REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Food & Fine Dining (https://www.revscene.net/forums/food-fine-dining_33/)
-   -   HK style tomato sauce pasta recipe (https://www.revscene.net/forums/701069-hk-style-tomato-sauce-pasta-recipe.html)

6o4__boi 01-24-2015 06:35 PM

HK style tomato sauce pasta recipe

anyone have a general idea how to make this? or can point me to a recipe site?
Similar to what you would find at HK cafes (ie. the boss, honolulu etc.) usually comes with shredded chicken/ham bits and tomato chunks.
I've always wanted to make it but i can't quite figure out how they make it, definitely different from the usual tomato sauce.

thanks in advance

SkinnyPupp 01-24-2015 07:01 PM

I make this all the time, and my secret ingredient is Campbell's tomato soup :thumbs:

xxxrsxxx 01-24-2015 10:35 PM

is this the same sauce for baked pork chop rice? I love that sauce and always wanted to know the receipe

SkinnyPupp 01-25-2015 12:14 AM

Yup baked pork chops would use tomato soup as well... Figure out the concentration yourself.. After some experimenting, you should be able to get the taste you want!

What I do is make a bolognese with beef and pork, some tomato sauce, and tomato soup. Ends up tasting a lot like HK style baked spaghetti, but with better ingredients (more meat!)

bcrdukes 01-25-2015 02:13 AM

While many recipes of this kind call for the use of ketchup, as a personal preference, I prefer the use of Campbell's Tomato Soup as well. I find that it has a nicer flavour to it over ketchup.

SkinnyPupp 01-25-2015 02:24 AM

When I precook the beef and pork I put in a little bit of worcestershire. Oh and be sure to add MSG, as the soup doesn't have any. Otherwise it'll be too sweet, and not enough umami

Culverin 01-25-2015 03:56 AM

:ahwow:
This thread has been a revelation.

Thanks so much for the info Skinny :)

SkinnyPupp 01-25-2015 04:19 AM

I'm sure you'll take this idea and run with it to create something crazy good :thumbs:

6o4__boi 01-25-2015 07:58 AM

I see...ketchup was the first thing I thought off too but there's so many ways you could go wrong with ketchup. Never would have thought of tomato soup

I'm gonna give the tomato soup a shot later! is there a specific brand of tomato sauce that works well? Or just any in general?

IMASA 01-25-2015 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 6o4__boi (Post 8586147)
is there a specific brand of tomato sauce that works well? Or just any in general?

Read again

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp (Post 8585902)
I make this all the time, and my secret ingredient is Campbell's tomato soup :thumbs:

6o4__boi 01-25-2015 09:01 AM

I got the tomato soup part...but isn't it mixed with tomato sauce?
Wondering what tomato sauce would go good with the soup.

Unless the sauce is completely based on the soup.

nabs 01-25-2015 04:27 PM

RAGU Tomato Sauce.

bcrdukes 01-25-2015 04:41 PM

There are no hard rules when it comes to the tomato sauce used. I prefer the use of Campbell's Tomato Soup in substitution ketcup simply because it doesn't have that sweet / sugary taste from ketchup; I absolutely dislike ketchup in foods. If I have some tomato paste, I'll use a small amount in the soup but otherwise, it isn't necessary.

I would encourage you to experiment with different recipes because ultimately, your sauce concoction should be something catered to your personal taste.

willystyle 01-25-2015 08:12 PM

I have Ragu and Campbell Tomato soup in my cupboard. Time for experimentation this week for some honger pasta.

6o4__boi 01-26-2015 09:18 AM

Tried it yesterday with Campbell's. Was pretty good...not quite the exact same taste but it was in the neighborhood.

Definitely some room for experimentation.

Thanks for the suggestions and tips!

hamsup 01-27-2015 10:07 AM

pork chop on rice sauce.... --> cream of chicken... ketchup.... worscheshire sauce... and some onions.. :)

SkinnyPupp 01-27-2015 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 6o4__boi (Post 8586627)
Tried it yesterday with Campbell's. Was pretty good...not quite the exact same taste but it was in the neighborhood.

Definitely some room for experimentation.

Thanks for the suggestions and tips!

Yup you need to play around to get the taste you want :thumbs:

Zordon 01-27-2015 10:00 PM

I tried the RS Pro tip with the Campbell's tomato soup. I loved it and it was even better as lunch today.

Gotta try it with pork chops now. Thanks again.

willystyle 01-27-2015 10:22 PM

How exactly do u guys make it?

Zordon 01-29-2015 12:44 PM

I sort of took everyone's advice and combined them into one recipe.

Ingredients:
1 jar of regular Ragu pasta sauce
1 small to medium sweet onion
5 cloves of garlic
1 lbs of extra lean beef or combo of pork with beef
1 can of Campbell's tomato soup
Garlic powder

1. I prepped my ingredients first by dicing the onions and garlic
2. Saute the onions in olive oil and then add the garlic to the onion
3. Place the onions and garlic aside
4. Brown beef or meat mixture. I usually sprinkle some garlic powder on the meat
5. Once brown, you can remove some fat if you wish but I like it greasy
6. Add onions and garlic mixture to beef
7. Add Ragu sauce
8. Add entire can of Campbell's tomato soup or do your liking (i started at half a can)
9. Add two scoups of pasta water after your pasta is done.
10. Allow it to simmer
11. Drain pasta and then incorporate pasta into the sauce. I use tongs to mix in everything.
12. Serve and enjoy

This is how i made it but like everyone said, you can experiment.

bcrdukes 01-29-2015 01:49 PM

^
So how did you enjoy it and what would you do differently?

Zordon 01-29-2015 02:26 PM

Couple things, I would definitely have the heat on medium while incorporating the pasta. I had it on simmer and it didn't taste hot enough. I would love to try baking it with cheese on top next time (although i'm lactose intolerant). I think for HK style, the spaghetti has to be pretty soft to actually replicate it.

The day after tasted even better. It's something i would definitely make again cause it was quick and easy.

willystyle 01-29-2015 02:44 PM

Yeah for HK-style pasta, you need to overcook the pasta. Al dente doesn't cut it. ;)

SkinnyPupp 01-29-2015 06:45 PM

Definitely don't use lean beef

willystyle 02-01-2015 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bklam (Post 8588412)
I sort of took everyone's advice and combined them into one recipe.

Ingredients:
1 jar of regular Ragu pasta sauce
1 small to medium sweet onion
5 cloves of garlic
1 lbs of extra lean beef or combo of pork with beef
1 can of Campbell's tomato soup
Garlic powder

1. I prepped my ingredients first by dicing the onions and garlic
2. Saute the onions in olive oil and then add the garlic to the onion
3. Place the onions and garlic aside
4. Brown beef or meat mixture. I usually sprinkle some garlic powder on the meat
5. Once brown, you can remove some fat if you wish but I like it greasy
6. Add onions and garlic mixture to beef
7. Add Ragu sauce
8. Add entire can of Campbell's tomato soup or do your liking (i started at half a can)
9. Add two scoups of pasta water after your pasta is done.
10. Allow it to simmer
11. Drain pasta and then incorporate pasta into the sauce. I use tongs to mix in everything.
12. Serve and enjoy

This is how i made it but like everyone said, you can experiment.

Made it this morning for breakfast. It's a pretty good base as a foundation. I would make a few minor changes to make it taste more like what you would get at a HK-style cafe. It's optional of course.

- 2 Tbsp to 1/4 cup of Ketchup (depends how sweet you like it) to add some sweetness to it
- 1/2 cup of Frozen Peas, thawed
- 1/2 cup of Frozen Corn and Carrot mix (PC-brand - Superstore has these), thawed