REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Mobile Phone & Tablet Chat

Mobile Phone & Tablet Chat Need to unlock your phone? Check us out at JP Cellular Repair.
Smatphones, Tablets, Pagers (lol), Accessories, Networks, Services, Tips & Tricks, Download ringtones, Screen savers..

Old 02-26-2015, 03:53 PM   #1
The RS Freebie guru

Thanked 2,491 Times in 860 Posts
The Chinese Phones Thread

There are so many different Chinese phones available, some made by big name manufacturers, some by no name manufacturers.

The main selling point is that the specs to price ratio is extremely attractive compared to the phones available from the carriers here. The trade-offs are question marks about the build quality and support of the devices.

Some of the brands are Lenovo, Xiaomi, Cubot, Kingzone, Huawei, Doogee, uleFone, Jiayu, Elephone, ZTE, Leagoo, Meizu. There are a ton more that are even less known.

Technically Oneplus One is a Chinese phone as well, but they've just been the most successful at penetrating into the mainstream so far, probably due to the phone being so well spec'ed at a very reasonable price, and the marketing behind it.

A lot of the other companies listed are trying to do get their name established as well, so they're not just pumping out crappy phones to make a quick buck.

When my Note II suddenly died on me three weeks ago, I had no idea what phone to get as a replacement. I was considering all your standard options like Nexus 6, Note 4, M8, etc... but then I ended up getting a uleFone Be Pro.

This is the flagship model from uleFone, and it has a 5.5" 1280x720 IPS screen, MTK6732 1.5GHz Quad Core (64-Bit) CPU, 2GB RAM, 16GB ROM, and dual SIM support at a regular price of USD170.

I found a deal and ended up getting it for USD120, or a total of about CAD150.

I only received it yesterday, so haven't had too much time to use it yet, but so far so good.

I originally had some issues connecting to Rogers LTE, but that seems to have been resolve now.

The only complaint I really have at this point is the USB port, which is fairly recessed into the body, so the cable connection is pretty poor. Any slight nudge of the cable will knock the cable loose.

Hard to complain for a $150 unlocked phone with these specs though.

It shipped with 4.4.4, but Lollipop should be available on this device within the next few days.

It has a 2600mAh cell, but the battery life seems pretty decent so far. Will take more time to get a true evaluation, but I think this will run longer than my Note II with the 3100mAh cell.

Here's a review of it:

Ulefone Be Pro Review - You Won't Believe It's Only $160 - Mobile Geeks

Has anyone else gone outside of the box and bought one of the many Chinese phones available from online sellers?
Advertisement
InvisibleSoul is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-27-2015, 03:55 PM   #2
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,814 Times in 2,502 Posts
i always thought about it but was not knowledgable enough of which ones are good vs junk and what was a reputable site to purchase from.

i'd be interested in suggestions for sites as well as different models of tablets people have had good experience with. i'm looking for an 8" one.

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 06:40 PM   #3
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 7,449 Times in 1,438 Posts
Low end brand I would never touch - Teclast, ONDA, Ramos.
I go through these tablets from 2 to 12 months, and they end up going into the trash can. Battery, display, rom, buttons, speakers all have problem. They are the best to stay in the bathroom to browse the web while taking a dump

Mid tier brand that I tried and satisfied - PIPO, Ainol, Hyundai
These brand do not update their rom as frequent as above, probably it is more stable and no need to do things about it. They are more expensive, but still embarrassing to show off your tab. I am using PIPO dual boot (Win8 x android), so far I am loving it.

High end brand - Lenovo, Huawei, Alcatel, Xiaomi
Even though they are the most expensive, that does not mean they are flawless.
asian_XL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 07:45 PM   #4
It's like going crazy when you're already nuts

Thanked 2,904 Times in 751 Posts
inb4 gululu posts about honger arrogance, WASP stupidity, and china #1
Old 02-27-2015, 09:40 PM   #5
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
I have a Huawei honor 6 that I use when I go back to China. Honestly though the phone isn't bad. The UI is a lot like Iphone so is the design. The speaker needs work(even at max volume I could barely it ringing in a quiet room). Battery seems great.

The only thing that stops me from using it in Canada is that it doesn't have the band to connect to LTE and 3G, leaving it only at 2g which sucks.
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 11:59 AM   #6
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

I have an Oppo Find 7 and it's decent. Great speakers, great audio, The OS sucks but the device is heavily supported by third party developers.
way2quik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 12:52 PM   #7
I wish I was where I was when I wished I was here

Thanked 3,098 Times in 733 Posts
My iPhone 6+ is made in China

Does that count?

Cadillac CTS (Current)
hchang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 01:31 PM   #8
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 4,984 Times in 995 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hchang View Post
My iPhone 6+ is made in China

Does that count?
GTFO

Can someone tell good or unusual dating spots? Or what was your the most unusual date? THanks for sharing!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp View Post
my bedroom =D
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhillon09 View Post
that's a great secret date spot,
i bet no girl in vancouver has seen it.
Verdasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 08:26 AM   #9
The RS Freebie guru

I've been using this uleFone Be Pro for the past 4-5 days now, so obviously still much too early to have any long-term impressions of it, but the short-term impressions are quite favourable.

More about the two issues that I had originally, but have been resolved:

The first one was after manually adding the Rogers LTE APN, it had a tough time actually connecting to 4G. It was almost a showstopper because every time I enabled WiFi and then disabled it, the phone would have problems connecting properly to mobile data. Turned out all I needed to do was reboot the phone, and now it connects to 4G flawlessly.

The second was is the USB port, which seems to be fairly recessed into the body. The first few micro USB cables I tried fitted very loosely, and while they charged the phone fine, any slight movement of the cable would unseat the connection. Turns out it depends on where the "latches" are on the USB cable, because subsequently I found another cable I had actually hooked properly, as does the cable the phone came with.

Battery life has been very reasonable so far. I think I'm getting slightly longer battery life out it than my Note II. Would have been nice if it had a 3000mAh or bigger battery, but the 2600mAh battery it has is satisfactory.

I have absolutely zero complaints about the usability and features of this phone.

The only thing that will determine whether this was a good purchase is how durable it is, and/or when/if things go wrong with it. If it works for more than a couple years without issue, then this phone is an absolute steal.
This post thanked by:
Old 03-02-2015, 09:36 AM   #10
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

I'd like to point out that Huawei should not be clumped with the rest of the clone-type manufacturers.

In terms of operational scale and innovations; Its ranked like the following:
  1. Huawei
  2. Xiaomi
  3. Lenovo/Motorola
  4. ZTE
  5. TCL/Alcatel
  6. meizu, smartisan, vivo, oppo, opo, coolpad, etc
  7. clones and the rest

huawei is worlds biggest telecommunication firm. holds more patent than cisco, siemens, ericsson. every cell tower in Canada all use Huawei equipments

Last edited by Gululu; 03-02-2015 at 09:55 AM.
Gululu is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 03-02-2015, 10:19 AM   #11
The RS Freebie guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gululu View Post
I'd like to point out that Huawei should not be clumped with the rest of the clone-type manufacturers.

In terms of operational scale and innovations; Its ranked like the following:
  1. Huawei
  2. Xiaomi
  3. Lenovo/Motorola
  4. ZTE
  5. TCL/Alcatel
  6. meizu, smartisan, vivo, oppo, opo, coolpad, etc
  7. clones and the rest

huawei is worlds biggest telecommunication firm. holds more patent than cisco, siemens, ericsson. every cell tower in Canada all use Huawei equipments
You know what, you're probably right... I guess I really just listed any Chinese phone manufacturer, big or small... but what I said about the price to specs ratio doesn't necessarily apply to all of them. Huawei and some of the other big names actually make some really good phones, but the prices are right up there with the handsets we have readily available here in Canada.

It really would be some of the smaller companies trying to establish themselves that are offering some remarkable specs to dollar value right now. The few that I've seen get some attention lately are Elephone, CuBot, uleFone, Jiayu, Doogee, KingZone, etc.
Old 03-02-2015, 10:52 PM   #12

Thanked 1,584 Times in 633 Posts
just cuz there big doesnt mean there good, i have had bad experiences with huawei phones

im using a mi3 right now, the phones not that great in general but the small details is quite good

im working in china & im on a CDMA network, which limits me on phones choices, as well prices for the same phone (cdma phones costs more)

i have only used a coolpad, huawei & xiaomi, i had a OPO that got for free but i gave it back once i phone out it was not compatible with my network

i normally would tell u guys to stay away from chinese made phones due to the fact that u dont really get a lot of aftermarket support outside of chinese

note: i dont completely hate chinese phones

Quote:
Originally Posted by hk20000 View Post
I went up to a cute chick and asked her if she'd let me take a photo of her for $30 she slapped me, she said to me that "I AIN'T A WHORE!"

But other than that I have seen every car on display in DTP just by cruising about in Richmond, thank you very much for collecting them together and get someone to sing a cover for "fuck you".

OH FUCK YOU OH OH OOOOH~
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neva View Post
wtf man? what the hell kind of women do you go for? spca is for animals not dates...
ae101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 07:44 AM   #13
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
I am surprise no one mention One plus one. It is a Chinese company and its phone was successful last year. Let's see how well it will do this year.
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 08:18 AM   #14
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,816 Times in 8,190 Posts
The only chinese phone that is beyond "barely useful" is the iphone
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 03-03-2015, 10:19 AM   #15
The RS Freebie guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp View Post
I am surprise no one mention One plus one. It is a Chinese company and its phone was successful last year. Let's see how well it will do this year.
It's because there is a huge thread dedicated to the Oneplus One already, so this thread was made with the intention of talking about the literally hundreds of other Chinese phones out there.
Old 03-03-2015, 10:25 AM   #16
The RS Freebie guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
The only chinese phone that is beyond "barely useful" is the iphone
For one, clearly iPhone doesn't belong in this discussion. By Chinese phone, we're talking about phones that were made by companies based in China, designed in China, and solely operate out of China. Yeah, iPhones might be manufactured and assembled in China, but that's about the extent of their connection there.

The specs of the OnePlus one at USD350 is probably comparable to those from the big names at CAD600-700.

The specs of the uleFone Be Pro I got at CAD150 is probably comparable to those from the big names at CAD300-400.

It's true that support and longevity is questionable at best for these Chinese phones, I'm not very impressed that my Note II completely died on me out of the blue after two years of use.

I guess if I get two years out of this Chinese phone, I'll be more than satisfied with the return.

I'll just have to see how it goes...
Old 03-03-2015, 07:15 PM   #17
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 7,449 Times in 1,438 Posts
oneplus one ? as Cyanogenmod is partnering with other brands, and its OS is the only attractive element, I doubt it will have growth in 2015. The oneplus two rumour spec isn't really drawing much attention.
asian_XL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 07:57 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by InvisibleSoul View Post
For one, clearly iPhone doesn't belong in this discussion. By Chinese phone, we're talking about phones that were made by companies based in China, designed in China, and solely operate out of China. Yeah, iPhones might be manufactured and assembled in China, but that's about the extent of their connection there.

The specs of the OnePlus one at USD350 is probably comparable to those from the big names at CAD600-700.

The specs of the uleFone Be Pro I got at CAD150 is probably comparable to those from the big names at CAD300-400.

It's true that support and longevity is questionable at best for these Chinese phones, I'm not very impressed that my Note II completely died on me out of the blue after two years of use.

I guess if I get two years out of this Chinese phone, I'll be more than satisfied with the return.

I'll just have to see how it goes...
Obviously I was kidding about the iphone. The thing is, specs don't make a phone. People constantly fall into that trap, and end up with crappy china phones. You think it's great, and it might be for a few weeks or even months. Then it starts to degrade and you wish you had just spent the money for a better quality phone.

See how it goes... I think you'll agree eventually.
Old 03-03-2015, 09:56 PM   #19
The RS Freebie guru

Quote:
Obviously I was kidding about the iphone. The thing is, specs don't make a phone. People constantly fall into that trap, and end up with crappy china phones. You think it's great, and it might be for a few weeks or even months. Then it starts to degrade and you wish you had just spent the money for a better quality phone.

See how it goes... I think you'll agree eventually.
Definitely possible, and time will tell.

However, I think it's also possible that some China manufacturers might be trying to make devices that are better built now and trying to establish themselves as reputable names - maybe like the Kia of the mobile world.

If the phone lasts me more than two years, I'll be more than satisfied.
If it lasts me one year, I'll be okay with that.
If it lasts me less than a year, I'll be disappointed.
Old 03-03-2015, 10:18 PM   #20

Prepare to make the Sherman Face
Old 03-04-2015, 12:17 AM   #21

Quote:
Prepare to make the Sherman Face
i feel like this could be your new sig

Quote:
Greenstoner
originalhypa
Quote:

Old 03-04-2015, 12:28 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLOW View Post
i feel like this could be your new sig
I'm right every time
Old 03-04-2015, 12:40 AM   #23
YOU CANT CUT BACK ON FUNDING! YOU WILL REGRET THIS

Thanked 3,092 Times in 1,038 Posts
this is a website that's part of my daily read now.
Gizchina.com - Chinese phone, Android smartphone, tablet news and reviews | Gizchina.com
Old 03-04-2015, 07:22 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amuro Ray View Post
sounds pretty nsfw when you pronounce it as 'jizz-china'

Quote:
Greenstoner
originalhypa
Quote:

Old 03-04-2015, 10:32 PM   #25

Thanked 1,584 Times in 633 Posts
huawei is rumor to be the next nexus phone maker

Huawei supposedly confirmed as the next Nexus phone maker - GSMArena.com news

Quote:
Originally Posted by hk20000 View Post
I went up to a cute chick and asked her if she'd let me take a photo of her for $30 she slapped me, she said to me that "I AIN'T A WHORE!"

But other than that I have seen every car on display in DTP just by cruising about in Richmond, thank you very much for collecting them together and get someone to sing a cover for "fuck you".

OH FUCK YOU OH OH OOOOH~
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neva View Post
wtf man? what the hell kind of women do you go for? spca is for animals not dates...
ae101 is offline   Reply With Quote