REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 02-27-2015, 08:08 AM   #51
I subscribe to Revscene

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
Nobody is arguing, it's just fascinating. Like I still can't comprehend someone seeing it as white. It just makes my brain spin.

And for some people it goes "back and forth"? That's mind boggling.
it is mind boggling.
it's been going back and forth for me as well
Advertisement
Durrann is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-27-2015, 08:14 AM   #52
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,904 Times in 3,867 Posts
Quote:
Nobody is arguing, it's just fascinating. Like I still can't comprehend someone seeing it as white. It just makes my brain spin.
That's how you know someone has hit advanced levels of taking a poor quality picture.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 08:18 AM   #53
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Thanked 4,518 Times in 691 Posts
Quote:
Yet you came in here and posted a reply
Sure did. When it keeps getting bumped to the top of every damn newsfeed long after it's been solved and is really not that interesting to begin with, that's really how I feel.

Ironically, I realize I just bumped this to the top again.

I'm walking away.
1992 Nissan President Sovereign, Black
1991 Nissan Skyline GT-R, Black
1989 Nissan Skyline GTS-4, Black
1986 Porsche 944, Black
SpartanAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 08:24 AM   #54
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,808 Times in 8,185 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
That's how you know someone has hit advanced levels of taking a poor quality picture.
Pretty much! I always fuck around with colour temperature to make sure it looks right. All the way back to my first digital camera bought in like 2001
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 08:44 AM   #55
I don't like cheese but I love milk!

Quote:
Originally Posted by corollagtSr5 View Post
Your eyes have retinas, the things that let you interpret color. There’s rods, round things, and cones that stick out, which is what gives your eye a textured appearance in the colored part. The “cones” see color. The “rods” see shade, like black, white and grey. Cones only work when enough light passes through. So while I see the fabric as white, someone else may see it as blue because my cones aren’t responding to the dim lighting. My rods see it as a shade (white). There’s three cones, small, medium and large. They are blue sensitive, green sensitive, and red sensitive.
As for the black bit (which I see as gold), it’s called additive mixing. Blue, green and red are the main colors for additive mixing. This is where it gets really tricky. Subtractive mixing, such as with paint, means the more colors you add the murkier it gets until it’s black. ADDITIVE mixing, when you add the three colors eyes see best, red, green and blue, (not to be confused with primary colors red, blue and yellow) it makes pure white.

—Blue and Black: In conclusion, your retina’s cones are more high functioning, and this results in your eyes doing subtractive mixing.

—White and Gold: our eyes don’t work well in dim light so our retinas rods see white, and this makes them less light sensitive, causing additive mixing, (that of green and red), to make gold.
I don't buy this retina bs
probably just comes down to whether your brain interprets the pictures being taken in a shaded, neutral white lighting (w&g) or a very yellowish lighting (b&b)

The picture is so shitty and without any clear background, there is no information we can use in the picture to figure out what lighting condition it was actually taken in...so we arbitrary attribute either one of the 2 lighting condition it could've been in and see 2 different colors dress.

I guess it is like the dancing silhouette and moving train illusions, but for colors instead of movement.
Ferra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 08:55 AM   #56
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 3,899 Times in 1,380 Posts
This is the kind of stuff that "blows up on Twitter"? Another reason I'm not on there. Ha!
I honestly only see white and gold. I can't even comprehend blue and black. Is this some sort of mind trick or something?
white rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 09:00 AM   #57
what manner of phaggotry is this

Thanked 5,473 Times in 1,814 Posts
When I made my first guess I said white/gold because I am so used to seeing photography of snow scenes with the wrong white balance like tungsten making the snow look blue. So my lightroom/photoshop brain was correcting the highlights white balance to white.

If I stop looking at the white and focus on the black/gold, my mind slowly changes to blue/black
Old 02-27-2015, 09:10 AM   #58
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Thanked 1,830 Times in 233 Posts
white and gold on monitor
bkue and black on phone
nsmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 10:27 AM   #59
GO FLAMES GO

Thanked 2,210 Times in 701 Posts
I dunno, looks straight forward black and blue...people who don't know that have some serious eye problems lol
2001 Acura Integra Type-R *SOLD*
Club-Integra.net OG
Your Friendly Neighborhood Firefighter
Tegra_Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 02-27-2015, 10:28 AM   #60
mb_
WUB WUB WUB WUB WUB

Thanked 7,009 Times in 1,889 Posts
I see blue/black on my phone, computer at home and computer at work lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowguy View Post
fuck you hipster
Quote:
Originally Posted by trollguy View Post
then fuck you hipster akinari
Quote:
[23-05, 11:34] FastAnna suck a dick ygay
mb_ is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-27-2015, 10:37 AM   #61
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,022 Times in 450 Posts
Saw different colors in different monitors. If anything, this useless issue only reinforces my desires to get a new monitor. Dell must be behind this bullshit because I've been thinking of their U2715H the whole week (Dell UltraSharp 27 Inch QHD Monitor ? U2715H). FML
Spoon is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 02-27-2015, 10:46 AM   #62
Need to Seek Professional Help

The correct answer is men prefer the dress off, so we don't care about the colour!
RS_Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 10:50 AM   #63
what manner of phaggotry is this

Thanked 5,473 Times in 1,814 Posts
To bring back some internet history, which was is the girl spinning

Old 02-27-2015, 10:52 AM   #64
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Try looking at the picture in the sunlight with your phone. Tilt the phone and u will see different colors. Magic.
sekin67835 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 11:21 AM   #65
Banned (ABWS)?

Thanked 3,984 Times in 1,689 Posts
The actual colour of the dress in OP image is PALE GRAYISH BLUE, and DARK BRONZE.

Except the actual colours of the dress are claiming to be this: BLUE and BLACK.

Last edited by AzNightmare; Today at 10:09 AM
AzNightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-27-2015, 11:34 AM   #66
nuggets mod

Thanked 3,796 Times in 981 Posts
i love how people claim that the 'actual' colour is blue/black.. but when you look at the photoshop data, it comes out as AzN mentioned above...
Old 02-27-2015, 11:42 AM   #67
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 7,170 Times in 2,403 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzNightmare View Post
The actual colour of the dress in OP image is PALE GRAYISH BLUE, and DARK BRONZE.

Except the actual colours of the dress are claiming to be this: BLUE and BLACK.

When you go to the theaters to watch a movie and it's a dark scene, is the darkness black? The screen is white!
2010 Toyota Rav4 Limited V6 - Wifey's Daily Driver
2009 BMW 128i - Daily Driver
2007 Toyota Rav4 Sport V6 - Sold
1999 Mazda Miata - Sold
2003 Mazda Protege5 - Sold
1987 BMW 325is - Sold
1990 Mazda Miata - Sold

100% Buy and Sell Feedback
sonick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 11:46 AM   #68
Banned (ABWS)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonick View Post
When you go to the theaters to watch a movie and it's a dark scene, is the darkness black? The screen is white!
Can you be more elaborate. I don't understand the point you're trying to make.
The colours we see on the white screen will be dictated by the colours the projector is showing...
Old 02-27-2015, 11:59 AM   #69
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 7,170 Times in 2,403 Posts
I am trying to discern how people would define the 'correct' colour; whether it's correct to say what it actually IS, or what it is meant to represent. Note that this is all train of thought and I don't claim to really know anything.

Yes in the photo the raw colour values show the dress is pale blue and bronze. However, a photo is supposed to be a representation of reality; which in reality the dress is blue and black.

In a movie theater, you are technically looking at a white screen. When you look at a B&W photograph of a black object on a white background projected onto a white screen, on the face value, the object is actually white because of the white screen.

However when you ask 'what colour is the object projected onto the screen', would it be more or less correct to say the object is black because you are taking into account context of the entire image as a representation of the actual piece in reality.

Note I use B&W as an example as colour is probably a whole other can of worms which I am not smart enough to comprehend.
2010 Toyota Rav4 Limited V6 - Wifey's Daily Driver
2009 BMW 128i - Daily Driver
2007 Toyota Rav4 Sport V6 - Sold
1999 Mazda Miata - Sold
2003 Mazda Protege5 - Sold
1987 BMW 325is - Sold
1990 Mazda Miata - Sold

100% Buy and Sell Feedback
sonick is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-27-2015, 02:40 PM   #70
I keep RS good

Thanked 5,539 Times in 1,502 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
It's a shitty picture of an ugly dress for fucks sake.

What nobody has mentioned is: are you arguing about the colour it actually is, or the colour it appears in your screen after being photographed with a carrot? It doesn't matter how good your eyes or screens are when the source is garbage.
The fact that you have to ask that question means you are stuck in one perspective. You cannot see what we are talking about.

The ACTUAL dress is black and blue

The photo is of the black and blue dress in the sunlight.
Everyone that sees black and blue sees the dress in sunlight. The black is faded Cuz of the sun and the blue is lighter Cuz of the sun.

The people that see GOLD AND WHITE literally see the white power ranger gold and white. Like its not "faded" or "bad picture"

It LITERALLY is Gold and white (like the Nike shoes and power ranger posted in this thread)

It is not an argument of what the actual dress is. It is the literal color of the picture.

Did you not read my post? You either see it for what it really is. Or you see gold and white.

I'm not talking about putting a god damn color palette next to the "blacks" and going "oh it's actually a very dark shade of brownish yellow tinge over black"

You KNOW it's black because it's a faded photo.

The people that claim it's white and gold literally fucking see white and gold. Not like a literal technical comparison to some color chart.

It seems that some people cannot switch. And some people once switched cannot switch back.

Sorry dude. You just don't get what we are talking about. Until you see the shift. You'll be in the darkness of subjective ignorance.

Like an old person unable to hear some frequency. Or a color blind person not being able to distinguish a green and brown stripped shirt from just a pure brown shirt. Except those are kinda bad examples because they are physical deficiencies. This dress thing is to do with color shade expectations with surrounding light and background color. Your subconscious for whatever reason favors what you see and feeds it to your conscious mind and you interpret it as some color.

For people that never see a shift, perhaps with more rigid subconscious mind that haven't fully accepted and realised (at the subconscious level) the unreliability of the 5 senses (rely too much on sensual confirmation rather than intuition), their minds are too hard wired into certain color pattern expectations and their mind just cannot elasticize enough to make it shift.
Ulic Qel-Droma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 02:48 PM   #71
I keep RS good

Thanked 5,539 Times in 1,502 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonick View Post
Yes in the photo the raw colour values show the dress is pale blue and bronze. However, a photo is supposed to be a representation of reality; which in reality the dress is blue and black.
Yes exactly. The shitty photo is a representation of reality. And some people see the representation despite the shitty photo. They have the intuition to know that it's actually a black and blue dress and that the "tint" is from the sunlight and shit camera.

OTHERS however CANNOT see the representation of reality. They think in reality the dress is actually gold and white.

It's not hard to understand people. Even if you don't see it. You should understand what the fuck we are talking about.
Ulic Qel-Droma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 04:43 PM   #72
Banned (ABWS)?

That's so weird...

I literally see Gold and tint of blue. And concluded it was actually a white and gold dress, because the dress was taken under low lighting.

Just like how we can determine this car is not blue, yet an image sampler will show you it is blue.

This blue imo is just about as blue as that blue dress is in the OP image.
Yet we can conclude the dress is blue, but this car is white?

Seeing enough white cars under low lighting or under a shade or such, it's easy to determine how white would look like in this specific scenario.

At this point, I am strongly convinced everyone sees the same shade of
PALE GRAYISH BLUE, and DARK BRONZE.
What I want to know is what visual cues did the people that saw "blue/black" use to determine the dress was blue and black?

I'm having a hard time believing the lighting could consistently change black to gold, but not turn the blue parts yellowish too. I'm not sure where was it stated this was taken under sunlight, because up to this point, I was lead to think the dress was taken from an indoor store based on the background.

If the exposure was messed, I still don't see where the gold would have came from.

Black is a tough colour to manipulate, especially if it's not reflective, such as cloth. So for the black areas to show yellow tint of any sort, there must be a strong yellow spot light (Maybe sunlight does play into this then, so we'll go with that for argument's sake). But then wouldn't blue (a colour that's easier to be manipulated) also show tints of yellow?

I'm not a colour theorist though so maybe strong yellow can washout blue completely just leaving a pale blue colour rather than showing any yellow because of some "spectrum cancellation colour magic".
Old 02-27-2015, 06:00 PM   #73
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 4,735 Times in 812 Posts
The colour of the dress is go fuck yourself.
Old 02-27-2015, 07:51 PM   #74
It's like going crazy when you're already nuts

Thanked 2,902 Times in 749 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bananana View Post
I don't understand where people are getting black/blue. I'm sitting here on a $5k rendering rig with colour calibrated S-IPS monitors. It's blue/gold for me.

Either people have very shitty uncalibrated tn-displays or I'm fucking crazy. I think the whole thing is bullshit

/thread
Ionno, I'm using a 1 month new Dell Ultrasharp IPS and it looks gold/white to me.

I'm due for an eye exam anyways. Maybe I'll ask my optometrist what her opinion is lulz
Old 02-27-2015, 10:34 PM   #75
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Thanked 1,399 Times in 396 Posts
v_tec is offline   Reply With Quote