REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 01-19-2015, 07:25 PM   #1
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Can't make ends meet with $25000 a month?

Is this for real?

Vancouver couple struggles to make ends meet on only $25,000 a month | canada.com

Quote:
Vancouver couple struggles to make ends meet on only $25,000 a month
Shed a tear for Eric and Ilsa, the one-percenters who can't catch a break
This destitute doctor has so little money he\'s turned his pockets inside out. How will he find cash for coffee on those rare days he heads to work?
This destitute doctor has so little money he's turned his pockets inside out. How will he find cash for coffee on those rare days he heads to work? Photo: Fotolia
Share on email 286
Ishmael N. Daro
Published: January 18, 2015, 7:30 am
Updated: 6 hours ago
A A A

Meet Eric and Ilsa.

Eric, 41, is a physician who works one day a week in a medical clinic, for which he earns $200,000 a year. He works one additional day at a university, for which he makes another measly $100,000 annually.

Ilsa, 39, is a dentist currently on maternity leave who will bring in another $150,000 when she returns to work.

And yet, despite their seeming prosperity, this Vancouver couple can’t make ends meet. What’s to be done?!

The doctor and dentist wrote in to the Globe and Mail recently and their story was featured in Friday’s “financial facelift” advice column, in which experts weigh in on how regular folks can balance their budgets.

According to the Globe:

They are living rent free in a relative’s house (they pay taxes, utilities and upkeep) and “regret not having bought a house years ago,” Eric writes in an e-mail. Houses in their Vancouver neighbourhood have doubled in price in the past two years. The house where they live is going up for sale soon, so they need to move quickly.

Last fall, they bought a building lot for $1.1-million and are planning to build a house large enough for their family and a live-in nanny. But with a combined income of $360,000 ($450,000 when Ilsa returns to work) and an $800,000 mortgage, can they afford the builder’s $1-million price tag? Who will lend them the money?

That is quite a pickle, but in addition to long-term problems around securing enough money to build their Versailles, Eric and Ilsa also have more immediate problems. They seem to be about $6,000 in the red each month, on a net income of $25,000. And despite this alarming deficit, they still plan to send all their children to private schools at a cost of $5,400 a month, just one of their many expenses.

Monthly disbursements: Mortgage $3,800; property tax (both properties) $1,000; utilities $490; insurance $90; maintenance, garden $190; transportation $800; groceries $2,000; clothing $520; children’s activities $1,000; tuition $5,400; summer camp $600; child care $2,800; gifts, charitable $320; vacation, travel $2,000; dining, entertainment $200; sports, hobbies $200; miscellaneous (furniture, toys) $400; health insurance $50; cellphones $220; telecom, Internet $80; RRSP $3,000; professional associations $6,000. Total: $31,160

“Two professionals should be able to afford a modest house, but we can’t get the numbers to work and would appreciate some help,” Eric wrote to the Globe.

To solve their money woes, the newspaper’s expert financial planner, Warren MacKenzie of HighView Financial Group, offers some rather unorthodox advice: namely, Eric working a second day at the clinic, which would boost household income to $500,000 a year and solve all the family’s problems.

Other ideas might also have included working three or even four days a week, not sending the kids to snooty private schools, not sending the kids to snooty summer camps (every month of the year, apparently?), spending less than $4,000 a month on groceries and vacations, or maybe not building a million-dollar mansion before you’ve mastered basic addition.

How Eric and Ilsa didn’t manage to reach any of those same solutions remains a mystery. Then again, nobody said Globe readers had to be particularly bright. They just have to make more than $100,000 a year, so at least Canada’s paper of record is reaching its target demographic.

UPDATE: The Globe added a correction Monday that only makes this couple’s finances more confusing. We are now told their memberships in professional associations only cost $6,000 annually, not monthly, which significantly alters their financial picture. The doctor also says he works “more than 100 hours a week” at both jobs, which would only leave the poor man another 68 hours to eat, sleep, transport himself between jobs, and hug his children. And yet, the Globe’s financial advice remains the same: work more.

UPDATE II: The Globe corrected its correction. Eric now works “up to 80 hours a week,” apparently.
Read more Articles from Ishmael N. Daro
Advertisement
extracrunchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 07:30 PM   #2
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 7,759 Times in 2,313 Posts
Lol I read that article today. I'm honestly surprised the globe and mail ran such crap. News must be slow.

$2000 a month on vacation funds
5 kids in private school.

I assumed smart people were the ones making $25,000 a month. apparently I was wrong, even stupid people can get lucky I guess.

Barney Fucking Purple FX35
Brianna - 2008 FX35 - Build Thread
meme405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 07:35 PM   #3
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 1,323 Times in 579 Posts
Reading this kind of shit makes go WTF. How is this even "news"....$350K combined income isn't enough
Euro7r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 07:38 PM   #4
MiX iT Up!

Thanked 2,066 Times in 865 Posts
For anyone that's NOT read the Globe / National Post, they run a review of your financial situation/retirement plan in a "help me" column. People write and the "pro's" help out. So it's not that news was slow, the editors of that column just happened to pick these people. And most of the people they pick have very high net incomes based on their previous columns.

Don't bash the newspaper for selecting their "help me" request.

actual article from the globe's personal finance section - http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe...ticle22496585/

Here is another example from G & M - http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe...ticle17721517/

Note that it's not in the "NEWS" section...

Sensationalism at it's finest..

Sometimes we tend to be in despair when the person we love leaves us, but the truth is, it's not our loss, but theirs, for they left the only person who couldn't give up on them.

Make the effort and take the risk..

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't." - Eleanor Roosevelt

Last edited by tiger_handheld; 01-19-2015 at 07:49 PM.
tiger_handheld is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-19-2015, 07:43 PM   #5
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 3,814 Times in 957 Posts
LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL
flagella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 07:46 PM   #6
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,478 Times in 1,679 Posts
This couple should be called the "350K ballers" with their crazy spending habits:

Old 01-19-2015, 07:48 PM   #7
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 4,450 Times in 1,027 Posts
I totally need a lavish vacation that costs me $2000 a month

'93 GSR

'99 EXPEDITION
SpeedStars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 08:15 PM   #8
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 4,062 Times in 1,249 Posts

invest early in condoms yo

Quote:
MG1: in fact, a new term needs to make its way into the American dictionary. Trump............ he's such a "Trump" = ultimate insult. Like, "yray, you're such a trump."
bcrdukes yray fucked bcrdukes up the nose

dapperfied yraisis
dapperfied yray so waisis

FastAnna you literally talk out your ass
FastAnna i really cant
FastAnna yray i cant stand you
yray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 08:19 PM   #9
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 7,759 Times in 2,313 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger_handheld View Post
Don't bash the newspaper for selecting their "help me" request.
True, I shouldn't have said news is slow, but they certainly could have picked a less retarded ask for help. Cause the one they ran almost looks like a horrible joke.

I mean you really can't feel too bad for the people who are putting away 36k a year for RRSP, spending 24k a year on vacation, and still managing to only work 2 days a week...

Barney Fucking Purple FX35
Brianna - 2008 FX35 - Build Thread
meme405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 08:41 PM   #10
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
Wont lie... I first saw this on Facebook. I had to take a second look to make sure it wasn't a link to a bad The Onion knock-off website.
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-19-2015, 08:50 PM   #11
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
I make way less yet I live just fine. Sure I won't be sending my kids to private house(if I do have any), sure I won't need to save $2k each month for vacation or build a 1million house but my life is pretty a lot happier than these ppl. I have my parents, my sister and my gf a roof over my head, decent food and warm clothes.
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-19-2015, 08:53 PM   #12
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,785 Times in 3,891 Posts
Quote:
They are living rent free in a relative’s house (they pay taxes, utilities and upkeep)
a physician and dentist living rent free?

dude includes RRSP contributions...and apparently sends his kids to summer camp each month.
He works 2 days a week (1 day in the clinic 1 day teaching) yet he says it works out to 80 hours/week
let's say he sees 30 patients in one day, all the charting in the world still wouldn't amount to 80 a week

twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-19-2015, 09:04 PM   #13
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Im betting the numbers are heavily skewed...or the entire story is fake...its does its job to outrage you, and get your facebook shares. how does a doctor working one day a week in a clinic make 200,000/year? thats ~4000 in a day...he must be doing botox and upselling some fancy face cream.
ajei is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-19-2015, 09:44 PM   #14
Need to Seek Professional Help

Only reasonable cost there was the telecom/Internet at 80 a month
RS_Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 10:13 PM   #15
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

it seems fake or someone wrote this as a joke and the paper actually believed them. You can't make 200K a year working one day per week as a physician. No way. Then suddenly saying he works 80 hrs per week. lol
Old 01-20-2015, 12:25 AM   #16
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 7,438 Times in 1,436 Posts
smell like the troll who posted that he is living off his gf and claimed he is 6ft tall lol
asian_XL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 12:30 AM   #17
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 3,842 Times in 879 Posts
I have this exact problem. I am very thankful they picked up the story to give attention to this matter.
EmperorIS is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-20-2015, 01:03 AM   #18
I keep RS good

Thanked 5,538 Times in 1,502 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RS_Pat View Post
Only reasonable cost there was the telecom/Internet at 80 a month
no, actually that's still a rip off.
Ulic Qel-Droma is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-20-2015, 02:44 AM   #19
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,777 Times in 8,170 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by meme405 View Post
I assumed smart people were the ones making $25,000 a month. apparently I was wrong, even stupid people can get lucky I guess.
If there's one thing I've learned in the last 8 years, it's this.
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-20-2015, 07:58 AM   #20
rb
Network Admin Team

Thanked 1,532 Times in 534 Posts
Better call Gail

rb is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-20-2015, 08:18 AM   #21
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 7,151 Times in 2,395 Posts
What I thought of when I saw the story and the comments

2010 Toyota Rav4 Limited V6 - Wifey's Daily Driver
2009 BMW 128i - Daily Driver
2007 Toyota Rav4 Sport V6 - Sold
1999 Mazda Miata - Sold
2003 Mazda Protege5 - Sold
1987 BMW 325is - Sold
1990 Mazda Miata - Sold

100% Buy and Sell Feedback
sonick is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-20-2015, 08:24 AM   #22
RS controls my life!

Thanked 1,245 Times in 274 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonick View Post
What I thought of when I saw the story and the comments

anus*
Originally Posted by SkunkWorks View Post
I believe cars are meant to be driven. I see zero point in having a beautiful car and never driving it. Might as well have Miranda Kerr in your bed and sleeping on the ground cause you don't want to fudge her mascara...

We go through our entire lives being told what to do every step of the way. The garage was always the one place where you could indulge in your own passion, with not a care for the outside world.
Godzira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 08:25 AM   #23
nuggets mod

Thanked 3,782 Times in 977 Posts
I was sure this was satire..
Old 01-20-2015, 08:44 AM   #24
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,046 Times in 1,176 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchyzero View Post
dude includes RRSP contributions...and apparently sends his kids to summer camp each month.
He works 2 days a week (1 day in the clinic 1 day teaching) yet he says it works out to 80 hours/week
let's say he sees 30 patients in one day, all the charting in the world still wouldn't amount to 80 a week
Yeah something doesn't add up. I hate poorly written articles!
Honest to fucking Christ the easiest way to get a married woman in the mood is clean the house and do the laundry.....I've been with the same girl almost 17 years, ask me how I know. - quasi
Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-20-2015, 09:10 AM   #25
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,232 Times in 2,483 Posts
I think G&M ran some updates to say that the Dr. dude actually works 3 days a week at his doctor job, in addition to an extra day of teaching. Additionally, G&M also seemed to have ran a few updates on other minor stuff as well.

But as I have mentioned elsewhere, the first thing the couple needs to do to save themselves from financial ruins is to start using some goddamn birth control, and I don't just mean this as mockery (although that is certainly part of it). Kids are just so incredibly expensive every step along the way. To start things off, the mother will easily lose 3 - 6 months of salary, if not more, due to the pregnancy. And then you have the costs of raising the kid.
Traum is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: