REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Vacations and World Travel

Vacations and World Travel Visiting our beautiful city? Come stay at the Arbutus Vista - Vancouver's Bed & Breakfast.
How was your trip? Which tour packages would you recommend/avoid? Must do's and must eats? Share tips, photos and experiences with other senior RS members who just want to get away..

Old 01-20-2015, 11:07 PM   #1
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Thanked 1,099 Times in 168 Posts
Thailand - Response to my previous thread

Original thread
http://www.revscene.net/forums/70000...nd-smiles.html

Right from Time. "The Land of Smiles? How about the Land of Shakedowns?"
Tourists in Thailand Are Being Targeted by Corrupt Police

I hope the same posters in my original thread will chime in.
Advertisement
This post FAILED by:
Old 01-21-2015, 06:34 AM   #2
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

anyone that carries their passport around on them and that much cash when walking around bangkok (especially at night) is asking to get ripped off...

good article though, the guy did exactly what he should have
blkgsr is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 01-21-2015, 06:56 AM   #3
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,816 Times in 8,190 Posts
You're not "asking to get ripped off" by walking around normally, no matter how much money you have on you. Like what the fuck?
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-21-2015, 07:17 AM   #4
Need to Seek Professional Help

After the original thread I actually inquired with multiple friends living in Thailand about the situation there and for the most part they said that its business as usual. This includes both Thai and a variety of Asian and White Expats.
Old 01-21-2015, 08:12 AM   #5
:inoutugh:

Thanked 5,833 Times in 1,836 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOS'd View Post
pls stay safe blkgsr and fishtaco
did op and blkgsr meet up?
Old 01-21-2015, 10:32 AM   #6
G
Banned (BBM)

I am actually planning on going to Phuket + Bangkok later in the year. Has this toned down a bit? I'm Asian, so does that = less trouble?
G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 10:35 AM   #7
RS controls my life!

Thanked 1,245 Times in 274 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkgsr View Post
anyone that carries their passport around on them and that much cash when walking around bangkok (especially at night) is asking to get ripped off...
that's like saying girls in mini skirts are asking to be raped..

when I travel I use only cash and sometimes carry my passport with me along with my ID in case I have any trouble. I don't expect to be robbed I'm just a little more cautious.
Originally Posted by SkunkWorks View Post
I believe cars are meant to be driven. I see zero point in having a beautiful car and never driving it. Might as well have Miranda Kerr in your bed and sleeping on the ground cause you don't want to fudge her mascara...

We go through our entire lives being told what to do every step of the way. The garage was always the one place where you could indulge in your own passion, with not a care for the outside world.
Godzira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 10:40 AM   #8
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 1,726 Times in 546 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by G View Post
I am actually planning on going to Phuket + Bangkok later in the year. Has this toned down a bit? I'm Asian, so does that = less trouble?
Phuket is probably still shitty, both environment wise and safety wise, especially when you are at the hot spots like the strip club road (bangla).
Honestly, I would avoid Phuket and just spend no more than a few hours there...

Bangkok, never have issues. Just make sure you don't fall for the taxi and restaurant traps. If they ask you to come in, then just go and walk away.
bcedhk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 10:44 AM   #9
linguistic ninja

Thanked 3,378 Times in 1,229 Posts
Don't listen to this fucker ^

Phuket is a huge island. If you're looking for trouble and hang out exclusively in Patong then yeah, you'll probably find it. There are tons of other beaches and places where you can still have a good time (non-happy ending wise).

Still a card carrying member of the SFC :)
CivicBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-21-2015, 10:52 AM   #10
G
Banned (BBM)

Well I was mostly going to go to Phuket to do those cool boat/kayak tours, snorkel, relax... And not get drugs and hookers. lol

Would using a gopro camera everywhere I go in Thailand get me robbed/targeted as well?

OP makes it sound like I am walking through prison with my asshole showing
G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 10:57 AM   #11
linguistic ninja

Thanked 3,378 Times in 1,229 Posts
My gf and I had a good time in Phuket for a week at Kata, Karon, and Surin beaches.

Just for fun we also went to see what Patong was all about as well.

As for the OP's article. HOLY SHIT 3rd WORLD COPS ARE SHAKING DOWN TOURISTS?!!?!? HOLY FUCK STOP THE PRESS, CALL THE UN!! CALL THE PRESIDENT!!

Wow. Deal with it. At least they were released after they threatened to call the embassy. Try being arrested and detained indefinitely for taking photos of the Suez Canal in Egypt.

Still a card carrying member of the SFC :)
CivicBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 11:26 AM   #12
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,022 Times in 450 Posts
If you carry traveller's cheques, do you make it payable to the police officer or police department?
Spoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 01:33 AM   #13
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

I know this is old thread but.. As FishTaco mentioned, Thailand cops are notorious for ripping off tourists. I too, have been extorted by them on the last trip with my girlfriend.
They only target tourists, white or Asian, and literally everyone pays them bribe just to avoid trouble. Cops are more of legal thugs there...
Then again, it's third world country. It's sad but pretty normal in third world country..
chinook79 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-25-2015, 06:23 PM   #14

Was just there, looked like extra security especially around Central World but didn't witness any shakedowns. Forgot how dirty Bangkok is.

If you want to witness a proper shakedown come to Vietnam and see what they do at the traffic stops. Will find any reason to give people a ticket in both cars and on bikes, and of course the ticket ends up being a reduced bribe.
Old 10-25-2015, 09:00 PM   #15

What was the scam chinook79? I've been to thailand + SE asia many times over the last 4 years and have never really been in that much trouble. Sure, my taxi may charge me more than he should, or there are fake 'toll' charges, but nothing that ever involved the police.
JHatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 02:29 AM   #16

Mate of mine who lives in Thailand said that there are some stories of the police planting drugs to extort money but didn't seem like it was wide spread.
Old 11-01-2015, 05:54 AM   #17

When you rent bike, cops stop every foreigners to check for international driver's license. They never stop locals. When I showed them mine, they make all kind of excuses stating that the license is not valid. They give you option to wait for them to go to station to with them to check authenticity or pay them "fine" in cash.
Old 11-01-2015, 07:43 AM   #18
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

so you're saying people that aren't locals that clearly have more wealth on them then the entire local populace could be at risk in said areas.

WELLY WELLY WELL. I'D SAY THAT APPLIES ON THE ENTIRE FUCKING PLANET.

/needs more threads about white guys living in asian countries complaining about the locals.
Old 11-01-2015, 08:00 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Karl View Post
so you're saying people that aren't locals that clearly have more wealth on them then the entire local populace could be at risk in said areas.

/needs more threads about white guys living in asian countries complaining about the locals.
What kind of ignorant fucking bullshit is this? Do you even travel, bro?

I would say that in most rural, poorer villages (Sapa, Shirakawago, Villa de Leyva); foreigners are safer than big cities (i.e. Ho Chi Minh, Bangkok, Tokyo, Hong Kong). Do some actual travelling before making ignorant statements.
Old 11-01-2015, 10:46 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Karl View Post

This isn't about some white guy complaining about locals. This is about staying safe while travelling. Thailand corruption is a little on the extreme side where cops are literally "legal thugs" that you are forced to pay "fine" regardless of you are guilty or not. Many Thai people are nice and friendly, but when you are planning on trip to such country, you would do yourself a big favor if you understand how Thai society works. If I argued further with cops who "fined" me for not having valid license when I actually did, I would've most likely ended up in jail for a day or even worse, be charged with drug trafficking by having them planted while being questioned.

There are lots .. and lots of con artists in Thailand who specifically target tourists. If I were to get into fight with them, local bystanders will jump in and I will end up getting beat up and jailed regardless of who is right or wrong.

I prefer to travel and experience how locals live rather than travel in comforts of 5 star hotel. I understand the risk in some countries, and I try to prepare myself to act street smart prior to travelling. In Thailand, I actually did get stopped by cops and be charged with unreasonable "fine", but I chose not to argue further and pay the "fine" with understanding how Thai corruption works prior to travelling.

I am not white, I don't live in Thailand, and I am not bitching about locals, but the corrupted society. If you are talking about FishTaco, I can imagine how frustrated he feels as I myself have experienced little of it in a very short 3 weeks travel. Is he a little extreme when pointing out how corrupted Thailand society is now? maybe, but for many travellers like myself, I find it very useful information as it helps me decide how to act or what to do to prevent such things when I actually do travel.

Hot Karl, do yourself a favor and experience different part of the world. It might open up your ignorant eyes a little..
This post thanked by:
Old 11-02-2015, 06:03 PM   #21

A similar scam with the license is done here in Vietnam as well, however cops here will pretty much pull everyone over and are not specifically looking to target foreigners. Anyone who thinks that local Thai, Viet, etc... don't have money are idiots and have not traveled enough.

Jhatta is also right, the areas outside of the majors cities are very safe, especially to people traveling. Out in those areas you encounter people who don't have much but are so kind and nice that they would be happy to invite you for meal at their home.

Nothing about this thread is complaining, its sharing stories about safe traveling in Thailand.
Old 11-13-2015, 12:01 AM   #22
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

I'm about to start my research on Thailand as I'll be there for approx. a week with the wife in April, and the only info I have is from watching Anthony Bourdain's Parts Unknown episode on Thailand (Anthony Bourdain Parts Unknown Thailand - CNN.com).

Is Thailand generally safe to visit? From some of the travel websites I've glanced over is that it's beaches are nice, food is cheap and great and the people are generally friendly.

Also, any good suggestions on places to visit?

Thanks in advance.
dutd33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 09:24 AM   #23

When in April are you going? Will you be there for songkran?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Songkran_(Thailand)
Old 11-19-2015, 08:28 AM   #24
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
Thinking of going to Thailand in Feb now I am not so sure......
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 08:43 AM   #25
PM me for my nudes

Thanked 3,772 Times in 1,001 Posts
LOL NO THANKS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkunkWorks View Post
This wouldn't happen if you didn't drive a peasant car like an Audi...
Quote:
[14-05, 14:59] FastAnna You tiny bra wearing, gigantic son of a bitch
[15-05, 10:35] FastAnna Yeah I was dreaming of those big titties in that tiny bra
Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
I'd probably blow someone for that 911
smoothie. is offline   Reply With Quote