REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 02-09-2015, 07:39 PM   #1
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

Do you require amber corner lamps in BC?

I think the answer is yes but..has anyone ever gotten pulled over because of having "clear corners" I think they're called. I imagine it wouldn't be too much of an issue.

What I'm referring to is buying this LED turn signal kit.
2015 Ford Mustang Switchback Turn Signal LED Kit - Mustang Ecoboost - Ford - Bulbs By Vehicle - Lighting

Btw, mustang arrived! I'll post pics if it ever stops raining.

So yeah wondering if this is legal, turning my turn signal area all clear/white LED unless I use a turn signal, in which case it turns amber again.

edit: can I set up a signature? if so how? or not allowed until I reah a certain number of posts. went throughprofile and didn't see an option.
Advertisement
clevernickname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 07:46 PM   #2
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Thanked 1,399 Times in 396 Posts
v_tec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 07:52 PM   #3
J.C
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,790 Times in 592 Posts
i have clear corners and never had an issue
but then again i'd be pulled over for other things
J.C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 07:52 PM   #4
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 4,450 Times in 1,027 Posts
Quote:
Parking lamps
4.10 (1) A vehicle may be equipped with 2 parking lamps, mounted on the front of the vehicle, that are capable of displaying only white or amber light.
(2) A vehicle may be equipped with 2 parking lamps, mounted on the rear of the vehicle, that are capable of displaying only red light.
[en. B.C. Reg. 476/98, s. 2.]
according to MVA you dont. But just make sure your front signal lamps are amber

'93 GSR

'99 EXPEDITION
SpeedStars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 07:53 PM   #5
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
The bulb is required to be amber, as well as an amber reflector. The entire housing doesn't have to be amber, so long as the two items mentioned are followed.
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 07:53 PM   #6
Waxin’ Punks

Thanked 6,044 Times in 2,077 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1 View Post
punkwax, I don't care what your friends say about you, you are gold!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemhg View Post
What do your farts sound like then?
punkwax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 07:54 PM   #7

perfect. thanks.
Old 02-09-2015, 07:57 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lomac View Post
The bulb is required to be amber, as well as an amber reflector. The entire housing doesn't have to be amber, so long as the two items mentioned are followed.
apparently the turn signal is a dual white/amber thing that stays white usually, but turns red when turning. in that same housing is a sidemarker LED to replace the amber sidemarker..so the whole area shines white when not turning.

Apparently there's an amber reflector in the headlight though I haven't seen it personally yet...maybe i wasn't looking for it?

That should be ok then?
Old 02-11-2015, 12:38 PM   #9

Figured I'd ask here so I don't get crucified for flooding the boards.

Has anyone gotten pulled over for their headlight HID color? Specifically 8000, 10000, or 12000k?

Or do they pretty much not care.
Old 02-11-2015, 01:00 PM   #10
J.C
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,790 Times in 592 Posts
No, but anything above 6000 looks stupid and not functional imo
J.C is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-11-2015, 01:11 PM   #11
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 7,759 Times in 2,313 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.C View Post
No, but anything above 6000 looks stupid and not functional imo
Even 6K is sacrificing some Lumens from 4300k or 5k.

The OSRAM CBI's, which are 5k, are arguably the best bulbs on the market for light output and colour.

10k and 12k bulbs are very blue, and yes you will be hassled for having them. I know an individual with 12k bulbs and he has been bothered atleast once for them.

Barney Fucking Purple FX35
Brianna - 2008 FX35 - Build Thread
meme405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 02:09 PM   #12
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 5,223 Times in 1,388 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lomac View Post
Strangely, certain BMW headlights, I'll use the E90 LCI halogen and projector headlight assemblies, does not have orange reflectors in the actual unit, rather, on the side of the front bumper only visible from the side.

And yes these are the USDM headlights. Note that the halogen 323i has an orange bulb which kind of reflects orange into the reflectors, however the 328i+ had LED turn signals that don't light up orange as far as I'm aware unless the turn signal is activated.

With that being said, I know for a fact that the halogens on the 323i had the signals light up when the headlights were turned on, because back when I drove the 323i I had it coded to get rid of the signals and make the angel eyes into the DRLs like the 328i+
[13-03, 11:25] MG1 when you hit the brakes, it shoots cum at pedestrian - bukkake

[12-03, 19:06] meme405 That e30 is so mexiflushed I thought we were in albuquerque

[12-03, 23:03] rb when i see a modded element. I have nothing but respect. either the parents kicked him out or the guy is killing hookers in the back
Akinari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 02:46 PM   #13
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 3,782 Times in 1,242 Posts
Since we're talking about VI'able offences. I'll just mention I got my first box 2 the other day! Day after I picked up my brand new car, because my front windows were tinted (dealership did it as it was a showroom car).

If anyone knows me they will find this quite comical/ironic considering the jank mobiles i've driven in the past and never had a ticket/VI
Old 02-11-2015, 03:41 PM   #14

They're pretty strict about front tint here from what I've heard/seen.
Old 09-21-2019, 01:17 AM   #15
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Sorry for bumping an old ass thread but I need to know... I’m replacing my front amber corner lamps with clear ones on an e46, thus removing the amber reflector. Is this legal at all in BC? I have noticed other e46s on the road with this slight cosmetic mod but am unsure if I’ll get a ticket for it.

tilt your head back and using your hand pretend to shake a salt shaker in your mouth... you will notice that it will actually taste like salt in your mouth..
elwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 05:56 AM   #16
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

Quote:
Originally Posted by elwell View Post
Sorry for bumping an old ass thread but I need to know... I’m replacing my front amber corner lamps with clear ones on an e46, thus removing the amber reflector. Is this legal at all in BC? I have noticed other e46s on the road with this slight cosmetic mod but am unsure if I’ll get a ticket for it.
IIRC my e46 had amber reflectors on the front bumper and clear corners. Does yours have an amber reflector on the bumper?
ub3rn3wbx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 11:11 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by ub3rn3wbx2 View Post
IIRC my e46 had amber reflectors on the front bumper and clear corners. Does yours have an amber reflector on the bumper?
Unfortunately, the reflector is incorporated into the corners.

tilt your head back and using your hand pretend to shake a salt shaker in your mouth... you will notice that it will actually taste like salt in your mouth..
Old 09-21-2019, 12:38 PM   #18
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 4,532 Times in 1,519 Posts
Quote:
You might get a box 3 or box 2/1 if the cop is a dick for it. But most of us E46 guys get by with it. it's not legal, but no one really cares about it. It's as illegal as not running a front plate.

I've got a set of brand new clear ones for e46 coupe (clip in type) in the FS forum here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ub3rn3wbx2 View Post
Amber reflectors on bumper is a sedan thing. Coupes generally dont have it tho.
|| RIP 02 E46 M3 | Carbon Black | 6MT ||
BIC_BAWS is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-21-2019, 01:39 PM   #19

iirc, and as long as they haven't changed the section of MVAR regarding lighting and reflectors since the last time i read it a few months ago, it's just like how most of us are aware that you need front side marker lamps and retroreflectors. The MVAR state the front side marker lamp shall be amber or white. Whereas the CVSE inspection manual states amber only. So... having white front side markers are... legal. But won't pass an inspection. Lol

Edit:
I went to look it up and confirmed amber reflectors for front sides and rear reflectors red

Quote:
Side-marker lamps
4.12 (1) A vehicle may be equipped with
(a) 2 side-marker lamps, mounted on each side of the vehicle near the front, that are capable of displaying only white or amber light, and
(b) 2 side-marker lamps, mounted on each side of the vehicle near the rear, that are capable of displaying only amber or red light.
(2) The side-marker lamps referred to in subsection (1) may operate in conjunction with turn signal lamps or the hazard warning signal.
(3) A vehicle with an overall width of 2.05 m or more, or having a gross weight in excess of 1 400 kg, may be equipped with side-marker lamps mounted on each side of the vehicle at the horizontal mid-point of the vehicle.
[en. B.C. Reg. 476/98, s. 2.]

Last edited by coneZONE; 09-21-2019 at 02:01 PM.
coneZONE is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-21-2019, 02:24 PM   #20

looks like I need a new bumper with the reflectors, can't afford to be harassed by cops LOL

Old 09-21-2019, 06:30 PM   #21

Quote:
looks like I need a new bumper with the reflectors, can't afford to be harassed by cops LOL
Not necessary to change the whole bumper... unless you are more about the aesthetics or a factory look, i suppose
You can easily obtain an SAE/DOT certified adhesive reflector to substitute/supplant the original reflector

I should mention that it should be a hard plastic retroreflector, not the label type
Old 09-22-2019, 10:58 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by coneZONE View Post
Not necessary to change the whole bumper... unless you are more about the aesthetics or a factory look, i suppose
You can easily obtain an SAE/DOT certified adhesive reflector to substitute/supplant the original reflector

I should mention that it should be a hard plastic retroreflector, not the label type
Can you link me to what you’re talking about? And I wouldn’t mind replacing the bumper as one of the clips are broken and the paint is super rough

Old 09-22-2019, 03:53 PM   #23
I came, I saw, I conquered.

Old 09-22-2019, 06:00 PM   #24

Something like this,
Blazer B178SAW Amber Stick-on Reflector-1 Pair https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B004L0AC30/..._3BcIDb9CCFYTY
You can also easily find it in the trailer lighting aisle at Canadian Tire, Princess Auto, etc...