REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   Another plane crash (https://www.revscene.net/forums/701334-another-plane-crash.html)

mr_chin 02-04-2015 05:42 AM

Another plane crash

The only view you need to see of the TransAsia crash - MarketWatch

One lucky ass cab driver.

danned 02-04-2015 06:04 AM

that's terrifying

CP.AR 02-04-2015 06:12 AM

this is getting quite troublesome. are airplanes even safe anymore?

4444 02-04-2015 06:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amuro Ray (Post 8591344)

fuckign stupid thing to say, it's never been safer to fly.

50% of all accidents are human error (or some number like that) - looks like this is human error, air asia appears to be human error, the malaysia air over ukraine was human action.

flying is fine, humans are the problem. and we also fly so much more now that in absolute terms shit will happen more, but relatively it's never been safer

TOS'd 02-04-2015 06:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4444 (Post 8591352)

50% of all accidents are human error (or some number like that) - looks like this is human error, air asia appears to be human error, the malaysia air over ukraine was human action.

flying is fine, humans are the problem. and we also fly so much more now that in absolute terms shit will happen more, but relatively it's never been safer

I disagree with your comment. With Amuro Ray at the controls, it's pretty unsafe.

melloman 02-04-2015 06:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amuro Ray (Post 8591344)

Quote:

I'm still not going to be stepping onto any of these random ass Asian airlines.. TransAsia, MalaysianAir, AirAsia... :fuckthatshit:

Pay more money = get bigger name plane, hope it won't crash. :fullofwin:

punkwax 02-04-2015 06:50 AM

Quote:

Soo.... how can one fly without a human there to cause an accident? :concentrate:

Stealthy 02-04-2015 06:57 AM

Car crashes happen everyday, is it even safe to drive anymore

Habboy 02-04-2015 06:58 AM

Damn...video is "Private" now....under investigation me thinks. I am always terrified when I fly....this just pushes that button further, ugh!

GabAlmighty 02-04-2015 07:10 AM

Hahaha, be afraid... Be very afraid...

TOS'd 02-04-2015 07:18 AM

Video can still be found on this page: Taiwan TransAsia plane crash: Watch shocking moment aircraft drops from sky and hits bridge - Mirror Online

Habboy 02-04-2015 07:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TOS'd (Post 8591371)

Ok, watched it, effed up!!!

I hate flying :heckno:

GLOW 02-04-2015 08:29 AM

i assumed AR was being sarcastic since he flies boony planes to boony locations for a living

meme405 02-04-2015 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by punkwax (Post 8591357)
Soo.... how can one fly without a human there to cause an accident? :concentrate:

They have the technology to allow autopilot to do all the functions of a pilot, and most people understand that theoretically the computer flying is statistically safer than a human. The problem is, if they told you that you were going to get on a plane which didn't have a pilot, would you be okay with that? As irrational as it is I wouldn't feel comfortable.

BrRsn 02-04-2015 09:10 AM

http://i.imgur.com/7yEaQsX.jpg

InvisibleSoul 02-04-2015 10:18 AM

twitchyzero 02-04-2015 12:54 PM

blurry but from the car that's behind the cab

most passengers on board were mainlander tourists. This is very troubling for transasia...they just had a crash less than 6 months ago that killed 48...as if it's trying to outdo China Airlines notorious record of 700+ casualties :(

Top 10 Most Dangerous Airlines

Excelsis 02-04-2015 04:16 PM

that's one lucky cab driver..

where's denzel when you need him

Verdasco 02-04-2015 05:14 PM

search captain sullenberger, dude is a hero.

FUck small airlines, these big airlines mostly hire people from the military

pastarocket 02-04-2015 05:26 PM

-just saw the CBC news anchor (asian dude) interview a commercial pilot about the emergency protocol a pilot follows in these situations.

Protocol: 1) Pilot quickly attempts turning on and off the engine to get it to work.
2) Pilot or co-pilot cuts off the fuel if engine doesn't turn on to prevent explosion upon crashing.
3) Pilot or co-pilot makes a distress call to the control tower to request emergency services and provide location.

You'll notice from the video of the plane when it crashes that there's no huge fireball from an explosion. Fuel cutoff by the pilot?

It's a miracle that there are twelve survivors, including one infant, from the crash.

My guess is that one of the plane's engines stopped working.

Some of these regional Chinese airlines have spotty maintenance done on their planes. -remember seeing this huge number of wires sticking out of an overhead panel near my seat of an East China airlines plane. :heckno:

hud 91gt 02-04-2015 07:06 PM

Quote:

It's more like 95%. Even if the plane has a mechanical error it's pilot error. The pilot didn't deal with the failure correctly. The only time this isn't correct is in an absolute catastrophic failure where there was no chance to save it. Although the investigation would probably say something like the pilots should have noticed on their walk around etc... Always pilot error. Always.

If you've done any sort of research into airplane accidents, it is never one issue which caused the crash. But a combination of small things, which on their own don't bring down and a/c. It's when they are combined a disaster can happens.

Flying in Asia is scary. I tell my family not too, but for some reason I still do it myself, probably because I know the risk is still relatively low. Although higher with some of these airlines.

Akinari 02-04-2015 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pastarocket (Post 8591624)
-just saw the CBC news anchor (asian dude) interview a commercial pilot about the emergency protocol a pilot follows in these situations.

Protocol: 1) Pilot quickly attempts turning on and off the engine to get it to work.
2) Pilot or co-pilot cuts off the fuel if engine doesn't turn on to prevent explosion upon crashing.
3) Pilot or co-pilot makes a distress call to the control tower to request emergency services and provide location.

You'll notice from the video of the plane when it crashes that there's no huge fireball from an explosion. Fuel cutoff by the pilot?

It's a miracle that there are twelve survivors, including one infant, from the crash.

My guess is that one of the plane's engines stopped working.

Some of these regional Chinese airlines have spotty maintenance done on their planes. -remember seeing this huge number of wires sticking out of an overhead panel near my seat of an East China airlines plane. :heckno:

My mum used to work for China Airlines as a flight attendant (Taiwanese-based, nothing to do with Mainland China) and she cites the lower-than-average maintenance standards for certain Chinese, Taiwanese, and Southeast Asian airlines from European and North American maintenance standards we see. Now, this was around 25-30 years ago so perhaps things have changed...

From what I understand, left engine flamed out, pilot performed the necessary mayday procedures, avoided all buildings and structures but could not avoid the bridge, crashed in an open area away from people.

46_valentinor 02-04-2015 09:39 PM

I know for light prop twins, you lose 70% of power when one engine becomes inoperative. So I'm guessing, the pilot didn't have enough altitude to turn back for the runway and had to sacrifice airspeed to maintain altitude. Airspeed drops below VMC then the operating engine's yawing effect overpowers the corrective inputs from the pilots. Shorty after, the yawing causes the plane to bank and then stalls.

To be honest, I think the pilots did a great job flying away from populated areas as best they can, since that airport is located in the centre of Taipei. And their extremely lucky to have the plane hit the river, because once the plane stalls like that, the plane is flying them and not the other way around.

underscore 02-04-2015 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by meme405 (Post 8591399)
They have the technology to allow autopilot to do all the functions of a pilot, and most people understand that theoretically the computer flying is statistically safer than a human. The problem is, if they told you that you were going to get on a plane which didn't have a pilot, would you be okay with that? As irrational as it is I wouldn't feel comfortable.

Realistically, the pilot is only there in case something goes wrong. And when things do go wrong, that's when a pilot is earning their money.

4444 02-04-2015 11:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by underscore (Post 8591771)
Realistically, the pilot is only there in case something goes wrong. And when things do go wrong, that's when a pilot is earning their money.

having said that, with all the automation of flying, there is a group of thought that pilots aren't as capable and ready to act, as they act so much less than before.

an interesting issue, certainly - i'd still rather have computer control with human review than complete human control (unless denzel is flying it... drunk).

as for asian airlines - if the airline can't fly in US airspace, I won't fly on it. that's the only way to decrease your risk from shit maintenance.

a friend of mine who flies A340s recommends I fly with non asian pilots (not racist) as he says it's a cultural thing for the co pilot to not speak up LOAD if something is wrong, as was seen in the SF Aseana crash those years ago, co pilot spoke up/warned, but pilot knocked him down, then crashed.