REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   Buying a sofa (anyone experienced?) (https://www.revscene.net/forums/701025-buying-sofa-anyone-experienced.html)

frozen 01-22-2015 09:23 PM

Buying a sofa (anyone experienced?)

I know this probably should go under home and renovation section but there's more traffic here.

Where do you guys usually go for buying a sofa? The big chains like the brick, jysk, etc? or warehouses? or maybe smaller no name stores?

Would appreciate if any experienced folks can chime in on things to look out for when buying a set of sofa.

StylinRed 01-22-2015 09:30 PM

depends on your budget and if you're looking for something to last or something for the short term

murd0c 01-22-2015 09:35 PM

as Stylin said its about budget and also your style. For the big box stores go in find something you like then go home and read reviews to find out about factory defects and such. Remember the brick will bargain big time and your can easily work out free delivery if you want to go that route

Tone Loc 01-22-2015 09:43 PM

Need I say more?

bcedhk 01-22-2015 10:22 PM

Ikea mid range and certain models are actually quite well built and look half decent.

IMO there are a lot of options nowadays in the mid-range section (1.5-3k) so if you have a week or two to shop around then I would just go with the one that you like.

There is a whole row of furniture store on United Blvd that is worth visiting during the weekend.

keifun 01-22-2015 10:33 PM

I recently went to Sears furniture. The one on Bridgeport in Richmond. Got an awesome deal on a sofa that was over 50% off. I suggest you take a look there.

Matsuda 01-22-2015 11:40 PM

we bought our sectional here and got a really good price on it

Home

StylinRed 01-23-2015 02:39 AM

im guessing you just want some websites to check out? here's a few ranging in price range/styles

http://www.restorationhardware.com/ (traditional)
Mid Century Furniture for your Home and Office | Rove Concepts (modern)
House of Chippendale (custom)
Lison Art Furniture. Home (custom)
Nakasone Japanese Furniture Design _ Japanese woodcraft (custom traditional japanese style furniture)
Inspiration Furniture - Vancouver's Leading Furniture Store for Modern Home & Office Furniture (modern)
Modern Furniture, Home Decor & Home Accessories | West Elm
https://www.google.ca/webhp?sourceid...vard+furniture

west broadway/downtown is filled with nice furniture stores as is united blvd. in coquitlam

there are really tonnnnnnnnes of links that we could link here but ye know budget/style needs wants need to be posted

Qmx323 01-23-2015 05:53 AM

I wouldn't know, the curb does most of my sofa shopping for me

zerobid 01-23-2015 06:38 AM

I picked up a stylus ruby sofa and love seat from the liquidator on the cheep.
want to say 1200 for both.

Stylus Ruby Sofa Stylus In Stock Collection Ruby - Fabric Sofa Groups

hit and miss but great deals.

jasonturbo 01-23-2015 07:12 AM

I've been through a number of sofa's, and honestly, i will only ever go the custom route from here on.

I'm a big fan of being able to configure your sofa exactly how you want it.

If you've got a few extra bucks, the Lounge series from C&B is pretty sweet, my most recent sofa is the "tropicana" by Fairmont, the feather blend cushions are unreal lol.

http://www.fairmontdesigns.com/home/...cana-sectional

My sectional w/ ottoman was about 5k, expensive, but it's made in California, from materials sourced domestically, and for me that helped justify the price… but damn it's comfy as a mafaka, I should have this one for a long time.

Marioo1991 01-23-2015 07:16 AM

I bought my sectional sofa from sofa works in coquitlam, it was customized to the material, length, etc that I wanted. Came out to around $1500, 7 years later still in great shape

MG1 01-23-2015 07:47 AM

inb4 pic of casting couch

I like Italian furniture. Materials are so important, both covering and stuctural, so if you have the money, go custom made.

If generic is what you are looking for, I'd say Ikea mid to high end. No mess, no fuss. Wait for sale and you're set.

Tapioca 01-23-2015 08:33 AM

I like furniture from Urban Barn. Their furniture hits the sweet spot in terms of style, quality, and price. Resale value is pretty good too if you get bored with the sofa, or need something for a different space.

quasi 01-23-2015 08:43 AM

When we bought our house I bought a bunch of furniture from "Robs Furniture" and I would not recommend it. They fucked up our sectional, ordered it the wrong way and we had defects in our dining room table where the finish was bubbling. They had 2 no shows/no calls where they said they would be there to drop off the replacement table, I took time of work both times to meet them. I eventually ended up dealing with the owner of the store and got it resolved but I spent $10,000 in there store and they made it real painful for me when there were issues.

murd0c 01-23-2015 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MG1 (Post 8585031)
inb4 pic of casting couch

I like Italian furniture. Materials are so important, both covering and stuctural, so if you have the money, go custom made.

If generic is what you are looking for, I'd say Ikea mid to high end. No mess, no fuss. Wait for sale and you're set.

http://i.imgur.com/TlPeLOY.png

urrh 01-23-2015 11:55 AM

i make fun of my buddy for buying an uncomfortable couch from time to time. the leather is hard and the arm rests are high and angular. he didn't lie down on it when he was testing, just sat on it for a bit.

MG1 01-23-2015 12:30 PM

^Man, a sofa is meant for lying down on, among other things......

A married man has to take more interest when choosing a couch/sofa. Advice from someone who has been married for 35+ years. Couches may break, but a marriage should be forever.......... (can't believe I said that). I've spent more time on the couch than I would like to admit. One of the reasons I don't have a dog.

Gumby 01-23-2015 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MG1 (Post 8585208)
^Man, a sofa is meant for lying down on, among other things......

A married man has to take more interest when choosing a couch/sofa. Advice from someone who has been married for 35+ years. Couches may break, but a marriage should be forever.......... (can't believe I said that). I've spent more time on the couch than I would like to admit. One of the reasons I don't have a dog.

Wow that is one of the deepest posts I have ever read on RS. :concentrate:

frozen 01-23-2015 04:33 PM

Really appreciate all the help guys. It's good to hear some personal experiences. I recently got a house and am thinking of putting a set of leather sofa in the family room with TV and a set of non-leather for living room (or a sectional one) where there's a piano. Just thought there might be a bit more of a warm feel to non-leather sofas.

I'm definitely surprised to see how expensive sofas can get. Ideally we would like to keep it under $2k per set of sofa. We really like the ones in the link below but looks like it's going to be difficult to keep them under $2k lol. Also, anyone has experiences with microsuede/microfiber sofas? How's the durability?

A masterful reproduction of the classic Chesterfield style

StylinRed 01-23-2015 07:39 PM

For that style i'd recommend http://www.restorationhardware.com/c...055&sale=false

they've got a store on granville in van and it looks like they've even got an outlet down in surrey now too

https://www.google.ca/webhp?sourceid...rationhardware

they've got a 20% off sale now and depending on your lengths/fabric/filling you can get the same look for real close to $2k

Quality is great too (although we haven't had them for too long, just a few years)

I don't see them around anymore but there used to be middle-eastern furniture themed stores in malls (about 10+ years ago now?) and some of the furniture they sold was actually of quite high quality and there's LOTS of wiggle room to negotiate... (maybe that's why they closed down, sold em for too cheap) still have a couple of pieces from them that are as good as brand new today..

anyway my point is don't shy away from smaller stores too, try out the furniture, ask questions of where the pieces are made, what materials were used, etc. and you could find some great quality pieces at affordable prices (so that craigslist place you linked to may be a great place)

Tapioca 01-24-2015 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frozen (Post 8585352)
Really appreciate all the help guys. It's good to hear some personal experiences. I recently got a house and am thinking of putting a set of leather sofa in the family room with TV and a set of non-leather for living room (or a sectional one) where there's a piano. Just thought there might be a bit more of a warm feel to non-leather sofas.

I'm definitely surprised to see how expensive sofas can get. Ideally we would like to keep it under $2k per set of sofa. We really like the ones in the link below but looks like it's going to be difficult to keep them under $2k lol. Also, anyone has experiences with microsuede/microfiber sofas? How's the durability?

A masterful reproduction of the classic Chesterfield style

I had a microsuede couch for a few years. It was cool for a while, but I found it hard to keep clean (which is contrary to why people buy them). IMHO, microfibre/suede is dated (consider the number of microfibre/suede couches people are trying to sell on Craigslist). I think you're better off sticking to a high quality conventional fabric or a good top-grain leather.

If you have a truck and are willing to spend some time, there are good deals on quality pieces on Craigslist.

multicartual 01-24-2015 12:19 PM

My purple leather couch lasted 4 years before I had to throw it out from it being banged on too much

The more fun you plan to have with your furniture as a bachelor, the less money you should spend on all furniture.

gurdeep007 01-24-2015 07:39 PM

ScanDesign is good bought a leather sectional from them 2 years ago and service was top notch.

Saw a leather sofa set at the Brick for my living room it was 3900 I lucked out Liquidation Direct in Burnaby had the same set for 1300 minus the chair. They got it through an insurance claim or something they has 15 sets or something still in Brick packaging and all manufacturer tags matched the Brick. Check out Liquidation Direct hit or miss sometimes but worth checking out

JesseBlue 01-24-2015 08:09 PM

High end tranformable sofa? Resource furniture...