REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > House and Home Renovations

House and Home Renovations THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Designing your new condo or townhouse? Renovating your kitchen? Share your photos and project ideas with other experts here! We're not just modifying our cars anymore..

Old 01-27-2015, 10:28 AM   #1
Oh goodie, 5 posts already!

Home office in Condo- Strata complications?

I have a condo that has been vacant for a while now. I also run a small ecommerce company. I have two others working for me.

My plan is use the condo as a small office for the company. The only work we do is strictly computer work/phones.

I suspect eventually strata will ask if someone moved in (rentals are forbidden in the building) and might probe more into what is going on there.

I've read over the by-laws and I can't see any mention about restrictions on office-space like this, nor can I see anything in the BC strata laws.

Can anyone think of any issues the strata may be able to harass me with? I can see visitor parking being such an issue (which is fine, there's ample street parking) but I can't think of anything else.
Advertisement
kod_mako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 10:38 AM   #2
The Brown Reason

Thanked 5,863 Times in 1,525 Posts
Just do it and say they're family and staying there for free
BrRsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 12:22 PM   #3
FB6
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

Just say you're living there and you have friends over everyday.
FB6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 10:41 AM   #4
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 7,759 Times in 2,313 Posts
Just say its a bachelors pad for when you need to get away from your bitch of a wife and do some hookers & blow.

Barney Fucking Purple FX35
Brianna - 2008 FX35 - Build Thread
meme405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 03:56 PM   #5
Old School RS

Thanked 3,952 Times in 1,205 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kod_mako View Post
I have a condo that has been vacant for a while now. I also run a small ecommerce company. I have two others working for me.

My plan is use the condo as a small office for the company. The only work we do is strictly computer work/phones.

I suspect eventually strata will ask if someone moved in (rentals are forbidden in the building) and might probe more into what is going on there.

I've read over the by-laws and I can't see any mention about restrictions on office-space like this, nor can I see anything in the BC strata laws.

Can anyone think of any issues the strata may be able to harass me with? I can see visitor parking being such an issue (which is fine, there's ample street parking) but I can't think of anything else.
If your strata really has a problem with it, they can make your life difficult and have leverage on the basis that you cannot operate a business without a business license, and you cannot obtain a business license for a property that is not zoned for it, ie a residential apartment.

I doubt it's a problem but there are certainly some legal reasons why you can't just run a call center in your empty apartment...

Mark
Old 04-22-2015, 02:18 PM   #6
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

I'm doing something similar already,so just kinda curious as to whats the worst that can happen??
Drive_all_night is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 04-22-2015, 07:45 PM   #7
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

What he said....

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowside67 View Post
If your strata really has a problem with it, they can make your life difficult and have leverage on the basis that you cannot operate a business without a business license, and you cannot obtain a business license for a property that is not zoned for it, ie a residential apartment.

I doubt it's a problem but there are certainly some legal reasons why you can't just run a call center in your empty apartment...

Mark
B!tch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 07:50 PM   #8
MiX iT Up!

Thanked 2,066 Times in 865 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kod_mako View Post
I have two others working for me.

Next Wolf of Wallstreet?

I got a tip for you - KUNGSHOES.COM .. next big thing.. even your grandma will want in on it!

Sometimes we tend to be in despair when the person we love leaves us, but the truth is, it's not our loss, but theirs, for they left the only person who couldn't give up on them.

Make the effort and take the risk..

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't." - Eleanor Roosevelt
tiger_handheld is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-23-2015, 08:08 AM   #9
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,812 Times in 2,501 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowside67 View Post
you cannot obtain a business license for a property that is not zoned for it, ie a residential apartment.
so small companies that work out of their garage or basement are doing so illegally because their property is residential and not zoned for commercial?

or are you soley referring to a condo. b/c i've seen small contractors working out of their truck that have their business address as a house when you street view the "company address"

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 03:31 PM   #10
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLOW View Post
so small companies that work out of their garage or basement are doing so illegally because their property is residential and not zoned for commercial?

or are you soley referring to a condo. b/c i've seen small contractors working out of their truck that have their business address as a house when you street view the "company address"

My thoughts as well. And also I've been writing off part of my rent as a business expense
Drive_all_night is offline   Reply With Quote