REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 01-20-2015, 06:44 PM   #26
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,816 Times in 8,190 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundy View Post
Just to be clear: the meltdown itself is hardly a "top story" by any new outlet's standards. The fact that it blew up all over social media is what MAKES it a "top story".

Something of a chicken-and-egg situation, but BLAMING "the media" for it is misguided at best.

And yeah, I've had those days too... that's not the story, though. A grown woman behaving like a four-year-old throwing a tantrum is the whole point.

Edit:

That's 406,000 views and almost 5,000 shares as of the time this article was posted early this afternoon... in barely 24 hours... BEFORE "the evil poison media" started talking about it.
Did you watch the CTV coverage? That wasn't the story. They had 3 or 4 news anchors literally laughing at this woman for having a mental breakdown. The viral aspect was only mentioned in passing. I expect this kind of coverage on some shitty cable news show that caters to a certain audience, but not a network news broadcast. It was disgusting.
Advertisement
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-20-2015, 07:20 PM   #27
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,751 Times in 1,182 Posts
I feel bad for the woman.

I mean, she probably had something important for the trip.

It happened to me once. And I ended up just buying a ticket (very expensive) for YYJ-YVR and landed in YVR before the ferry. So I could totally reason the frustration.
Old 01-20-2015, 07:54 PM   #28
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Unfortunately it happens. I use the ferry weekly. There was one incident where the ferry cancelled due to the horrible weather I needed to get back to victoria or I will go to jail due to the importance of my job. I called every airline, helijet, travel business to find a way back, and I ended up finding one. Don't get me wrong, I hate the ferry a lot, but crying won't help at all.
Old 01-20-2015, 07:55 PM   #29
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,341 Times in 557 Posts
would we be feeling bad for her if it was a mainlander woman screaming in mandarin?

I think this public shaming is justified, teaches everyone how not to behave in public

it's not like CTV's encouraging a witch hunt of this woman, nothings getting hurt except her ego and probably social life. well deserved imo. not like it'll be permanent anyway, in a year's time nobody will remember
PiuYi is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 01-20-2015, 08:03 PM   #30
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 2,667 Times in 960 Posts
If a woman exploding in public and being laughed at by the cameraman is what my publicly -funded NEWS channel determines is a "Must See", then I'm sad and very disappointed to be a part of this system.
multicartual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 09:13 PM   #31
Returner of Lost Phones and Turtles

Thanked 3,997 Times in 963 Posts
People dont react like that for no reason, something must have happened or catching that ferry must have been crucial for whatever reason. People have no clue what the real story is and its not like the woman hurt anyone.

I bought my car from Nanaimo, went to the terminal early in the morning and it got delayed for whatever reason. After it finally set sail and we arrived at the dealer we did a 10 minute test drive then someone else showed up with cash in hand ready to buy it. By a margin of 10 minutes i almost lost my car because of the stupid and expensive ferry. I probably wouldve thrown a fit somewhere too LOL

Granted the woman was late to board so its partially her fault but who knows what happened before that or what she missed by missing that ferry.

21' 718 Cayman GTS 4.0
23' VW MK8 GTI 40th Anniversary
18' Tesla Model 3 LR RWD
21' Ducati Streetfighter V4 S

--
16' Mineral Grey F80 BMW M3 6MT SOLD -11/22
22' Halo Toyota GR86 6MT SOLD -11/22
12' Phantom Black - B8 Audi S4 - SOLD 04/19
07' WDP Acura TL Type-S - A-Spec/ATLP/H&R - SOLD 12/17
18' Matte Silver Ice - Triumph 765 Street Triple RS - SOLD 4/21
LP700-4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 10:54 PM   #32
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,165 Times in 7,156 Posts
She really didn't hurt anyone, so there is no reason for her to be publicly shamed. Maybe her husband left her that day, maybe she found out her kid was sick, maybe her dog died. People have bad days, and sometimes a small thing is what puts you over the edge. If she wound up and punched the ticket sales person, then we'd have a problem, but she didn't affect anyone really other than herself.
All modern Canadian news outlets have just become shitty clickbait articles that are made to rile people up in the most extreme ways possible with the least effort involved. People react, then they try and duplicate those stories by manipulating details without being as blatant as the tabloid joke media outlets.
How many more times are we going to see the same meaningless shit in the news articles while actual issues in this country are ignored? Fuck irresponsible media. Fuck them in their fucking faces. They are making our population dumber with all their sensationalism of bullshit, misleading statistics and exaggeration of events.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-20-2015, 11:07 PM   #33
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 4,525 Times in 1,357 Posts
I wonder what made her go crazy like that? There must have been something important...I also wonder if her friends, family and coworkers have seen this video...most importantly, herself.
Timpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 11:08 PM   #34
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 4,525 Times in 1,357 Posts
If she didn't have any reasonable reason, then...

Timpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 11:53 PM   #35
Need to Seek Professional Help

Thanked 1,820 Times in 501 Posts
Exactly as others have said above, this article just shows how Canadian news media has effectively turned into tabloid news that will post anything - regardless of how "newsworthy" it is - in order to get page views, "retweets", and "likes". It's just all a sham.

I personally don't see the issue here, we've all been in situations where we are late, stuck in traffic, delayed for something super important and all we want to do is exercise our primal instinct to scream in rage.

Why shame someone publicly just because they happened to be recorded? You, or I, or these news "reporters" don't know the context. Hell, just the other day I was screaming in my car after hitting every single light on St. Johns street on my way to a booty call. It's normal to get upset, especially over stuff that actually matters in life. Don't get me wrong, if this woman was some Yaletown yuppie throwing a tantrum because their latte was 2% instead of Skim, I'd be laughing too. But transportation is important... what if she was picking up her kid? Late for an important interview? Booty call? Etc...
Tone Loc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 12:01 AM   #36
I wish I was where I was when I wished I was here

Thanked 3,098 Times in 733 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GS8 View Post
I'm not an expert on behaviour but it sounds like she was already having a bad day and this was her breaking point.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Great68 View Post
That woman's straight up crazy, she was clearly late.
Quote:
Originally Posted by quasi View Post
She's nucking futz, who does that? My 8 year old wouldn't even attempt that, what a child.
I don't know if anybody else has realized this but all women are fucking crazy

Cadillac CTS (Current)
hchang is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 01-21-2015, 06:02 AM   #37
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,324 Times in 5,641 Posts
If her trip was that important to her maybe she should have been there ahead of time?
Old 01-21-2015, 07:37 AM   #38
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,454 Times in 813 Posts
I can see the point everyone has for "feeling bad that the News is publicly shaming her" but really? You're three minutes late, reason or not you're still late. Then you decide to throw a tantrum like a child because you didn't decide to get there early.

My biggest pet peeve, is when people are late. Nobody gives a shit if they waste your time, because their time is more important. Figure out your life, think ahead, and OMG... maybe get there early and read a book or something.

I don't feel bad for her, like Hondaracer said, if it's that important, get there early. Make it a priority.
[17-03, 09:23] Amuro Ray is it normal for my dick to have things growing on it?
Quote:
[15-05, 13:34] FastAnna You guise are like diet coke and I am the mentos
[15-05, 13:34] FastAnna Incredible. How easy it is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by murd0c View Post
I'm scared of spiders... When I see one I toss my cats at it
melloman is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 01-21-2015, 08:22 AM   #39

I agree, she wasn't in the right, and she acted like an idiot. But now she is being publicly bullied and shamed by national news outlets. That's what's fucking pathetic here.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Quote:
This post thanked by:
Old 01-21-2015, 09:13 AM   #40
RS controls my life!

Thanked 1,245 Times in 274 Posts
There's no reason for anyone to act that way in any circumstance. We all have our bad days and our shit piled up to the point of breaking. If you handle it like a 4 year old by throwing a temper tantrum and scaring the people around you, you really need to find some help. I agree the way the media handled it is a little insensitive, but come on.
Originally Posted by SkunkWorks View Post
I believe cars are meant to be driven. I see zero point in having a beautiful car and never driving it. Might as well have Miranda Kerr in your bed and sleeping on the ground cause you don't want to fudge her mascara...

We go through our entire lives being told what to do every step of the way. The garage was always the one place where you could indulge in your own passion, with not a care for the outside world.
Godzira is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-21-2015, 09:16 AM   #41

I probably sound like that every time I drive through richmond.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Quote:
This post thanked by:
Old 01-21-2015, 09:19 AM   #42
In RS I Trust

Thanked 17,581 Times in 4,297 Posts
I don't understand the people that feel sorry for this women... Like any normal person if it was this important she should of arrived on time. What did she think would happen, the Ferry would turn around and come back and get her? The people I feel sorry for here are the people who have to deal with this on a daily basis and her family/parents.
murd0c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 09:22 AM   #43
RS controls my life!

Thanked 1,245 Times in 274 Posts
exactly^^
Originally Posted by SkunkWorks View Post
I believe cars are meant to be driven. I see zero point in having a beautiful car and never driving it. Might as well have Miranda Kerr in your bed and sleeping on the ground cause you don't want to fudge her mascara...

We go through our entire lives being told what to do every step of the way. The garage was always the one place where you could indulge in your own passion, with not a care for the outside world.
Godzira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 01:25 PM   #44
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 3,899 Times in 1,380 Posts
How about if you don't want to appear on the shitty tabloid news and be mocked by society why don't you NOT HAVE A FUCKING TEMPER TANTRUM IN PUBLIC YOU CRAZY FUCKING BITCH!?

Don't blame us for turning our heads and clicking "record" on our phones to gain some proof of this insanity. Also, don't blame the media for running a story that entertains while also being true. No one should be acting that way anywhere, at any point in their lives.

Media 1, Crazy Bitch 0
white rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-21-2015, 01:55 PM   #45
what manner of phaggotry is this

Thanked 5,473 Times in 1,814 Posts
Feeling sorry for her is one step below encouraging this behavior. People who act like this in public SHOULD be embarrassed of themselves. Acting like that in public, as an adult, is absolutely inexcusable for any reason. The word does not revolve around you, and you do not deserve to put other people out for your special treatment. And you do not get to throw a tantrum when you don't get your way.

I do agree tho, that this kind of shit doesn't belong on the NEWS. It is tabloid/gossip level junk, and if its on the mainstream news, it shouldn't be much more than a mention in a 5 minute "did you see that?" segment.

That being said, how many of you watched it? You cannot chastise the media for showing something, if you're encouraging them by watching it.
Old 01-21-2015, 02:45 PM   #46

Thanked 4,799 Times in 1,763 Posts
There no question that people should not behave like this in public.

10 years ago the "public" would have been:
- BC Ferries cashier
- The other two or three people in the terminal lobby

The whole thing would have been forgotten the next day.

Now, the "public" is 500,000 people around the world because some dude hit record on his phone and uploaded it to youtube, where it's talked about for days and will live on for years to come.

I feel bad for her in that sense.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-21-2015, 03:09 PM   #47
what manner of phaggotry is this

Thanked 5,473 Times in 1,814 Posts
So, you could say that 10 years ago people could get away with socially unacceptable behavior, but now they can be held accountable?
Old 01-21-2015, 03:40 PM   #48

You could also say that the same media that runs hundreds of stories per year and wears pink fucking shirts because they are so against "cyber bullying" are now partaking in it shamelessly themselves. That's the only part that makes me angry. Anyone who sees it can see it and say what they like, but to be part of the distribution of it at a professional level crosses the line. I don't think many people in this thread sympathize with the woman for being ostracized for her actions, however it should be on a much smaller and less serious scale.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Quote:

Last edited by westopher; 01-21-2015 at 04:01 PM.
This post thanked by:
Old 01-21-2015, 05:01 PM   #49

Thanked 4,799 Times in 1,763 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
You could also say that the same media that runs hundreds of stories per year and wears pink fucking shirts because they are so against "cyber bullying" are now partaking in it shamelessly themselves. That's the only part that makes me angry. Anyone who sees it can see it and say what they like, but to be part of the distribution of it at a professional level crosses the line. I don't think many people in this thread sympathize with the woman for being ostracized for her actions, however it should be on a much smaller and less serious scale.
This is just it.

There are murderers, rapists etc out there that got less public and media attention than this woman.

All she did was throw a temper tantrum.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 05:05 PM   #50
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
One of the biggest reasons why I got out of the media industry years ago.
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote