REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Closed Thread

Old 02-23-2015, 08:20 PM   #1
My homepage has been set to RS

WCB Question

I got injured at work. Soft tissue/pulled tendon in my arm. I can lift about 15lbs before my arm gives out. I am off work for between 2-3 weeks (so the doctor thinks) as my job is quite physically demanding. My boss called me and fired me this morning saying that he needs to train and hire someone new, and since there are many hours going into training that he no longer needs me. I have been with the company just under 3 months. Is this legal? Its no fault of my own, and now I lose my job because of it. I have been going to physio 3 times a week as instructed, and I visit my doctor once a week as I am supposed too.
Advertisement
LADIES!!! Tired of being alone? Going through too many batteries at bedtime? Would you like a "hand"?? Well, you're in luck!!! S.T.U.D.S IS HERE FOR YOU!!! We offer all types of services, from a basic lube, to the full service! S.T.U.D.S.

Last edited by girlcrazy_420; 02-27-2015 at 09:05 PM.
Old 02-23-2015, 08:25 PM   #2
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Thanked 1,536 Times in 427 Posts
Just from the sounds of it, it does sound like wrongful dismissal. But there are a few other questions that needs to be answered.

Are you part of a union? If you are, you should contact them.

Are you under a probation period? Most places that puts you in a probation period can terminate you within the probation period.

Were there any policies that you signed off on when you were hired? You might have to look back on that and see what it says.

But based on what you have said, it does sound like you were fired wrongfully.
Old 02-23-2015, 08:26 PM   #3
In RS I Trust

Thanked 17,581 Times in 4,297 Posts
Nope its not legal since you were hurt at work and now you can go to labour relations and after the company for firing you while hurt. Sounds like you have your ducks in line and I would tell your WCB case worker right away and file a claim with them.
This post thanked by:
Old 02-23-2015, 08:27 PM   #4
In RS I Trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoNaRWaVe View Post
Just from the sounds of it, it does sound like wrongful dismissal. But there are a few other questions that needs to be answered.

Are you part of a union? If you are, you should contact them.

Are you under a probation period? Most places that puts you in a probation period can terminate you within the probation period.

Were there any policies that you signed off on when you were hired? You might have to look back on that and see what it says.

But based on what you have said, it does sound like you were fired wrongfully.
probation period or not he can't get fired while being out of work due to injury. It's against the law.
Old 02-23-2015, 08:28 PM   #5
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

get your ROE
after WCB, claim EI

Old 02-23-2015, 08:39 PM   #6

Nope, no union. I am 1 of 3 employees, 1 of them is the boss.

I can not find anywhere that is is illegal to fire someone while undergoing a wcb claim. Can someone find me proof of this? I have looked everywhere.
LADIES!!! Tired of being alone? Going through too many batteries at bedtime? Would you like a "hand"?? Well, you're in luck!!! S.T.U.D.S IS HERE FOR YOU!!! We offer all types of services, from a basic lube, to the full service! S.T.U.D.S.
Old 02-23-2015, 08:43 PM   #7
In RS I Trust

Speak to your case worker don't talk to us...
This post FAILED by:
Old 02-23-2015, 08:47 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by murd0c View Post
Speak to your case worker don't talk to us...
Been over a week and still waiting on 1. WCB will not assign a case worker until my employer has sent in their wcb paperwork. Still waiting for it to get sent in, unless they sent it snail mail
Old 02-23-2015, 08:50 PM   #9
In RS I Trust

Contact labour relations now and file a complaint as well
Old 02-23-2015, 08:50 PM   #10
what manner of phaggotry is this

Thanked 5,473 Times in 1,814 Posts
when did you hurt yourself
when did your doctor say you should be back to work
how long until you plan to go back to work
did he "fire" you, or say he needs to find someone who can work?

i dont think he can fire you for getting hurt. but he can let you go for not being able to do the job as hired. perhaps he can let you go on grounds that you are a liability and unable to safely perform your job. not for getting hurt, but for continually looking like you're going to get hurt
Old 02-23-2015, 09:01 PM   #11
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 7,759 Times in 2,313 Posts
He cannot fire you while you are away with an injury. PERIOD. EDIT: AN INJURY THAT HAPPENED IN THE WORKPLACE THAT IS.

If you feel like pursuing it, this is the form you need:

http://www.worksafebc.com/forms/assets/pdf/57w1.pdf

I recommend you phone worksafe in the morning and speak with them regarding the entire incident. Also you may choose to talk to your employee about this, he might not fully understand what he is doing, lots of people with no small business experience get buttraped by WCB simply because they have never had to deal with this sort of thing, I can see this being especially true given he is just one guy with a couple people working for him.

Barney Fucking Purple FX35
Brianna - 2008 FX35 - Build Thread

Last edited by meme405; 02-23-2015 at 09:09 PM.
This post thanked by:
Old 02-23-2015, 09:57 PM   #12
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

After dealing with WCB, I highly recommend contacting the Employment Standards Branch, which is a part of BC Ministry of Labour. The case workers there are knowledgeable and well versed in the Employment Standards Act.
Employment Standards Branch, Ministry of Labour, Government of B.C.
Old 02-23-2015, 10:35 PM   #13
MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD

Thanked 3,511 Times in 1,156 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by girlcrazy_420 View Post
Been over a week and still waiting on 1. WCB will not assign a case worker until my employer has sent in their wcb paperwork. Still waiting for it to get sent in, unless they sent it snail mail
small company, with every incident the wcb coverage price goes up for the company, i doubt they will send in the paperwork without some arm twisting. CYA (Cover Your Ass), talk to labour relations and call WCB and tell them the situation as soon as possible so that they have it in their records.
[03-07, 03:26] Yodamaster - The feeling when you quickly insert without hitting the sides
This post thanked by:
Old 02-24-2015, 07:19 AM   #14
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,812 Times in 2,501 Posts
what nabs said.

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

Old 02-24-2015, 07:20 AM   #15

Thanked 2,454 Times in 813 Posts
Word of advice aswell..

You want compensation, but I wouldn't recommend going back to work for them after. The situation will be garbage and your boss (sounds like a complete dick) will ride your ass and probably shit on you. (Terrible work environment)
[17-03, 09:23] Amuro Ray is it normal for my dick to have things growing on it?
Quote:
[15-05, 13:34] FastAnna You guise are like diet coke and I am the mentos
[15-05, 13:34] FastAnna Incredible. How easy it is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by murd0c View Post
I'm scared of spiders... When I see one I toss my cats at it
This post thanked by:
Old 02-24-2015, 08:15 AM   #16
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,321 Times in 5,639 Posts
Did you have a first aid attendant fill out a first aid report? Did they send you to medical aid or Keep you working?

If they sent you to medical aid they HAVE to file a form 4 or whatever it is to WCB notifying them of a worker leaving work due to an injury.

If you never filled out a first aid report and just left work due to the injury and went home you're going to be SOL
Old 02-24-2015, 11:37 AM   #17
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,322 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
Did you have a first aid attendant fill out a first aid report? Did they send you to medical aid or Keep you working?

If they sent you to medical aid they HAVE to file a form 4 or whatever it is to WCB notifying them of a worker leaving work due to an injury.

If you never filled out a first aid report and just left work due to the injury and went home you're going to be SOL
I don't think it's that cut and dry. I know I injured my shoulder at work, was sure it would just go away on it's own and didn't say anything. After 1 month of living in pain I finally went to Doctor and called WCB. They weren't happy about me not reporting but they covered me. In my case I really just didn't want to mess up my employers rates, I didn't think it was that serious at the time.

If the OP went to the Doctor and reported it as a work injury I think the paper trail would be there so they may still have a chance. Every case is looked at on an individual basis. For me I wasn't looking to stay off work I wanted to still work through it I just wanted the injury fixed and if it took surgery to fix it I knew going through WCB would be the quickest route which is why I eventually called them.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I don´t care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. That´s how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
Old 02-24-2015, 12:15 PM   #18
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,321 Times in 5,639 Posts
Going straight to the doctor without a record of the injury at the workplace sides hugely with the employer though, because who's to say where the injury occurred unless a witness is willing to basically testify against the company
Old 02-24-2015, 01:55 PM   #19
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

ya making a report immediately or the next day is pretty damn critical
Old 02-24-2015, 06:54 PM   #20
I STILL don't get it

If you were let go because you got injured at work and filed a WorkSafeBC claim, call them and ask to be transferred to the Preventions department. An investigation may be started by WorkSafeBC but you would have to have evidence to back up your claims.

As a word of advice, anytime you get hurt at work no matter how minor, report it to your Employer and make sure there is a paper trail. Reporting your injury in a timely manner to your employer and getting medical attention outside of work as soon as possible are both very important for WorkSafeBC when making a decision. Any delays in reporting your injury or seeking medical attention outside of work can lead to your claim being disallowed.

Also, anytime you see a physician and they are notified it is a work related injury, they will be submitting a Form 8 to WorkSafeBC automatically and a claim will be generated.
Old 02-24-2015, 07:18 PM   #21
MiX iT Up!

Thanked 2,066 Times in 865 Posts
pay some money and get an employment lawyer.

delete your posts on the internet.

Sometimes we tend to be in despair when the person we love leaves us, but the truth is, it's not our loss, but theirs, for they left the only person who couldn't give up on them.

Make the effort and take the risk..

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't." - Eleanor Roosevelt
Old 02-24-2015, 09:17 PM   #22
nah

years ago as a summer job, i used to work at a futon manufacturing plant and it was a very well known fact that people didn't last very long after they came back from a WCB claim. their premiums would go up and i THINK they would have to pay out of pocket for part of your wages.

that's probably why they let you go. you're going to cost them money in the long run.
Old 02-25-2015, 07:51 PM   #23
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Thanked 1,536 Times in 427 Posts
they shouldn't have to pay out of their pockets to pay for his/her wages. because the company would be reimbursed by WCB.
Old 02-25-2015, 08:15 PM   #24
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 7,109 Times in 1,264 Posts
You can 100% fire someone who is injured.

Keep the following in mind though;

1- Typically a company will want to avoid having WCB claims as it affects premiums. The company will offer a modified work arrangement to accommodate your physical issue that will usually have you working less hours performing some lame ass desk job etc hoping you decide to get better or quit. Note they do not have a responsibility to offer modified work arrangement.

2- If you refuse modified work, and the company refuses to pay you while you are taking time off to recover, you're essentially forcing a claim and will have to rely on WCB to back you. At this point the company can certainly fire you for the same reasons they could always fire you.. you being employed less than 3 months it's pretty easy to terminate you without much cause.

FWIW though, I'm no expert with this, but I've seen a ton of this shit go on.

GL OP
Old 02-27-2015, 01:36 PM   #25

So... My employer called me last night asking for my SIN and health card number. How the heck was I receiving a paycheck without them having my SIN??? (i told wcb this) Anyways, they still have NOT sent in the WCB paperwork. I get my ROE Today in a few hours. My boss refused WCB a "modified back to work" as he could not come up with anything for me to do. No I never saw a first aid attendant as my company does not have one, and yes... I continued to work until the shift was over. My physio talked to my boss and I guess they had a yelling match about me doing my job proper/improper and physio stated that perhaps if he gave his employees proper training he wouldnt be dealing with wcb BUHAHA And.. its been 2 weeks and still no case worked due to him not submitting his side of the story.
Closed Thread