REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 01-30-2015, 08:00 AM   #1
GG
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Deposit question

So long story short my dad was looking for a vehicle, so we went to the sellers house and put down a $500 deposit. The next day the vehicle got rear ended while his wife drives to work. He send me the photos and we both thought its a minor rear end which requires about $3000-4000 damage. So he agreed to take off $500 dollar off the original price.

Fast forward one week he called me back saying the car has $10g damage from ICBC appraiser, a lot of rear 1/4 panel are folded and require a shit load of man hours to cut and weld.

Now this guy and his wife are lawyers for ICBC injury claim, i told him i aint taking the car and i want my $500 back. I texted him, phoned him, left him voice mail and this guy just decides to be a dick face not answer any of my phone calls.

https://www.ic.gc.ca/eic/site/oca-bc...g/ca02478.html

I googled it up and found that anytime you put down a deposit you cant get it back? I assume you only get it back if its a dealership?

What piss me off is that i put down a deposit on a mint no accident vehicle, not some rebuilt bullshit
Advertisement
GG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 08:08 AM   #2
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Go back to the sellers house and collect the deposit?
VR6GTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 08:11 AM   #3
GG

he probably just gona tell me to go fuck myself you signed a none refundable agreement on paper blah blah blah

But ya, i must have some sort of real shitty luck, from no accident to $10g damage the next day....

you would think being a lawyer he would have a better moral, ethic. Especially he is gonna milk the shit out of ICBC with his wifes accident. their income? $10g rear ender? rings a bell?

sounds like money in the bank
They live in west van some sort of 4-5 mill house
Old 01-30-2015, 08:16 AM   #4
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 3,899 Times in 1,380 Posts
There really isn't anything you can do since it's a private sale other than small claims court. Even then it would be a tough case without anything in writing.
white rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-30-2015, 08:21 AM   #5
GG

we do have in writing, which self palms myself. Its a none refundable note signed by both party.

Again i didnt sign up for no rebuilt LOL

I asked him to lower the price since the car aint worth what it originally was, nope he wont budge shit

if the note we wrote was im only paying this X amount for the car under these conditions that the car has no accident etc etc than ya i will probably take him to small court.

Its not just about the money, its the principle. You would think a loaded lawyer would have a better morality of taking peoples money especially this type of shit happened.

Hell i was even nice enough to explain to him that no one wants this accident to happen. Why dont we both be the bigger person take a step back, and i will take 50% back of my deposit, just give me back my $250. Nope he decides to be a cunt and ignores me
Old 01-30-2015, 08:29 AM   #6

Thanked 3,899 Times in 1,380 Posts
no offence but, a lawyer with morals? what world are you living in? haha! He didn't get rich by giving stuff away. Seriously though, people are cunts when money is involved.
white rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-30-2015, 08:37 AM   #7

Thanked 2,300 Times in 556 Posts
1) What exactly does the document you signed say?
2) Why have you not driven to his house to discuss it in person?

-Dave
CCA-Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-30-2015, 08:43 AM   #8
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 4,905 Times in 1,655 Posts
That's a tricky one. If you signed a non refundable agreement, what were the terms? If it basically said "this deposit is non refundable for any reason"... Well it's pretty obvious at that point.

2021 Mustang GT PP1 6MT
dared3vil0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 08:48 AM   #9
GG

^

gonna double check today when i get home.

2) i tried everything i could, called his cell text him, and left him voicemail. Previously he always reply me really quick within 2 hrs.

I admit his house is a bit far, but thats not the real concern. He has been dodging me like a cunt, what makes you think when i visit him at his house he wont bitch out? He just gonna say sorry its none refundable. And what am i gonna do? beat him up? or set his house on fire?

Its almost pointless IMO ?
Old 01-30-2015, 08:52 AM   #10
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 4,905 Times in 1,655 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GG View Post
^

gonna double check today when i get home.

2) i tried everything i could, called his cell text him, and left him voicemail. Previously he always reply me really quick within 2 hrs.

I admit his house is a bit far, but thats not the real concern. He has been dodging me like a cunt, what makes you think when i visit him at his house he wont bitch out? He just gonna say sorry its none refundable. And what am i gonna do? beat him up? or set his house on fire?

Its almost pointless IMO ?
Well, I would highly recommend not doing this to him, especially considering he's a personal injury lawyer....

Go to his house, be polite and articulated, and see what happens. I would also call him about a half hour before you arrive, and just let him know you want to stop by to go over the deposit agreement again and have a quick discussion about it so he knows you're not banging on his door with the intent to cause harm...

2021 Mustang GT PP1 6MT
dared3vil0 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-30-2015, 09:05 AM   #11
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

I'd phone the guy, leave him another voicemail. Who knows maybe hes been alittle busy, then after 24 hrs i would phone him every 20 minutes until he picks up or changes his phone number.
If you signed an agreement saying its non refundable i don't think you have any leverage but in this case as the seller i would give the money back. But that's just me.
VR6GTI is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-30-2015, 09:16 AM   #12
GG

^

thats what i feel too.

If i was the bitch who flaked out on the deal than i wouldnt demand for the deposit back.

However this is a different case
Old 01-30-2015, 10:44 AM   #13

Thanked 2,300 Times in 556 Posts
1) What the document says is important for how you proceed, thus before I give any advice I'd want to know exactly what you signed.

2) I ask why you haven't just gone to his house, because it's a lot easier to dodge someone or avoid paying them back when you aren't dealing with it "in person". It's a lot harder to say no to someone when they are standing in your face.

I'd bring a friend or family member, even if they just sit in the car. You want a witness present. If he says he'll pay you back, but doesn't have cash on hand (reasonable), then let him know you're happy to leave once he signs this letter that you've signed.

-Dave
CCA-Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-30-2015, 02:30 PM   #14
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

i work with lawyers and most of them are a bunch of crooks when money is involved
good luck let me know how it turns out
you! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 03:05 PM   #15
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,206 Times in 385 Posts
set up a tent outside his house until he pays you to leave
sdubfid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 03:17 PM   #16

Thanked 3,235 Times in 1,221 Posts
Man some people are just cunts. Obviously when you signed it you didn't expect there to be 10k in damages put on it afterwards. Now that you obviously don't want it he's gonna be a prick over 500 bucks....

Its such a breath of fresh air when you deal with people with a conscience these days.
MarkyMark is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-30-2015, 03:18 PM   #17
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

Thanked 3,177 Times in 621 Posts
RS 2015 continues to deliver. Curious to see how this will end up.

I personally feel that the person should refund the deposit, but may be a long process if he doesn't budge.

Regardless, Good luck OP!

-2018 BMW F30 340i M Performance Edition - Current
-2016 BMW F32 435i MPPK - Traded
-2011 BMW E92 335i - SOLD
-2009 Chrysler Sebring Convertible - SOLD
xXSupa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 03:24 PM   #18
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 5,403 Times in 858 Posts
Did the agreement have terms in it that stated it's non-refundable for the car in its current condition?

After a 10k smash, it's not quite the same car as when you first laid the deposit down.
Old 01-30-2015, 03:38 PM   #19
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 5,223 Times in 1,388 Posts
Why is it that when a scam thread pops up, a bunch follow in the days after the initial post.

Someone posts something about not being refunded a deposit and another person posts about deposits, and I don't doubt there's going to be another few posts on deposits after this one either.

Is everyone just afraid to speak out or something?

[13-03, 11:25] MG1 when you hit the brakes, it shoots cum at pedestrian - bukkake

[12-03, 19:06] meme405 That e30 is so mexiflushed I thought we were in albuquerque

[12-03, 23:03] rb when i see a modded element. I have nothing but respect. either the parents kicked him out or the guy is killing hookers in the back
Akinari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 03:56 PM   #20
mb_
WUB WUB WUB WUB WUB

Thanked 7,010 Times in 1,890 Posts
2015 must just be the year of scammers

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowguy View Post
fuck you hipster
Quote:
Originally Posted by trollguy View Post
then fuck you hipster akinari
Quote:
[23-05, 11:34] FastAnna suck a dick ygay
mb_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 06:35 PM   #21
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Thanked 1,399 Times in 396 Posts
I thought I was reading this thread: http://www.revscene.net/forums/70120...r-deposit.html
but turns out it's yet another scammer
v_tec is offline   Reply With Quote