REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   The Turth About Pimp My Ride (https://www.revscene.net/forums/701846-turth-about-pimp-my-ride.html)

murd0c 02-27-2015 08:04 AM

The Truth About Pimp My Ride

Past contestants on MTV's popular TV show "Pimp My Ride" did a Reddit AMA, detailing how the show was staged

Here's What Really Happened To The Cars From 'Pimp My Ride'

Quote:

"Pimp My Ride" premiered on MTV in 2004 with a straightforward premise that was beautiful in its simplicity: Take a kid with a beat up car and have the rapper Xzibit orchestrate a massive and ridiculous upgrade. The theme song explained it all in just a few lines: "So you wanna be a player, but your wheels ain't fly / You gotta hit us up, to get a pimp't out ride."

But although the show operated within such a minimal framework, things were a bit more complicated behind the scenes. From cars that would break down in a matter of weeks to fat-shaming a contestant to one MTV employee apparently trying to convince another car owner to break up with his girlfriend, there was a lot more to the creation of this show than Xzibit simply saying, "Yo dawg."

The Huffington Post spoke with three of the kids who got their cars pimped: Jake Glazier from Season 4 and Seth Martino and Justin Dearinger from Season 6. All three had previously done brief AMAs on Reddit about their time on the show. (It should be noted that each appeared on "Pimp My Ride" near the later half of its run.) And for a perspective from the other side of the camera, co-executive producer Larry Hochberg responded to a few of the claims made by contestants.

Although all of the people spoken to about "Pimp My Ride" ultimately had mostly positive experiences, the reality of what it took to get pimped ended up being even more strange than expected.

"I was very excited and naïve, so they could have told me unicorns were making me breakfast and I wouldn’t have questioned it," Martino said. Viewers of this aughts-spectacle ended up having the same experience ...

In Justin Dearinger's Reddit AMA, he claimed that "they actually take out a lot of the stuff that they showed on TV," such as in his case, a "pop-up" champagne contraption and a "drive-in theater." Further explaining to HuffPost, Dearinger said that they removed the champagne part because the show didn't want to condone drinking and driving. The theater was removed for not being street safe.

According to Larry Hochberg, however, the removals were done with a specific purpose in mind. "Sometimes we did things for safety reasons that the kids on show interpreted as us 'taking away' some items," he said. He gave an example where 24-inch spinner rims on a 1977 Cutlass would look amazing for television, but "out of abundance of caution" they'd end up switching the spinners to "beautiful 20s for daily driving."

That said, it seems as if things were occasionally put into cars with no intention of them ever working in real life. For example, a robotic arm installed into Seth Martino's car was, as he put it, actually solely "controlled by commands that were entered into a laptop by the spiky haired guy off screen." In reality, it "was just a robotic arm with a bunch of wires hanging out of it."

Click the link for the rest of the article but talk about not a surprise at all.

One of the rides 5 years later going up in flames

http://i.imgur.com/qxS2TG6.jpg

meme405 02-27-2015 08:14 AM

Oh my god. RS is quickly becoming the same as all those shitty articles littering my FB news Feed.

What's the next thread about: "She bought a curling iron, but you won't believe what she found in the box..."

Akinari 02-27-2015 08:22 AM

The Turth About Pimp My Ride

The Turth About Pimp My Ride

The Turth

Turth

white rocket 02-27-2015 09:09 AM

I always thought this was the case. No surprise.

murd0c 02-27-2015 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by meme405 (Post 8602377)
Oh my god. RS is quickly becoming the same as all those shitty articles littering my FB news Feed.

What's the next thread about: "She bought a curling iron, but you won't believe what she found in the box..."

You telling me you never watched that show growing up and wanted your car pimped? I never even saw this on FB yet to post it up.

MeowMeow 02-27-2015 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by murd0c (Post 8602428)
You telling me you never watched that show growing up and wanted your car pimped? I never even saw this on FB yet to post it up.

I gotta admit I wanted one of those pimped out cars when I was like 10
looking back :heckno:

hotjoint 02-27-2015 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by meme405 (Post 8602377)

I see both of those on my FB feed :lol

murd0c 02-27-2015 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hotjoint (Post 8602435)
I see both of those on my FB feed :lol

weird still nothing on mine :suspicious:

I saw it directly on Huffington post this morning.

underscore 02-27-2015 10:22 AM

Sounds like the show was actually more realistic than I thought. That said, the cars seemed to be better in the first few seasons with WCC.

The car that lit on fire was worked on a lot after the show as well, so I wouldn't be blaming the show for that.

AzNightmare 02-27-2015 10:25 AM

I wouldn't mind if they pimped my ride with ugly spinners on the show.
Then removed them and gave me "boring plain" new rims....

freakshow 02-27-2015 10:43 AM

The article is just a huge exaggeration. It's called the normal complications of a tv show.
At the end, they even say that all of the contestants they talked to would gladly go on the show again and had 'no real complaints'.

TOS'd 02-27-2015 10:47 AM

what is the turth?

SpeedStars 02-27-2015 10:59 AM

http://d2x3wmakafwqf5.cloudfront.net...2_1484772a.jpg das noth funny guis

hotjoint 02-27-2015 11:57 AM

http://f1.bcbits.com/img/a2498308051_10.jpg

josel_atr 02-27-2015 02:06 PM

i wonder if its the same case for Overhaulin.

you guys ever seen an episode?

take some of the nice things back and replace with parts with lesser value...

meme405 02-27-2015 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by josel_atr (Post 8602552)
i wonder if its the same case for Overhaulin.

It's not. Countless overhaulin' cars and trucks have popped up for sale. Some owners have stated they couldn't drive the cars any longer cause they were "too nice".

white rocket 02-27-2015 02:45 PM

Comparing Pimp My Ride to Overhaulin' is like comparing Canadian Tire to Super Autobacs. Pretty much a frame off resto on every build.

Soundy 02-27-2015 04:35 PM

Wait... you mean reality TV... ISN'T REAL???