REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 02-11-2015, 01:38 PM   #1
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,490 Times in 1,688 Posts
BC Coroner recommends automated speed monitoring, review of graduated licensing

The BC coroner panel is recommending automated speed monitoring and a review of graduated licensing to reduce the number of motor vehicle related deaths among young people.

BC Coroner?s panel recommends automated speed monitoring, review of graduated licensing | News1130

What do you think? -article does mention that photo radar program would not return under "automated speed monitoring".
Advertisement
Old 02-11-2015, 01:47 PM   #2
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
While they are at it please make everyone take the road test before they can drive in BC. If you here on tour sure fine but if you are staying more than 3 months either take the road test or stop driving. A lot of ppl are just trading their driver license from their pervious to BC ones. We have no way to check if the license obtained is through legal means or not.

No joke lol got a few friends form China who never drove or get a driving license in China yet all they did was their family influence and got a driver license and just exchange it to a BC one. No test no nothing......
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 02-11-2015, 01:51 PM   #3
Zombie Mod

Thanked 5,169 Times in 1,551 Posts
Don't you know this is RS? We be lazy, so make sure you post the article, and not just the link:
Quote:
VICTORIA (NEWS1130) – A BC Coroner’s panel is recommending the provincial government look into automated speed monitoring in order to reduce the number of deaths of young people on the road.

The panel looked at the reasons behind fatal crashes involving young people between 2004 and 2013 and found speed was a factor in 30 per cent of the cases.

Seventy-five per cent of those who were killed were male, 40 per cent were impaired and about one third were breaking the conditions of their licence.

The panel isn’t giving specifics on what an automated speed monitoring system here would involve, but says it would not mean the return of the photo radar program.

Panel Chair Michael Eglison says the “how” would be up to the Ministry of Justice, but there are ideas that could be taken from other places that already have automated speed monitoring.

“Aerial surveillance; things like time distance, where cars are tracked at one point and then at another point, and there’s averaging speed; static cameras for red lights,” he lists.

The report is also calling for a review of the province’s Graduated Licensing Program after the deaths of 106 young drivers.

It says most of the people who died in the time period it examined were between 17 and 18 years old. The report finds fewer young drivers have died in the province since the program was introduced in 1998, but input from teens is needed to implement safe driving practices.

Despite the drop in young driver deaths, motor vehicle incidents remain the leading cause of death in BC for youth between 15 and 18 years.

The report recommends increasing awareness about fatal crashes involving young drivers through enhanced data collection by the coroners service and ICBC.

The licensing program involves a learner’s stage when drivers who pass a knowledge test must display an “L” sign on their vehicle, followed by a road test that leads to the novice stage and an “N” sign on vehicles.
Old 02-11-2015, 01:59 PM   #4
In RS I Trust

Thanked 17,581 Times in 4,297 Posts
I do agree with it but how will ICBC know if it's actually the new driving driving? When I was younger I borrowed my parents car since I didn't have my own so in this case I'm not sure how it would work.

I'm for the idea 100% it seems like a lot of the younger kids have less care in this day and age and it will teach them a very valuable lesson for when they are older.
murd0c is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-11-2015, 02:27 PM   #5
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,907 Times in 3,870 Posts
Problem 1 is that the current licensing program is too easy and full of holes. Like Mr.HappySilp mentioned some people have transferred over "licenses" that weren't legitimate, and I don't see why we're making it convenient for people moving to BC to drive here anyways, driving is a privilege so we need to start treating it like one. If you wanna live and drive here so badly take a damn test like everyone else did. The test itself needs to be more difficult because IMO the current system is easy as balls and doesn't teach you jack shit about actually driving.

Problem 2 is the dumbfuck parents buying brand new/high powered vehicles for kids that barely know how to drive. They need to implement displacement/HP restrictions for L and N drivers so we stop seeing N's on the back of 400+ HP cars that you just know will be wrapped around a pole within 6 months.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 03:01 PM   #6
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

^^ Or simply refuse insurance on sports/high HP cars for new drives. Just to to Toronto or Calgary. They will outright refuse insurance for new drivers with a sports/High Hp cars, heck eve some regular cars they won't let you.

Want to get insurance for a new drive? Drive a beater.
This post thanked by:
Old 02-11-2015, 04:04 PM   #7
RS controls my life!

Another problem is the lack of proper education for the licensing process.
I strongly believe in mandatory driver education. Grill proper driving etiquette and defensive driving techniques into their brains.
Old 02-11-2015, 04:37 PM   #8
what manner of phaggotry is this

Thanked 5,473 Times in 1,814 Posts
My gf said drivers training was part of her highschool education in Manitoba. Every kid had mandatory drivers training.

I think BC just made it so motorcycle licenses require taking rider training now.

the GLP is a great start. the part where they limit N drivers to only having 1 passenger is a huge step. When I was a young driver, 90% of the dumb shit I did was because I had a full car load of my friends egging me on. I believe I saw a report where young driver crashes have dropped significantly over the 15 years the GLP has been in effect.

This report is kinda vague tho, and the article is even worse. You cant really see whats going on without year by year numbers since the GLP keeps improving, and young driver crashes are on the decline. For all we know, most of those 106 fatalities could have been in the first 5 years.

All that being said, the most glaring thing in that article is this:

Quote:
The panel looked at the reasons behind fatal crashes involving young people between 2004 and 2013 and found speed was a factor in 30 per cent of the cases.

Seventy-five per cent of those who were killed were male, 40 per cent were impaired and about one third were breaking the conditions of their licence.
They should focus on making sure people aren't driving illegally, or punishing them harder, instead of trying to find another way to write tickets.
Old 02-11-2015, 05:28 PM   #9
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 14,758 Times in 3,869 Posts
If 40% were impaired, they should be installing the breathalyzer machine on every car with an L or an N while they are at it. If they feel speed is so deadly
Old 02-11-2015, 05:55 PM   #10
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Thanked 1,063 Times in 308 Posts
I thought international license expires in one year and then they have to take the road test.
zilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 06:08 PM   #11
GS8
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 7,257 Times in 1,966 Posts
This is how I imagined most tests were done

GS8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 06:11 PM   #12
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,381 Times in 3,907 Posts
The glp is a joke, proper driver training is needed, like on a closed course/lot.... and instructors should know and teach the rules of the road as well (like stay right, pass on left).... and none of this bullshit where if you're friendly with the instructor they just let you pass

All the glp is now is simply 1 extra, meaningless, road test... aka a money grab which doesn't even make sense because if they actually made the training demanding they would be able to create more jobs and grab even more money from those wanting to drive.... and cross our fingers we may have better drivers on the road finally

(had a bad day on the roads today )
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 06:19 PM   #13
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp View Post
^^ Or simply refuse insurance on sports/high HP cars for new drives. Just to to Toronto or Calgary. They will outright refuse insurance for new drivers with a sports/High Hp cars, heck eve some regular cars they won't let you.

Want to get insurance for a new drive? Drive a beater.
This is how it is where I grew up in England. You can't insure a GTR at age 17, heck you can't insure a shitty old 5.0 Mustang at age 17 because of the displacement of the engine and the fact that it's a little bit fast in a straight line. Unless you've got a lot of money you buy a hatchback or sedan with a 1.6 or smaller engine. There are plenty of 1.0-1.6 litre cars in Europe partly for that reason. I think it makes a lot of sense. One other thing is that once you have experience and a clean driving record, insurance is typically a lot cheaper than it is over here for experienced drivers, which I think makes sense too.

I'm not super keen on the monitored speed, but I think there should be much tighter control on what kind of vehicle you can drive as a teenager.
denham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 06:46 PM   #14
RS Veteran

Thanked 5,024 Times in 1,083 Posts
I could see the time distance system used on the Malahat on the island. There was talk of this when there was a string of accidents followed by a summer long speeding enforcement blitz.

There are no traffic lights on this section of hwy so if you make it past the checkpoint far too quickly you were excessively speeding. Picture taken and then ticket is in the mail.
TouringTeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 07:56 PM   #15
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 4,525 Times in 1,357 Posts
It's interesting how you guys are talking about horsepower and safety factor.

Japan used to have 280 horsepower rule because of safety concerns. Funny thing was, that only applied to JDM cars and people were still allowed to drive over 280hp as long as the car was not JDM. Japanese manufactures weren't even allowed to manufacture something above 280hp for Japanese domestic market.

Anyways, Japanese government found out that horsepower had nothing to do with death/accident rate.
People who drove Aston Martin, Maserati, Ferrari or Mercedes with big V12 aren't necessarily more dangerous than people with Civic Type-R, Silvia or even some kei cars(660cc or less).

To make a long story short, more horsepower does not mean higher accident/death rate, at least in Japan but I would imagine that to be same as in Canada too.
Timpo is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-11-2015, 08:11 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by denham View Post
I'm not super keen on the monitored speed, but I think there should be much tighter control on what kind of vehicle you can drive as a teenager.
They wouldn't have to monitor speed if young drivers were restricted to the kinds of cars that can barely speed anyways.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Quote:
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Old 02-11-2015, 08:22 PM   #17
$_$
I subscribe to Revscene

Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
They wouldn't have to monitor speed if young drivers were restricted to the kinds of cars that can barely speed anyways.
I don't understand what you guys are saying. Are you guys saying that a corolla can't speed?
$_$ is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-11-2015, 08:27 PM   #18
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 2,667 Times in 960 Posts
The amount of times I nearly died while a passenger in any number of my friend's fast cars while street racing when I was in my teens is pretty fucking high!

Now that I look back on it I can't believe more people didn't die!
multicartual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 08:29 PM   #19
what manner of phaggotry is this

Thanked 5,473 Times in 1,814 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StylinRed View Post
The glp is a joke, proper driver training is needed, like on a closed course/lot.... and instructors should know and teach the rules of the road as well (like stay right, pass on left).... and none of this bullshit where if you're friendly with the instructor they just let you pass

All the glp is now is simply 1 extra, meaningless, road test... aka a money grab which doesn't even make sense because if they actually made the training demanding they would be able to create more jobs and grab even more money from those wanting to drive.... and cross our fingers we may have better drivers on the road finally

(had a bad day on the roads today )
its a whole lot better than it was pre GLP. you used to be able to go in at age 16 and write a written test and get your license and go driving that day unsupervised with no experience with a car load of your buddies.

now you have to do a written test, drive with an adult for a YEAR getting experience, and then after a road test, you have a class 7 for 2 years where you have restrictions on how you can drive. you cant get your full license until you're 19 when you should be smarter than a 16 year old.

In the first 5 years of the GLP program, accidents among first year drivers dropped by 26 percent, and more as its gone on.

I think they should take it a step farther and implement a vehicle restriction in the class 7 phase. ICBC has the systems of categorizing vehicles in place already where there are several different rate groups for cars. they could simple exclude certain classes from being operable by drivers until they earn their full class 5.

Last edited by RRxtar; 02-11-2015 at 08:36 PM.
RRxtar is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-11-2015, 08:50 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by $_$ View Post
I don't understand what you guys are saying. Are you guys saying that a corolla can't speed?
Oh they can, but you can't get going as fast and you can't get there as quickly, and you have a larger margin of error. The top speed a 92 Camry can reach within 1 city block is going to be a hell of a lot lower than a brand new M3, it'll be the same on the highway and what will happen if you accidentally blip the throttle too much is very different.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 02-11-2015, 09:00 PM   #21
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp View Post
While they are at it please make everyone take the road test before they can drive in BC. If you here on tour sure fine but if you are staying more than 3 months either take the road test or stop driving. A lot of ppl are just trading their driver license from their pervious to BC ones. We have no way to check if the license obtained is through legal means or not.

No joke lol got a few friends form China who never drove or get a driving license in China yet all they did was their family influence and got a driver license and just exchange it to a BC one. No test no nothing......
the other thing with this is it can possibly be a revenue stream for ICBC if these people have to take the test 5 times because they suck at driving like those TOEFL or ESL equivalent tests they had back awhile ago (not sure if they still have it since it's been years since I graduated)

I swear every fucking week I get some people changing lanes without shoulder checking and nearly hitting me. And don't get me started on parking lots in Richmond. . . ..
iEatClams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 09:01 PM   #22
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 4,525 Times in 1,357 Posts
ok so WTF is speed monitoring?
Timpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 12:54 AM   #23
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Thanked 1,090 Times in 318 Posts
It's like when you drink and drive too many times, you get rewarded with a interlock breathalyzer. Probably will get catered to people who get too many speeding infractions where you win one of these awesome data logging computers installed after your suspension.
corollagtSr5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 01:04 AM   #24
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,381 Times in 3,907 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRxtar View Post
its a whole lot better than it was pre GLP. you used to be able to go in at age 16 and write a written test and get your license and go driving that day unsupervised with no experience with a car load of your buddies.

now you have to do a written test, drive with an adult for a YEAR getting experience, and then after a road test, you have a class 7 for 2 years where you have restrictions on how you can drive. you cant get your full license until you're 19 when you should be smarter than a 16 year old.

In the first 5 years of the GLP program, accidents among first year drivers dropped by 26 percent, and more as its gone on.

I think they should take it a step farther and implement a vehicle restriction in the class 7 phase. ICBC has the systems of categorizing vehicles in place already where there are several different rate groups for cars. they could simple exclude certain classes from being operable by drivers until they earn their full class 5.
i remember, i got my license pre-glp (just in the nick of time)
and while on paper it has a lot of rules there's no accountability unless a driver gets pulled over and caught not following the rules, even then it's just a warning (from the licensing program) iirc it's a 2 strike rule

the program needs to be a lot stricter and require more training at approved facilities imo
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 08:24 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by iEatClams View Post
the other thing with this is it can possibly be a revenue stream for ICBC if these people have to take the test 5 times because they suck at driving like those TOEFL or ESL equivalent tests they had back awhile ago (not sure if they still have it since it's been years since I graduated)

I swear every fucking week I get some people changing lanes without shoulder checking and nearly hitting me. And don't get me started on parking lots in Richmond. . . ..
In China they don't do shoulder check lol. They just change into your lanes with no regards. Pretty scary if you are a passenger but is normal to them. That's why some Chinese still don't shoulder check.