REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   Pulled over for being a male driver, any discrimination rights violated here? (https://www.revscene.net/forums/701889-pulled-over-being-male-driver-any-discrimination-rights-violated-here.html)

CharlesInCharge 02-28-2015 02:09 PM

Pulled over for being a male driver, any discrimination rights violated here?

Its around midnight and Im coming home in my mothers van and get pulled over at Hastings and Granville.

There reason being that the van is registered to a female and they noticed me driving being a male of course.
(My mothers insurance allows for other drivers to operate the car.)

Was I discriminated against here?

rriggi 02-28-2015 02:14 PM

Quote:

van is registered to a female and they noticed me driving being a male
Probably just a random check, not discriminatory, inconvenient yes but be glad they checked, i.e car was stolen.

XplicitLuder 02-28-2015 02:25 PM

ya its discrimination. Shoulda told them you were actually a female

CharlesInCharge 02-28-2015 02:25 PM

Dont they need probable cause?
The police officer was a lady with a male passenger and another backup car that arrived soon after.

pinn3r 02-28-2015 02:29 PM

lol yo chill

CharlesInCharge 02-28-2015 02:33 PM

I want to cash in on any of my rights being violated in this police state.

SpeedStars 02-28-2015 02:39 PM

did CiC get hacked?? Yes there is probable cause that the van may have been stolen because it is registered under a female. If you were a female driving a car registered to another female, they may have not checked...Or if your mom's name was like Sam or Charlie

radioman 02-28-2015 02:49 PM

Welcome back CiC! Totally didn't miss you!

CharlesInCharge 02-28-2015 02:53 PM

Im not really "back"... and I still have you on my ignore list ;)

@SpeedStars
:p
I guess where we're at is if these police assumptions are actually probable cause in the laws... anyone know for sure?

edit
p.s. I had been ticketed in the past in the same van a year ago (with the same insurance clause to have others operate it).

underscore 02-28-2015 02:58 PM

They can pull you over simply to check that you have a license so I'm not too sure what the problem is here.

CharlesInCharge 02-28-2015 03:05 PM

There are three races, white, black and Asian.
To put in specifics, the officer pulling me over was another race and sex then me.

If the laws in Canada let police pull over any car to check for licensed drivers... then they can keep pulling over blacks to check their licenses all day long without any problems of civilians to file a discrimination suit then, correct?

CCA-Dave 02-28-2015 03:23 PM

Is this thread serious?

I'm 100% okay with a vehicle being pulled over at midnight because the driver (in some way or another) clearly doesn't match the registered owner. I don't think that's a profiling problem, I think it's actually a helpful and reasonable use of police resources. BECAUSE, if my car is being driven after midnight by a person who clearly doesn't match my registered name in some way or another, I would be quite happy to hear police pulled them over to find out if their story seemed reasonable or not.

Now, true, I'm a white male so probably don't experience profiling in the way that others do or feel they do. BUT I have been pulled over in the middle of the day because I'm clearly not Asian and I'm driving a vehicle with a very Asian sounding name on the ownership. In that particular case the modifications piqued the officer's interest, and when he ran the plate he realized there was very little chance I was the owner, so I was pulled over for a check. Another time I was pulled over in Montreal while driving a professional rallyists race car. The cop knew I wasn't said "top five" driver, and pulled me over to inquire as to why I had the race car and confirm that it hadn't been stolen.

In both cases I left feeling like I had found two traffic officers that were great at their jobs, and interested in doing more for the community than simply meeting a ticket quota.

-D

zilley 02-28-2015 03:46 PM

are you fucking retarded?

Klondike 02-28-2015 03:48 PM

lol just tuck your dick next time and use a falsetto.

(also wb u cheeky scrub)

CharlesInCharge 02-28-2015 04:04 PM

:)

Quote:

Originally Posted by CCA-Dave (Post 8603020)
BUT I have been pulled over in the middle of the day because I'm clearly not Asian and I'm driving a vehicle with a very Asian sounding name on the ownership. In that particular case the modifications piqued the officer's interest, and when he ran the plate he realized there was very little chance I was the owner, so I was pulled over for a check. ....

Why would he run your plates if you didnt do anything wrong?
This is police state bull shit... if people were pulled over in Saudi Arabia on suspicions... people would say thats what you get for living in a authoritarian state... with big brother police state tactics.
Come to Canada to live in a free country.

I suspect why they pulled me over... but they used an "unmatched registered owner" excuse... so I want to also use a profiling excuse in court so that
1) they wont target me again
2) get monetary compensation for PTSD

CCA-Dave 02-28-2015 04:12 PM

Quote:

sigh.

You were pulled over, grow up and deal with it.

CharlesInCharge 02-28-2015 04:17 PM

Now every police car and undercover in my view will put me in stress.
I have to conceal any Marajuana I have in the car... think of excuses for being late in my affairs.

underscore 02-28-2015 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CharlesInCharge (Post 8603032)
Why would he run your plates if you didnt do anything wrong?

How else are they supposed to know if it's stolen or wanted for some other reason?

Quote:

Originally Posted by CharlesInCharge (Post 8603032)

Because you were pulled over in a car that wasn't yours? Are you fucking kidding me? You going to try and falsely claim to have a disorder that impacts and ends thousands of peoples lives just so you can try to scam some money in court?

SoNaRWaVe 02-28-2015 05:16 PM

you do know that police officers run random plate checks...amongst other reasons why they would run a plate check. maybe there was a van that was stolen recently that matched the your van's description.

stop being so self centered. its not always about you.

Inaii 02-28-2015 05:26 PM

I don't usually respond to CiC threads, but you're a fucking idiot. Please disappear again.

meme405 02-28-2015 05:52 PM

:Popcorn

NSX 02-28-2015 06:18 PM

Checking documentation is part of a traffic stop. Police have absolutely every right to stop the vehicle to check to see why the driver doesnt match the RO. You dont like it? Then dont drive a vehicle. Once you get into a vehicle, you fall under the (Traffic Safety Act) -Alberta, which i assume is very similar to BC, and you give Police a tremendous amount of power, unlike walking down the street.

T4RAWR 02-28-2015 06:49 PM

what are you doing after midnight cruising around hastings in your mom's minivan anyways?

SoNaRWaVe 02-28-2015 07:01 PM

he did say marijiuana

v_tec 02-28-2015 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by T4RAWR (Post 8603073)
what are you doing after midnight cruising around hastings in your mom's minivan anyways?

Renting his van out by the hour :troll: