REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Police Forum

Police Forum Police Head Mod: Skidmark
Questions & info about the Motor Vehicle Act. Mature discussion only.

Old 02-09-2015, 03:05 AM   #1
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Police Policy Re: Use Of Lights & Sirens

Hoping someone on this board can satisfy my curiosity.

What is the general police policy on using lights and sirens?

In other words: can an officer use his patrol car's lights/sirens at his discretion when on duty, or is there a rule that they're only to be used conducting a traffic stop or enroute to an emergency call?

What prompted me to ask this question was an instance last week, where I was passed by a marked police car at reasonably high speed (ie. 80-90kph in a 50 zone) without any lights or sirens. It didn't really bother me at the time -- this was on a major road that can easily be driven safely at 80kph -- but 2 minutes later, I saw the same officer pulling someone over in what appeared to be a routine traffic stop.

Was he breaking the rules by blatantly speeding without lights/sirens? Or is that allowed if the officer deems it safe/necessary?

Thanks in advance!
Advertisement
Amaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 06:02 AM   #2
I bringith the lowerballerith

http://www.bclaws.ca/Recon/document/...eside/96318_00

Quote:
Exemption for emergency vehicles
122 (1) Despite anything in this Part, but subject to subsections (2) and (4), a driver of an emergency vehicle may do the following:

(a) exceed the speed limit;
(b) proceed past a red traffic control signal or stop sign without stopping;
(c) disregard rules and traffic control devices governing direction of movement or turning in specified directions;
(d) stop or stand.
(2) The driver of an emergency vehicle must not exercise the privileges granted by subsection (1) except in accordance with the regulations.
(3) [Repealed 1997-30-2.]
(4) The driver of an emergency vehicle exercising a privilege granted by subsection (1) must drive with due regard for safety, having regard to all the circumstances of the case, including the following:
(a) the nature, condition and use of the highway;
(b) the amount of traffic that is on, or might reasonably be expected to be on, the highway;
(c) the nature of the use being made of the emergency vehicle at the time.
There is discretion and circumstances which dictate lights and sirens, lights but no sirens, and no lights or sirens. There is also internal policy for each police force/department. Either way, if anything happens as a result of you breaking the MVA, you can be held accountable internally, criminally and civilly.
"Never give a match up halfway through. Never say that you do not feel up to it, that your condition is bad, and throw in the towel. Fight to the very end, always looking for your chance to break through." - Kazuzo Kudo

Last edited by sho_bc; 02-09-2015 at 06:05 AM. Reason: Link didn't work
sho_bc is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: