REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Technical Discussion > Maintenance, Engine & Driveline Tech

Maintenance, Engine & Driveline Tech This forum is brought to you by The Speed Syndicate (TSS) in Burnaby.
Discussion of maintaining your engine, transmission, differentails, rear ends, and mods associated with "driveline" parts..

Old 02-06-2015, 03:39 PM   #1
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Re-surfacing dual-mass flywheel?

I've read most machine shops can't or won't do it properly. Does anyone do this in the 604? Its an 04 Acura TL.

Thanks
Advertisement
ninjatune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 04:24 PM   #2
Head of HR....have a seat on that couch

Thanked 15,586 Times in 4,318 Posts
Call Alec's Automotive on Fraser/King Ed.

Originally posted by v.b.
can we stop, my pussy hurts...
Originally posted by asian_XL
fliptuner, I am gonna grab ur dick and pee in your face, then rub shit all over my face...:lol
Originally posted by Fei-Ji
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Originally posted by FastAnna
when I was 13 I wanted to be a video hoe so bad

RSUV #7
fliptuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 07:18 PM   #3
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

I just had mine done by Terry @ TBR, Graybar Road in Richmond
ApePee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 07:21 PM   #4

^mind how much you paid? and for what type of car? thanks! Oh, also what TBR stands for, I live in the boonies.
Old 02-06-2015, 07:28 PM   #5
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

No problem.
$70 and change. S2000. Terry Bride Racing, its right off of Hwy 91 on the Richmond side of the Alex Fraser Bridge.
ApePee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 08:52 AM   #6

thanks a bunch
Old 02-07-2015, 08:59 AM   #7
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 1,276 Times in 308 Posts
Can dual mass flywheels even be properly resurfaced?

I've searched online and have found everything from no they can't, they can if the shop has the right kind of lathe and dual mass flywheel manufacturers explicitly say their dm flywheel can not be resurfaced.

I ended up replacing my dm with a single and I get chatter and noise, but I can live with it.
IMASA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 11:13 AM   #8
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApePee2 View Post
No problem.
$70 and change. S2000. Terry Bride Racing, its right off of Hwy 91 on the Richmond side of the Alex Fraser Bridge.
Does the S2000 have a dual mass flywheel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMASA View Post
Can dual mass flywheels even be properly resurfaced?

I've searched online and have found everything from no they can't, they can if the shop has the right kind of lathe and dual mass flywheel manufacturers explicitly say their dm flywheel can not be resurfaced.
They can be "properly" machined if they have specialized equipment/adapter/cutting fluid (apparently you have to use a special water-based fluid that does not react with the internals of the dual mass flywheel) that hold and center the contact portion of the DMF. Usually the resurfacing machine holds a regular flywheel by the where it mount on to the crankshaft.

I say "properly" because there is always a method of getting it done, but like you said manufacturers specifically states not to resurface. Even if the contact surface CAN be resurfaced perfectly flat, there are other components within the DMF that are considered wear-and-tear (such as the springs, dampened, isolator, etc) that are fatigued and/or damaged. Even if they are OK now and does not show signs of excessive play, they may not last another 100,000kms or however long the service interval is for the clutch material.

Another thing you have to consider is that a dealer/transmission shop/mechanic may not be willing to install your resurfaced DMF, and if they did they probably would not offer any warranty. There's just too many things that may go wrong that it's a liability for them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMASA View Post
I ended up replacing my dm with a single and I get chatter and noise, but I can live with it.
People who replace their DMF with a single mass flywheel will generally use a replacement clutch disc that was originally designed for a DMF setup, which is usually a clutch disc that is unsprung. That leaves nothing that will dampen the shock and vibration.
Old 02-12-2015, 06:54 AM   #9
RS controls my life!

As far as i remember, s2000 is a normal flywheel. But stepped opposite than most other honda's
Old 02-12-2015, 11:13 AM   #10
RS controls my life!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puck Luck View Post
As far as i remember, s2000 is a normal flywheel. But stepped opposite than most other honda's
Yup, S2000 uses a normal flywheel, except it is a pull type clutch instead of a push type.
Old 02-21-2015, 08:01 PM   #11

whoever resurfaces a dual mass flywheel needs to have a lathe with a very big chuck. there is no other way of resurfacing them. clamping it by the hub and using a standard flywheel resurfacing table (such as the one Alec's has) will NOT work. alec's sends theirs out to some non automotive machine shop...
fng@regencyauto.com
narfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 09:54 AM   #12

Would it be safe to say that Alecs and TBR would be the go to shops for lightening and balancing as well?

fliptuner, I am gonna grab ur dick and pee in your face, then rub shit all over my face...:lol

RSUV #7
Old 03-23-2015, 08:16 PM   #13

i'm not sure if Alec's can lighten a flywheel much. if it's a dual mass flywheel, they cannot be lightened. even if someone can lighten it, they may not be able to balance it.

14 years ago was the last time i lightened a flywheel (stock AW11 200mm unit), we took 2 lbs off the back side and back edge of it with a brake lathe, then sent it to b&j and had grant balance it.

BandJ Parts if
fng@regencyauto.com
narfy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-23-2015, 08:27 PM   #14

Did they balance it as an assembly (flywheel, disc, PP) or just the flywheel?

I just dropped mine off at TBR to machine and lighten it, then see if it could be balanced as an assembly.

RSUV #7