REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 04-16-2015, 01:30 PM   #451
I am grateful grapefruit

I just remember seeing quite a few people in Paris fitting two through the gates at a time - even with an attendant nearby. In London, only the the stations in zone 1-3 generally have gates, and only busiest will have people manning them. The stations in zones 4-7 generally don't even have gates, and it's just using the honour system.

But like Hypediss says - it's your ROI, if you're spending 100 million to get back 50 million in lost fares, you're still losing 50 million.

Even with faregates - you can't afford to have an attendent/security at every gate at all hours.
Advertisement
Old 04-16-2015, 01:40 PM   #452
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,312 Times in 5,633 Posts
What was the compas card final cost? 500 million?

Every transit guard making 80k+?

Skytrain has a fraction of the stops that these major metros have. Beating a dead horse here but just highlights the problems
Old 04-17-2015, 10:20 PM   #453
My homepage has been set to RS

What should have been done is to have the turnstyle and/or gate system way back in 1986 when the original system was built. I can't think of any Asian, European, or North American subway system I've visited that have had zero physical deterrence to entry.

If there's a perception that things are free, people will take advantage of the system. Over the 30 years Skytrain has been in operation, it's near impossible to tell how many people didn't pay for using the system but you can guess that it was a pretty significant amount. And now the Compass system is much more expensive because you have to do the entire system and the there was absolutely nothing before it. Or they have to hire more transit police to actually police the non paying riders which isn't a good bang for the buck investment.

Regarding the other issues about Translink, I'm actually less critical of.
The issue of the Translink CEO getting paid more than NYC, Seattle, Toronto, etc is a bit of a false issue as those cities do not have a single organization that runs their entire system. If you combine them all, Seattle has 9 CEO's, NYC has over 20 organizations, all with high paying CEO's.

https://darylvsworld.wordpress.com/2...link-exec-pay/

And as far as options to fund this project, it does seem to be more equitable in that everyone pays. If it was a road tax of some sort, only the drivers would be responsible. If it was an increase in property tax, only homeowners would be paying. At least with the sales tax increase, every single person in the region pays - including people from out of town, tourists, etc.
Adrenaline Rush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 10:32 PM   #454
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
^What are you doing introducing reason and facts? There's no place for that here!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 10:58 PM   #455
Wanna have a threesome?

Thanked 5,054 Times in 1,657 Posts
One of the central complaints the public holds against our current transit system is the zone system for fares, which is one of the reasons the Compass Card is being introduced; it creates the framework for the introduction of a distance system for fares in addition to addressing fare evasion. It is this versatility that causes the Compass Card program to cost so much in comparison to the cheaper but more limited alternative of fare gates.
MindBomber is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-23-2015, 02:46 PM   #456
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MindBomber View Post
One of the central complaints the public holds against our current transit system is the zone system for fares, which is one of the reasons the Compass Card is being introduced; it creates the framework for the introduction of a distance system for fares in addition to addressing fare evasion. It is this versatility that causes the Compass Card program to cost so much in comparison to the cheaper but more limited alternative of fare gates.
Speaking of which...TransLink considering one-zone fare for buses - British Columbia - CBC News

For the record, I voted "yes" the day I received my package (March 23rd). I won't say much about my justification on this forum, however, because I'll just get torn apart.

I will say that the "no" side is fuelled by red meat populism and the Canadian Koch Brother known as Jordan Bateman. You want red meat populism? Go to Toronto and see how Ford Nation has wrecked the GTA. John Tory is only going to give the coup de grâce. And it was all fuelled by a suburban populist revolt, facilitated by municipal amalgamation.

Reading through this thread has simultaneously horrified and humoured me. You guys are voting no because you want Translink to become more accountable, and yet I would bet my house that you'd vote back in the party that turned Translink into a mess in the 2017 provincial election.

TL;DR: Fuck the CTF and fuck Christy Clark.
GojiraBNR34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 03:08 PM   #457
MiX iT Up!

Thanked 2,066 Times in 865 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GojiraBNR34 View Post
Speaking of which...TransLink considering one-zone fare for buses - British Columbia - CBC News

For the record, I voted "yes" the day I received my package (March 23rd). I won't say much about my justification on this forum, however, because I'll just get torn apart.

I will say that the "no" side is fuelled by red meat populism and the Canadian Koch Brother known as Jordan Bateman. You want red meat populism? Go to Toronto and see how Ford Nation has wrecked the GTA. John Tory is only going to give the coup de grâce. And it was all fuelled by a suburban populist revolt, facilitated by municipal amalgamation.

Reading through this thread has simultaneously horrified and humoured me. You guys are voting no because you want Translink to become more accountable, and yet I would bet my house that you'd vote back in the party that turned Translink into a mess in the 2017 provincial election.

TL;DR: Fuck the CTF and fuck Christy Clark.

When people in BC vote, we are not voting for who's gonna have our backs...

We are trying to pick who will stab us in the back the least number of times... we are going to be screwed either way unless there is 3rd alternative that has some balls.

When should I come by to pick up the title docs to your house?

Sometimes we tend to be in despair when the person we love leaves us, but the truth is, it's not our loss, but theirs, for they left the only person who couldn't give up on them.

Make the effort and take the risk..

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't." - Eleanor Roosevelt
tiger_handheld is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-02-2015, 09:14 AM   #458
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 3,680 Times in 1,522 Posts
lol aaaaaand no side wins.
6o4__boi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 09:19 AM   #459
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 3,842 Times in 879 Posts
fucking short sighted Hicks voting no. This will be the death of you all.
EmperorIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 09:22 AM   #460
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Transit plebiscite results: No side wins with 61 per cent - BC | Globalnews.ca
fsy82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 09:22 AM   #461

Almost every city has voted No. Only close ones were city of vancouver and city of new west.

richmond was 72% no
Old 07-02-2015, 09:23 AM   #462

lol shiver me timbers.

watch mayors council say fuck it and raise taxes, introduce new taxes and up property taxes anyways
This post thanked by:
Old 07-02-2015, 09:25 AM   #463
My homepage has been set to RS

Only down hill from here folks.

Not surprised though, the yes side did a terrible job campaigning.
Liquid_o2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 09:26 AM   #464
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,288 Times in 2,506 Posts
3 quick numbers that caught my attention:

- almost 62% of the voters told TransLink to go fxxk themselves
- almost 49% of the voters casted their mail in ballot
- $5.8M of taxpayers money was wasted by the Mayor's Council and TransLink to promote this lost cause

I am betting that this imbecile of an organization is still not going to learn a single thing coming out of this plebiscite.
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-02-2015, 09:26 AM   #465

Belcarra, Bowen Island and Greater Vancouver Electoral Area A the only ones that voted yes.

in case you were wondering where GVE Area A is...
https://www.google.ca/search?q=great...hrome&ie=UTF-8

i think we can all agree that they voted yes just to fuck with everyone.
This post thanked by:
Old 07-02-2015, 09:26 AM   #466

The translink needs to restructure themselves. isnt their former CEO still getting paid even after getting fired??
This post thanked by:
Old 07-02-2015, 09:27 AM   #467
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,288 Times in 2,506 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6o4__boi View Post
lol shiver me timbers.

watch mayors council say fuck it and raise taxes, introduce new taxes and up property taxes anyways
Do you really think they won't do that even if the plebsite passed?
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 09:34 AM   #468

either way we're shafted lol
at least we now know where the voters opinions are...only costed some millions of dollars
and now the "yes" knights are popping up all over my newsfeed condemning anyone who voted "no"

This post thanked by:
Old 07-02-2015, 09:38 AM   #469
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 6,689 Times in 1,624 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmperorIS View Post
Well done, insulting and cursing all those who didn't vote as you wanted them to.

Democracy, yay!

Anyway, fuck Translink.
inv4zn is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-02-2015, 09:40 AM   #470
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 7,170 Times in 2,403 Posts
Say hello to higher gas prices as they hike the carbon tax.
2010 Toyota Rav4 Limited V6 - Wifey's Daily Driver
2009 BMW 128i - Daily Driver
2007 Toyota Rav4 Sport V6 - Sold
1999 Mazda Miata - Sold
2003 Mazda Protege5 - Sold
1987 BMW 325is - Sold
1990 Mazda Miata - Sold

100% Buy and Sell Feedback
sonick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 09:48 AM   #471
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 3,814 Times in 957 Posts
Watch property owners take a hit with property taxes hike first.
flagella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 09:49 AM   #472

now that we've established everybody hates the idea of hiked taxes for translink
prepare your anus
"I have a lot of beliefs, and I live by none of them. They're just my beliefs, they make me feel good about who I am. But if they get in the way of a thing I want, like I wanna jack off or something, I just do that."
This post thanked by:
Old 07-02-2015, 10:20 AM   #473
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,132 Times in 7,145 Posts
Quote:
You fucking idiot. I'll gladly pay more taxes when my money is spent properly. Plus, transit taxes certainly won't "be the death of us." My household lives a 20 minute walk from work, and if we don't in the future, we will find a new job or move. I'm not some right wing fuck that is flabbergasted at the government taking my money for things I don't use. I'd gladly pay more taxes for better healthcare, schooling, transit, affordable housing, etc, but I as most other voters involved, aren't interested in funding a fuck show of spending.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.

Last edited by westopher; 07-02-2015 at 10:31 AM.
westopher is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-02-2015, 10:45 AM   #474
...in the world.

Thanked 7,636 Times in 2,321 Posts
Quote:
Why? Because we won't throw money down the black hole that is Translink?

The money isn't a big deal. We can all afford 0.5% but I'll be fucked if we're going to reward Translink with more money for years of ineptitude and poor decisions.

There's no accountability at Translink. Much like Christy Clark, they just do what they do and when we call them out on it, they just pretend like everything is fine like we're idiots that can't see properly.

Forget it. I don't take transit. I live 10 minutes from work. I'm not paying more so a bunch of idiots can believe they haven't done anything wrong.
Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 11:00 AM   #475
GS8
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 7,252 Times in 1,965 Posts
You know, I like many other people in this District work very very hard for my money. The cost of living here is stupid, caters to the rich and us blue collar types have to watch our wallets because our wages don't exactly scream 'value'.

I don't mind paying higher taxes if it meant strengthening the infrastructure to make life a little easier for everyone who goes through the daily grind.

So maybe I should be more outraged that the Yes side decided to spend $5.8M of our tax contributions to what was a wasted effort. We're not talking about $1 mill, we're talking about almost $6 mill (not including the final tally which could exceed $8 mill).

Yeah, they'll find a way around it all seeing as they're all in bed with each other. Fuck these jackass politicians.
GS8 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: