip extremely well in the dry, and i've driven 'em in horrible rain storms with an insane amount of standing water and they didn't hydroplane even once. Not to mention they're 1/2 the price of the PSS!

2021 Mustang GT PP1 6MT
dared3vil0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 08:00 AM   #16
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

Fyi Continental Extreme Contacts have 2 versions, DW and DWS. They stand for Dry Wet Snow. I have the DWS tires on my fwd Ralliart and they work great even in all conditions encountered in Vancouver
jcmaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 08:18 AM   #17
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 4,525 Times in 1,357 Posts
BF Goodrich G-Force Super Sport A/S

The best all season tire ever from what I have tried so far.
The only complaint is increased rolling resistance from soft compound and some road noise.
But performance wise, it's very good, dry, rain, even snow it was good for an all-season tire.
Timpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 08:30 AM   #18
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 4,905 Times in 1,655 Posts
Timpo what car were they on?

2021 Mustang GT PP1 6MT
dared3vil0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 08:54 AM   #19
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 7,759 Times in 2,313 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dared3vil0 View Post
Timpo what car were they on?
The cardboard GTR he made for himself in his living room...

Barney Fucking Purple FX35
Brianna - 2008 FX35 - Build Thread
meme405 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-19-2015, 09:22 AM   #20
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Thanked 2,300 Times in 556 Posts
Since you've stated you know zero about tires, and are getting confused by some of the answers about all-seasons, I'm going to make this a very generic post which should help you to understand a few very important things about tires:

Tires are the most important part of your vehicle
Ultimately, the only thing between you and ground are four small patches of rubber. You cannot accelerate without tires having good contact with the ground, you cannot steer without having good contact with the ground. Most importantly, you cannot brake without having good contact with the ground. The whole discussion about "what tire should I choose", ultimately comes down to how well you want to do those three. Simply upgrading a vehicles tires to something ideally suited for the conditions can make as much or more of a difference then a big-brake-upgrade kit. Most people don't get that the tires are as important as they are, and see them just as an annoying expensive wear item. Which is how we ended up with All-Season tires.

There is no such thing as All Season Tires
If you own a piano moving company, have four kids and like to go to track days on the weekend...there is no one "ideal vehicle" for you. Any single vehicle choice you will choose has compromises. The design of "the best tire" for summer is vastly different from one for winter. Fall and Spring require their own unique attributes as well. BUT, people are cheap. We don't want to change our tires four times a year so tires are designed with some compromises built in. A "Summer" tire is designed for both sunny and rainy days, even though having a dry-weather and wet-weather tire would provide better performance. The All-Season tire is much like my vehicle choice at the beginning of this section. An all season tire technically can be used year round, but it is not very good at anything. The newer "three-season" tires (everything but winter) are a little better in, you guessed it, everything but winter...but still suck in any given season.

It's all about temperature
The summer tires I use on the rallybug come with a warning label that they aren't to be used below 10deg celsius, as the rubber becomes too hard. Even more interesting is that the label says not to store them below 10C because the rubber compound breaks down in the cold weather. It's 15deg in my garage right now, and the tires are as hard as rocks. In the summer, I can lightly press a dime against the tread and it will stick. What people fail to understand is that the all-season, and especially "performance all season" tires they bought become harder in colder weather. You will lose traction as the temperature drops below about 10deg, and especially below zero. Probably fine for normal driving, but a whole lot of not-fun when you need to emergency brake in the rain. Suddenly the braking distance you thought you needed has gone up by 50%.

Advice
In our climate, everyone should have a set of summer tires and a set of winter tires. Swapped in-around mid-October with the rains and out in April (as a very rough guide). The specific summer tire should be chosen to the type of driving, performance capabilities and lifespan the owner is looking for. The specific winter tire should be chosen for the temperature and how much snow the vehicle is expected to see. If people actually followed this advice, you'd see a lot less accidents. Especially on routes like the Sea-to-Sky when it's raining (but not snowing).

Where you go from there, is really a matter of asking people what they like...and, quite frankly, experimenting until you find tires you like and don't like.

-Dave
CCA-Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 09:30 AM   #21
Media Officer / MOD

Thanked 5,751 Times in 1,724 Posts
^ Dave summarized it up.

Get a set of Summer tires and then winters for the winters. All season tires aren't really all season it can deal with a little powder but under 7 degrees (i think it was) it looses grip.
Quick link to personal reviews -> Website YouTube
Official Revscene Instagram Coordinator
!Aznboi128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 09:36 AM   #22
I don't get it

+1 to Michelin PSS.

I've also heard great things about Bridgeston Potenza S-04's. *almost comparable to PSS, but slightly cheaper
xjc11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 10:34 AM   #23
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,169 Times in 7,158 Posts
If you want something year round, which IMO is never the best idea, the conti DWS are the best all seasons I've heard. If you are willing to swap summers and winters (which you should if you drive all year round) I'd suggest michelin PSS for summers. Great in the wet and dry, and will last you a decent amount of time. Yeah they are pricey, but so is your brand new car. Tires are IMPORTANT and if there is one thing you should be willing to splurge on a bit I believe its tires. They are what dictates literally every aspect of your cars performance.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-19-2015, 10:36 AM   #24
Witness protection

Thanked 5,343 Times in 2,222 Posts
the only grief i have with the DWS is that the sidewalls are on the soft side and dosen't have a wheel lip protector (or whatever you call it) molded in.
"The guy in the CR-V meanwhile, he'll give you a haughty glare. He's responsibly trying to lessen his impact, but there you go lumbering past him with your loud V8, flouting the new reality. You may as well go do some donuts in a strawberry patch and slalom through a litter of kittens." Dan Frio, Automotive Editor, Edmunds
thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 11:04 AM   #25
It's like going crazy when you're already nuts

Thanked 2,904 Times in 751 Posts
595 RSR's on the summer daily. DWS on the year round daily.