REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Technical Discussion > Maintenance, Engine & Driveline Tech

Maintenance, Engine & Driveline Tech This forum is brought to you by The Speed Syndicate (TSS) in Burnaby.
Discussion of maintaining your engine, transmission, differentails, rear ends, and mods associated with "driveline" parts..

Old 01-28-2015, 09:57 AM   #1
RS controls my life!

Thanked 1,245 Times in 274 Posts
Pull Type Clutch

Can someone please teach me about Pull Type clutches??

There's really not a lot of information on them (that I can find anyways).. I get that it pulls the diaphragm fingers away from the flywheel and the pivot in the cover allows the pressure ring to come away from the friction plate. I'm a visual person and I have a hard time wrapping my head around this.

So would every other factor compare to a push type clutch? For example, If the disc starts getting thin would the pedal still grab at the top?

With a push clutch the pressure plate surface moves closer to the flywheel which takes up the space originally taken by the disc and makes the pedal grab at the top.
So if the pull type clutch isn't slipping at all but grabs right at the top of the pedal does that mean the clutch needs to replaced soon?? Or is it completely different ?

help me.
Advertisement
Originally Posted by SkunkWorks View Post
I believe cars are meant to be driven. I see zero point in having a beautiful car and never driving it. Might as well have Miranda Kerr in your bed and sleeping on the ground cause you don't want to fudge her mascara...

We go through our entire lives being told what to do every step of the way. The garage was always the one place where you could indulge in your own passion, with not a care for the outside world.
Godzira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 06:06 PM   #2
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

i found this that might help.

http://www.exedy.co.uk/media/54767/r..._explained.pdf

As for the visual portion

http://www.eai.net.au/CLUTCH3.jpg

I think to answer your question though, everything else is comparable to a push type. The only difference is that it changes the overall size of the clutch and it will change the amount of travel required before the clutch engages.

That's all the information I found.
lexluthor09 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-29-2015, 08:38 AM   #3
RS controls my life!

Thanked 1,245 Times in 274 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lexluthor09 View Post
i found this that might help.

http://www.exedy.co.uk/media/54767/r..._explained.pdf

As for the visual portion

http://www.eai.net.au/CLUTCH3.jpg

I think to answer your question though, everything else is comparable to a push type. The only difference is that it changes the overall size of the clutch and it will change the amount of travel required before the clutch engages.

That's all the information I found.

Thank you!

Basically this clutch grabs right at the top of the pedal but it doesn't slip, once it grabs it pulls hard.. I assume it's the same and its almost at the end of its life it's nice to find out a little more information.
Originally Posted by SkunkWorks View Post
I believe cars are meant to be driven. I see zero point in having a beautiful car and never driving it. Might as well have Miranda Kerr in your bed and sleeping on the ground cause you don't want to fudge her mascara...

We go through our entire lives being told what to do every step of the way. The garage was always the one place where you could indulge in your own passion, with not a care for the outside world.
Godzira is offline   Reply With Quote