REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > House and Home Renovations

House and Home Renovations THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Designing your new condo or townhouse? Renovating your kitchen? Share your photos and project ideas with other experts here! We're not just modifying our cars anymore..

Old 01-21-2015, 08:29 PM   #1
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,169 Times in 959 Posts
Thinking of building a house - what should I know?

My search for a home to buy hasn't been successful yet and based on market prices and what we're looking for we're starting to consider the option of hiring a builder to build a home for us. My parents built their own home but that was 20 years ago so I'm not really sure where to start so I thought I'd ask those of you who have built houses or are builders for some starter advice.

Some questions I have:
- How should I go about getting a property? Are there agents who specialize in this? I've identified about 20 lots/homes in the area we want live in that may be candidates for us.
- Beyond the cost of the property and the builder's cost what are the additional costs I need to consider? How much will a lawyer cost (do I need one)?
- What does the bank expect from me? I assume I need a construction mortgage (I don't have 1.5MM lying around).
- How involved/uninvolved should I expect to be with the building of the house? (I come from a project management background in tech so am familiar with time/scope/budget and fussy clients etc).
- Sounds like $200/sf is a reasonable budget for the typical home being built in East Van. Does that sound accurate?

thanks,
Advertisement

Last edited by supafamous; 01-21-2015 at 09:42 PM.
supafamous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 08:36 PM   #2
MiX iT Up!

Thanked 2,066 Times in 865 Posts
here is a custom builders site - hope it helps!

Fraser Valley Custom Home Builder - Sonbuilt Custom Homes, Langley BC

Sometimes we tend to be in despair when the person we love leaves us, but the truth is, it's not our loss, but theirs, for they left the only person who couldn't give up on them.

Make the effort and take the risk..

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't." - Eleanor Roosevelt
tiger_handheld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 09:35 PM   #3
Wanna have a threesome?

Thanked 5,054 Times in 1,657 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by supafamous View Post
around).
- How involved/uninvolved should I expect to be with the building of the house? (I come from a project management background in tech so am familiar with time/scope/budget and fussy clients etc).
If your considering building your house yourself, I would suggest you not rely on your experience in project management in tech. Though I'm sure your experience in managing time, scope, budget and difficult clients (or in this case, sub-contractors) is relatively transferable from your industry to construction, your lack of general knowledge of home construction would become an issue. I speak from experience in saying this as I've seen this occur a number of times, including in a project I'm presently on. In short, go through a builder and they'll regulate your involvement.

Quote:
- Sounds like $200/sf is a reasonable budget for the typical home being built in East Van. Does that sound accurate?
Yup, though it may be slightly on the low side as Van and the North Shore are more expensive to build in than other areas of the Lower Mainland.

When you eventually need an insulation bid, send me a message.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger_handheld View Post
here is a custom builders site - hope it helps!

Fraser Valley Custom Home Builder - Sonbuilt Custom Homes, Langley BC
I don't really understand this website.

They present themselves more like developers than custom home builders.
MindBomber is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-21-2015, 09:41 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MindBomber View Post
If your considering building your house yourself, I would suggest you not rely on your experience in project management in tech. Though I'm sure your experience in managing time, scope, budget and difficult clients (or in this case, sub-contractors) is relatively transferable from your industry to construction, your lack of general knowledge of home construction would become an issue. I speak from experience in saying this as I've seen this occur a number of times, including in a project I'm presently on. In short, go through a builder and they'll regulate your involvement.
Thanks. I should be clearer about this - I'm considering hiring a builder to build the home. My reference to my PM background was to say that I understand what the builder and their team will need to deal with. I've edited my post to reflect this.
Old 01-21-2015, 11:22 PM   #5
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Thanked 1,536 Times in 427 Posts
going through this very process myself with my brother and parents.

how involved you get depends on you, and your builder. if you are very specific in what you want and your builder listens to you, you can be less involved. since they know what you want and how you want it

check up on where you build every so often. anything that is wrong is easier to change earlier than in later stages. if you find that there are mistakes after mistakes everytime you visit, then you will be more involved with the builder.

as for obtaining a property, are you buying a lot with a house on it that you will just knock down and rebuild? if so, i believe any realtor you choose should be fine.

as for cost, it depends on what you and your builder agree on when building. if you get predetermined budget for predetermined materials, then it would cost you more for you to "upgrade" these materials. always plan for being over budget simply because shit happens.
SoNaRWaVe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 01:28 AM   #6
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Thanked 1,399 Times in 396 Posts
Quote:
What's the ballpark for building a house in Calgary/Edmonton now a days?

Or is the cost/sf nearly the same. And its just the price of the land that's cheaper?
v_tec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 07:58 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoNaRWaVe View Post
as for obtaining a property, are you buying a lot with a house on it that you will just knock down and rebuild? if so, i believe any realtor you choose should be fine.
Yeah, we'll be knocking down a house. The trick, I suppose, is that the area has been rezoned duplex for several years (Norquay) and I bet most of the homeowners have had agents/developers knocking on their doors for awhile. I think I need an agent who's pretty aggressive about chasing down the right piece of land for us - that's not really the style of the agent I have (so I think).
Old 01-22-2015, 08:31 AM   #8
Waxin’ Punks

Thanked 6,043 Times in 2,076 Posts
Expect to spend more than your budget.

$200/ft is on the low end.

The more PM you can do, the more you save, but it's a bitch to deal with. However, a builder will try to maximize profits wherever possible whereas you will try to maximize savings.

Building a home is stressful no matter which path you choose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1 View Post
punkwax, I don't care what your friends say about you, you are gold!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemhg View Post
What do your farts sound like then?
punkwax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 09:41 AM   #9
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,061 Times in 1,181 Posts
Others have provided some good information already. But I'll touch on a few things that others haven't:

Quote:
- Beyond the cost of the property and the builder's cost what are the additional costs I need to consider? How much will a lawyer cost (do I need one)?
I only needed a lawyer to help with the documents associated with buying the property. Didn't need a lawyer during or after the construction process.

Quote:
- What does the bank expect from me? I assume I need a construction mortgage (I don't have 1.5MM lying around).
A contractor will make you pay in stages (maybe 3 stages?), and a construction mortgage allows you to draw funds in stages as well. I could be wrong, but interest rates for construction mortgages might be higher because there is a bit more risk for the bank. Once the construction is complete, your construction mortgage will be converted into a regular mortgage.

Do you need money just to pay for the construction? Or do you need money to pay for the lot + construction? In my case, I only needed money for the costs of construction. So I went to the bank, showed them I owned a old house, and they qualified me for a regular mortgage. I didn't tell them I demolished the old house and used that money to build.

Here's my thread from 2012: http://www.revscene.net/forums/66623...new-house.html

And here's another thread from 2014: http://www.revscene.net/forums/69263...ouse-tips.html
Honest to fucking Christ the easiest way to get a married woman in the mood is clean the house and do the laundry.....I've been with the same girl almost 17 years, ask me how I know. - quasi
Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-24-2015, 09:17 AM   #10

Thanks all for the help.

Found an agent that has a piece of land on the street I want to live on who's offering a build to order duplex for 968K a side (1900sf ea). The land was purchased for 1.088M last June so the profit margin sounds low for the builder unless he's building on the cheap (@$200sf that'd be less than 100K in profit which sounds low compared to what I'm seeing builders make in that area).

Any particular words of caution in this type of situation since it sounds like i'm locked into a specific builder?

Edit: putting in clearer math:

Property: 1.088M
Build costs @$200/sf: 780K (assumes 1950sf - I think FSR limits it to 1900sf actually)
Cost for builder: 1.868M

Purchase price for the whole duplex: 1.936M
Profit for builder: 68K.

thanks,

Last edited by supafamous; 01-24-2015 at 10:11 AM.
supafamous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 09:36 AM   #11
Waxin’ Punks

Thanked 6,043 Times in 2,076 Posts
Edit. Re-read your post.. think I understand what you meant. Little confusing how it's laid out.

I think 100k is a decent profit for builders who average 3-4 homes per year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1 View Post
punkwax, I don't care what your friends say about you, you are gold!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemhg View Post
What do your farts sound like then?

Last edited by punkwax; 01-24-2015 at 09:44 AM.
punkwax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 01:16 PM   #12

The builder of the lot I'm interested in is C-Best Construction. Has anyone heard of them? Not much on them via Google - no working website. I drove to a few houses they've built - seems like fairly standard work (built to the customer's price).
Old 01-24-2015, 06:57 PM   #13
Wanna have a threesome?

Thanked 5,054 Times in 1,657 Posts
I don't have personal experience with them, though I found their Facebook site through a Google search. Based on the pictures, their work looks to be standard, small scale developer quality, and though that's not too terrible it's not especially good. They'll be working with a budget of well-below $200/sf; I would suspect their budget is in the $16X/sf range.
MindBomber is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-24-2015, 10:38 PM   #14
HELP ME PLS!!!

http://www.gvhba.org
alex.w *// is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 08:56 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by MindBomber View Post
I don't have personal experience with them, though I found their Facebook site through a Google search. Based on the pictures, their work looks to be standard, small scale developer quality, and though that's not too terrible it's not especially good. They'll be working with a budget of well-below $200/sf; I would suspect their budget is in the $16X/sf range.
Thanks, I got a walkthrough of a house they're just finishing and it looked alright but I can see where some corners were cut. Hard to see what's underneath the finishings though.

What's a $200-250sf house look like? Most of the ones I've seen at open houses look pretty comparable to what these guys have been doing (or worse - the 6 duplex unit on King Ed by Knight is pretty terrible).

Q: Where can I find out who the builders/agents are for houses that are under construction? I'm looking into the units that aren't complete yet and most don't have any signs outside saying who's building them.
Old 01-26-2015, 08:33 PM   #16
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Homeowner Protection Office | Homeowner Protection Office

You can find out by entering the address.
E60_M5 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-26-2015, 09:43 PM   #17
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Thanked 1,536 Times in 427 Posts
why are you locked in with a specific builder?

the finishing covers everything thats important. unfortunately, it is whats under the finishing that determines the quality of the build. i think that if you can see some corners cut, expect 10 others that you can't see.

see if you can take a tour of a house in progress. that should give you a better idea of the quality of the guys he hires.
SoNaRWaVe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 10:14 PM   #18
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
Quote:

the finishing covers everything thats important. unfortunately, it is whats under the finishing that determines the quality of the build. i think that if you can see some corners cut, expect 10 others that you can't see.

see if you can take a tour of a house in progress. that should give you a better idea of the quality of the guys he hires.
This.

Maple cabinets, granite counter tops, brushed stainless Moen faucets... they may look pretty, but it's all lipstick and mascara. What's truly important is what sort of material was used beneath it all and how it was used.

I'm sure contractors hate people like this, but after the fiasco that was the build of our house in Salmon Arm, I'll never build a house without making sure I know exactly what's going on. Even if it means interrupting the workers so I can do a walk-through to see everything, so be it.

Why? One of the houses built on the property had the foundation laid 15* off. Doesn't sound like much, but it meant the difference between a view of the valley and mountains, and a view of the neighbour's house on the property below. Also, hollow concrete foundation. I've never heard a concrete floor echo until that day...
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 10:19 PM   #19

Please tell me you aren't planing to build in City of Vancouver.
It is so f--k up right now with the new regulations & Bylaw changed since Jan. 1, 2015.
You are instantly tab on $50,000 from new house permit charge and the house demonstration rules.

Last edited by Bender Unit; 01-26-2015 at 10:25 PM.
Bender Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 05:26 AM   #20

Quote:

For the specific property I'm looking at the builder owns the land so I'd be stuck with them if I wanted that spot. I'm looking at other lots but this one happened to be in my top 10
Old 01-27-2015, 07:14 AM   #21
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lomac View Post
Also, hollow concrete foundation. I've never heard a concrete floor echo until that day...
please elaborate.....i've been in construction for 12 years, hollow concrete isn't even possible

the major things you need to worry about as far as contractors "cutting corners" as everyone is saying is the things you don't see

most things are covered by code but it's going the step beyond that really make the difference

- 2x10 joist vs TGI
- plywood exterior sheathing vs particle board (i don't even know when this shit is still allowed at all)
- the type of insulation used (this is HUGE)......pay the premium and go with spray foam (and make sure it's a quality contractor)
- the types of windows used (quality company with good energy ratings, do your research)
- the type of roofing system
- subfloor prep prior to tile/hardwood
- heating cooling system installed (are all the ducts insulated?)
- foundation waterproofing (i have no idea what the code on single family houses is, but you want something decent, SBS or a good spray on
etc
etc
etc

anyone of these can add a ton of money but make the house that much more comfortable and worth it
blkgsr is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-27-2015, 12:02 PM   #22
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

little bit off topic but can someone in the industry clarify what exactly do you save if you rebuild a house using existing foundation instead of a new build?

From what I've heard, it's classified as a renovation thus less taxes/assessment. Or you don't need certain permits?

Thanks
noclue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 06:27 PM   #23
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

well other than that maybe (i have no clue), there's the obvious savings of not having to demo the foundation and slab on grade concrete (removal and disposal), excavating the new layout, then pouring new footings and walls.....plus you'd have to redo all the below slab services as they'd all get fucked up during the demo

there's other things like the below grade foundation waterproofing that technically could be saved but depending on how old i'd excavate the walls and install new waterproofing and drain tile
blkgsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 10:26 PM   #24
Willing to sell a family member for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 1,421 Times in 273 Posts
another benefit would be able to build a larger square footage house on the existing foundation

Acura Integra Type R 00-1004 - It's back
223whp 161ft tq 2.0L ITR

My Feedback
E-40six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 10:43 PM   #25
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,114 Times in 482 Posts
Quote:
For the specific property I'm looking at the builder owns the land so I'd be stuck with them if I wanted that spot. I'm looking at other lots but this one happened to be in my top 10
are you saying that for you to rebuild on the land you MUST use the builder because he owns the land? and that is written down on contract when purchasing?

as far as i know, after you purchase the property, you can choose whoever you want to build on that property. after all, it is yours.
Alby is offline   Reply With Quote