REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 03-17-2015, 03:17 PM   #276
I keep RS good

Thanked 5,538 Times in 1,502 Posts
arent they gonna build a broadway line?

so if we vote yes, that means everyone else outside vancouver has to pay for it as well right?

isn't that a good thing (for the people of vancouver lol).

I think this is just their way of asking "can we get your money this way?"
and if we vote no, they're just gonna take it another way.

They're gonna get their money no matter what. No question about it.
Advertisement
Ulic Qel-Droma is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-17-2015, 04:23 PM   #277
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Thanked 1,536 Times in 427 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yodamaster View Post
I still don't see why Translink is in charge of roads AND public transit, obviously they are too disorganized to handle both.
Translink was never intended to be in charge of roads. They were just slapped on with the responsibility to. If they were just in charge of transit only, Translink would be better off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulic Qel-Droma View Post
arent they gonna build a broadway line?

so if we vote yes, that means everyone else outside vancouver has to pay for it as well right?

isn't that a good thing (for the people of vancouver lol).

I think this is just their way of asking "can we get your money this way?"
and if we vote no, they're just gonna take it another way.

They're gonna get their money no matter what. No question about it.

the way i saw it was that its only 32cents or whatever it is a day. or increase in fuel tax and property tax or whatever else translink has a hand in.
SoNaRWaVe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 04:43 PM   #278
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 5,568 Times in 2,107 Posts
I wouldn't mind paying 0.5% more tax (despite not living in Vancouver) if it was put to good use.

Translink is too much of a mess to support it.
Jmac is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-17-2015, 08:07 PM   #279
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,157 Times in 954 Posts
B.C. Transport Minister rules out TransLink reform - The Globe and Mail

Quote:
British Columbia’s Transportation Minister has ruled out any reforms to the controversial Vancouver region transit authority to help mayors and their allies win a plebiscite on a new tax to finance transit expansion, dismissing concerns about the issue as a “red herring.”

Todd Stone’s comments Tuesday come amid polls and public comment that suggest anger over TransLink is driving some voters to oppose the proposal to add 0.5 per cent in the Lower Mainland to the 7-per-cent provincial sales tax, to raise money for such new projects as a new Vancouver subway and light rail in Surrey.

“At this point in time, the province has no plans to make any further improvements to governance at TransLink. This particular issue, we believe, is a red herring in this campaign and we believe it’s a distraction,” Mr. Stone told reporters during a news conference in Stanley Park.
Quote:
Also Tuesday, the minister restated a provincial government commitment to fund one-third of the cost of new rapid-transit projects and the Pattullo Bridge as long as they be accommodated within the province’s fiscal plan and are supported by a business case. The province and mayors are hoping for another third from the federal government and other funds would come from local sources.

So the province has their $2.5B ready to go (as do the feds more or less) but when it comes to the local portion they deny the local group every option for additional funding and force a referendum? FFS.
Old 03-18-2015, 07:15 AM   #280
VLS Head Mod

Didn't read other pages but if the province has those how ever many millions of dollars to install fencing for seawall bike lanes why can't they just put that towards skytrain or bridge infrastructure? I could care less about a fence to divide bikers and pedestrians
REMEMBER:-->RS is a place for car enthusiasts to come and get together because of their intrest and love for cars. Hating is not an option-take your immaturity elsewhere!

----///-\\\----Put This
---|||---|||---On Your
---|||---|||---profile If
---|||---|||---You Know
----\\\-///----Someone
-----\\///-----Who has died
------///\-----Of
-----///\\\----Cancer
----///--\\\-----Or whom maybe suffering from it
saucywoman is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-18-2015, 07:31 AM   #281
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by saucywoman View Post
Didn't read other pages but if the province has those how ever many millions of dollars to install fencing for seawall bike lanes why can't they just put that towards skytrain or bridge infrastructure? I could care less about a fence to divide bikers and pedestrians
Because moonbean wants to make bike lanes better.
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-18-2015, 07:39 AM   #282
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,157 Times in 954 Posts
Quote:
Pretty different scale of costs. I'd guess (please correct if there's more info on this) that the fencing etc runs in the low teens of millions. The transit project is a total of $7.5B with the smallest of them at least tens of millions to set up then operate (with more op cost after)
Old 03-18-2015, 09:47 AM   #283
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,451 Times in 1,123 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp View Post
Because moonbean wants to make bike lanes better.
Bike lanes are not as big of a problem as people think they are.

You know what causes traffic congestion, particularly in downtown Vancouver? I would say pedestrians. Pedestrians living and working in downtown Vancouver don't seem to follow pedestrian lights because they're looking into their phones and have headphones on when they're at crosswalks.

My daily commute into downtown Vancouver is pretty smooth until the viaduct. Pedestrians at the corner of Beatty and Dunsmir keep walking, even when the lights are red. No one wants to talk about it because it's far easier to blame something tangible, like a bike lane, than to blame ourselves.
Tapioca is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 03-18-2015, 10:29 AM   #284
linguistic ninja

Thanked 3,342 Times in 1,214 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapioca View Post
Bike lanes are not as big of a problem as people think they are.

You know what causes traffic congestion, particularly in downtown Vancouver? I would say pedestrians. Pedestrians living and working in downtown Vancouver don't seem to follow pedestrian lights because they're looking into their phones and have headphones on when they're at crosswalks.

My daily commute into downtown Vancouver is pretty smooth until the viaduct. Pedestrians at the corner of Beatty and Dunsmir keep walking, even when the lights are red. No one wants to talk about it because it's far easier to blame something tangible, like a bike lane, than to blame ourselves.
Really? Do Pedestrians block all right turns from Dunsmuir, causing traffic that would normally turn-off to go the long way around? Do Pedestrians cause a huge line up on Hornby due to the advance green given to the 2 or 3 bikes that actually show up?

I think reducing capacity by 1/3 for 2 major downtown routes is the biggest culprit. More than a few errant walkers on their cellphone.

Still a card carrying member of the SFC :)
CivicBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-18-2015, 10:31 AM   #285
Need to Seek Professional Help

Thanked 1,820 Times in 501 Posts
Quote:
Dumbest fucking thing I've read all day (the article, not your post lol).

So because of one or two accidents where - most likely - the cyclist was speeding and/or riding too close to a pedestrian and an altercation ensued, they are spending $7 million. But countless auto accidents happen each day, many people of whom are injured/killed etc., and nobody seems to care or remedy the issue. Instead, it seems too unreasonable to tell cyclists to do what the average motorist does when there is a stretch of road that is a little more "dangerous"... SLOW DOWN AND DRIVE/RIDE CAUTIOUSLY. So let's waste more of taxpayer money alleviating the need for common sense and courtesy.

I go to UBC and see the same thing on Main Mall every fucking day. Despite signs saying "Pedestrian Zone, Cyclists Slow" I always see a handful of close calls every day from entitled douche canoes who think they can just cut close and swerve around pedestrians.
Tone Loc is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-18-2015, 10:41 AM   #286
YOU CANT CUT BACK ON FUNDING! YOU WILL REGRET THIS

Thanked 3,092 Times in 1,038 Posts
HOW MUCH MONEY DOES TRANSLINK NEED
JESUS CHRIST
Old 03-18-2015, 10:57 AM   #287
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amuro Ray View Post
JESUS CHRIST
All of it
Tr1ll is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-18-2015, 10:57 AM   #288

Thanked 7,759 Times in 2,313 Posts
So the causeway was way too sensitive an environment to sacrifice a small portion of to add one additional lane of vehicle travel. So that hundreds of thousands of people wouldn't be inconvenienced by this ridiculous alternating lane crap.

But 1 cyclists dies in a freak accident, and the entire world decides that "fuck the causeway, we need to widen the sidewalks and add these ugly safety barriers to save like 1 life every 25 years.

I'm generally a big proponent for pro-active safety measures, but this is just ridiculous.

Everyone in here should be pissed off to the max, because when everything else on the bridge was redone not too many years ago, they installed all those brand new lane change markers and cameras, and all that infrastructure at a pretty big cost.

But now all of that will likely need to be ripped out and re-done yet again because of this rather pointless exercise.

EDIT: It's also worthwhile to point out that the discussion of safety barriers was brought up initially when the bridge was renovated, and the government decided not to go through with the fencing because of the visual appearance was not a good tradeoff.

Barney Fucking Purple FX35
Brianna - 2008 FX35 - Build Thread
meme405 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-18-2015, 12:12 PM   #289
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,782 Times in 2,491 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amuro Ray View Post
JESUS CHRIST
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tr1ll View Post
All of it
this is translink:

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 01:23 PM   #290
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,478 Times in 1,679 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by supafamous View Post
B.C. Transport Minister rules out TransLink reform - The Globe and Mail

So the province has their $2.5B ready to go (as do the feds more or less) but when it comes to the local portion they deny the local group every option for additional funding and force a referendum? FFS.
This news shows you that the B.C. government is not listening to people at all when it comes to Translink reform.

Do they think that we are a bunch of stupid sheep who will pay whatever is necessary for transportation upgrades. Screw them!!!
Old 03-18-2015, 04:02 PM   #291
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,238 Times in 5,599 Posts
the mayor of west van who is an adament NO was just on that Jill krop news show with Randene, he brought up a bunch of great points, wish i could have a link but i'll try to summarize

A) The "mayors council" who is apparently behind the suggestions and decisions regarding the translink approach and projects within their given cities has not met with the translink board in over 3 years. He said he has never seen documentation nor video of the meetings and what takes place there.

B) throughout Canada, translink already has the best funding system in this entire nation according to him. Housing tax, gas levi's, public and private interest groups, he said that almost none of the major transportation systems in Canada rely on such a steady income. He said that in west van [although not surpsing] each resident pays a $800 housing tax that goes directly to translink.

C) he again pointed out, which is pretty obvious to most, that even with jimmy P's appointment with his "overseeing comitee" not once have they actually come out and gave a sniff of what the plans are, or how the money is to be used.

also a whole bunch of other stuff regarding there being a MP from kelowna and one from Vernon on the board of directors, etc. etc.

let alone all the prior incompetence shown by this organization lol.. jesus
Old 03-18-2015, 06:23 PM   #292
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

voting NO
Ludepower is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-18-2015, 08:17 PM   #293
MiX iT Up!

Thanked 2,066 Times in 865 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by meme405 View Post
So the causeway was way too sensitive an environment to sacrifice a small portion of to add one additional lane of vehicle travel. So that hundreds of thousands of people wouldn't be inconvenienced by this ridiculous alternating lane crap.

But 1 cyclists dies in a freak accident, and the entire world decides that "fuck the causeway, we need to widen the sidewalks and add these ugly safety barriers to save like 1 life every 25 years.

I'm generally a big proponent for pro-active safety measures, but this is just ridiculous.

Everyone in here should be pissed off to the max, because when everything else on the bridge was redone not too many years ago, they installed all those brand new lane change markers and cameras, and all that infrastructure at a pretty big cost.

But now all of that will likely need to be ripped out and re-done yet again because of this rather pointless exercise.

EDIT: It's also worthwhile to point out that the discussion of safety barriers was brought up initially when the bridge was renovated, and the government decided not to go through with the fencing because of the visual appearance was not a good tradeoff.

I think we had another poster earlier talking about operational inefficiencies and linking to a internal review - i wonder if he knows about this waste of resources.

Sometimes we tend to be in despair when the person we love leaves us, but the truth is, it's not our loss, but theirs, for they left the only person who couldn't give up on them.

Make the effort and take the risk..

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't." - Eleanor Roosevelt
tiger_handheld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 10:53 PM   #294
Need to Seek Professional Help

Thanked 1,820 Times in 501 Posts
Got my ballot in the mail today, I'm sure others - if you haven't received yours already - will be in the mail soon.

Everyone, regardless of your position, please go and VOTE. You have no right to bitch and complain if you don't.
Tone Loc is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-19-2015, 12:19 AM   #295

Thanked 2,732 Times in 1,168 Posts
Got mine in the mail too. They can expect my/family's NO vote the second it becomes live.
Old 03-19-2015, 01:27 AM   #296
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

received mail, ticked NO walked to mailbox. All in a minute
tylenol is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-19-2015, 07:06 AM   #297
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 3,680 Times in 1,522 Posts
i can't wait to get this in the mail, i'd tick no all day if i could
i've been working my ass off making sure everyone in my network ticks no as soon as they get it
6o4__boi is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-19-2015, 08:15 AM   #298
HELP ME PLS!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkyColdMedina View Post
Everyone, regardless of your position, please go and VOTE. You have no right to bitch and complain if you don't.

I am against popular opinion on this. Living in the 'free world' it's your choice to not vote if you don't want to.

If you don't believe any of the options are viable to you, why would you vote for something you don't believe in?

*its not the size of your army that matters; it's the fury of it's onslaught!*

█♣█
carisear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 08:57 AM   #299
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 6,687 Times in 1,624 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by carisear View Post
I am against popular opinion on this. Living in the 'free world' it's your choice to not vote if you don't want to.

If you don't believe any of the options are viable to you, why would you vote for something you don't believe in?
Because there is always the lesser of two evils.

And anyway, you're right - you don't have to vote. But it's my opinion, and of many others, that if you don't vote, you forfeit your privilege of complaining.
inv4zn is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-19-2015, 09:06 AM   #300
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 3,680 Times in 1,522 Posts
because it's your civic duty to participate in democracy
yeah that's sounds cheesy but i'm sick of pretentious assholes in my social environment who ramble on about not voting and/or spoiling their ballot like they're some kind of fucking know-it-all hero. What, are you above the process of voting?

That's just my opinion on that. Maybe there are the odd one or two individuals who actually know what they're doing when they choose not to vote but a clear majority are motherfucking moronic imbeciles who think they're "better" than everyone else with their fucking utopian ideals.
6o4__boi is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: